Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Here I Am ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Here I Am

Chapter Eight - Awakening

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - Don't own MKR or its characters. No profit is being made, only borrowing them for my own amusement.

Author's Notes - Okay, I know Nova was made from Hikaru and she was Hikaru's opposite and all - I'm not quite sure how her and Hikaru got back together though. I don't think that really matters to this fic though…I think Nova would jump at the chance to have her own life, and not have to worry about being connected to anyone. Besides, she has little memories of what happened…so it doesn't really matter ;P Sorry if it's confusing/screwed up though - I just liked the idea. Oh and yeah, this is the last chapter for a while :P *taking her break* I won't be gone long though. R&R, and most of all - enjoy!

Warnings/Pairings - Rated PG, though I may up the rating later on. Pairings of Umi/Clef, Fuu/Ferio, and Hikaru/Lantis.

Summary - Umi wishes to return to Cephiro, and on a cold lonely night she gets sent back. However, things aren't what they seem, for a new evil is lurking not far away, and it has plans for Umi.

----------

It was dark when she awoke, but it wasn't too late because she could hear voices. She struggled to grasp who was talking, but her mind was still half asleep and her eyes refused to open. Instead she groaned, wishing the throbbing in her head would stop, or at least the voices would shut up and let her sleep.

"Primera! Shh!" Hushed a male voice, "She's waking up!"

"Hmph!" A small feminine voice answered.

Umi tried to tug the covers over her head at this point, trying to block out the noise. Instead she felt pain shoot up her arms, and she clenched her teeth as she dropped the covers.

"Oww.." She moaned.

"Umi?" That same masculine voice, "Can you hear me? Do you need anything?"

"Hurts.." She mumbled, her eyes still closed.

Someone took her hand. "You were in bad shape…but you're going to be fine now. Clef fixed you up."

Clef..? Her mind was a blur. She couldn't remember who she was, never mind who this Clef person was…

"Umi?" Whoever was talking to her shifted uncomfortably, "Do you…do you remember what happened?"

She had a mind to snap at the person 'Of course not! I don't even remember where I am!', but she felt too weak to do so. She felt another searing pain go through her head, and she must have flinched because whoever was holding her hand let go.

"Umi…" He started as the pain ripped through her and unconsciousness took over her once again.

-----

"Gone again, is she?" Primera asked, looking over Ascot's shoulder at the blue haired girl. Umi was looking a lot better since Clef had healed her but she was obviously still in a lot of pain. Clef had told them it would take a while for her to regain herself, but Ascot had insisted on staying even after the procedures.

He nodded, staring down at his sleeping beauty. Even after all of these years he still felt something for her, even if she didn't return those feelings. It was hard not to love her - she was strong, outgoing, and always spoke her mind. On top of that she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, and she would forever have his heart.

"See?" Primera scoffed, "Clef told you it would take her a while to fully wake up!" She landed on his shoulder, arms crossed as she angrily looked at him, "Go get some sleep! It's getting late!"

"I can't." He told her, and he shook his head. No, he couldn't leave her in this state. He wanted to be there when she opened her eyes, he wanted to see those eyes that were as blue and as deep as the ocean itself.

"And why not?" She demanded.

"You wouldn't understand." He said simply, and she fumed. But before she could open her mouth to say more, he asked, "Why are you still here? I thought you'd be off chasing after Lantis by now. It's not like you wanted to help her in the first place."

"Lantis is busy," She sighed, sitting on his shoulder now. "And I never said I didn't want to help her - I just.."

The door opened then, and Presea stepped in followed by a small bundle of fur. She closed the door behind her, smiling lightly as she turned to them.

"Mokona!" Primera stared at the puff ball in fear. "You stay where you are!"

"Puu!" It hopped up onto Umi's bed and seemed to eye the small fairy before turning and looking down at Umi. "Puu…"

"How's she doing?" Presea asked in a quiet voice.

"She was conscious a few moments ago," Ascot informed her, his eyes never leaving Umi, "But she hasn't opened her eyes."

Presea nodded, looking down at her old friend. Silence fell between them.

"Clef told us what was going on this morning, once everyone was up and at the breakfast table." Presea finally said, "I must say, I was very surprised to arrive at the table to find Fuu sitting there talking with everyone. I thought I was dreaming at first - I never expected to see the Magic Knights again after the pillar was destroyed."

"Me neither." Ascot admitted, "But two of them have returned."

