Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei ❯ Backfired Potion and Misora’s Secret ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei
A Negima Alternate Universe fanfic by Robster80
 
Chapter 5: Backfired Potion and Misora's Secret
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Negima or its characters, Ken Akamatsu does! I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Opening notes: This is a Negi/Kaede pairing story. If you do not like this pairing, or not like Kaede, then please stop reading, and no flames! Otherwise, please enjoy!
 
 
 
Negi ran for his very young life down the hallways of Mahora Academy; one advantage of being a wind mage was that he could tap into his magic to run as fast as a certain comic book super hero. However, his pursuers were very relentless in chasing him. He could hear their cries of “Negi-kun/sensei” behind him as he ran. He took a quick glance behind him, and nearly panicked as he noticed one of the girls, Ayaka of all people, was now following him on horseback. Also, Konoka had quit running and had thrown on her roller blades to continue the chase.
 
Why did I have to botch up that stupid potion, and why did it have to be so potent?!
 
 
Earlier that day…
 
 
Smiling, Negi took the chemistry cup and carefully poured a little of the now finished love potion into a test tube. When he filled the tube to near the top with the pink liquid, he set the cup aside and corked the tube. “There. This should be enough of a sample for Dean Konoe. And should I accidentally lose this or it spills, I have plenty more as backup.”
 
“Almost ready to go, Negi-kun?” Kaede asked from the bathroom. She was finishing up with her uniform's tie, which was the last part of dressing save for her jacket.
 
“I just need to get my coat and my staff.”
 
“What about your homework?”
 
Negi slipped the test tube into his inner jacket pocket. “Ready to go. And don't forget, we're going to the church after I hand in my sample to the dean.”
 
“Hai.”
 
Kaede was still a bit apprehensive about the church visit. Misora, she though, was up to something; perhaps she knew Negi's secret and was going to blackmail him. Well, if she was, then Kaede would have to have a few words with her classmate, and all with bladed weapons. While one of the tallest girls in class, Misora was a bit of a fraidy-cat.
 
Suddenly there came a double-knock on the door to the dorm. Putting on her uniform jacket, Kaede walked to the door and opened it. She smiled down at two girls. “Ohayo, Fuka-chan, Fumika-chan.”
 
“Ohayo, Kaede-neesan,” the twins sang, smiling back.
 
“Oh, hello, girls,” Negi said as he approached the door. He had his overcoat on as well as his gloves. “What can we do for you?”
 
“We wanted to walk with you and Kaede-neesan to class today, Negi-kun,” Fuka replied. Beside her, Fumika nodded eagerly.
 
“Well, I'd be delighted.” He then took his staff from behind the door. “Ready, Nagase-san?”
 
Throwing on her coat, Kaede nodded. “Let's be off, de gozaru.”
 
The four left the room and headed down the hallways. They met up with several more girls from Class 2-A, especially Makie, Ako, Konoka, and Asuna. Upon seeing Negi, Asuna turned her head away in a huff; she had yet to forgive him for blowing her clothes off right in front of Takahata. She had never been so humiliated in her life.
 
Konoka and the others, however, were warm in their greetings. “Good morning, Negi-kun,” they said.
 
“Good morning, Sasaki-san, Konoe-san, Izumi-san.”
 
“You don't have to be formal around us, Negi-kun,” Makie said, reaching out to rub his hair playfully as they walked. “You can call us by our given names.”
 
“I'm working on breaking him of that habit,” Kaede added, “but it's not easy. He's too much of an English gentleman.”
 
The excursion out into the slightly cold air of the outside and to Mahora's main building was a quick one, Negi and the girls talking as they went. Soon they reached the classroom and, as time drew nearer to the start of the lessons, the other girls came in and sat down with their books at the ready.
 
Asuna still had an unpleasant look on her face, and kept her eyes off Negi whenever he looked her direction.
 
The last girl to arrive was Misora, who had a spring in her step as she came in, set her bag onto her chair, and then fished out a book. She then moved towards Negi's desk at the front of the room. “Negi-sensei, I've had a little trouble with this one problem. Could you give me a hint at least?”
 
