Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 25

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Turning to look at the residents of the Hinata, Keitaro had a sudden sense of déjà vu. I haven't seen that kind of look in a while, he thought absently. But, what do I do…?
 
“Don't even think about it,” came Haruka's hard voice, the older Urashima stepping in front of Keitaro, her eyes cold. “Your days of beating on Keitaro are over, girls,” she warned them all.
 
“Why the sudden concern, Haruka?” came Kanako's voice. “You never cared before, but now that you've been with him you're suddenly his guardian?” taunted the younger Urashima girl.
 
“Something like that, Kana-chan,” Haruka replied evenly. Kanako bared her teeth, causing Keitaro to tighten his hug on her. I've got to do something before this all goes up in flames! Keitaro thought desperately. In his arms, he could feel Kanako's sleek, toned muscles undulating as his `sister' unconsciously sought to resume her fight with her cousin and rival. Keitaro drew breath to speak, but was shocked to find himself beaten to the punch.
 
“S…stop this!” came Shinobu's voice, drawing every eye to the quiet domestic in the Hinata. Looking at the girl, Keitaro saw that she was beet red, fists clenched at her sides, leaving the dress shirt to hang open on her slim body. Hey, isn't that my shirt? wondered Keitaro. Even though she was clearly embarrassed to be yelling like that, she was also obviously not going to let that stop her. “You are all doing it again! The same thing that always happens! We agreed, didn't we? To be happy? Why are you always like this, sempais?!” she screamed, looking at the grass at her feet.
 
“Shinobu-chan,” began Motoko slowly. The shorter girl's head snapped around, a pair of uncharacteristically-angry lavender eyes fixing Motoko in place.
 
“No, Motoko-sempai! This is how it always happens!” Shinobu nearly spat. “Something involving Keitaro happens, and you all jump to conclusions and start hitting him! We agreed, Motoko-sempai,” she finished, tears in the corner of her eyes and her body beginning to tremble.
 
“Shinobu,” Kitsune said, surprised and taken aback by this atypical display of confrontational willingness in the usually meek girl.
 
“She's right,” agreed another resident. Shinobu felt a pair of arms drape themselves over her shoulders, pulling her into a warm hug. The daughter of the Maehara house knew the voice, but it was shocking to hear her say what she had just said. “If we keep doing this, we'll never be happy,” Naru said, her voice calm and actually thoughtful. “And we did agree, didn't we?” she asked the group.
 
“Naru, did you hit your head or something?” wondered Motoko, blinking at the brunette most known for being the first to attack with the flimsiest excuse. What did that doctor do to her?! wondered the swordswoman. “Didn't you hear what Kanako said? Haruka and Keitaro have become l…lovers,” she said, blushing herself as she realized what she was saying.
 
“Yes, I heard,” Naru replied, still holding Shinobu comfortably. “But it's like Shinobu said: we always end up jumping to conclusions and hitting Keitaro. Then, we all feel guilty, which makes us be nicer to Keitaro, but that usually ends up in another accident, which starts the cycle all over again,” she thought out loud. “How about, just for variety, we try doing something different?” she asked the group.
 
“Like what?” wondered Kitsune. Naru hummed.
 
“Maybe asking Haruka what happened, and then thinking clearly about it?” suggested Naru.
 
“That's a good idea!” agreed Mutsumi happily. “So, Haruka, are you and Kei-kun really lovers now?” asked the girl, almost eagerly. Haruka blinked.
 
“Yes,” she replied slowly. Keitaro wondered if Haruka had suddenly taken leave of her senses. Telling them like that will really set them off, Haru-chan! he worried, feeling Kanako twitch in his arms. Motoko twitched, but before she could do anything, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Glancing back, she saw Tsuruko watching, a thoughtful look on her face. Silently, she minutely shook her head, instructing her younger sister to hold her place.
 
“Why?” asked Kitsune, her eyes squinted, but her curiosity aroused by what she was seeing in the group.
 
“Because I have loved him longer than any of you,” Haruka said calmly.
 
“But you are related by blood!” Kanako reminded Haruka.
 
