Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Links Return ❯ Chapter ten ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Zelda.
AN: I was kind of disappointed by who few people commented that they wanted me to continue…oh well. Water temple! My least favorite temple! That's my reason for doing it early (and the reason why it's not very… temple like…).



The temple was cold… and dark… and wet. Blue glared. “I'm gonna get sick down here! How the hell can you stand this!?”

Ruto looked back and glared as well. “Oh shut up! You should be happy! You've been given a gift and all you can do is complain!?” They'd been swimming for almost an hour, and they'd yet to run in to anything evil. “There's a left turn about three feet in front of you, then an automatic right.”

Blue slowed down and felt till he found the wall. “Got it.” He muttered, swimming around the corner. “Ruto?”

Since it was so dark, Ruto had to give him directions, or warnings, and talk to him to keep him from swimming into something, or off at an angle. She could see in the dark, so long as it was under water. “This way.” She called, then frowned. “How come you hate water so much?”

“I don't hate it.” He argued truth fully. “But I don't like being wet, because clothes become heavy, and I don't like being under water, because it becomes hard to use my sword. You ever try swinging a sword under water?”

“No. We use weapons designed for water use. They work with the water instead of against it.” She sounded proud. “Hurry up! You Hylian's are such slow swimmers!”

“Shut up! I'm not a fish! What do you-“

“Upward angle!”

“-expect?” He sighed. “How much longer till me get there?”

“I don't know… I've never used this way.” She stopped. “And I don't know why. These tunnels are strong, they won't collapse… and I was always told this was a temple.”

Blue stopped as well, glad for the break. He would never admit it but all that swimming was tiring him out. “I don't know. It's not like any temple I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.” He laughed. “I'll bet the collapsing thing was just to keep little kids like you from messing around in here.”

She huffed. “I'm not a kid. And I doubt it. There aren't even any fish here.” She started swimming again. “At least it's all one tunnel.” (1)

Blue nodded, not realizing she couldn't see him. `This is really taking to long.'

“Come straight down!” She ordered, surprising him. “I think we're almost out of-AHHHHH!!!”

“Ruto!?”

“S-Somethi ng's got me!!!” She screamed.

Blue swam down. “I can't see anything!” He snapped, drawing his sword.

“In front of you!” Blue swung, and felt his sword cut threw something. Ruto swam behind him, and clutched his tunic. “Thanks. To you're left.”

Blue held his sword at a defensive position. “You wanna tell me what I'm fighting?”

“Seaweed.”

“What!?R 21; He asked, unconsciously lowering his sword. “Seaweed isn't-“ a leaf-like substance wrapped around his neck, attempting to choke him. Angrily he sliced threw it. “Goddesses! Attacking seaweed!? What next!?”

Ruto gasped. “Swing downward!” Blue obeyed, and his sword bounced off something hard and rock like. “That hurt it! It's retreating! Quick! This way!”

They swam past the think, and down another long tunnel. Ruto swam next to Blue, afraid to take the lead. “I would have beaten it if I could see.” Blue grumbled.

Ruto giggled. “I-It's fine. Thank you for saving me.” (2)

“I am here to protect you.” He replied unthinking. (3)

They swam straight for another ten minutes, till Ruto cheered. “Up! There's a door!” She swam ahead eagerly. “Come on! Come on! Come on!”

“I'm coming!” He yelled back annoyed. He finally reached her at the `door' which was actually more of a lid. He could hear Ruto trying to push it out of the way. “Gezz…” He muttered, then helped her push it open. Light came in as they did. “This has to be the exit…”

When they finally got it completely out of the way, they stuck their heads out of the water. “Wow…” Ruto gasped. They were in a huge round room. The ceiling was far away, and the walls were painted gold and white. Blue hoisted himself out of the hole, and helped Ruto out as well. The ground they stood on was round with stairs leading downward, but there was only one door. “This is beautiful…” she whispered.

“I guess…” he muttered looking around. “The others would like it more. Especially Red.” He shook his head. “Lets keep going.” He walked down to the door, and opened it. The next room had the some colors and high ceilings, as the first, but it was square, with three doors. One to the left, right, and straight across, with a big lock on it. “So… one or two?”

