Loveless Fan Fiction / XXXHolic Fan Fiction / Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Never Surrender ❯ Spoken Dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER TWO: SPOKEN DREAMS

Tonight, my head is spinning
I need something to pick me up
I've tried but nothing is working
I won't stop
I won't say I've had enough
Tonight, I start the fire
Tonight I break away,

It was a cold night in Tenkai. The humans had taken refuge indoors, and even the god tribes avoided leaving their families. The snow fell in heavy sheets, quickly covering the country in a white blanket. The trees were all dead from the frigid cold, and the game had either froze or starved to death. People who traveled in this weather were more than likely to get hypothermia.
Lord Yasha wrapped the blanket more tightly around Ashura before returning to the campfire. Lord Ryuu was asleep by the fire, Sohma had wrapped her arms around her knees in an effort to keep warm, and Lady Karura was playing with some twigs on the ground. 'Is this what we've been reduced to?' Yasha thought ruefully. 'They were all once great people, but now I've put a price over their heads.'
Sohma turned to Karura. "Do you think someone is doing this?"
"Hardly. This is just a really sucky winter night. That's all there is to it."
"But it's far too cold for this to be a normal chill! Someone's obviously behind this, and I want to know who!"
Karura yawned and pulled her blanket over herself until only her eyes peeked out. "Why not wait until tomorrow, when it's warmer?" Sohma relented and prepared to go to sleep herself. As she closed her eyes, images of Gandaraja Castle and Lady Kendappa filled her. Oh, how she missed living in Gardaraja with her beloved. It pained her to be away, but she knew that it was for the best. Taishakuten had to be taken down, for Ashura, Lord Yasha, Lord Ryuu. Lady Kaurua, Lady Kendappa, and everyone else who lived in Tenkai. This was her comfort as she fell into a peaceful sleep.b Yasha and Ashura were the only ones up now. Ashura laid her small head into a boulder next to her and looked up at Yasha. Her gold eyes filled with tears. It wasn't because she was cold or hungry. She was positive that Yasha was lonely right now. No matter what anybody said, she knew deep down in her heart that it was all her fault. It was her fault that the Yasha tribe was wiped out, Gigei was killed, and many people suffered because of her.
Soon, she heard the sound of Yasha snoring softly nearby. She slipped out of her blankets and walked a little way to get away from the others for a while. She stared into the distance, wishing. She wished for an escape from this cold, harsh reality. At that moment, Kujaku jumped out of a tree nearby and landed a few feet away from Ashura. Instinctivly, she ran into his arms in a greeting.
"Hey, Ashura. What are you doing out here by yourself? Daddy didn't leave you behind, did he?" He stuck out his lip in a mock pout.
Ashura couldn't help but giggle at Kujaku's silly act. "No, I just had to get away for a little bit."
He and Ashura sat on a few rocks and gazed up at the sky. Some clouds had cleared, allowing bright stars to shine in all of their glory. "You wanna go far away, don't you, Ashura? I bet you wanna go so far that you can touch the stars." Ashura nodded quickly. "You could go, but there's no air. You wouldn't last a second out there in a great place like the sky."
"Kujaku," Ashura whispered. "Is there any place for an unwanted child like me?"
He laughed and crushed her in a bear hug. "Of course there is! Everyone belongs somewhere, Ashura!" He suddenly looked thoughtful. "There has to be," he murmered. "for people like us." He leaned back and stared up at the stars. Ashura was quiet. She was truly grateful that Kujaku had been able to stay with her. Other than Yasha, Sohma, Ryuu, and Karura, he was the one of the few who could withstand anything, and it was all for her.
A rustling noise nearby startled the two. A woman stepped out from behind a dead willow and knelt down in front of Ashura, holding out her arms. Ashura hesitated before hugging this strange female. She grinned at Kujaku. "Long time, no see, Kujaku! How have you been?"
"Not too bad, actually. I've just been talking to my girl here." Ashura blushed. The woman giggled and stood up. Her long, black hair was tied back in a bun, wore a strange dress (a kimono, actually, but it wasn't common in Tenkai to be seen in one), and had soulful black eyes. She regarded Kujaku as an equal, and Ashura as something far more precious.
She knew their roles in this life, what impact they would have on others, and who would be their allies and enemies. She could feel the child's torment and Kujaku's need to be there for her. They had both been abandoned, that she knew. By who and for what, she blocked out. There were far more important things to do than brood over another's life.
"Ashura, was it?" The girl nodded. "How would you like to go somewhere where no one knows your past, so that you can start on a new slate?" Ashura squealed at the idea. It was obvious to Yuuko that she had to act fast. "Would you like to take anyone?"
"Ashura!" Yasha appeared. "What in the world are you doing?" He notices Kujaku. "Hello, Kujaku. I don't know your name, though." He points to the woman.
"I am Yuuko, and I'm here to grant dear Ashura's wish. In doing so, I'll be granting your wish; for this child to be happy and at peace. However, all of you must pay my price. Can you afford it?"
For a moment, Yasha looked dumbfounded. Slowly, he pulled out a sack of coins. "If it's money, I don't have much. I'm not excactly loved at the-"
"I don't want money. Instead, you must give me Lord Ryuu. He will become my slave until further notice. Will you accept?" Ashura looked appallled. Kujaku was deeply troubled. If Ashura was forced to give up one of her friends for her greatest desire, she would never enjoy it. Instead, she would wallow in despair at the loss of her beloved friend. Upon glancing at Yasha, he was forced to turn away quickly. Yasha was giving him his famous "ANGRY DADDY" look. Normally, this would make Kujaku break out in laughter that could not be calmed for at least a few hours. Right now, it made him even more nervous. If Ashura ever ended up unhappy, it was his head that was going. Yasha made that very clear from the beginning.
"Okay." Everyone turned to look at Ashura. Her face was full of determination and void of any fear or hesitation. "But you have to give Ryuu-chan back when we come back. I won't accept anything else."
Yuuko looked extremely pleased. "That's the bright young woman Kujaku-kun has been telling me about. You're a very mature young lady, aren't you? As a reward, I will keep my end. Gather your friends around here at once." With that, Ashura took off running. Yuuko sat down, suddenly very exhausted. 'This is going to be an extremely long day', she thought miserably. However, she was happy that she was able to make the little girl happy. Lately, no one was very happy with her. Watanuki had quit his job after Yuuko had come home drunk again, the Mokona that she had given to Syaoran and party had not contacted her in a long time, and her two helpers had suddenly vanished without a trace.
Soon, the little girl returned with Karura, Sohma, and Ryuu. Yuuko took her stance and looked at Lord Ryuu. "King of the Dragon Tribe, you cannot continue your quest with Ashura and Yasha. Instead, you will work for me. This is the price for granting Ashura's wish, to go to a place where her past doesn't kill off everyone she loves."
Ryuu stared at Ashura for a moment, then laughed. "This wasn't your idea, was it, shrimp?"
"No! And don't call me a shrimp!" Ashura beated at Ryuu's chest, but was easily held off with one hand. This was ended when Yasha shot Ryuu a "LEAVE MY CHILD ALONE!!!" glare. This made the adults chuckle.
A circle surrounded everyone except Yuuko and Ryuu. "Go now! Go into another world, where your wish shall be fullfilled! Go, where happiness is one dream away! I command you, LEAVE THIS WORLD NOW!!!" The light surrounded the group, then they all vanished.
************************************************************************ **************************************************

Song lyrics "Break" belong to Three Days Grace

(A.N. I'm really surprised I'm still able to write this, no matter how lame or stupid. Anyway, leave comments and suggestions if you can!)