Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 48

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kitsune sighed, letting her chin rest on her folded forearms. “This is too much like work,” she said. Haruka laughed softly.
 
“Hardly, Kitsune,” she said. She had taken Kitsune down to the tea house after breakfast, with the stated intention of teaching her how to run a business. Kitsune could tend to the teahouse, making tea, collecting money and the like, but actually running the business was something she had no experience with. Haruka had shown her the accounting book, demonstrated the supply program on the laptop she used to order her teas, lectured her on the formula she used to predict stock supplies, run her through the bill payment schedule, spoken with her at some length about the importance of keeping an eye on the market for teas, coffee and the supplies the shop needed, and reminded her that she needed to keep the business license and health inspection current.
 
It was a lot of information, really, but Haruka was certain that Kitsune could handle it. She had been watching the slacker since she moved in, and even though the girl made an impressive show of being lazy, indolent and drunk, Haruka had spotted every little slip in her act. And when she had spoke with Granny Hina about her idea, Granny had just grinned, which told her that the wily old head of the family had been aware of Kitsune's carefully-hidden skills longer than she had.
 
“So, why are you teaching me all this now, Haruka?” asked Kitsune, raising her chin off her arms as Haruka set a cup of potent tea in front of her.
 
“Because starting tomorrow morning,” Haruka smiled, “you are going to be running this place. I'll hang around a little, in case you come across something I didn't tell you about; and to make sure you do the job right,” grinned Haruka. “Once I am sure you are comfortable, I'm going to leave it all in yours hands.”
 
“Why?” wondered Kitsune, sipping the tea. This stuff is good, she thought, mildly surprised.
 
“Because I am going to be too busy to run this place,” Haruka began, “and it's time for you to stop laying around feeling sorry for yourself,” added the older woman. Kitsune blinked at her.
 
“Feeling sorry for myself?”
 
“You heard me,” Haruka replied firmly. “None of the other residents figured it out, but I did,” she continued. “Probably because I was acting the same way,” admitted Haruka. Kitsune stared at Haruka, her eyes fully open. “Oh, you aren't hearing thing,” chuckled Haruka. “And recently, I realized that you and I had been doing it for very similar reasons, too.”
 
“You?”
 
Haruka nodded. “It's no secret now that I love Keitaro,” Haruka said, leaning against the counter. “But because of my blood relation to him, I convinced myself that I could never be with him. When Seta came along, I made some stupid choices and ended up feeling bitter and depressed. I'd say that you were feeling bitter about how your own childhood turned out, and I'd bet you anything you want that your choice to stand aside for Naru - twice, no less - was depressing you the more you saw of Keitaro.”
 
Kitsune was silent, which told her that she was right on the money. “Fortunately,” Haruka continued after a moment, “the scroll came into the open, and our little Shinobu-chan proved how much of a bully she could be,” smiled Haruka. Kitsune had to smile at that.
 
“I'd never have thought Shinobu-chan could be such a domineering bitch,” she replied, amused. “She always seemed so…meek.”
 
“I don't know,” shrugged Haruka. “Of all of us, she was the only one who knew what she wanted, accepted that she wanted it, and did whatever she had to in order to get what she wanted. She's a scary girl, that's for sure,” Haruka mused. Kitsune laughed softly.
 
“To Shinobu-chan,” she said, raising her tea cup. Haruka clinked her own cup against Kitsune's cup.
 
“To our Shinobu-chan,” Haruka intoned. The two sipped their tea. After a moment of silence, Kitsune spoke up.
 
“Haruka, what are you going to be doing, if you aren't running the shop?”
 
“Well, I have to draw up the plans for the Annex renovation, arrange for contractors to do what we aren't going to ourselves, set up the finances with Kanako to cover the costs, tend to the legal business of the family's….growth,” she said, seeing two regular patrons enter the shop. Kitsune stood and made her way to the two, already knowing what they wanted.
 
When she came back, Haruka resumed the conversation. “Then we have to move into the Annex. Once that is done, it's the Hinata's turn to be renovated and opened as an inn; though,” she frowned slightly, “Kanako and I have been discussing some ideas of late that might prove more…appropriate, considering our goals.”
 
“Oh?” came Kitsune's interested reaction.
 
Haruka nodded. “Rather than an inn, we have been thinking about maybe an exclusive bed-and-breakfast arrangement, or perhaps a reservation-only resort. Shinobu's cooking is better than many five-star restaurants, and the Hinata is a lot more private than many of the hotels. Not to mention that we have a long history with such things and can set up meeting rooms.”
 
“It would also keep us from being overly inconvenienced as well,” nodded Kitsune. I know I don't want a bunch of people under foot all the time, even if the Annex is pretty well removed from the main house, thought the ash-haired girl.
 