“Huh, me? Oh… one.” Ruto answered.

The room to the right was a large square room with three levers. “Well this looks easy.”

“Two of then are probably traps.” Ruto pointed out.

He stared at them for a second then looked at her. “Well, you're a Zora. Which one?” she shrugged. “Ok…” he yanked down the middle one. The floor tiles, begin dropping away, revealing an empty dark space underneath, leading to who knows where. “That wasn't it.” Blue realized, and pulled the other two as well (4).

A small key fell from the ceiling, and Ruto caught it. “Blue! The floor!”

“I know!” With a huff, he jumped a large gap, landing safely. “Now jump over!”

She shook her head. “I can't! I'm made to swim! I can't jump!”

“Ruto!” Blue snapped as more of the floor disappeared. “We don't have time! Just do it!”

“I…” She swallowed hard. “A-All right!” Backing up as far as she could, she took a running start, and jumped. True to her word, she didn't jump far. She just barley touched the other side with her finger, and slipped off screaming.

Blue caught her wrist. “Jeez! Stop over reacting.” He pulled her up. “I wouldn't have let you fall.”

She smiled widely. “Of course. Thank you, Blue!”

“Now let's get out of here.” They got up and ran out the door. They were safe as soon as they left.

They went in to the room across from the first one. Inside was a single door with a lock. “At least we know what the keys for.” Ruto said, unlocking it. They stepped inside.

(Insert dramatic music!)

The door slammed shut behind them, and metal bars dropped down to block their exit. Blue pushed Ruto behind him, and drew his sword. “Stay here.” He ordered.

“I wasn't planning on moving.” She answered honestly. In the room, there were black creachers, that looked like Ganondorfs monsters, but all black. There were ten Moblin's, at least twenty Keese, three Dark Nut's, and two already large Chu-jelly's.

The Moblin's were the first to notice them. Blue deflected their arrows with his shield. “Here! Take this to defend yourself!” He handed the shield to Ruto, and smashed the ground with his hammer, paralyzing his enemies. Blue, taking advantage of their state, charged them, and managed to destroy eight, before they recovered. The noise woke the Keese, sending them into a shrieking fury. `Damn!' He thought, swinging at the blasted things, and backing into a Dark Nut.

“Be careful!” Ruto shouted worriedly, though all she managed to do was attract the monsters attention. “Eep!”

“Your fights with me!” Blue yelled, performing a spin attack that destroyed the rest of the Keese and Moblin's. The Dark Nut he'd bumped into swung at him, and he barley managed to block it, the force of the attack, making him stumble backwards. One of the Chu's jumped him, but he sprung to the side, and it hit the Dark Nut instead, the friendly fire destroying them both. “Hehe. Losers.”

The other two Dark Nut's and Chu, but he paralyzed them again, and toke them out before it wore off. “Wow!” Ruto cheered. “You did great Blue-kun!”

Blue grinned. “Well you know what they say… I'm amazing.” (6) Ruto giggled, and nodded in agreement. A treasure chest appeared magically, so they looked inside and found a big key. “Well that was quick for a dungeon.”

They went back out, and Blue unlocked the last door. It opened by itself. The room was had the same look as the rest of the temple, excluding a large pillar in the middle. “I feel like I'm forgetting something…” Ruto whispered, as they approached the pillar.

Carved into the pillar was a shelf, with a small drawstring bag on it. “What the hell is this?” Blue asked, opening it. It was filled with small white tablets.

“Ah!” Ruto gasped, her eyes lighting up with realization. “Those are high quality water purifying tablets! That's what I forgot! We keep them here for emergencies!”

“So these will fix Lake Hylia?” Blue asked, as he noticed another door behind the pillar.

“Definitely!” She fallowed Blue, as he opened the door… to the Zora kingdom.

……………………& #8230;…………

“Blue and Ruto have been gone a very long time…” Red said sadly. After half an hour of waiting Green and Shadow had returned to the others, and explained what they'd found. “I hope their all right…”

“There's nothing we can do to find out.” Shadow muttered. “I couldn't even fallow them in the Dark world… but I'm sure their fine.”

