Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Shinobu, Ai Dake ❯ Apartment Confessions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shinobu, Ai Dake

Chapter 2: Apartment Confessions

By: Steve Jester

Notes, disclaimers, and bullshit: Well, I have to explain something I forgot to do in the first chapter. A lot of reviewers have said that Shinobu is too OOC. I did that somewhat on purpose. I did this with this reasoning, she got a little older. She's 16 in this fanfic. I'll admit it's out of character from the series, but I think it's justified that her attitude would change between 13 and 16. This includes the fact that she wanted to dye her hair, her sudden attraction to the same sex, and her confident personality. I don't own Love Hina.

Morning. My time to be free, especially on Saturday mornings. I woke up at around 8am. My dreams consisted of memories of the night before. Then I remembered what I promised I'd do today. So I went down the hall, might as well start with Kitsune. Her door was open a crack so I knocked and walked in. She was at her computer. She must be typing her second novel. I thought I would check back later and started out the door when Kitsune said, "Go ahead Shin-chan. Sit down." I took a seat on her couch. "Writer's block. I hate writer's block. So Shin-chan," she swiveled her chair to face me, "what are you here for?"

I stared at her, not knowing how to answer her question. Kitsune looked amused, "Shinobu, you look like Keitaro when he first asked out Naru. So who's the lucky guy?"

I stared again. But, "It's not a guy," I said, "It's a girl."

Kitsune's face blanked out. She was surprised. "I didn't realize…" she began. Kitsune turned a small smile towards me, "Don't worry Shin-chan. So who's the girl?"

I proceeded to tell her about last night. She nodded her head while she listened. Finally she said, "So, Keitaro told you to talk to us separately?" I nodded my head, "I'll have to thank him. Well, this situation give me inspiration! I'll talk to you later."

"Thanks, Kitsune," I said as I got up and went to Su's room. I needed to tell her next, she goes to my school.

Su's room was empty, not a sign that Su was there. She must be downstairs. So I went to the main room, sure enough Su was there as if she was waiting for me. "Good morning Shinobu! How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I said quickly. Su noticed.

Su sat up and stared at me. "Shin-chan, something's bothering you. Is it about Hikari?"

"Yea," I sighed dreamily. Su caught on quick. Of course she did, she was there.

"So, what are you going to do?" She asked, "How are you going to tell Yumi?"

"I don't know…" I started to say as I heard footsteps from the stairs. It was Naru.

" 'How are you going to tell Yumi' about what?" she asked.

I sighed in annoyance, "About what happened between me and a new girl at school."

"What, did you get in a fight?" Naru said, stepping off the steps, concern in her voice.

"No, it's that…"

"Shinobu likes this girl," Su said, interrupting me. I immediately blushed.

Naru stared at me for a few minutes. She made her way to the couch, sitting next to Su. "Well, how are you going to handle living here if your… you know?"

I sighed, Naru was taking this better than I expected, "Have you noticed that when we're in the bath I stay in my own little corner?" Naru nodded, "Well I'll probably continue to do that, my own laundry, and I'll have to be very careful when I enter other people's rooms."

Naru nodded, "Just don't pull a 'Keitaro' on us," she said before hugging me. "So," she said when she broke away, "how many of the residents know?"

"Everyone except Motoko," I answered.

Naru breathed a sigh of relief, which got my attention. "Good thing you haven't told Motoko yet. She's the …"

" 'She's the…' what?" said a voice from the stairs. It was Motoko, sword drawn and pointed at Naru.

Naru stumbled but kept her composure, "… best Kendo warrior in all of Hinata." Naru ended that with a nervous giggle.

Motoko came down the stairs and pointed her sword at me! "No, I happened to over hear some of the conversation you and Keitaro had last night!" I gasped, it was footfalls I heard. "You are a lesbian! I cannot accept that! You have been in our bath and who knows other than you and Kami-sama what you think about in there! You are a disgrace!" She pushed her blade closer, "Leave or die!!!"

Su put herself in front of me, "No one will hurt Shinobu!"

"Motoko, put the kitana down!" a voice from the doorway said.

"Haruka, Shinobu's a…" Motoko pleaded.

"PUT IT DOWN NOW!" Haruka said.

Motoko hesitated but followed the order.

At that moment Kitsune and Keitaro came down the steps. "I take it Motoko found out about Shinobu?" Kitsune said.

"The Understatement of the World award goes to Konno Mitsune!" said Naru. I was trying to adjust to the situation.

"Shinobu, Keitaro," Haruka said, "Come with me. The rest of you stay here. And you," Haruka sent a death glare to Motoko, "calm down." Keitaro and I followed in silence until we reached the tea house. Once inside Haruka seated us. Taking a seat herself, she lit a cigarette. "First I want to praise you Shinobu for having a lot of courage back there. Many would bend there will to Motoko's blade."

"Thanks I guess," I said.

"Now, ever since I've been the 'House-mother' of Hinata Apartments I've been the person to settle arguments and discomfort. When Motoko came here, she told me that she despised homosexuals. Now that we know you're a lesbian, you cause discomfort to Motoko. See the problem?" Haruka said taking several puffs of her cigarette.

"Yea, but why kill me?!" I said, unable to understand.

"What Haruka is saying is that…" Keitaro started to say, stroking the stubble growing at his chin, "Remember when I first came here, her attitude towards me? Well, you are another person who is attracted to girls. She takes offence to that."

"Well, that makes sense in a way," I said. "So, what will I do? I don't want to leave, but I don't want to die either."

"Well, this is where I'll intervene," Haruka said. "We're going to go back to the house. Don't worry Shinobu, we'll be behind you," Haruka said rising from the table. We followed her back to the house, Haruka stopped before the doorway. "Stay here," she said as she entered the house. When she came back out she had Motoko's katana. "Alright, come in."

We went in, Motoko sitting on the steps, unarmed. She didn't even look at me as I entered. Kitsune, Naru, and Su were sitting on the couch. I sat down in a beanbag chair and Keitaro sat on the floor. Haruka took a leaning position on one of the beams of the house. "Well Motoko," Haruka said, "explain yourself."

Motoko rose from where she sat, so did Kitsune and Naru. Motoko took that as a hint and sat down, turning her head away in disgust. "The reason attacked her is because she's a homosexual."

Naru had resumed sitting and was looking at Motoko hard. I thought she was going to kill Motoko with that glare. "Homosexuals," Motoko continued, "are immoral, perverted, and sick!" Each word made me feel a sting in my heart.

"So your saying that it's wrong for Shinobu to follow her heart when it is against your beliefs?!" Naru exclaimed, "Shinobu's only following what's right in her heart! You have no right to deny her that!"

"Motoko, what Shinobu need is support, not conflict," Haruka said, silencing the beast know as Naru, "Now you don't have to accept it, but you'll have to live with it. Shinobu's going to continue to live here. You are not to attack her. If you do, your leaving understand?" Motoko nodded her head, "Shinobu, do you want to say anything?"

I rose from my beanbag chair, the urge to run was there, but I stayed, I need to be strong. "I want to thank everyone for letting me stay. Motoko, I realize I must be the last person you want to hear this from, but I want to thank you for showing me how some people will react. I'm going to need all the support I can get. Now, I want to go to my room, I'll see you all later." I bowed to the residents and went up stairs and into my room. I flopped on my bed and looked at my alarm clock. 12:00pm, damn. The morning is over. The afternoon is just beginning, and outside my window a storm approaches on the horizon.

OK, yes, I hope you people now understand why Shinobu is so OOC. Please review! I don't mind the criticism, but just don't flame. BTW, try and guess what the foreshadowing is in this chapter.

Next Chapter: School