“Exactly,” Haruka gave her a knowing look. “I've planned to make our new home as private as possible,” she said softly. Kitsune couldn't help the ecchi grin that spread over her lips. “And I think I am going to renovate this place as well,” she mused, looking around the shop. Kitsune looked around as well.
 
“Like do what?” wondered the younger girl.
 
“Expand the dining room, for one thing. Move the stores upstairs for another. Get newer equipment in the prep area, maybe even expanding the shop a little.” Seeing Kitsune's look, Haruka gave her a grin. “You weren't planning to live here, were you, Kit?” she teased.
 
“Well, no,” Kitsune said. Being this far away from Keitaro when the other girls are living with him? No way, she thought. She could still recall all too clearly how it had felt to have him thrusting into her as she lay on the dining room table. Her shiver had nothing to do with cold or fear. Haruka snickered.
 
“Thought not,” she said smugly. Looking around the shop, she smiled softly. “No, I'm going to be too busy to keep running this place,” she said, almost to herself. “Might as well hand it over to you now, while I have the time,” she said, finishing her tea.
 
“Hey, Haruka?” Kitsune said, leaning closer to the older woman and speaking softly, “Do you think there will be any…problems with you, me and Kanako not being married to him? Or even not being official concubines?”
 
Haruka smiled softly. “I don't think so,” she said. Besides, Natsumi already sort-of hinted that Keitaro and I could be married, since we made our first kid in the temple of a Turtle idol, the woman mused. “About the worst thing will be that - under Japanese law - we'll all be unwed mothers,” she shrugged.
 
“That's right,” Kitsune blinked. Haruka frowned.
 
“You weren't talking about kids, were you?” she asked suspiciously. Kitsune glanced away. Haruka sighed, shaking her head. “Granny already discussed this with Kanako and I. As far as the inheritances go, you will be considered a wife of Keitaro.”
 
“That's good,” Kitsune said, “but honestly, sugar? I had been thinking about fair shares of our man,” grinned Kitsune. Haruka laughed easily.
 
“I wouldn't worry,” she replied. “Keitaro has plenty to go around,” purred the cousin.
 
-
 
“Hey, Narusegawa!” Naru blinked, turning to see a classmate of hers approaching. She waited, checking her phone as she did. When her classmate reached her, the other girl caught her breath. “Is something wrong, Narusegawa? You've been spaced out all day,” noted the girl, the two of them walking toward the gates of Todai.
 
“I have?” she replied. Guess I have been, she thought, I didn't even realize that was my last class today. “Just a little distracted, I guess,” she added. Yeah, distracted…
 
“You've been a little spacey for the last few weeks, too,” noted her friend. “Boy trouble?” grinned the girl. Naru blinked.
 
“N…no,” she managed. “Not really.”
 
“Ah!” giggled her classmate. “so it is boy trouble!”
 
“It's not,” Naru said firmly. More like boy/girl trouble, she mused.
 
“So anyway,” her friend changed tact, “your going with us this weekend, right?” Naru frowned.
 
“What are you talking about?” she asked.
 
“With Akiyama and the others,” her classmate said. Naru's frown was immediate.
 
“Sorry, no,” she replied. “I'm busy,” she said. Her friend studied Naru for a moment.
 
“Well, ok,” she said. “Akiyama is going to be disappointed, though,” she added.
 
“He'll get over it,” Naru muttered. “Tell you what, Sachi,” she added, “you can take my place.”
 
With that, Naru hurried ahead. She wanted to get back to the Hinata as quickly as she could.
 
-
 
“I'm back!” sang out Hina, cackling energetically.
 
“Welcome back, Granny,” answered Shinobu from the kitchen. The old matriarch swooped into the kitchen, wrapping the small girl up in a warm hug as she kissed her cheek fondly. Shinobu smiled, giggling softly as she soaked in the old woman's affection. “Where have you been?” wondered the girl.
 
“Here and there, sweetie,” Hina laughed, giving Shinobu another kiss on the cheek. “How are you all doing?” asked the old woman.
 
“We're doing fine!” Shinobu replied immediately.
 
“And the newly-weds?” Hina asked. Shinobu licked her lips.
 
“They're doing…good,” she managed, fighting to keep the smirk off her lips. “Motoko-sempai is…” she struggled for the right word.
 
“Horny?” suggested Hina with a knowing smile. Shinobu blushed.
 
“I…I suppose that's as good a word as any,” admitted Shinobu. Not that she's the only one wanting Keitaro all day, every day… “Oh!” she recalled something she had been meaning to speak with Granny Hina about, “Granny? Can we talk sometime this evening? Privately?” she said softly.
 
