Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei ❯ Enter... ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Negima: Ninja Magi Sensei
A Negima Alternate Universe fanfic by Robster80
 
Chapter 12: Enter…
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Negima or its characters, Ken Akamatsu does! I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Opening notes: This is a Negi/Kaede pairing story. If you do not like this pairing, or not like Kaede, then please stop reading, and no flames! Otherwise, please enjoy!
 
 
 
The ship S.S. Seahorse dropped anchor and pulled into the Japanese port that late afternoon. Once docked, the captain of the vessel put a call to the nearest exterminator to investigate what he believed to be a pack of rats on his ship; rats that had eluded him and his crew, and had eaten a good portion of the food.
 
Little did the captain realize that the “pack of rats” was only one small stowaway that had slipped onboard just before the Seahorse had left port in England. This little critter, once it realized it had reached its destination, slipped off the boat and carefully made its way, without notice, among the cargo crates on the dock. Once it got clear, it would try to find directions to its true destination.
 
Mahora, here I come! Wait for me, aniki…
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
The girls of 2-A had their eyes fixated on the clock above the door to the classroom, watching as the last few minutes slowly ticked away before the final bell rang to end the day's lessons. Once class was over, they would rush up to Negi and propose their weekend plans.
 
Kaede sat ready to spring from her seat; knowing her classmates, she had to be ready to grab Negi and run the moment the bell rang. If she had to, she'd fight her classmates to get Negi and leave.
 
Psst! Kaede!
 
She blinked; was that Misora's voice? And in her head at that?
 
…Telepathy, right, de gozaru?
 
Yup! I've trained enough to cast silent spells. So… what's the plan?
 
Grab Negi-kun and scram. …I'm taking him with me for training.
 
Understood. Though I was going to ask if he wanted to train in magic with me and Sister Shakti and Cocane, but maybe some physical training would be better given his age. I'll ensure your getaway. …Should I use a slow spell to slow everybody down, or a speed spell to make you faster?
 
I'm fast enough.
 
Slow spell on the class then.
 
Just don't mess up, de gozaru.
 
Misora twitched, ending her telepathic magic. Thanks for the vote of confidence. “De gozaru.” Her eyes then glanced at the clock, seeing there was less than two minutes before class was over. Closing her eyes, she concentrated.
 
Kaede, you'd better be faster than lightning…
 
The clock suddenly struck 3PM. The bell system throughout the campus rang, further announcing the end of the school day. Nodoka loudly addressed the class to stand, which they do, and then bow at Negi.
 
Kaede saw her chance. Now! Before the other girls started lifting their heads up or move their feet, she bolted from her desk towards Negi.
 
Misora sensed this, and finished her silent incantation. A smile crossed her lips as she stood straight after her bow. Not bad, Kaede.
 
The other girls were stunned as Negi suddenly vanished before their eyes. They tried to move, but found their feet stuck to the floor where they stood. Only Misora seemed to be able to move.
 
Ayaka tried frantically to move, calling Negi's name. “Damn it, why won't my feet move?! I can't even take off my slippers!”
 
“Neither can we!”
 
“Negi-kun!”
 
“H-hey, Misora, help us out here!”

But Misora just walked out of the room, pretending not to hear. Don't worry, girls. The spell will wear off in a few minutes. …I think…
 
Chachamaru stood perfectly still, knowing she couldn't use her anti-magic countermeasures while surrounded by her fellow classmates. She would have to wait for the spell to wear off.
 
Very clever, Kasuga Misora.
 
Suddenly Yuna moved her feet, surprising everyone else. She grabbed her books and quickly left the room.
 
So that's what it was after all… But I'll find out who did that later. I'd better try to find Negi-kun.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
Before Negi realized it, he was back in the dorm room with Kaede. “How did-?! Nagase-san, I never knew you were so fast-.” He was cut off as suddenly a small travel bag was thrust into his arms.
 
“Pack casual clothes,” Kaede said as she was throwing in her clothes into her own bag. “Enough for three days.”

“Three days? But where… where are we-?”

