Macross Fan Fiction ❯ What might have happened if... ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

What might have happened if…

`Stop getting those two together! You keep raising his hopes, and then she dashes them.'

`Whaaat?'

`You know exactly what I mean, Roy. How many times have they seen each other since she became Miss Macross?'

`I don't know. Not many I guess. But he's a fighter pilot that goes with the territory. You know that.'

`Yeah, I know alright. But we do make time for each other. You come see me, and I visit you.'

`Ok, ok. I get the picture.'

`Do you? When was the last time she took time to see him? I'll tell you…never. He's always asking to see her, and she's too busy. And you wonder why he's depressed.'

`Well, getting her to visit is the only thing I can see getting him on his feet again.'

`And it will, for a time. Then she'll go back to being her normal self, and he'll be standing there hoping for another chance and hoping that one day she'll return that love.'

`Well, he's in love. What do you expect?'

`But she's not in love with him.'

`She's young.

`Exactly, and you said it to him awhile ago…'girls like her can be fickle.''

`So, you got any better ideas?'

`Yes, I do. There were flowers in his room, yes?'

`Yeah, there were. He said that Lisa had dro… you don't mean…..?'

`I most certainly do.'

`But…'

`Roy, she loves him. Yeah, I know, I was surprised as you are.'

`When..'

`Who knows, but when she came back from that hospital she was crying. I don't know what all was said, but she feels guilty for putting him there.'

`He's a pilot, Claudia. We're always in harms way, and accidents happen.'

`Yeah, you pilots… always chasing after danger, and I'm sure he said the same thing. But you forget about how those of us giving out the orders as to where the danger is feel. All of his loud, obnoxious speeches have sunk into her head.'

`He does have quite the mouth, but what do you want me to do? If something isn't done, I'm going to be without one of my best pilots and group leaders. Not to mention I can't play baby sitter to them all day either.'

`And I can't have a commander walking around with a real `sourpuss' expression on her face. So leave it up to me.'

`Ok, you're the boss. I just hope you…'

`Shut up and kiss me, then go fly.'

Later on the bridge….

`Did you have a nice visit with commander Fokker?'

`Yes, I did. Thank you for covering for me for so long.'

`It was no problem. There's nowhere for me to go anyways, and besides I'm happy when I'm up here.'

`You weren't earlier.'

`Didn't you tell me once to mind my own business?'

`Yes, and did you?'

`Claudia, everyone else seems to have someone…'

`Not everybody. The captain doesn't, and neither does…'

`Don't say it. And yes he does. He's got his Miss Macross!'

`Does he Lisa? Has she visited him yet?'

`I don't know..'

`Well, where is she?'

Lisa does some checking…'she's on the set for her movie, and been there all day.'

`Exactly, and do you think she'll be able to get away…'

`But I told him I would probably be too busy to come back and see him.'

`So, then it will be a surprise. Besides he asked if you'd come back.'

`But..'

`Lisa, go see him. I need you up here with a clear head, and I need someone who will know what I go through every time Roy goes out. Now, go…'

`Permission to leave the bridge, Captain.'

`Yes, Lisa go. You've been up here without a break.'

On the way to the hospital…

What am I doing? I'm just going to back to make a fool of myself. What if he was just asking me to come back to be nice? Well, that wouldn't be so bad…. But what if he doesn't… I can't do this. He didn't even want to kiss me. All he can think about is that girl.. A tear runs down her cheek. Why couldn't it be anybody else? Why him? Suddenly finding herself at his hospital room door, she starts to raise her hand to knock…

`Commander Hayes?'

`Yes?'

`A call just came in. They need you up on the bridge immediately, ma'am.'

`Thank you. Could you let them know I'm on my way?'

`Yes, ma'am.'

Inside the room…

She came back to see me. `Wait, Lisa, don't go.' He starts to get up, and falls back into bed holding his head.

After Roy's funeral…

`I'm sorry Rick. I know he was your big brother.'

`This is the second time you've come to apologize to me. This has got to be a record.'

`I am human you know!'

`You came back to see me earlier before he died, didn't you?'

`What gives you that idea? I said I would probably be too busy on the bridge.'

`I heard the nurse tell you that you were needed on the bridge.'

`Oh..'

`I wish you had been able to come in before you left, before the battle I mean.'

`Why? So you could just joke about how unlike the `old commander' I was being?'

`No. So, that I could have some company, someone to talk to. Please come in, and have a seat. I'm sorry the accommodations aren't better.'

`Why lieutenant, you almost sound lonely. Hasn't your Miss Macross come to see you yet?' Lisa looks at Rick as he stares out the window, and wishes she hadn't made that comment.

`She's not my Miss Macross, and no she hasn't. She doesn't have time for anything but her career anymore. I tried calling her, and I either get her producer or her cousin. Neither of which let me talk to her. Besides, I'm just a brother to her.'

`You love her, don't you?'

`Yeah, I do. At least, I think I do, but I'm not sure anymore. Can a person change completely? I mean can a person seem to fall in love, and then just stop.'

Lisa looks away from Rick, and stares out the window herself. `Yes, I think they can, and I think it works the other way too.'

`Huh?' Rick turns to look at Lisa, and sees her staring at her hands in her lap.

`I think you can go from not liking someone, or always arguing with them to falling in love with them too.' Lisa starts to cry, and Rick hands her some tissues. He looks at her face, and watches her lips tremble and her nose quiver. He watches as she wipes her tears away, and watches as she gently pushes her hair back behind her ear. Lisa turns, and Rick looks away quickly with flushed cheeks feeling embarrassed.

`I told you back on that Zentraedi ship that you'd have someone to come back too, and I was right.'

Lisa stands up, and starts to move towards the window letting the tears run freely. `Yes, but I don't think he even knows I exist.'

`How could that be? He'd have to be blind not to notice you.'

`He is blind because he's in love with someone else.' Lisa begins to sob.

Rick gets up, and moves towards Lisa. She turns around to see him getting up, and then stumbling forward. They grab each other to steady themselves, and catch sight of the other's eyes. They become lost in each other's eyes, and Lisa begins sobbing into Rick's shirt while he holds her tightly in his arms. He thinks back to the time he saved her on Mars, the failed first attempt on Breetai's flagship, the kiss, and her watching over him after falling in the water. He remembers how attractive she is, and sees how fragile she really is behind that façade of bravado. She holds her head up, and again their eyes meet. They start moving their lips towards one another, and begin another kiss. Then they hear a knock at the door, it starts to open, and in walk Ben and Max. Lisa moves as if to try and put Rick back into bed…

`Um, we'll come back later', and the door closes behind them.

`I think I should go now', and Lisa starts to move away.

Rick lightly holds her arm. `I'll make sure those two don't say a word.'

`And Minmei?'

`She doesn't need to know.'

`If you're only like a brother to her, then what does it matter?' Lisa pulls away from Rick. `You need to make a decision.'

`I'll deal with Minmei whenever I see her again, but the next time you come back make sure to ask the doctor for a `do not disturb' or `sleeping' sign for the door.'

`What makes you think I'm going to come back?'

`Please, come back? As often as you can?'

Lisa moves towards the door with a smile forming on her lips. `I'll see what I can do, but not putting a sign on the door might be best. I'll also have to see what other privileges I get for being a commander on this boat.'

`It's nice to see you smile, commander.'

`When we're not on duty you call me Lisa.'

`Well then, it's nice to see you smile Lisa.'

As Lisa closes the door and rests on it, Rick puts his arms behind his head and leans back, and both take deep breaths. Both think and wonder if they are doing the right thing, but both also know they can't go through this war alone.