The five of them were sitting on the grass, not really caring that it was still dark and wet. Green was leaning against a tree, next to Red, who kept looking towards the tunnel hopefully, and Spirit, who was emotionless as ever. Shadow was sitting a bit closer to the lake, with Vio lying next to him reading a book. Green blinked. “Hey Vio, where did you get that book?”

Not looking up from his story, Vio pointed. “There's a book shelf right there.”

There was in fact a bookshelf a few feet away. “Where the heck did that come from!?” Green asked. “It's not even wet!”

“Hey guys!”

Red sprung to his feet. “Blue! Your back!” They all ran over to greet them.

Blue smirked. “Of course I'm back. Did you think a measly temple would stop me? Here. We got the Zora tunics.” He held out some blue tunics. “And we got something even better.”

Ruto held up the pouch. “Blue-kun was amazing! He fought like a hundred enemies at once!” They didn't stand a chance!” she was practically sprouting hearts. Blue was grinning proudly, nodding the whole time.

“Well… I can see someone got a swelled head.” Vio pointed out, earning a glare from Blue. “And I don't think it was a hundred. A dozen… maybe.”

“What!? No!” Blue snapped. “There was way more then a dozen!”

“I'm surprised you know what a dozen means.”

“Hey!”

Green quickly got between them. “Hey, no fighting. What else did you find?”

“Just watch!” Ruto said, pulling a tablet out of the bag and throwing it into the water. Instantly, it stopped boiling, and began to clear up. She smiled joyfully.

“This is great.” Green said taking one of the blue tunics, and pulling it over his head. “Now we can go and find out what's changing the water.”

“We'd better be quick, before the water becomes contaminated again.” Vio said, as the rest of them took their tunics.
……………………… ……

“How much longer Ruto!?” Blue snapped. They'd been swimming downward for about ten minutes.

Ruto shrugged. She was up front, with Spirit next to her, providing light for the others. “I don't know. Lake Hylia's never been this deep before…”She looked back. “It's definitely deeper.” They kept going. The water started to change, so Ruto skillfully pulled out another tablet. “Hey! There's something up ahead!” She swam closer then stopped. “It's huge! …and gross…”

The Links exchanged glances, then swam ahead of her till they were close enough to see. “That explains everything.” Vio said.

Eating away at the bottom of the lake was a giant red slug. It ate slowly, all the while leaking some oozing red liquid, changing the water around it. Heat rolled off it in waves, making it difficult to stay close for very long. “Any idea how to defeat it?” Red asked.

“I have one.” Vio answered distracted. “I'm willing to bet those pills will have some effect on it. If we could get it to swallow some…”

“We just need to get close enough to use them.” Spirit pointed out. “We need a distraction.”

Red waved his hand. “I could use my ice rod to freeze it!” he pulled out the blue rod, and twirled it in his hand.

“How long will it stay frozen?”

Red looked over at the slug. “…Only a few seconds.”

“Then let's get closer.” Green said. “Ruto you should stay back.”

“No way.” She said, stomping her foot against the water. “You need my tablets, and they stay with me.” She leaned in close. “If you want them, then you have to let me come.”

They exchanged looks. “Fine.” Green shrugged. “We don't have time to argue, let's just go.”

As they swam closer they realized how big it was. The size of three good houses. Ruto gasped. “I recognize that! Dozens of then live here. They keep the water nice to live in, by eating the bacteria, and stuff. But I've never seen one so big before…” She looked unnerved by this discovery.

“It must be the same as Piz.” Red said. “It's been changed by Malachi.”

Shadow frowned. “I'll bet your right.”

“Then we have to hope the tablets don't kill it.” Green said. “Blue, you and Spirit are the strongest swimmers, besides Ruto obviously. We'll swim as close as we can, Red will freeze it, then you two go with Ruto to its mouth.”

They swam closer, till it was to hot to continue. “Ice Rod!” Red yelled, pointing the weapon. The water in front of the rod froze, and for a moment everyone wondered if the thing would work underwater. An icy column formed from the rod, hitting the slug and freezing it. Every one sighed with relief.

