Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ The Frigid Waters ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
 
July 1790
 
 
It was a beautiful summer day as a galleon floated merrily across the Atlantic Ocean.
 
“Isn't this great?” said 18 year-old James Hiller, “The sun shining, the wind blowing in your face. Perfect Day to be at see.”
 
“I agree with you whole heartily darling.” Said 19 Year-old Sarah Philips/ Hiller.
 
That's right… it was strange but Sarah and James had confessed a about a year ago of their secret feelings for each other.
 
Even though James was sometimes cocky for her tastes… and Sarah was way too much of a snob with her Lady like ways.
 
They both had gotten quite used to it, and when they asked her Parents if they could marry… Elizabeth, and Samuel couldn't say No.
 
It was nice that their daughter had found someone to relate to. Someone who make her happy.
 
And James, as he never even knew what it was like to have real parents, they were more than delighted to let him become a part of the family.
 
James and Sarah were married 6 months ago and Sarah moved in with James to the new Print-shop they had just opened in New-York.
 
The Franklin's Descendants… it was called, as a memorial of their good friend, Dr. Benjamin Franklin who had passed away long before James and Sarah confessed their love.
 
The good Doctor was a loyal friend in truth, and a saint in James' heart. For he had left James an small fortune in his will for James to use in life.
 
James had moved to New York, but waited until he and Sarah talked it over before naming it.
 
James and Sarah hardly ever argued anymore, not even when it came to who had the better story for the paper.
 
James was also really helpful to her. He helped her fetch the water, do the laundry, dusting… All of it.
 
Sometimes, James even allowed Sarah to go to bed early if she was that tired, and he would finish up the duties for her.
 
But Today… they were taking a break from the whole thing, and on a well deserved holiday on a private Ship.
 
Sarah and James had been working really hard, so Samuel, and Elizabeth had invited them and two friends to join them for a two week cruise, and get away from it all.
 
Since James and Sarah decided they might never get another chance, they were delighted to join.
 
They had personally invited their two dearest friends, Henri and Moses to join them.
 
13 year-old Henri however was still getting used to the weather. “Ohh… I think I'm going to be sick.” He said as he ran over and bent over the railing.
 
“Oh, Henri!” said Elizabeth, “That's the fourth time you've done that on this cruise.”
 
“Now, now… Dear.” Said Samuel, “You weren't always so up tight yourself on our honeymoon cruise.”
 
Just the very memory of that made Elizabeth walk over to the other railings and be sick herself.
 
“And here I thought Ladies deprived of that stuff.” Joked Moses.
 
 
That night
 
After a full two servings of dinner, everyone decided to head off to bed, Samuel had checked the upper deck to see if the Captain was watching the helm… he was.
 
But little did he know… the Captain was actually half asleep already.
 
James and Sarah shared a special bed in one of the many rooms on the ship.
 
“Wow… First class really does have it's advantages.” Said James, then he looked over tenderly at Sarah.
 
“But then again… it's not the same without that special someone to share it with.” He said while stroking her long red hair.
 
Sarah snuggled into his arms and embraced in the warmth around them “I love you Mr. Hiller.”
 
“And I love you… Lady Hiller.”
 
Sarah giggled at that, her new title did take some time to get used to, but it was all worth the while if it meant being married to James.
 
They kissed each other goodnight, and snuggled right off to sleep.
 
 
The Next morning
 
 
Something very cold and chilly tickled Sarah's forehead which shook her awake.
 
She looked around the room and saw that the walls were frosted, and the thing that tickled her was a snowflake. One of many dancing around the room.
 
When she saw that James wasn't there, she quickly got dressed and walked up to the deck and discovered that they were sailing through Icy Seas.
 
Ice bergs as tall as buildings. The remains of a few Sunken ships sticking out of the water.
 
“THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!” came her father's voice. Everyone was there fuming madly at the captain.
 
“W-W-what's…. Happening?” Sarah Chattered.
 
“I found this Lollygagging-Lay about asleep at the helm.” Said Samuel, “And now, we're lost!”
 
“We are not lost!” protested the Captain.
 
“Oh yeah… then where are we?” asked Mosses.
 
“Somewhere North… or possibly very, very far South!” said the Captain.
 
“What's your latitude? What's your Longitude?” asked James. The Captain was backed into a corner by the gang of angry people.
 
“You said you could Navigate!” said Samuel.
 
“You said you sailed the world!” Said Elizabeth.
 
“You said you've survived worse than this!” Said Moses.
 
The Captain realized he would have to confess. “Well… I did do well with a D-minus as a sailor.”
 
Everyone's mouths dropped at those words, all this time they had been sailing with a dummy.
 
“Uh… Excuse.” Said Henri “But I think there's something else we should worry about.”
 
“What is it?” asked Moses.
 
“…THAT!!!!”
 
Everyone looked off the stern and saw a huge iceberg heading straight at them.
 
Samuel tried the helm but the rudder was frozen and couldn't shift as easily. “HANG ON EVERYONE!!” he cried.
 
He managed to steer the ship over to the side a bit, but not enough, the Iceberg crashed into the ship and moved it on a slant.
 
The Captain was knocked out cold.
 
Everyone held on tight as the ship rocked about, but Sarah had lost her grip and went sliding across the slippery deck.
 
“SARAH!!” cried James.
 
He ran after her and she just went over the side before James grabbed her by the arms.
 
“Help…. Help!!” cried Sarah, “Don't drop me!”
 
James suddenly felt himself slipping, but he refused to let his wife go.
 
Samuel grabbed James from behind and Elizabeth grabbed onto Samuel. “Come on… PULL!” she squeaked.
 
But all their weight was just making them slip even further downward. Luckily Moses was strong and grabbed Elizabeth from behind.
 
“Well don't just stand there, Henri… HELP US!!” he yelled.
 
Henri nodded and grabbed Moses in one hand and a dangling rope attached to the crows nest pole in the other.
 
 
“Come on… We can do it!” he cried.
 
At least this time they weren't slipping as much, but Sarah was still hanging over the frigid waters 20 feet below.
 
Suddenly… they looked on ahead, and saw a smaller iceberg coming right at them.
 
The Captain was still knocked out cold, and Henri couldn't let go of the rope.
 
The Ice got closer, and then hit the ship right into the middle knocking the stern down even further.
 
“I CAN'T HOLD ON MUCH LONGER!!” cried Henri, and at that, the rope snapped, and all of them fell off the stern and into the icy waters along with Sarah.
 
They all jumped up high screaming and hollering for help, but it was no use. The captain couldn't hear them.
 
Suddenly, the icy waters began taking their effect.
 
“Ev-v-v-veryone…. Huddle c-c-close!” said James… “W-w-w-w-we'll… be… alright!!”
 
They all managed to huddle into a huge group hug until they froze completely solid and became a part of the freezing world around them.