“Change in plans, Negi-kun. We're leaving immediately.”

“Leaving?”
 
Kaede zipped up her bag and the moved to her closet. She pulled out two rolled-up sleeping bags and a pop-up tent. “I'm going to train in the woods nearby. And you're coming with me.”
 
“What? But… but what about training with Ku-san?”
 
“If I can, I'll bring her along after tomorrow. Right now, we need to get moving before someone comes here looking for you.”
 
Seeing Negi hadn't even moved, Kaede grabbed his travel bag and moved to his dresser to throw in three days' worth of casual attire. When she finished, she handed Negi his bag back plus a sleeping bag.
 
“Let's get going, Negi-kun.”

“Shouldn't we at least tell Chamo-?”
 
“I already know.” Chamo suddenly appeared from the top bunk. “I was taking a nap when you two suddenly barged in. But what about school-?”
 
“No classes for the next three days,” Kaede explained. “That's why I'm taking Negi-kun with me to train him as a ninja.”

“Go easy on him, Kaede-nesan.”
 
“I'll try.” Kaede took Negi's free hand. “We must go.”
 
“…Okay. But I have a way that will get us to the forest faster than by foot.” Negi reached out and his staff flew into his palm. “We'll fly. As long as the weight isn't too much.”
 
“Lucky for me I watch my weight, de gozaru.”
 
Chamo watched them make for the front door. “I'll keep tabs on Chachamaru and Evangeline while you're gone.”

“Don't tell anyone where we're going, Chamo-san,” Kaede warned. “Not even Misora or Asakura.” And then, she and Negi were gone.
 
The two cautiously made their way through the dorm structure and outside the building. After making their way to a nearby alcove of trees, Negi said an incantation and his staff began to float in a horizontal position. After attaching the sleeping bags by their straps onto the one end of the staff, he and Kaede climbed on. He slowly moved the staff upward to test their weight. He smiled.
 
“We're just right. Now we just have to make sure we're not noticed as we leave.” Negi then turned to Kaede. “Hold on to me tight, Nagase-san.” He turned back to face forward, but suddenly stiffened as he felt two soft orbs pressing into the back of his neck and head. Hot blood filled his face, turning his cheeks red.
 
“Like this, de gozaru?”
 
“Uh… I suppose that will do…”
 
Kaede giggled as they ascended into the air. “You're cute when you blush, Negi-kun.”
 
Once they had reached a high enough altitude, Negi leaned forward and the staff started moving. “Where to, Nagase-san?”

“Turn towards the left. My usual training spot is the forested area by the mountain. Best place to find mushrooms, honey, and char, de gozaru.”
 
Nodding, Negi leaned to his left, causing the staff to turn as well. The two flew quickly towards the one mountain, away from the campus. Once they were far enough away, Negi tilted the front of the staff downward, making them descend into the woods while slowing his speed. Carefully navigating through the trees as they descended, the two finally touched ground, dismounted the staff, and then Kaede led them on foot towards her camping spot.
 
“Will… Nagase-san, I'm not sure if I have what it takes to be a ninja.”
 
“Don't worry, Negi-kun; I won't make you do things that are life-threatening. And, please, call me Kaede; we're out of class and off school grounds. There's no need to be so formal around me.”

“Sorry. It's just… a habit I have, I guess. Being English and all.”
 
Kaede flashed him a smile. “Not all girls like gentlemen. Some in the world prefer bad boys. Don't ask me why; even I don't understand girls' hearts.” She stopped as they found themselves on a small clearing with a knoll surrounded by trees. “We're here.”
 
Negi looked around while Kaede started to set up camp for them. The top of the knoll was flat enough for a tent plus a steel drum barrel, which stood over several cement blocks nearby. Down to the left of the knoll was a little stream, the camp's water source. There was also a small stone circle with charred ground inside of it, which Negi surmised was where Kaede had fires for cooking meals. The scenery reminded Negi a little of his home village.
 
“Do you need help setting up the-. …Oh.”

Kaede looked at Negi as she finished with the tent, puzzled. She hadn't paid attention to what he was saying. “Did you say something?”
 