“True,” shrugged the taller woman. “I tried to forget how I felt, and I tried to walk away, but I couldn't; all that has done is make me miserable. When I left here with Keitaro, I couldn't take it any more. So, I acted,” explained the woman.
 
“But, that's incest!” breathed Motoko.
 
“What's incest? Is it as good as turtle soup and bananas?” wondered Su, smiling at Tama, who had landed on Mutsumi's head.
 
“What do you mean, `what's incest?'” gaped Motoko. “It's when family members have sex!”
 
“Is that all?” wondered Kaolla casually, losing interest. “What a stupid idea,” she dismissed it.
 
“Su!”
 
“You have to understand,” Amalla picked up the conversation for her younger sister, “In Molmol, there is no such concept as `incest'. And when you get right down to it, incest is a social convention, not a biological one,” she added.
 
“Yeah, your husband is your brother, isn't he?” recalled Naru. Amalla nodded.
 
“Yes,” she confirmed.
 
“But, what about genetic convergence of bad recessive traits?” wondered the brunette. Amalla shrugged.
 
“That is why we sequence the DNA of all marriage applicants. Honestly, the risks are minimal - even in our relatively narrow gene pool,” the elder sister dismissed it. “In the case of Haruka and Keitaro, there is more of a risk from them both being Japanese than from them being cousins by blood.”
 
“That's good to hear,” Mutsumi replied.
 
“This doesn't bother you, does it?” asked Tsuruko of the Turtle Clan priestess. Mutsumi shook her head.
 
“No,” she said. “Should it? Haruka is happier than I have ever seen her, and Keitaro is a lot calmer now, as well,” pointed out Mutsumi. “And it is usually a good thing for the man to have some experience, isn't it?” she asked. Motoko blushed.
 
“But you can't marry him,” Kanako said, her tone tight. Haruka turned to look at the younger girl she had been at loggerheads with for so long. Smiling, she nodded.
 
“I know,” agreed Haruka, “but who said anything about marrying him, Kana-chan?” hinted Haruka. Turning back to the girls of the Hinata, she met the gaze of each of them. “Let's be clear about something right now,” she said firmly, “I am fully aware of the facts of this situation. I have no plans to stand in the way of whatever agreement you all made, and I will not undermine the marriage, either. But I will not be parted from Keitaro.”
 
“That…shouldn't be a problem,” Shinobu murmured, unable to meet Haruka's gaze.
 
“So, did you get the nomination, Shinobu-chan?” asked Haruka, smiling easily at the girl.
 
“No,” Shinobu whispered, “not exactly,” she amended.
 
“Granny Hina!” protested Kanako, “are you going to let Haruka do this?!” demanded the girl.
 
“Kanako,” sighed Hina, “you still don't get it, do you?” she asked.
 
“Get what? Haruka broke the rules!” Kanako insisted. Hina shook her head.
 
“The rules were meant to teach you a lesson about life, love and happiness; both of you,” added Hina.
 
“But, Haruka is blood related!” Kanako tried again.
 
“What about it?” replied Hina bluntly. “All I care about is that my granddaughters are happy,” she explained. “You and Haru are the heirs to the Urashima style, and are supposed to be the next two in line to be the elder of our clan, but ever since you both fell in love with Keitaro, you have been at war with each other. This is no good. You will have to support each other, and share the responsibilities of leading our clan when I'm gone.” Haruka looked over at Kanako, who met her gaze. “Especially since our clan will be growing,” added Hina slyly.
 
“Growing?” wondered Keitaro. Hina cackled.
 
“Oh, look at the time!” she snickered. “I have places to be, so I will just leave you kids to it,” she said, nearly vanishing. “Be sure to break the news to him gently, girls!” came her amused voice from the direction of the Hinata.
 
“Um, what news?” wondered Keitaro.
 
“Well, you told us to choose who you were going to be marrying, didn't you?” asked Naru, suddenly unable to look Keitaro in the eyes. “We…decided,” she hemmed.
 
“Yeah, and it kind of surprised us, as well,” Kitsune added, anticipating the results.
 
“I see,” Keitaro said quietly. “Did you all agree?” he asked them. The entire group nodded.
 