"Clef has told us to keep an eye out for Hikaru - he expects her to show up at any time now." Presea sat on Umi's bed next to Mokona, who was looking at Umi sadly. She smiled slightly, reaching out and ruffling the hair on its head. "Don't worry Mokona, she'll be up and trying to kill you in no time."

"Puu!" His ears shot up and he didn't seem as sad anymore.

Ascot smiled at this as Primera cowered, and Presea laughed.

"Anyway, I was sent here to watch Umi and to make sure you got some rest," She told him, and cut him off as she began to protest, "The healing process was long, and it took a lot out of Clef…that's why he's been resting most of the day. I'm sure you and Primera are pretty tired too. Don't worry, I'll make sure nothing happens to her."

Ascot sighed, knowing there was no way to persuade Presea into letting him stay any longer. She was right too, he was pretty tired after using so much magic. "Fine," He gave in, "But -"

"If she wakes up, I'll tell her you were here, don't worry." Presea smiled, shooing him out of the room. "Get some sleep, she'll probably be awake in the morning, and you don't want to look like something the cat dragged in."

He gave her a small smile before disappearing from the room and into the growing darkness of the room, Primera still on his shoulder.

Presea sighed, sitting in the chair that Ascot had been sitting in before he had left.

"Puu?" Mokona looked up at her as her gaze fell on Umi, studying her.

"Ferio still doesn't know why the Magic Knights are suddenly turning up." She said softly, pulling the covers back up over Umi. "I'm worried Mokona - something big is going to happen, and we're not prepared."

She took Umi's hand into her own, rubbing her thumb gently up and down the girl's cool skin. Get better Magic Knight of Water…we may need you soon. Sooner than we'd all like to think.

-----

The room was dark, and a dim light cast shadows across the walls. Machines were everywhere, some flashing while others glowed red or green. In the middle of the room sat large tanks, big enough to fit a person. They were filled with a dark green see through liquid that bubbled and churned with the flash of the lights overhead.

He stood over one of these tanks, staring down at it with a smile. Her body is finished now, all I need to do is add the soul and alter the memories.

He moved to open the tank, and it hissed in response as gas was let out. Once the door was open, he stopped, staring down at the occupant of the tank.

It was female, slender with all the right curves, and had long flowing pink hair and a pretty face.

He held out a hand, moving it just above her heart, and his smile turned cold as darkness grew beneath his hand, growing so that it touched her skin and consumed her; touched her soul. Her body arched as it intensified, and he grinned wildly. He really enjoyed this part, this was when they always woke up, and each time was a new experience.

Her eyeslids snapped open revealing ruby red eyes, almost the color of blood, and her lips parted slightly. The darkness stopped, and it was almost as if she absorbed what was left of it. She gasped for breath, sitting up in the green goo.

"You may be a bit disoriented for a bit," He told her. Alcione sure was, he thought with amusement. "But you shall regain your strength quickly." He then added, "My name is Innova."

"Where…where am I?" She asked.

"It's not a question of where," He told her, "It's who."

"I..I.."

He ignored her stuttering and continued, "I've given you another chance at life - you are no longer connected to anyone. You can move and think for yourself," he told her, and she looked at him as if she remembered something vaguely, "A new life."

She nodded slowly, returning her gaze to herself. She raised her hands, staring at them in bewilderment.

"I ask for only one thing," He went on to say, "Your service. I'm building…an army of sorts, and I've chosen you to be one of my generals. I've given you life, now I ask for a favor in return. Serve me until what I wish to do is complete, and I shall let you go and you can live your life peacefully"

Her eyes flashed from her hands to him. A life of her own…somewhere, deep inside her, something told her she wanted this. A feeling she didn't quite know, like a memory from the past.

"What do you say?" He asked her, and she looked back to her hands. She unclenched them and did it again. It felt good to be alive, and that's all that she cared about at the moment.

She nodded, and he laughed. Not a laugh of happiness, but a cruel one.

"I knew you wouldn't turn my offer down." He turned, sensing the presence of another. "Alcione! Get her some clothes! And make them some nice ones," He turned back to the female who was still naked and sitting up in the tank, "I want only the best for my new general."

The girl looked up, a smile on her face as Alcione returned with some clothes. She sneered at the girl as she handed them to her.

"I have some things to attend to now," He told both of them, "Alcione, see that she gets settled in." He turned to leave, but stopped as he reached the only door in the room. Turning his head to look over she shoulder, he smiled coldly. "Oh, and Nova? Welcome back."

With that, he was gone.

To Be Continued…