“No, it's nothing. …I've never gone camping before.”
 
“Some people can take it, some don't care for it. But before the modern era, people had to fend for themselves and travel on foot or use horses and carriages to get where they needed to go.” She started to undo her uniform. “I'll change first,” she said before going into the tent, taking her bag with her.
 
Negi turned away from the tent as Kaede's silhouette began to undress. Again looking out at the scenery before him, he internally wrestled with his doubts. Why was he out here in the woods, about to undertake ninja training? Why had Kaede made him take martial arts lessons? He couldn't beat Evangeline or Chachamaru; they were too strong, plus he couldn't harm his own students. His other students, he realized, were becoming involved in his dangerous life, whether they knew his secret or not.
 
Maybe… it would be better if I left. If I go home, then Evangeline-san won't harm anyone else to get to me. …But then, I'd have to give up my dream of becoming a magister magi… and… my other dream… But is my dream worth the well-being of 29 innocent girls? I know Nagase-san… Kaede-san means well, as does Misora-san, but…
 
Negi sighed heavily. He wanted to run; he wanted to go home. He could do so right there while Kaede was changing.
 
But if I leave… what will become of Nagase-san and he others? Misora-san and Takamichi could protect them. Or even the dean, but…
 
…but they're my responsibility. And so are Evangeline and Chachamaru. If anyoe can, and should, stop them from hurting others… It's me…
 
Kaede finally emerged from the tent, dressed in a burgundy-colored dogi that was sleeveless. Her eyes fell on Negi. “Considering running away, de gozaru?”

Negi whirled around, surprised. “No. No! …yes, I was.”
 
Kaede just smiled at him. “It's nothing to be ashamed of, Negi-kun. Everybody wants to run when they're faced with problems. Some do, and thier problems only get worse once they catch up with them. I doubt the Dean would have took you on as our teacher if he believed you would run. Nor would I bring you out here to show you my training methods in an attempt to better yourself, or ask Ku-san to train you.”
 
She walked over to rest a hand on his cheek. “There were times I wanted to run myself, Negi-kun, both in training and in school. I chose instead to face the challenges head on. Now it is your turn to rise up to the challenge. Go in and change. We'll begin when you've done so.”
 
With a slight nod, finding comfort and courage in Kaede's words, Negi went inside the tent with his bag. Once inside, he shed his suit, tie, and shoes, exchanging them for a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Taking several deep breaths, Negi finally exited the tent.
 
“I hope this will be the proper attire.”
 
“It'll do. At least until I get your measurements and have a gi tailored especially for you. Now come, we begin the basics.”
 
“And they are?”
 
Kaede smiled again. “Finding ingredients for dinner. Char, honey, mushrooms, and if we're lucky, some berries.”
 
Negi blanched. “…The basics are finding food?”

“If one cannot fend for themselves in the wilderness, they starve, de gozaru. Come!” She took him by the hand and led him into the forest.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
It hadn't been easy, slipping through the streets of the city until finally reaching the edge of town, and finally into the seclusion of the forest. However, he had made it, and without being spotted. At that moment, he allowed himself a brief time of satisfaction.
 
I'm almost there now. I hope… Perhaps, I can risk a little flight now. My wings need some exercise after the long trip on the boat.
 
Again making sure he wasn't being watched, he opened his small white wings to stretch them. After a few practice flaps, he jumped and began to fly in the safety and seclusion of the higher tree branches.
 
Several yards ahead, a middle-aged man sat before a small campfire, using a rock for a seat. In his hand was a small canteen filled with water. He was tired, but happy that he finally finished setting up his tiny camp, his getaway for an early weekend. Feeling his throat was a bit dry, he put the canteen to his lips and leaned his head back.
 
A small streak of white flying among the green canopy above him. A streak with… wings?
 
He did not swallow the small amount of water in his mouth. Instead, the camper tilted his head back into an upright position and moved the canteen to examine it. Seconds later, he turned, spat out the water, and then poured the canteen's contents out.
 