“Of course, Kasuga-san. However, next time try to bring this to my attention sooner than right before class.” Negi took the book and began looking where Misora had pointed out with the eraser of her pencil. However, instead of seeing the problem Misora was aksing about, he saw a small post-it note. He blinked once before he read what his student had written:
 
“Don't forget: Mahora Catholic Church, this late afternoon.”
 
I see now; she just wanted to remind me. “…This one's an easy problem, Masuga-san. Here, try this.” Negi took a pencil and wrote quickly “Okay” before closing the book and sliding it back to Misora.
 
“Arigato, sensei.” And she went back to her seat.
 
The daily lessons went by somewhat quickly and uneventful, but still Asuna did not look towards Negi at all. When she had to look at the blackboard to copy notes from it, she did so quickly, focusing on the chalk marks and nothing else. She forced herself to imagine Negi invisible, and then looked away again.
 
When the final bell rang, the class stood up and bowed towards Negi before gathering up their things and exiting at their own pace. Negi began to gather his books as well, but after doing so, he took out the test tube with his potion sample and set it next to his stapler to it wouldn't roll away. His plan was to go to the teacher's lounge and talk to Shizuka-sensei or Takahata and find out if he could visit Dean Konoe to give him his finished product.
 
I just hope this will be satisfactory. Potions usually isn't my strong point.
 
“Negi-kun?”
 
Negi looked up. “Oh, Ayase-san, Miyazaki-san, Saotome-san. Can I help you?”
 
The three girls nodded, but Yue and Haurna prodded Nodoka forward with their elbows to her back. The shy girl spoke, but timidly. “Uh, I… I'd like you to… g-go over this p-passage. I'm… not sure I understand it.”
 
“Of course.” Negi held out his hand for Nodoka's book, which she opened and handed to him. He then noticed that she seemed different. “…You did something to your hair, Miyazaki-san?”
 
Haruna and Yue smiled.
 
“He noticed!”
 
“Told you he would.”

The two reached out to pull aside some of Nodoka's hair that was at the front of her head, and pulled them back to reveal her eyes and forehead. “After that spill you saved her from, we convinced her to get her hair cut so she can see better,” Yue explained. “Plus it doesn't hide her upper face so much.”
 
Negi could see that; and Nodoka was cute, especially as she blushed before him. He smiled warmly. “It looks nice. I like it.”
 
That made Haruna and Yue smile, but not Nodoka. Her face turned a deeper red, and she couldn't speak as she felt her throat tighten up and close. Quickly snatching back her book and closing it, she bowed and then took off for the door. “S-sorry,” she cried, to her two friends and Negi.
 
“Nodoka, wait,” Yue called after her, giving chase.
 
“Yue!” Sighing, Haruna bowed and muttered an apology to Negi before she took off after her friends.
 
Puzzled a bit, Negi decided to take his sample and go before he forgot himself. However, after standing up, he was approached by another of his students. “Lingshen Chao, seat 19. What can I do for you?”
 
Smiling, Chao holds out a croquette to Negi. “This is for you, Negi-kun,” she said, “it's a new product Satsuki-san and I made for our food stand: spicy chicken croquette. I kept it warm for you during class.”
 
“Well… thank you.” Negi took the food, but he looked at it for a moment. “Although… I'm not really big on spicy foods.” However, seeing the expectant smile on his student's face, Negi decided to swallow his pride and took a bite.
 
The croquette was crispy and warm, and the meat tender and juicy. It was easily chewable and had a distinct flavor. However, after chewing it for a few seconds, the spicy flavor kicked in like a bomb inside Negi's mouth. His tongue, taste buds, and all of the inside of his mouth was ablaze like a forest fire raging out of control, and it grew worse when he reflexively swallowed the remains of the croquette.
 
“Ahhhhh!” Negi's hands went to his neck, which, like his face, turned red as his eyes widened. “H-hooooot!”
 
Chao gasped. Oh no! It's too much for him! I'll have to water down the spices next time. She immediately rummaged through her jacket and bag for a bottle of water or something to help Negi wash down the spices, but she could not find one. Then, her eyes spied the test tube of pink liquid on his desk, and, not caring what exactly it was, snatched it and uncorked it. “Here, Negi-kun; drink this!”
 
