Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ Locked out ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
 
 
Captain's Log:Mission date 2, 9:38 pm…
 
Shortly after becoming hopelessly Lost…
 
Major. Samuel Philips, one of the first people from the American Revolution to ever set foot in Outer-Space has found himself Helplessly adrift when his line snapped while trying to repair Navigational equipment.
 
It is now shortly we are after, as Lady/ Lieutenant. Elizabeth Philips desperatelytries to reach her husband, before he slips even farther off into the trackless void of Outer Space!!
 
End Log!
 
 
Elizabeth fired the gun shooting the line out. Samuel reached with all he could, but stumbled about and missed it entirely.
 
Sarah looked through the window with tears in her eyes. “Mother… you can do it!” she thought.
 
Elizabeth reeled in the line and armed the gun again, this was it, her last chance. Any further, and poor Samuel would be doomed.
 
Everyone crossed their fingers as the gun was fired again. IT got closer, and closer… and he CAUGHT IT!!
 
“She did it.” Cried Henri, “He's going to be okay.”
 
Sarah wiped her eyes and hugged James tenderly, “I'm so proud of my mother.” She sobbed.
 
Outside, Elizabeth gently pulled the line in by hand, and in almost no time she caught Samuel's hand and pulled him onto the steps.
 
Husband and wife stared deeply into each others eyes, since they couldn't kiss because of their helmets, they came together for a tender hug.
 
Just then, James' radar screen was picking up a reading. He disengaged himself from the others and viewed the reading.
 
“It's a Comet!” he said, “It's headed our way.”
 
Sarah walked over to him and asked, “Is it going to hit us?”
 
“No, it won't hit us…” James Answered. “…But it won't have to.” This worried everyone. “Even if it misses us by 5,000 miles… it's heat could shrivel us to a crisp and leave nothing flat.”
 
“Man that's rough…” said Moses, “It's like a galleon getting to close to an undersea Volcano.”
 
Sarah turned towards me and asked, “Captain, can't we change our flight path and get away?”
 
I shook my head. “We can't, not with your parents outside…” I snapped my fingers, “…or their lives would go LIKE THAT!!”
 
“Scare' Bleu! 'Ow long do we have?” asked Henri.
 
James checked all his counters. “We can about, four minutes.” He answered, and then he took the microphone. “Samuel… Elizabeth… There's a Comet coming our way!”
 
The two spacewalkers separated form their hug, “How far…?” asked Samuel.
 
“We can about three minutes.” I answered for James.
 
“Well that should time enough to fix the Scanner!”
 
“Leave that for later.”
 
“No, Now… That's why I came out here in the first place, and our lives depend on it.”
 
“Oh, Father…” Sarah said under her breath.
 
Outside… Elizabeth held onto Samuel's rotted line and gently helped him up to the top of STINGRAY, and there was scanner.
 
It was a cross between a Satellite dish with a lot of panels around it. Samuel took out his tools and got to work.
 
Meanwhile on Mars
 
Titan's plan was already halfway completed. “Now it is time to begin phase two of my master plan.”
 
“Everything is all set up, Mighty Titan.” Said X-2-0. “Our vehicle has already been launched and ready to give the signal on your word.”
 
Titan chuckled to himself. “Excellent, Excellent… Phase two is just beginning… Hmm, mm, mm, mm, mm!”
 
 
Meanwhile… at STINGRAY
 
It was getting rather hot inside the ship, which meant the comet was getting closer.
 
“Temperature's around the One-Forties.” Said Moses.
 
“Increase refrigeration, two steps!” I said.
 
“Yes, Sir!” said Sarah. She pressed a switch at her controls which activated an air conditioning system. The temperature dropped back to normal.
 
“Whew… that is much better.” Said Henri, “To think without that in revolution we would melt away.”
 
“Wish I could say the same for my parents.” Said Sarah.
 
I picked up the Microphone. “Samuel, it's getting to close for comfort. You done yet?”
 
“Yes… I'm coming down now.” answered Samuel.
 
Samuel finally managed to get the scanner working. His very first ultimate achievement of his life in the future, but there was no time for joy.
 
He gently packed away his tools, and gently slide slowly down the side, and into his wife's arms.
 
A bright glare of light shined down on them. They turned round and saw a bright light… THE COMET WAS COMING… and they were already feeling a little toasty.
 
Elizabeth detached her line and Samuel press the OPEN switch near the Hatch… but the hatch didn't open. He tried again and again, but the hatch still didn't open.
 
Sweating inside his helmet, and getting a little too hot to breath. “It's… Jammed!!” he cried.
 
“The heat…” cried Moses “It's expanded the metal!”
 
“Oh, no!” cried Sarah, “Not another crisis.”
 
“Captain… can you get in the airlock… and try to open the hatch from the inside?” asked Samuel, “It won't work out here!”
 
“I'm on my way!” I said to him.
 
The comet was no getting even closer, and Samuel and Elizabeth were sweltering in their suits, and now pounding on the hatch hoping to jar it loose… but to no avail.
 
While inside, Sarah finished helping me into my suit and helmet, and I climbed into the airlock. I tried the buttons, and pounded on the hatch, but it didn't move an inch.
 
“I can't… budge it from here either.”
 
Either Samuel and Elizabeth were going nuts from the heat, or Samuel was about to actually suggest something really drastic.
 
“Captain… If you can't open the hatch in a few seconds…” he huffed, “Get back in the ship… Start the Rockets… AND GET OUT OF HERE!!”
 
Everyone's jaws dropped, I cast a look at Sarah who was in tears again. “You don't… really expect me to do that!?” I asked.
 
“You don't have any choice!!” He replied.
 
“Cap… tain…” cried Elizabeth, her voice was very faint “Please… Start the ship!”
 
But I just kept on pounding away at the hatch. “No… I'm not… letting you two go!!” I groaned.
 
Samuel was practically using up his strength to speak very clearly. “CAPTAIN… DO YOU HEAR ME?!” he shouted, “You've got… to… forget about us!”
 
Sarah turned the Air conditioning up again, “Man, if it gets any hotter… the engines will burn out!” said Moses.
 
Suddenly, Henri had an idea. He picked up the Microphone, “Captain, what about the fire extinguishers? Maybe they can cool off the hatch?”
 
 
“Good thinking…” I said, “James and Moses, go get the big one from the engine room… I'm coming in!”
 
“We're on our way.” Said James. Then he and Moses headed out.
 
“Henri…” cried Sarah, “Do you think they're still alright?”
 
 
“Sure, Sarah… they just have to be!”
 
But actually… outside, Samuel took one last wham at the hatch before he gently passed out from the heat, and Elizabeth collapsed on top of him.