“Meh, bottled water is overrated anyway.”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
“Amazing!”
 
Kaede just smiled; she had shown Negi how to catch char (little Japanese fish) by throwing kunai, ninja daggers, with perfect timing and aim. Her catch was three char, one of which had only a second or two prior jumped out of the water.
 
“Try to think of it as you're casting a spell,” she said to Negi. She held up a kunai. “This is your spell. Your target is…” She threw the kunai almost blindingly at a char that jumped out of the pond, pinning it into a nearby rock. “The char. You don't need to wait for them to jump out of the water, though. Try to get one still in the water.”
 
Negi looked at the kunai in his hand, and then at the pond and the char in it. “…This won't be as easy as you make it sound.”
 
“It isn't, de gozaru. It took me two weeks to get it down.”

“TWO WEEKS?!”
 
“But all the practice pays off. Go on, try it.”
 
Shrugging, Negi turned back to the pond, taking one of the kunai in his one hand into the other. Gripping the handle tightly, he watched several char swim in one spot, and then drew back his hand similar to a pitcher winding up. He then threw his arm forward…
 
And the kunai went about two feet before landing in the water, far from the char Negi was targeting.
 
“…Oh drat.”

Kaede walked over to him and stood right behind him. “It was a good try, de gozaru. But your form needs work.” She placed her hands on Negi's, guiding him to take another kunai. “Hold it like this with two or three fingers, almost like you're flinging a stone to skip across water.”
 
Negi blushed from the feel of Kaede's hands making him hold the kunai, and from the feel of her breasts at the back of his neck and head.
 
“Now… instead of throwing it like a baseball, try swinging your arm like this,” she added and she slowly moved his arm with hers to show him how. “Then flick your wrist, like so…” she finished by lightly jerking her wrist to show Negi. “Now try it. Aim for the char, but if you miss, don't worry. Just focus on your throw more than your target.”
 
Negi gave a slight nod as Kaede moved her arm aside to give his arm plenty of room to move. Still holding the kunai as he was instructed, he brought his right arm up and bent it towards himself at chest level, and then looked for a target. Once he saw it, he swung his arm as Kaede showed him and let the kunai fly. He watched as the kunai spun like a disk and strike the water. The char escaped, but the kunai's tip embedded itself on the rocky floor of the pond.
 
Kaede gave a small smile. “Not bad for a beginner. Tell you what, you focus on your throwing, and I'll handle getting the char for dinner, okay?”
 
“Hai. …Sorry I'm not learning fast enough-”

“Don't apologize, Negi-kun. Everything takes practice.”
 
They spent a good hour training as thus; Negi worked on his throwing while Kaede caught enough char for their dinner. However, one char escaped Kaede's aim, but on one of Negi's improved throws, the char found itself with a kunai stuck through its body.
 
Seeing this, Negi blinked in shock. “I… I caught one?”
 
Kaede looked over. “Yes. You did. Not bad, Negi-kun, not bad at all.” That was luck more than skill, but it's still a good catch.
 
After they were done fishing, Kaede took Negi into the woods to scrounge for berries and mushrooms. She helped him avoid picking up any poisonous ones of either kind, and then showed him how to fetch honeycomb by using smoke bombs to scare away bees. Once they finished with this, they returned to camp and Kaede fetched some clean water to use for drinking and cooking. By that time, the sun was setting.
 
It was indeed a new experience for Negi; however, it was an intriguing experience. Gathering mushrooms and berries, fishing, cooking outdoors; Negi had never done anything like it before. It was hard work, but it was fun a little, and the satisfaction of accomplishing even a little of the work with Kaede made it worthwhile. Even the food cooked over an open fire out in nature gave it a taste he enjoyed.
 
Finished with her plate, Kaede got out a small plastic tub and filled it with water she had over the fire in a pot. She explained to Negi that hot or warm water was best for cleaning plates and silverware, and she didn't believe in using paper plates or plastic wares while camping out as they produced more garbage. “Once I take care of our dishes, I'll get a bath ready.”
 
Negi lifted his head. “A bath?”
 