Before he realized what was happening, Negi felt the mouth of the tube at his lips and a rush of cool liquid pouring into him. He gulped it all down, as it indeed helped cool his mouth and throat. Once he swallowed the last drop, he took hold of the tube and lowered it from his mouth, gasping for cool, refreshing air. After a small sigh of relief, he looked at Chao. “A-arigato, Lingshen-san.”
 
She bowed several times in apology. “I'm so sorry, Negi-kun! I'll change the recipe so it's not so hot next time.” She took the dropped croquette from the desk, tossed it into the nearby trash bin, bowed once more, and walked off.
 
After watching her leave, Negi turned his attention to what was in his hands. His relief quickly turned to utter horror when he saw the now empty test tube, which had faint traces of the potion inside it.
 
No! Oh no! I drank it… I drank the potion! The next girl I see, I'll-!
 
Negi froze, a thought striking him. “He had looked right at Chao in the eye shortly after drinking the potion. And he didn't feel any sort of attraction to her at all, even after she had gone. He felt… normal. Looking back at the empty tube, he sighed again, this time a bit heavily.
 
“I guess it was a flop,” Negi muttered to himself, taking the discarded cork and put it back into the tube before replacing it back into his inner jacket pocket. He then left the room and started for the teacher's lounge.
 
Kaede had left with the Fuka twins, off for a club meeting. Negi wouldn't see her until possibly dinner time back at their dorm.
 
“Negi-kun!”
 
Turning, Negi saw Konoka waking towards him, followed by a reluctant Asuna. “Yes, Konoe-san?”
 
“I got word from grandpa that he'll be dropping by your place this evening for a quick chat.”
 
“Oh? What time?”
 
“Around or near se… seven…”
 
“Konoka?” Asuna asked, noticing, like Negi, Konoka suddenly had a dreamy-eyed look as the girl stared at Negi. Konoka's face turned pink, and she took a step towards Negi.
 
“Negi-kun,” she spoke softly, lovingly. “Looking at you now… I suddenly see how… dreamy you are up close. So… kawaii…”
 
Blinking, Negi took a step back. What exactly was going on, he wondered? However, Konoka suddenly lunged forward, grabbed Negi with her arms encircling him, and pulled him into a tight hug. Her cheek nuzzled on his head as she let out a squeal dripping with sweetness and love.
 
“K-Konoka,” Asuna cried in shock. “What the hell are you doing?!”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Chao saw Kaede approach her as she walked down the hallways. “Hey, Kaede. Didn't you have a Walking Club meeting?”
 
“Last minute cancelation,” Kaede explained. “The President got stuck with a tutor because she's failing her one class. I'm on my way to see Negi-kun to let him know I'll meet him at the church to meet with Misora.”
 
“You three got something going on?”
 
“Not really; Misora said she wanted to introduce Negi-kun to some people there she knows. So where are you headed?”
 
Chao sighed. “Back to the drawing board, sadly. I let Negi-kun try out a new product, but it was too spicy. I nearly gave him extreme heartburn.”

Kaede looked concerned. “Is he okay?”

“Yeah, I gave him a drink before I left and he calmed down. Funny thing, though; I had to give him some sort of pink liquid he kept in a test tube on his desk.”
 
“…You what?!” Kaede paled; she knew exactly what was in that tube. “One side!”
 
Chao's back hit the wall as Kaede pushed her aside and took off running back to room 2-A. “…Did I do something wrong?”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
She didn't know why, but Misora suddenly felt something wasn't right, and it was something magical. She stopped and turned from where she was in the hallways, trying to get a better sense of what was making her feel uneasy. Then, her hand went into her pocket and pulled out a small pill, or a jawbreaker, which she popped into her mouth.
 
Okay, that should ensure I don't fall under any enemy spells. Now to find out what's going-.
 
“SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!”
 
Misora's head jerked back down the way she originally headed, eyes wide. She recognized Negi's voice; he sounded in danger. “Is… is she making her move already?”
 
The sounds of rushing footsteps and more filled her ears, and suddenly she saw Negi turn the corner towards her and run right past her with great speed. He, she concluded, was tapping into his wind magic to make him faster than normal. Before she could wonder why he was doing so, she saw a flock of girls coming her way, each calling after Negi.
 
Konoka on roller blades? Ako? Makie? The cheerleaders? Class Rep on horseback?! What is going on-?! …Wait! This sensation… …A “love me” potion!
 