“So, um…” he trailed off, unsure what to say next.
 
“We're all getting you! Isn't that great?” exclaimed Mutsumi. Keitaro's jaw dropped open.
 
“Did you say…?” wondered Haruka.
 
“Yes,” replied Kitsune.
 
Haruka nodded to herself. “Thought so,” she said, turning to look at Keitaro. Seeing him staring at the group, eyes glassy and jaw hanging open, she sighed. “Give me a hand, Kana-chan,” she said, taking his arm, “I think he will need a moment to recover,” she smiled.
 
-
 
“Maehara?”
 
“Shinobu-chan!” hissed Akiko, nudging her friend. Blinking, the girl emerged from her thoughts, finding the class looking at her.
 
“Y..yes?” she stammered.
 
“Well,” the teacher said drolly, “if it isn't too much of an imposition, could you solve the problem on the board?”
 
Shinobu blushed a little. Ever since that morning, she had been in a daze, her mind consumed by her personal life. I don't even remember coming to school! she thought, rising from her desk. Covertly, she glanced at her uniform, finding that she was properly dressed and attired. That's a relief, anyway, she mused, walking slowly to the board. As with everything else after watching Kanako and Haruka settle the stunned-senseless Keitaro in his futon, she couldn't recall dressing herself for school. Did I even remember to bring my book bag? fretted the girl.
 
She walked slowly to giver herself time to look over the calculus problem. For a split second, she wondered what she was supposed to do to solve it, but it was only for a fraction of a instant. Naru-sempai showed me how to do these! she realized. It was in that practice book for the Todai entrance exam! Shinobu smiled a little, her pace quickening.
 
At the board, she plucked the chalk from the outstretched hand, her smile spreading as she swiftly ran the formulas on the board. In mere moments, she wrote out the answer, circling it. “Finished,” she announced, turning back toward her desk without waiting for the teacher to tell her if she was right or not. She already knew that she had solved it correctly, thanks to years of studying with Keitaro and her sempais. It's like I have been studying to get into Todai for years, the girl realized, sitting back down at her desk, one hand absently tucking her skirt as she sat.
 
“Well, I guess you are paying attention after all,” the teacher said dryly. “Ok, class,” he said, glancing at the clock, “that is about all we have for today. You need to prepare yourselves for finals week after next. Starting next week, we are reviewing and studying for finals. I suggest you all use this time wisely, as your options for university entrance will depend largely on your scores.” The bell rang, the incho preparing to lead the class in their routine. “That is all,” the man said, tucking his papers into his briefcase and exiting the room as the class bowed.
 
Shinobu sighed. “Man, you are really out of it,” Akiko said, smiling at her friend. “Something happen to you?” wondered the girl. Shinobu shook her head.
 
“Not exactly,” she denied. “Are you ready for finals, Akiko?” asked Shinobu, pulling up her book bag and looking inside. It was lunch time already, and she was wondering if she had made herself a bento without thinking. Looking inside, she saw her bento was in place. Smiling, she took it out and glanced at Akiko. “Roof or bench?” she wondered.
 
“It's nice, so bench,” Akiko decided, the two moving out with their fellow seniors and making their way down to the first floor, then out to the stone bench under the cherry trees along the edge of the school's athletic field. Sitting down, Shinobu opened her bento, blinking at what was inside it. “What happened to your lunch, Shinobu?” wondered Akiko, opening her own pre-packaged lunch.
 
“This isn't mine,” Shinobu answered absently, “Naru-sempai made it,” she realized. Akiko frowned.
 
“You can tell just from looking?”
 
“Naru-sempai's cooking style is…unique,” Shinobu smiled, taking a bite of some strange looking hybrid rice dish. “Mm,” she hummed. “But it tastes fine!” she smiled. Beside her, Akiko had just broken the inner seal on her meal. Shinobu frowned. “Don't eat that,” she said, putting a restraining hand on Akiko's chopstick-holding hand. “It's spoiled,” she explained. Akiko frowned.
 
“Are you sure, Shinobu?” she asked. Shinobu nodded.
 
“Can't you smell it?” wondered the cook. Akiko sniffed at the meal.
 
