Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ Mai-HiME: "Loose Threads" ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mai-HiME: "Loose Threads"
 
Chapter 4
 
 
The lamps were lit at Fuuka Gakuen. Streetlamps illuminated the cobbled lanes as strolling couples slowly returned home from a night out. Lamps lit up dormitory windows as students ate, talked or studied in their rooms. Lamps burned in the school buildings as teachers worked at grading tests and essays.
 
Among the happy couples, yet outside of them a lone figure walked. A girl of sixteen years wore a rumpled Fuuka high school division uniform, the blazer pulled tightly about her. Her strawberry-blonde hair was raked sloppily, strands hung in her face. Her skirt was askew around her waist.
 
The couples, absorbed in their own bliss, ignored this lone girl; banishing her to the periphery of their collective consciousness. As she scampered between pools of light, Tokiha Mai wondered if all the lamps were to trap the light inside or to keep out the darkness.
 
She impatiently brushed hair out of her eyes as she dodged yet another couple enjoying a stolen intimate moment. "They should do that in private," Mai thought bitterly, "Instead of inflicting that on the rest of us."
 
Mai abandoned the street and cut through the academy grounds which were thankfully devoid of students. Traveling across empty playing fields and courtyards, Mai quickened her pace. While it was a warm night and the blazer stifled her, she never slowed.
 
Now approaching the school gardens, Mai began to regret her course. The scent of new blossoms was overwhelming. Yet, instead of invigorating her, the display sickened her with its showcase of senseless beauty.
 
Passing row upon row of manicured, flowering shrubs and bushes, Mai was reminded of the first time she'd come here. She was looking for someone. Now she felt like she was running away.
The open gazebo rose in her path. Its round columns bedecked with flowering vines was illuminated with diffused lights. And as if from a dream a fairy stepped into that soft light.
 
A figure in a sleeveless, pearlescent blue dress with a peasant waist and matching laced sandals. The hem hung just below the knees, enough to show off toned, white calves. Down the girl's back flowed a cascade of dark hair allowed to fly free in the breeze.
 
"Kuga-san?" Mai gasped despite herself.
 
The apparition turned and by the wide-set emerald eyes it was indeed her senpai, Kuga Natsuki.
 
"Tokiha," Natsuki replied quietly. Her face was serene as if the cares she had carried with her entire life had been lifted. "What brings you all the way out here?"
 
"Oh, I'm...on my way home," Mai flustered.
 
"A date with Tate, eh?" Natsuki smiled.
 
"Yeah...something like that," the younger girl mumbled. "But why are you here looking so..."
 
"This?" the dark haired girl asked indicating her ensemble. "Sunday night is traditionally date night at Fuuka. I thought I'd like to try it at least once, so I'm waiting to get picked up."
 
"Is it Fujino-kaichou-sama?" A wide-eyed Mai asked.
 
"Of course," Natsuki replied with a wistful smile (Mai never thought such an expression could cross the normally prickly girl's face.) "Though she's not the president anymore."
 
"Sorry," Mai said.
 
Natsuki only smiled.
 
"But why here and this late?"
 
"The first part is easy," Natsuki replied. "This is where we first met. I think it was the first time I was in awe of anyone. The second part gets a little complicated. Shizuru's studying business
in Tokyo, so she can't see me very often. In fact it's been about a month since the last time."
 
"You don't seem to mind that," Mai observed.
 
"Not really, it's better this way." Natsuki replied. "Shizuru has always supported me, even when I didn't know she did. I was used to being on my own, fighting my own battles. So when I found out what she was doing I wanted to make sure that's what I wanted. So I asked her not to visit too frequently."
 
"What did you find out?"
 
"That I need her. My life was ripped away from me I wanted to fight any and everyone who got in my way. Shizuru taught me that...I don't have to always fight. There's a place I can be at peace. Living for revenge nearly needed my life. I think I'll try living for love for a while."
 
Taken aback, Mai asked, "Are you sure you're the same person?"
 
"Not really. Though I think I like the person I'm turning into."
 
"Um...Kuga-san..." Mai hesitated, not sure how to phrase the next question. "How do you and Fujino-san get past...you know..."
 
"Honestly? It's not something that's come up. Us both being girls didn't occur to me until after it happened."
 
"I thought you freaked our when you found out about her feelings, at least that's what Yukino said."
 
"It was more what she did at the time than what she felt." Natsuki answered. She looked away towards some indeterminate spot in the distance. "She took advantage of me when I was at my weakest point. It took me a long time to forgive her, even though I understand her better now. Shizuru loved me more than she loved herself.
 
"Having to hold herself back like that, never telling me how she felt must have hurt her more than anything. Taking out all my enemies, any kind of threat to me must have been the only way she could show me."
 
Natsuki looked back at Mai, her expression suddenly pained. "And there's one more thing. I felt I was a truly unnecessary person. So what gave Fujino Shizuru the right to love someone like me?"
 
"You felt that way," Mai said quietly.
 
"Not very rational is it?" Natsuki asked, her smile returning with new brilliance. "I got over that eventually. It's not so terrible to be loved by someone. Even if it is a little scary sometimes I won't let her go. I think I'll let her love me. That way I have a chance to love her back."
 
Mai hung her head, hugging herself tightly. Natsuki was astonished to find tears running down the younger girl's face.
 
"Tokiha?"
 
"I-it's nothing," Mai said quickly as she brushed away the tears. To do this she unclasped her arms which pulled open her uniform blazer. Underneath her blouse was ripped in several places and missing several buttons. Her bra was also missing. Small bruises trailed down her neck towards her breast.
 
"Mai," Natsuki gasped. "What happened?"