“Misora!”

“Kaede, you too?” Misora asked, stopping Kaede by grabbing her. “No, you haven't been affected yet. Good.” She fished out another anti-spell pill. “Here, swallow this!”
 
“What-?!”

It's an anti-spell pill; it'll make sure you don't get affected by the love me potion emitting from Negi-kun's being. Hurry, we have to help him before those girls catch him and possibly tear him apart!
 
Kaede popped the pill into her mouth, swallowed, and then she and Misora took to running. “…So, you know about magic?” Kaede asked.
 
“Yeah; that's what I was gonna tell you and Negi-kun at the church later, but I might as well give you the quick version now. I'm a magi in-training, and I work for the Dean on occasion with my master and my partner at the church. My turn; how'd Negi drink a love me potion?”
 
“Love me potion?! He said it was a love potion, it was an assignment by the Dean, de gozaru.”
 
“It's an easy goof; use too much of a certain ingredient or two and instead of making the drinker fall in love, it makes anyone of the opposite sex fall for the drinker instead. Now how'd he drink it?”
 
“Chao-san said she gave it to him after he ate her new spicy croquette, but she didn't know what she was giving him.”

Misora mentally cursed. “How much did her drink? Do you know?”
 
“Just a small test tube sample; he was going to give it to the Dean later on.”

“Then with luck the effects will wear off soon, but we still gotta save him!”
 
“Right!”
 
Shortly, the two girls spotted the chasers, but they were no longer after Negi. Instead, they were looking around, trying to see where he was hiding. Misora smiled at this.
 
“Good, he gave them the slip. Now, to find him before somebody else does.”
 
“How?”
 
Misora ducked back behind the corner she and Kaede were hiding. She closed her eyes, cupped her hands, and quietly spoke an incantation. A small white glowing orb appeared floating above her hands, but then quickly flew off. Her eyes still closed, Misora quickly explained to Kaede.
 
“A finder spell. It's usually reserved for uncovering enemies in hiding or lost companions. It's become my eyes.”
 
Kaede nodded, catching on. “Can it find Negi-kun?”
 
“I'm following the trail of magical essence the potion's emitting from his body. Looks like… he's hold up in the library. The doors are locked… Not sure if he's alone or not… …Oh no!”
 
“What?”

Misora's eyes flew open. “Nodoka's with him, and she's become affected by the potion!”
 
Hearing this, Kaede took off running for the library, with Misora following close behind. They reached the library doors and tried to open them. However, as Misora had said, the doors had been locked; they couldn't get in.
 
“Who has the key to the library?” Kaede asked.
 
“Aside from the librarian, everybody in the library club has a copy of the key. But by the time we find somebody to unlock the door, Nodoka will have done something-.”
 
“Hey, what's going on?”

Asuna rushed up to Kaede and Misora. “Asuna, we need help,” Kaede stated. “Negi-kun and Nodoka are trapped inside the library and the door's locked.”
 
“The bozu's in there, with Nodoka-san? Who knows what that little hentai'll do to her! Open it up-.”

“It's locked,” Misora exclaimed, “we don't have a key!”
 
“Stand back, you two,” Asuna commanded, using her hands to move Kaede and Misora aside. “I got this.”

“How?”
 
Asuna pats her one leg quickly. “Dancing strengthens the legs. YAAAIIIII!”
 
With one swift motion, Asuna kicked the double doors with great force, sending both doors off their hinges and flying forward into the library. They collided with some bookshelves and, though Asuna and the other two couldn't see it, Negi and Nodoka. The two were taken by great surprise by this; they didn't; have time to move out of the way and the doors slammed into them.
 
Kaede rushed into the library first, looking around frantically until she found a dazed Negi on the floor between the door and a tilted bookshelf. Nodoka, also knocked out, was lying atop of Negi. Kaede sighed with relief; they had apparently stopped Nodoka from doing something she would have regretted later on.
 
“Misora, help me get him outta here!”
 
“Right! Asuna, you take Nodoka, and let's beat feet!”
 
Before Asuna could protest, or even ask what had happened to cause all of the ruckus, Misora and Kaede fished Negi out from under Nodoka and rushed out. With a heavy sigh, she turned to pull Nodoka out form the mess and carried her off towards the nurse's office.
 