“It doesn't really smell that much,” she said slowly. Shinobu shook her head.
 
“It's bad,” she said firmly, covering the store-bought lunch and setting it aside. “We'll share mine,” she pronounced firmly. Akiko shrugged.
 
“If you're sure,” she agreed casually.
 
“I am,” Shinobu nodded, offering the girl her bento. Taking a bite of the weird food, Akiko popped it into her mouth, humming in surprise.
 
“It is good,” she confirmed. Shinobu smiled at her around a mouthful of food.
 
“So, are you ready for finals?” the compact girl ruthlessly returned to the previous question.
 
“As ready as I will ever be,” Akiko admitted. “If I can manage to graduate, I'll consider it a win,” she said, sighing before taking another bite. “Why does the rice have banana chips in it?” wondered the girl.
 
“Su loves bananas,” shrugged Shinobu.
 
“They're delicious!” came an energetic voice from behind them. Shinobu knew that voice anywhere.
 
“Su, are you hungry?” she asked. Of course she is, thought Shinobu, she's always hungry! “There should be a hand of bananas in the home ec kitchen, on my cupboard space. I was going to make some banana pudding, but I won't get to it before they begin to go bad. You are welcome to eat them if you want,” she said. Kaolla grinned.
 
“Thanks, Shinobu!” she giggled, leaning over top of Shinobu's head to kiss the surprised girl on the lips. “Bananas, prepare yourselves for being eaten!” yelled the blonde, leaping over the bench and high into the air, accompanied by the whoosh! of her rocket pack. Shinobu wondered what piece of school equipment had been stolen to make the pack.
 
“Um,” Akiko began slowly, waving her hand in front of her face to dissipate the smoke from the genius's rocket pack, “didn't the school ban Su from going into the home ec kitchen after that incident with the genetically-modified eggplant exploding?” she wondered. Shinobu frowned.
 
“I thought they only banned her from using anything in there,” the girl mused. “Oh, well,” shrugged Shinobu. Keeping Kaolla out of anything was nearly impossible. “Akiko, come to the Hinata this weekend. I will ask Keitaro and Naru-sempai to help us both study for finals. You can get into a good university if you believe in yourself and work for it,” lectured Shinobu.
 
“I don't know, Shinobu,” Akiko said. “I'm not smart like you, and I don't have a house full of Todai students to help me study,” she pointed out. Shinobu frowned at her.
 
“No,” agreed Shinobu, “but you have me,” she counter-argued. “We got into this school, didn't we?” challenged Shinobu. Akiko hummed.
 
“Actually, you got both of is into this school,” shared Akiko Taichi. “Besides, my dad can't afford university, and I don't really have any idea what I would study there anyway,” she went on. Shinobu fixed her friend with a steady look.
 
“Whatever you want, of course,” she answered the objections out of order. “As for the rest, they have scholarships and stuff,” asserted Shinobu. Maybe I should talk with Granny Hina about maybe helping Akiko out, she made a mental note.
 
“I guess,” Akiko shrugged in response. “But I doubt that I could qualify for a scholarship. I'm not as athletic as you - or as smart,” the girl said. Shinobu wasn't sure what to say, as it was the truth. Her thoughts were interrupted by a fellow senior approaching the pair.
 
“Excuse me, Maehara,” the young man said, nervously tugging at the collar of his uniform, “I want to ask you something,” he explained, “would that…be ok with you?”
 
Shinobu blinked, studying the young man. “You're Haramaki, from class five, right?” Akiko helped out her pre-occupied friend. “Captain of the baseball team, right?”
 
“Yes!” he agreed, relieved to have someone else identify him and his station to the girl he had been mooning over since the captain of the powerful kendo club had struck out her.
 
“What did you want with me?” wondered Shinobu, a sinking feeling in her heart. I just know he's going to ask me to be his girlfriend, she silently sighed.
 
“I wanted to ask you to…study with me,” he said, blushing. Shinobu blinked.
 
“Why me?” wondered Shinobu.
 
“Probably because you have the highest grade average in our year,” supplied Akiko, grinning at Shinobu. “Probably in the whole school,” she added evilly.
 