“Yep. I know you don't like bathes, but I ask you to give it a try with an outdoor one. It's quite an experience, de gozaru.”
 
Negi rubbed his chin in thought. “…I've trusted you this far, Nagase-. I mean, Kaede-san. And I must admit…” Negi sniffed his one arm, and then made a face. “All we've done this afternoon and evening has made me work up quite a sweat.”
 
Smiling, Kaede took Negi's plate and then made quick work cleaning up their dishes before she gathered some firewood from their pile and set up a campfire under the steel drum standing on several cinderblocks. Taking one of the burning logs from the cooking fire, she used it to start the fire for the bath, and then she started to fill the drum with water. She even used the leftover hot water that she didn't use for cleaning their dishes.
 
“Give it a few minutes. When it's hot enough, I'll let you know so you can get in. I'll stoke the fire all the while, too.”
 
“Okay. I'll go get my bath things. I'm sure you brought them with us.”

“That I did, de gozaru. They're in your pack. And I brought along garbage bags to put our dirty clothes in so we don't get them mixed up with our clean clothes.”
 
Negi entered the tent and went to his backpack. He took out clean sleeping clothes and underwear and set them aside before he took out a towel. After getting out soap and shampoo, he decided to undress. However, he did it slowly to give the bath enough time to heat up.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
“Man, I'm beat! And my wings are getting tired.”
 
Setting down on the grassy floor of the forest, Heathcliff stretched his wings and then folded them back, to let them rest. He had been flying most of the day while in the forested areas of Japan, and then kept to the ground out in the open to avoid being spotted by people.
 
As he walked along, the sky grew darker, and so did the forest.
 
“Terrific. And I dunno if I'm even close to Mahora Academy. …Well, I guess I'll keep going for a little bit and then find a place to sleep for tonight and restart my journey in the morning. …eh?”

He stopped and lifted his head and sniffed the air. “I smell… burning wood. A campfire's nearby. …And I can smell traces of cooked fish. Wait! This other scent…” His eyes widen. “Aniki! He's nearby!”
 
Filled with excitement, Heathcliff darted forward on all fours. He kept his nose to the air to follow the scent of Negi.
 
“It's getting fiant. Maybe… he's taking a bath or something. I heard some Japanese folks like to take outdoor bathes more than indoor ones, especially ones who camp out. …But what's aniki doing out here in the woods?”
 
K-KAEDE-SAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
 
The loud voice of Negi made Heathcliff come to a stop just near the edge of the woods. He stood perfectly still and opened his ears to listen hard.
 
Joining you for a bath, of course. There's plenty of room for the two of us.
 
That sounds like a woman's voice… I've gotta investigate!
 
Heathcliff lowered himself to his belly and crawled out of the forest, keeping low as he moved slowly up a hillside towards what looked like a campsite. He heard Negi's voice arguing with the female voice and the sounds of water splashing just a bit. Soon the voices died down and the splashing stopped just as Heathcliff found himself behind the tent between him and the campfire on the other side.
 
There now… isn't this better without all that splashing about?
 
I… I guess…
 
Tee-hee! You're blushing.

W-what do you expect? We're both… both… …naked…
 
It's okay for you to look, Negi-kun. I told you before, mixed bathing isn't uncommon in Japanese culture.
 
Mixed bathing? Naked? Heathcliff wasn't sure if he liked the sound of that. He figured Chamo was probably behind the situation Negi was in, but then he couldn't smell the ermine anywhere nearby. Quietly he sneaked around the tent and saw a steel drum standing over a campfire and cinderblocks. Looking up, he saw the upper back of a girl with a long ponytail, her one arm resting on the outer ring of the drum. Behind her on a pile were discarded clothing.
 
“It's okay,” Kaede said to Negi, who sat in front of her. “Lean back some more.”
 
“But-.”
 
