Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ If all goes well. ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ELEVEN
 
 
The crew, the staff form medical quarters, Moses fellow engineers, and myself were having dinner in the lounge.
 
Our meals were given to us automatically by a computer called, FIDO (Food… Intelligence… Dispensing… Officer).
 
He was programmed to Synthesize and dispense all our food that we ordered from his electronic Menu, and could speak with his own stimulated voice.
 
“How are you enjoying your steak, Captain. Tempest?” he asked me.
 
“I'm really enjoying it.” I answered, “Just as I like it too… Thick, juicy and rare, with a lovely baked potato on the side.”
 
“You are most welcome.” said FIDO, “My food synthesizers have also been programmed to dispense food for our newcomers to try as well.”
 
James looked up from his plate of spaghetti and meatballs. “You sure did…. Taste's great.” He said kindly.
 
Sarah was sitting beside him and enjoying a crisp green salad with all the natural dressings.
 
Her mother was enjoying her dish of assorted hard boiled eggs.
 
Moses was having a roast beef sandwich on rye.
 
And Samuel… “Are you enjoying your lentil soup Major Philips?” asked FIDO.
 
Samuel closed his eyes savor the warm taste, “… Just like mother used to make.” He said sounding all blurry.
 
The soft sound of James and Sarah's giggling snapped him out of it, and he put his serious face back on.
 
 
“Captain, I also need to know.” Replied Samuel, “What would happen if our supplies were to run low on our voyage?”
 
I put down my fork and swallowed my steak. “Well it's very simple…” I said. I pressed a switch on the table which turned on a holographic screen.
 
“As you all know, with our present course and speed, we should reach Mars in approximately 168 hours from tonight.”
 
“However, there have indeed been incidents in the past involving a short of supplies on voyages, so we at WASP have established this…”
 
I zoomed the picture in closer to Mars, and showed them a small module orbiting Mars.
 
“This is the WASP's Re-supply Module, or R.E.M.O as we call it. It went into Mars orbit three years ago and has been sending emergency supplies back up supplies to troubled voyagers.”
 
“As long as the R.E.M.O is there… we'll be just fine, but we may need to re-stock it up once we reach Mars.”
 
“You mean if we reach Mars.” Said Elizabeth.
 
“Oh we will get there alright.” Said Henri, “The Astrogaiter has been programmed and it is well on course.”
 
Everyone shared a smile.
 
We all went to bed after dinner, we had a tough day ahead of us, but Henri and I did double check the Astrogaiter on Henri's controls, and Moses decided to stay up a little longer and check over the engines.
 
What nobody noticed, was one of our other crewmates sneak onto the bridge after hours and set himself down at Henri's controls.
 
He tried the joysticks, but Henri had locked in a special code so only he could operate the steering.
 
“Do they honestly think that will stop me?” he said sinisterly under his breath. He reached into his pockets and pulled out a few small pebbles.
 
He placed the pebbles each at a different corner of the bridge, pulled out a strange gun, and fired a beam of light on the pebbles causing them to grow bigger and heavier.
 
“There… that should do it.” Said the strange man as he pressed a watch on his wrist and his body began to change… he was really an Alien.
 
“Agent X-2-0, calling Titan on Mars; Mission accomplished. With these heavy rocks on board they should drift off course.”
 
“Excellent work X-2-0.” Said Titan over the radio, “You have also taken care of any hope they have of retracing their systems?”
 
“Oh, Yes Mighty Titan… they never find a way back to their current position, and even if they do…”
 
He pulled out a pair of wire cutters. “If they so much as even try to activate the systems, they are in for a nasty surprise.”
 
“Well done Agent.” replied Titan, “We are transporting you back here effective at the end of this speech… Titan, out!”
 
A small hum of light surrounded X-2-0's body and he vanished into thin air, while at the same time, the ship was tilting off into another direction.
 
Meanwhile, On Mars
 
 
My Grandfather and his crew had finished their dinner, and most of them had turned in for the night.
 
They may not have gotten the shuttles working again, but they at least were able to set up force fields around the base camp, so Titan's men couldn't even try to try and get in.
 
This did mean that Marsha was safe, as well as Troy, but it changed nothing. They were all still trapped on Mars defending against hostile creatures.
 
At least with Marsh by their side, they wouldn't run out of supplies, all Marsha had to do was fertilize the Earth Vegetation Troy brought with him from Earth.
 
This way, the plants would never die, and in fact, keep on providing the crew with oxygen and food… not a bad arrangement.
 
Troy also had learned that Marsha was all alone. Even though she couldn't speak, she was able to tell him through sing language that Titan killed her family and she was the only survivor.
 
“That Titan…” said Troy, “If I ever get my hands on him again, I'll tear him apart and put him back together inside out.”
 
Marsha however was looking at a picture of Troy and me. “Oh… that's my Grandson, Mykan.” He said. “He's sort of like you in every way.”
 
He told Marsha that he was the only family that I had left since my parents died, and I've been having it hard in life too.
 
But Marsha actually kept starring at me in the picture with a small twinkle in her eyes… `Handsome… so Handsome.” She thought.
 
Troy didn't have to be able to hear her thoughts, he knew what she was thinking.
 
Troy then looked up into the night skies of Mars, `Don't worry Mykan, I'll find a way to come home soon.' He thought to himself.
 
With all that out of the way, he decided to turn in himself. He still had work to do the next day.
 
 
He and his crew may have been trapped on Mars, but that didn't mean they still couldn't maintain their sanity by trying to work out how to get off the planet.