“Of course, Shinobu-chan,” Hina said. “No problems, I hope?”
 
“No! But…” Shinobu trailed off, shaking her head. “I'll tell you later tonight,” she said. Just then, Naru came through the door.
 
“I'm back, Shinobu-chan,” called the brunette.
 
“Welcome home, Naru-chan,” Hina answered, making Naru flinch.
 
“Granny!” she sighed. “Don't startle me like that!” Hina just laughed, hugging Naru.
 
“How are you doing, Naru?” asked Granny, releasing the girl.
 
“I'm good,” Naru answered. “Um,” she leaned down to whisper in Hina's ear, “can I talk with you? It's important,” she said.
 
“Of course, Naru,” Hina said. “Is now good?” asked Hina. Naru nodded. As the two moved toward Naru's room, Naru wondered if Mutsumi was in the Hinata.
 
“Shinobu-chan, have you seen Mutsumi?” asked Naru, pausing to look at the girl as she worked on supper.
 
“She was in the bath earlier,” Shinobu said. “I think she's in your room,” the girl suggested.
 
“Ok, thanks, Shinobu-chan,” smiled Naru. Shinobu smiled in response. Mounting the stairs, the two reached Naru's room moments later. Sliding the door open, they found Mutsumi brushing her knee-length mane of dark brunette hair.
 
“Oh, welcome home, Na-chan,” smiled the curvy Turtle priestess.
 
“Mu-chan,” Naru said, finding herself kissing Mutsumi before she knew what happened.
 
“You're looking good, Mutsumi-chan,” Hina commented, amused.
 
“Granny Hina,” smiled Mutsumi when she released Naru's lips. The old women was hugged as well.
 
“So, what did you need to talk about, Naru?” asked the old woman. Naru slid her door closed.
 
“Granny, I…um…” Naru blushed, unsure of how to begin the conversation. Hina waited, an amused look on her face.
 
“Yes?” she prompted playfully.
 
“Na-chan and I are pregnant,” Mutsumi said casually. Naru face-faulted.
 
“Mu-chan!” she hissed, beet red from her scalp to her breasts.
 
“What?” asked Mutsumi innocently.
 
“Have you called your mother yet?” asked Hina, seemingly unsurprised.
 
“I was going to call her after supper,” Mutsumi said. “We can have the wedding next week,” added the girl. Now it Naru's turn to blink.
 
“Wedding?” she wondered, lost.
 
“Our wedding, of course, Na-chan,” Mutsumi supplied.
 
“But, why…?” began Naru.
 
“Remember, I told you that the laws of our clan had requirements before a wedding could take place?” Mutsumi said. Naru nodded. “Well, the most important requirement is that the bride or brides be pregnant,” Mutsumi said.
 
“What kind of custom is that?” breathed a dazed Naru.
 
“Actually, a pretty good one; common in the cultures of most of the world in days past, too,” Granny Hina supplied. “Think about it: the purpose of a wedding is usually for the continuation of the line, and making sure that the couple can produce children is a reasonable way to make sure the marriage is worth making,” explained Hina. “You did want children, didn't you, Naru?” prompted Hina.
 
“Um, well, yeah,” she said. “I wasn't quite expecting one this soon, though,” she added.
 
“What would you have done? Started your career? Waited to have children until you found the `right' man?” challenged Hina.
 
“Well, I guess…” mumbled Naru. Did I really want to start a career? All I ever considered was Todai.
 
“Better to have kids when you are young,” Mutsumi interjected. “I was beginning to worry about that, actually,” admitted the girl, smiling happily. Naru considered the Otohime family.
 
“How many were you planning to have, Mutsumi?” asked Naru. Mutsumi shrugged, smiling warmly.
 
“As many as have,” the girl replied. “I think twelve would be nice,” she added a moment later. Naru blinked.
 
“Twelve?” she echoed.
 
Mutsumi nodded. “Mom had ten before dad passed away, but she wanted twelve - one for each month,” shared Mutsumi.
 
“That's a lot of kids,” breathed Naru. Her mind was wrestling with the idea of so many kids. “And a lot of work,” she added a moment later.
 
“Really? I suppose it might be, right at the start,” Mutsumi considered. “But with so many kids, you grow up with lots of siblings and once the older ones get a little more grown, they can help with the younger ones. I did that, and it was a lot of fun! Much better than dolls,” added the Okinawan girl.
 
“And it isn't like you won't have a lot of help, Naru,” Hina added. The girl absently nodded, thinking about the family that was forming.
 
“Shinobu-chan will make a great mother,” she breathed. And I bet that Motoko and Tsuruko will prove to be pretty good with kids, as well. “Maybe…” she mumbled. “But, what do we tell Keitaro?” she wondered.