Negi suddenly felt an arm around his front and then felt Kaede pull him back gently until his back was against her chest. He gulped, his face reddening, at the feel of Kaede's two breasts against his back. So… soft…
 
“Please relax, Negi-kun. Let the bath soothe your body and let your mind release all your tensions from itself. Don't think about classes. Don't think about Evangeline or her allies. Just concentrate on relaxing your body. And relaxing your mind.”
 
Sighing a little, Negi tried to let go of his thoughts on everything lately and unwind. However, he found it hard to relax when he kept reminding himself of where he was and whom he was with. Sleeping with a girl in the same bed was one thing, but bathing with a girl was completely different.
 
Still, he understood that Kaede was only trying to help him. “Kaede-san?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“…I'm very grateful… for all you've done for me. I doubt that… any of the others would have the patience you have with me.”
 
“Even Misora?”
 
“Well… maybe her. But only because she's a mage like myself. And you've treated me more like a brother than just a little kid. Or even…” he blushed again. “A boyfriend?”
 
Kaede leaned forward to nuzzle her cheek against Negi's. “And you're a proper young man. I know that someday you'll find the right girl, and she'll be swept right off her feet. Who knows? Maybe… maybe if I'm still single around then… I could be your girlfriend.”
 
“K-K-K-Kaede-san!”
 
“Joking!”
 
However, despite saying she was only fooling with Negi, Kaede recalled what Honoka said about her fortune the day Negi first came to Mahora:
 
“You'll have a fateful encounter, and love is on your side.”
 
Love? Am I… am I falling for Negi-kun?
 
“You damn better be kidding about that, sister!”

Kaede and Negi gasped at the voice and began looking around.
 
“Aniki's too young to be corrupted by girls, or to even think about pactio partners!”
 
Negi blinked. “Wait… I know that voice! Heathcliff T. Firefly, is that you?!”
 
“Who?” Kaede got her answer as a small white dragon with blue eyes flew around from behind and floated in front of her and Negi. She opened her slanted eyes. “A… dragon?”
 
Heathcliff nodded. “That's right, sister! Name's Heathcliff; Heathcliff T. Firefly, and I'm here to ensure aniki is safe from that perverted, scheming ermine's plans.”
 
 
 
End Chapter 12
 
Closing notes: And so another chapter is brought forth. It's been a rough time for me lately. Between work, high gas prices, taxes (Yes, that), and a bought with anger management due to Halo frustration and achievement frustration (Damn you, Microsoft/Xbox!), and the fact I'm a lazy person, this chapter took a good while to finally finish. And writer's block. Oh, how I loathe writer's block.
 
Also, I'll admit it - I do NOT know how to write about ninja training. THAT was the hardest part of this chapter. Maybe that's why I put it off for so long. That and ONE PIECE. Plus I got drafted into helping open the family swimming pool and also its redecorating/reconstruction (My sister just HAD to get a rock garden for the pool this year. Family! Sheesh!).
 
Now, I had a complaint come to my attention… does anybody here think I'm pacing the story too fast? Well? Anybody? …Hey, you in the back row! Yeah, I saw your hand go up for a second. It's okay, I can take criticism. Reasonable criticism, anyway. Anybody else think I'm pacing the story too fast?
 
Also, I was also informed I was mistaken about Kaede's rank in the Top 5 Busty Girls of 2-A. Well, since we only know two of the confirmed 5 (Chizuru and Asakura, ranks 1 and 4), who really knows what rank Kaede is? Besides, can we REALLY trust anything put on Wikipedia?
 
And remember… this is FANFICTION! That means not everything needs to be 101% faithful to the original source. Please, folks, don't be picky.
 
Now, about my new character… the name for Heathcliff comes from two parts. First, his first name comes from a cartoon/comic strip starring a tough orange tabby cat of the same name (an 80's classic). Second, his middle initial and last name comes from Rufus T. Firefly, a character played by the one and only Groucho Marx from the 1933 classic movie “Duck Soup.” Lastly, his form of a small white drgaon with blue eyes comes from the Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon card from Yu-Gi-Oh. Why? Because I wish it!
 
Please read and review folks. Also, don't expect updates anytime soon. My interest in Negi is low right now, but I will try to finish this series at least before I call it quits.