Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ Abandon Ship ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER NINETEEN
 
 
Sometime the next morning, there it was coming up in the distance, the Planet Mars.
 
“Sacre blue…” said Henri, “Take a look at that!”
 
The rest of them all gazed in awe at the red planet coming before us. If our calculations were correct, we should be in orbit around the planet within two hours.
 
So to pass the time, I had ordered the crew to run simulations of what to do to proceed with the Orbital insertion.
 
We had to fire the rockets at just the right moment on the right angle, otherwise could miss the orbit and fall into he atmosphere, and STINGRAY wasn't made for reentries.
 
“What else would happen if we miss the orbit?” asked Elizabeth.
 
I shot her a look of concern, “If that happens, then we'll miss Mars entirely, and we'd shoot clean through the other side of the Galaxy.”
 
“We'd be Lost in Space again!”
 
When I said those words, everyone was more than willing to go over the simulations again and again to avoid disaster, and in almost no time the angle was approaching.
 
Little did any of us realize, that Titan's aliens, before we shoved them off, they planted some sort of bug on the ship.
 
Meanwhile, on the Surface below
 
X-2-0 gave Titan a remote control. “The bugs are in place, Mighty Titan.” He said, “The control STINGRAY is in your hands now.”
 
Titan chuckled wickedly, “Finally… STINGRAY and her crew will be all mine for the taking. Troy Tempest will soon surrender himself, and Marsha will be my slave again.”
 
X-2-0 checked the computer, “Estimated time of STINGRAY'S orbital-entry… 45 seconds and counting.”
 
Back on STINGRAY
 
We all kept on Staring at the planet Mars. “It's amazing.” Cried James, “I've never seen anything quite like it.”
 
“It's as red as Sarah's `air.” Said Henri, “and it looks like a big Kick-ball!”
 
Everyone had something wonderful to say about Mars, but Samuel and I had only two perfect words to say to the Planet itself…
 
“…Hello Beautiful!” we both said. Samuel even wiped a tear from his eye. “I've never seen anything so beautiful in my life.”
 
We changed into our Spacesuits for orbital insertion, and took our places. “Alright… let's get ready to light this candle… go, no-go for breaking burn and M.O.I!” I said proudly.
 
“Engines, online.” Said Moses.
 
“Systems, Online.” Added Sarah
 
“Naves, Online.” Said James.
 
“We are go for the burn, fueling engines now.” said Henri as he started the flow-charger.
 
Since Sarah's mother wasn't needed in the sickbay, she helped out with the navigation on the bridge. “Optimal angle entry in minus seven degrees.”
 
Only Thirty seconds left until we fired the rockets. Henri and I looked proudly at Samuel, “Major… would you like to have the honor?”
 
Samuel grinned and saluted proudly, then he made his way over to Henri's controls. Henri showed him the switch…
 
15 seconds…
 
“Hang on Grandfather… were on our way” I said under my breath.
 
10 seconds…
 
Samuel was all nervous and excited at the same time, but then again, we all were.
 
5 …4 …3 …2 …1 …00… “Let's go to Mars.” Said Samuel and he pressed the rocket switch.
 
STINGRAY'S boosters started up, and the ship was moving slowly into orbit… but then… the ROCKETS STOPPED!!
 
“What's going on?” I asked, “Why have you stopped thrust?”
 
Henri said he didn't do it, and neither did Samuel. He tried the controls, but the Ship was out of control again.
 
“Something's pulling us.” Cried James. “Were too step, were falling into the atmosphere… Holy cow we're going to crash.”
 
Meanwhile
 
“Ha, ha, ha, ha… This couldn't be any easier than I expected.” Sniggered Titan as he fiddled with the controls.
 
Back on STINGRAY
 
Everyone tried at the controls, but Moses reported that the Engines were down, there was nothing we could do. “I can't get a peep out of the engines… they've got a mind of their own.”
 
Suddenly we all had a good idea of what was happening, “Titan's aliens… they must've bugged the ship.” Suggested Sarah.
 
It was the only possible explanation. “Elizabeth… how much longer until we hit the Atmosphere?” I asked.
 
She checked her computers, “Three… maybe four minutes.” She cried, “Titan's leading us straight into his domain.”
 
This wasn't good at all. We couldn't break free of Titan's control. The, and the ship wasn't responding to us. What could we do?
 
Suddenly, Henri got an idea… a risky one, but an idea. “Where is the REMO?” he asked.
 
We all cast a look at Henri, “The Re-supply Module?” asked Elizabeth, “Why, there's no way we can get to it.”
 
“I SAID WHERE IS IT!!!” he yelled. Even I winced at his snap, but Elizabeth check her computers again.
 
“It's close, but I don't know how close, it will take some time.”
 
“Figure it out, we don't `ave time!” replied Henri.
 
Samuel shook his head, “Henri, it's not going to work.” He said, “There's no way we can get STINGRAY to link up to it.”
 
By this time Henri was shaking nervously, “That is the point.” He said, “STINGRAY'S not going to link up… Only us, we go outside!”
 
Everyone sprinted around at what he just said. “You want us to transfer in our Spacesuits?!” James Asked.
 
“Henri…” Sarah said sounded scared, “… If don't make it… if we miss the REMO, we could…”
 
“There is no other choice.” Said Henri, I nodded my head in agreement. “Elizabeth… how close.”
 
Elizabeth worked like crazy on the computer, and finally the results came in. “One Kilometer… no more, or less!”
 
I tipped down my Captain's cap… “All hands… Prepare to Abandon Ship!” I said softly. “LET'S MOVE!!”
 
We all raced down to the airlock, and hastily got our helmets. We also grabbed spare Oxygen tanks and a Rocket gun.
 
I even took the time to slip Rhapsody's wrapped up Lucky Charm into my pockets. I forgot that I had it, but I didn't have tome to open it now.
 
Once our Helmets and Jet packs were restored, we tethered ourselves together, and squeezed into the airlock.
 
I opened the outer door, took a huge deep breath… and out I went, followed by Samuel, Followed By Elizabeth, James, Sarah, Henri, and Moses.
 
All human hands were safely off the ship, and slowly proceeding into a geostationary orbit above Mars.