Blue, Spirit, and Ruto took off, swimming towards the mouth. The ice cracked loudly, as the heat began melting it. They were only a few feet away when the ice shattered, and the creacher broke free. They all covered their faces to ward off the glass like spray. The slug, enraged, spit up a blob of red slime that they were barley able to dodge. “Damn!” Blue hissed. “Are we close enough to throw the tablet, Ruto?”

“No! It'll dissolve before it reaches it.”

Spirit scowled. “It's getting hot again.”

“Can Red freeze it again?” Ruto asked.

“Not with us so close.” Blue said. “We need to get-whoa!”

The slug had opened its mouth, and was trying to suck them in. “It's to strong!” Spirit said, as they were pulled towards it.

Ruto looked between them, and then dove forward, determined, straight into the slug's mouth. “Are you insane, Ruto!?” Blue yelled. The slug closed its mouth and swallowed (1). “Damn it…”

Suddenly the slug twitched, then twitched again. Then it burped (XD), and Ruto came flying out, holding a black Spork thing like Piz had had. Instantly the slug shrank back to normal size and ceased being hot. “Everything is better now!” Ruto cheered.

“That was a foolish move.” Spirit scolded.

“I can't believe I didn't think of it first!” Blue exclaimed. She smiled.

The others swam over cheering, then Red pulled out Piz, and they warped to the surface. “You guys did great.” Green congratulated.

“I'm just glad my home is safe now.” Ruto said with a happy sigh. “Now I can stay here and wait for you to save the rest of my people. “

“You're not coming with us?” Red asked looking disappointed.

“We could use your help.” Blue pointed out.

Ruto shook her head. “No. I belong here. I'm not mush of a fighter.” She smiled, and placed a bunch of tablets in Blues hands. “Take these with you. You may need them.”

Blue nodded, and put them in his pocket. Spirit took the spork and snapped it, before drawing his sword. “I'll return the light now.” Shadow rolled his eyes, before vanishing into the dark.

As Spirit raised the sword over his head, Ruto gasped. “Wait! Look!” She pointed.

Standing by the water's edge was a beautiful Zora woman, wearing a flowing pink-blue dress, and had her arms outstretched invitingly. “Ruto.” She said sweetly, in a warm, loving voice.

The girl blinked, her eyes overflowing with tears. “That's my Moo!” She ran towards her.

“Wait!” The Links yelled trying to grab her, but she was too slippery, and escaped their grasp.

“It's all right guys!” She told them embracing the women. “It's my mom!”

The Zora women returned the hug, turning an evil smirk to the Links. Swearing Blue drew his sword. “Ruto! Get away from her! That's not your mom!”

Ruto looked over her shoulder at them, suddenly looking weak, and tired. “What are you guys talking about…?” Her skin (scales?) turned black were Malachi was touching her (8). The black spread until it covered her entire body, then she vanished.

“Ruto!” They yelled. “What did you do with her!?”

Malachi laughed. “I put her with the rest of Hyrule!” he laughed again. “I have to say thank you `Hero's'! I hadn't even realized I missed her, until you brought her out. I was hoping my slug would cook her the next time she went to swim. Poor planning on my part, I must admit. But she's taken care of now.” Grinning, he disappeared.

“Damn that bastered!” Blue snapped. “I can't believe we let that happen!”

The others looked down feeling equally guilty. Then Green stomped his foot. “We can't blame ourselves! This is another reason to return Hyrule to normal and beat him! Spirit, if you would.”

He nodded. “By the power of the goddess, I banish the darkness!” Light shot from his sword, and cleared the skies. The sun bathed everything in light, making Lake Hylia sparkle, and the world seem like a better place.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wow… that last part was kind of... corny to write. Now for a long list of comments!

(1) If this were made into a game, it wouldn't be all one tunnel. It would have lots of tunnels and you'd have to keep up with Ruto or get lost… like in the Lost Woods.

(2) Ruto starts developing a crush on Blue…

(3) …and the idiot doesn't realize a thing… *sigh*

(4) Again: In a game, you wouldn't get the chance to pull another lever. You'd just fall. Then you would have to do it again.

(5) -Kun is a Japanese honorific; put at the end of a guys name… someone else will have a better definition…

(6)Modest aren't he?

(7) Anyone else see the irony?

(8)Goddesses! That makes him sound like a pedophile! He's not!

Comment! Please!