Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ Quite the Prediciment ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWENTY
 
 
We all held onto each other as we glided slowly in our Martian orbit. Henri noticed Moses was looking many different directions out into Space. “What are you are looking for?” he asked.
 
“Earth.”
 
Sarah smiled, “Pity we didn't have these thing back in the Revolution.” She said.
 
“Yeah… they really would make exploring the ocean floor fun.” Added James.
 
“Alright everyone, that's enough now.” said Elizabeth, “We have to concentrate.”
 
Samuel checked his fuel gage on his wrist computer, he was at fifty percent. “How well is the fuel going to hold, Captain?” he asked me.
 
I checked my computer, “The Fuel should stay steady.” I said, “Alright, this is the place. Everyone, start looking out for the REMO!”
 
We all searched high, and low, left to right. Then suddenly Elizabeth saw it. “There it is, 45 degrees left, 45 degrees down.”
 
“Oh no… it's not as close as we thought!” cried James.”
 
“Oh Mondure… we're going to miss it.” Cried Henri.
 
What are we going to do? Asked Sarah.
 
“Well, Henri has a point.” I said, “We can't catch it; Not like this!”
 
Moses had an idea, “You the Tether and the Rocket-Gun. We'll have one, maybe two shots before it goes to far.”
 
Samuel shook his head. “No Moses, that's far too risky. If we miss it, then we're finished.”
 
“I'll go down there… I leave the gun here, we can run a line out to the REMO. I should have just enough Fuel to make it.”
 
He handed me the gun… “Samuel, are you nuts. You'll be going way too fast, you won't be able to slow down… let me do it.”
 
Samuel nearly lost his temper, but kept himself calm. “Captain, as much as I detest differing with you… Your place is here with he others.”
 
“I'm going down there, and that is final!”
 
There was still no point in me arguing. He was a Major after-all, he couldn't command me, but he did bring up good points.
 
“Aim to overshoot.” I told him, “It'll break your fall and if you can latch onto the REMO, we can just pull ourselves in.”
 
Samuel nodded, and he cast one last smile at his wife and Daughter. “Don't worry… I'll be just fine.” The ladies nodded slowly yet sadly.
 
Samuel positioned himself. “Unhook me!” I released the line from my suit, and Elizabeth did the same from her end.
 
“Good Luck, Samuel.”
 
With that all done, he started up his jet pack and began moving slowly downward away from the group, dragging behind him the tether from the rocket gun.
 
“Alright… I'm on the path to overshoot. Now I'll take off the edge.” Samuel used his retros, and they did slow him down just a little before they gave out.
 
“I've run out of fuel… I'll have to abandon the unit and brake with suit-jets.” He threw off his jet-pack and let it fall away.
 
Sarah and Elizabeth were scared to their bones. “Please... God… please let him make it?” they both pleaded under their breaths.
 
Samuel was getting closer and closer, and finally his jet pack was empty but… “It looks good… I'm going to make it.” He cried out, “But I'm not going have a smooth landing.”
 
“What's your velocity?” I asked.
 
“Thirty-two degrees!”
 
THIRTY TWO… AT THAT SPEED!! The men and I began shaking our heads in absolute terror.
 
'E's not going to make it!” cried Henri. 'E'S NOT GOING MAKE IT!!”
 
Now the ladies were sacred to death too. “I'm going to slow you with the gun.” I cried.
 
“No, Don't! If you slow me I'll fall short!!”
 
“Samuel… YOU'RE GOING TO FAST… YOU''RE GOING TO FALL!!!”
 
“NO CHOICE!!” Samuel Shouted, “I HAVE TO DO THIS FOR ALL OUR SAKES!!”
 
He was nearly there… “HERE I COME…!!!” He smacked right on top of the Module and was able to latch the hook into place. “YES…!!”
 
But because he was going too fast, the impact forced him to start rolling downward.
 
“SAMUEL!!” Yelled Elizabeth. We all watched in horror as Samuel tired to grab on for dear life to the handles, but all in vain.
 
“FATHER!!!” cried Sarah, and at that. Samuel flew clean off the end of the REMO as was being slowly pulled into Mars' gravity.
 
Elizabeth spoke as though she was going to have a stroke. “ARGH… SAMUEL… Samuel… Samuel… Oh God!!”
 
“Father… Father… FATHER!!” screamed Sarah.
 
James stared horrified at Samuel just floating there. “Oh, No… No… No… No… No, No, No, No!” he cried.
 
James never knew his real Father… and Dr. Franklin was like a father to him, then he died. He couldn't lose Samuel too.
 
“Elizabeth…” I cried, “Take the gun… Take it.” Everyone grabbed on tight. “GO… NOW!!”
 
Elizabeth set the gun to retrieve and we all slowly began pulling ourselves towards the REMO.
 
“Samuel, what's your status?” I asked.
 
“Well…” he peeped, “My suit-jets are gone, and I'm still carrying a good deal of velocity.”
 
“As soon as we get hooked up I'll come get you.”
 
Samuel shook his head, “No… it work that way. You can't retrieve me at this distance.
 
“But Father… you're not going that fast!” cried Sarah.
 
“That may be so, dear, but suit-jets are not designed for this sort of travel… I'm afraid it's jut not going to work.”
 
“But it `as to work!” cried Henri.
 
Samuel sighed, “Listen… Believe me, I don't like this anymore than you do.”
 
Moses ran the numbers on his wrist-computer, and he was right. “You hold tight there Samuel.” He called, “We'll get in the REMO, drop it down, and come scoop you up.”
 
The ladies shook their heads, “It's going to take us Thirty minutes to get the REMO ready.” Cried Elizabeth, “Samuel could be in the atmosphere by then!”
 
“Then we'll just have to get it going faster.” I said.
 
“We don't have time!!”
 
“Please, Dear, listen to the Captain and Moses, it's a good plan.” Cried Samuel.
 
The ladies calmed down a bit, which was essential because now we had to get ready to slow ourselves down or we'd slip off too.
 
“Okay… get ready for break!” I cried.
 
“Come on now…!” Samuel called to us.
 
“On my mark… Three…!”
 
“You can do it…”
 
“Two…”
 
“YOU CAN DO IT!!”
 
“One…”
 
“COME ON…!!!”
 
“MARK!!”
 
“COME ON!!!!!”
 
We hit our retros and glided merrily to soft smooth landing, and latched ourselves on. “Everybody good?” I asked.
 
“We're on Skip!” answered Moses.
 
Sarah and Elizabeth however forgot to keep their eyes on the REMO and were so busy watching Samuel…
 
They crashed into the REMO chest first, and they felt as though someone had walloped them from behind, and they passed out.