“That's not true,” Shinobu replied modestly. She had never really paid much attention to her ranking.
 
“Yes, actually it is,” Akiko insisted, stealing Shinobu's bento. “I'll just go somewhere and finish this off,” she said, standing. Shinobu blinked as Akiko nearly ran off, a half-smothered giggle trailing behind her.
 
That girl…! Shinobu thought, irritated. She threw me to the wolves! Looking at the young man before her, she found herself sizing him up. He's not too bad, I guess, she thought, but he's no Keitaro, either. “You wanted to study with me?” she asked him, suspicious. Every time before, it's been them wanting me to be their girlfriend, mused the girl silently.
 
“Yes,” nodded the young man. “I could use your help getting ready for finals,” he said, scratching the back of his head. “Maybe we could get together in the evenings? My family lives in an apartment, and my brothers are noisy, so maybe we could meet somewhere quiet? Or maybe even your place?” he suggested hopefully. Take it easy, get her comfortable around you, then ask, he reminded himself of his game plan.
 
“That wouldn't be a good idea,” Shinobu said, a small smile on her lips as she imagined what would happen if a boy showed up at the Hinata. “Besides,” she added, “I have a lot of things going on right now, so I am really busy. Sorry,” she added, her tone perfunctory. The young man blinked.
 
“Um…” he wondered if he shouldn't have had a `Plan B' for this possibility. But, she's so nice, and it was a sure bet that she would agree to study with me! he lamented.
 
“If you want help studying, you should speak with Tatamiku-san. He is in charge of the tutoring group, and I am sure he can help you with studying,” Shinobu offered a consolation prize.
 
“I…I guess,” the young man breathed. “But, maybe I could come over to your place with Taichi-chan? It would be a big help!” he insisted. Shinobu shook her head.
 
“Sorry, but no men are allowed where I live,” she cut the attempted tag-along off at the knees. “How do you know about Akiko coming over?” wondered the girl.
 
“I overheard you talking with her,” the young man explained unenthusiastically. “Besides, everyone knows that you have been carrying her the whole time you have been here,” he added. Shinobu's eyes grew cold.
 
“Oh, do they?” she asked frostily. Standing, she turned on her heel. “Goodbye, boy,” she said, walking off without a backward look, let alone a bow. Behind her, the young man realized his mistake.
 
“Wait! I meant that in a good way!” he called after her. Shinobu didn't give any sign she heard him. Shoulders slumping, he sighed. “Armor-Hearted Maehara strikes again,” he muttered, moving back toward the school. It was a whisper among the boys at the school that the quiet, unassuming girl was unattainable, her standards far too high for anyone to meet. After her casual dismissal of the captain of the kendo club, new rumors had started to spread. Maybe she really is a lesbian. Or works in a men's club at night, mused the shot-down captain of the school baseball team.
 
Shinobu found Akiko where she usually found the girl: sitting under a tree along the back property fence, on a small patch of grass. Her empty bento sat beside the girl. “Akiko,” Shinobu began.
 
“You didn't do it again, did you?” accused Akiko. Shinobu frowned.
 
“Do what?” she wondered.
 
“You turned him down, didn't you?” Akiko proclaimed. Shinobu scowled.
 
“He isn't man enough for me,” she said quietly. “Anyway,” she killed that topic, “you need to come by the Hinata this weekend, and each night next week unless something comes up. You have my cell phone number, and I have yours. We will be getting good grades on our finals, understood?” the girl warned her friend crisply.
 
“Ok,” agreed Akiko unenthusiastically. “Should I come by tonight?” she wondered. Shinobu unexpectedly smiled, shaking her head.
 
“No,” she replied immediately, “there is something…personal I have to take care of tonight,” she said, her smile refusing to leave her face. “I might have to cancel some of the study sessions next week as well, but I will call you if I have to. Plan to be there unless I call you, got it?” Akiko nodded.
 
“You seem happy about something,” noted the girl. “Did your Keitaro come back?” she guessed. The wide, excited smile on Shinobu's face told her all she needed to know. “No wonder you have been a zombie all day!” Akiko laughed.