“Just what the hell's going on here?”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Consciousness slowly returned to Negi as he opened his eyes. As his vision adjusted, he saw the ceiling of what appeared to be a church above him.
 
What happened to me? …Wait, now I remember; that potion I drank… the girls… Miyazaki-san…
 
“I see you're awake now, Negi Springfield. Welcome to our church.”
 
Negi sat up at the voice. He saw he had been lying in a pew, and looked about to see he was indeed in a church. “How… how did i-?”
 
“Misora-san and Nagase-san brought you here,” the voice explained. “And do not worry; the potion has run its course and you are no longer emitting its influences. And those girls affected by it have regained their senses and carry no memories of what transpired.”
 
Negi turned and he finally saw a tall woman dressed in formal nun attire. She bowed politely at him.
 
“I am Sister Shakti. It's nice to meet you at last, Negi Springfield.” She turned away for a moment. “Cocone?”
 
A little girl with tanned skin and in nun's clothes similar to Shakti's stopped her sweeping of the floor to gaze at her superior.
 
“Please go and fetch Misora and Nagase-san. Negi-sensei is awake.”
 
Cocone nodded and, without a word, walked away, taking her broom with her.
 
“I've taken liberty of informing Dean Konoe about what happened and where you are,” Shakti explained. “He'll be along shortly.”
 
Negi looked at her, slightly confused. “I… I don't understand. You know… who I really am?”
 
Shakti smiled. “Hai. Misora, Cocone, and myself are also mages in the services of the school, and to God. Or mages-in-training in the case of Misora and Cocone. Misora and Nagase-san explained what had happened to me upon your arrival, which by that time the potion had worn off.”
 
“…yes… I can't understand what went wrong, though. It was supposed to be a love potion-.”
 
Shakti knelt beside Negi. “It was a simple mistake, Negi. You see, it's easy to turn a love potion into a love me potion if you use too much of certain ingredients. Love me potions turn their users into irresistible magnets for the opposite sexes.”
 
Negi's eyes then widened. “The magical essences pill I used!”
 
“Ah, that would explain it. Those pills aren't to be used lightly, even by experienced mages. However, you are still young, so perhaps this was God's way of telling you to try being more careful when making potions. There are no short cuts in anything, be it magic or life.”
 
“Negi-kun!”
 
Negi and Shakti turned to see Kaede running towards them. Seeing the concerned look on Kaede's face, Shakti decided not to point out to her that running inside of the church wasn't allowed. “Nagase-san,” she simply said, nodding in acknowledgement.
 
“Kaede-san.”
 
Kaede knelt down beside Negi, her expression changing form concern to relief. “I'm glad you're okay. I was worried, de gozaru.”
 
“Is everything okay now, Sister Shakti?” Misora asked as she approached. Cocone was following her closely.
 
“Hai, Misora.”
 
Negi blushed, embarrassed. “Gomen nasai. I didn't mean to cause any trouble earlier.”
 
Kaede hugged him. “At least you're okay, and none of the other girls did anything to you.”
 
“Yes, well… Miyazaki-san came very close to… no, I won't say. It's lucky someone kicked in the door when they did.”
 
Mental note, Misora thought, do NOT pick a fight with Asuna. Ever.
 
 
End Chapter 5
 
 
Closing notes: So now Negi knows about Misora, Sister Shakti, and Cocone. And he's learned not to try and speed thing up when it comes to brewing potions. How will this affect his relationship with Misora now that he knows she's a mage-in-training? I'm not sure yet; I'm just making this up as I go.
 
The whole “love me” potion (I'm calling it that as I dunno if Akamatsu ever gave it an official name) was one of my favorite parts of the early Negima manga/anime stories. I mixed in a little of both the manga and the anime, though I added in Ako just for fun. As some of you noticed, Asuna wasn't affected just like in the official stories. Does this mean she'll have a role in Negi's life closer to the manga and anime? Well, we'll see.
 
As for whom Misora was referring to when she saw Negi running for his life, you may or may not know whom she meant, but that's coming up soon. Plus, expect everyone's favorite underhanded and perverted ermine to show up sooner than expected. Plus, I got another surprise or two I'm saving for later.
 
Please read & review. And thank you everyone who's done so and supported me thus far.