Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ Tea Leaves, Coffee Beans, and a Touch of Mint. ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yukino awoke for the fourth time in a twenty-four hour span, feeling even more tired now than she had before falling asleep. She arched her back, and stretched out her cramped limbs, doing little to ease the tension. Rubbing her eyes, she reached over to the nightstand for her glasses. She wondered what had awoken her. She wasn’t used to waking on her own, not any more. Mornings involved Haruka marching to and fro, getting ready for the day. Yukino looked over towards the bed Haruka had vacated. Yukino knew she would be gone; she could see the clock. It read seven-twelve already, but it hadn’t felt real until now. She hadn’t even gotten a chance to say goodbye. Yukino took a deep breath, trying to find the motivation to get out of bed and do… What? What is there for me to do today? Sighing, she nevertheless got up, and headed for the shower. This was how her days always began, grabbing a quick shower after Haruka, getting ready for the trials of the day.

Something didn’t feel right as she walked into the bathroom though, something she couldn’t place. It came to her when she turned on the scorching hot water, and felt the cloud of steam waft up towards her…. She couldn’t remember the last time she had gone for her morning shower without meeting a wall of steam at the door. Haruka-chan takes such hot showers. Yukino found herself standing in the bathroom, waiting until the humidity seeped into every corner of the room before turning down the heat to a comfortable level and getting in. Yukino usually liked her morning showers, the feel of the hot water hitting her skin, loosening muscles stiff from sleep and stress. Showers were something Haruka had introduced her to, while most others preferred more traditional baths. I can't even enjoy my morning shower today, not like this. She ended her shower quickly, and headed out into the main room to get dressed, stewing over the options on how to spend her first true day off in what felt like years. She was snapped from her reverie by the ringing of her mobile. Seeing the name, Yukino had to bite back some very uncharacteristic words. She took a calming breath, determined not to let that woman make her lose her cool.

“Hello, Miss President. What can I do for you at this early hour?”

“Kikukawa-san, could I see you in the council room, please?” Shizuru’s voice came over the line, far too cheerfully. Yukino felt a twinge in her stomach, but managed in the same untroubled, formal tone, “Yes, Miss President, I’ll be there as soon as I am able.” Yukino was not prone to anger, but the more she thought about this little situation the more aggravated she became. She was fairly confident that Shizuru would refrain from doing anything to worsen the situation but... It certainly wouldn't kill her to be a little less cryptic. Yukino threw on today’s set of clothes and, considering for a moment, she even slipped on her executive armband; if Haruka had to work today she couldn’t do any less. She finished by running a brush through her hair, for all the good it did, and then set off swiftly for the council room.

“So, Suzushiro-san, are you sure you wish to make this request?” Shizuru inquired, looking quite pleased with herself. Haruka’s eyebrow twitched, more than a little annoyed at the woman’s smug expression, but managed to communicate her answer calmly enough.

“Yes, President, I believe it would be in the best interest of the school. Having-” Haruka was interrupted as the council door was unceremoniously thrown open, an apparently miffed Yukino entering. Seeing two occupants of the room staring back at her, the harsh words she had prepared fled her and she gaped like some strange, tousle-haired fish.

“Haruka-chan!” Yukino found her voice, running in and catching her friend in a tight embrace, “What are you still doing here, I thought you were leaving this morning?” Haruka was a bit flustered at this display from her friend, especially in front of the council president, and disengaged herself stiffly from Yukino’s surprisingly strong grasp.

“Well, as I was just explaining to President Fujino, this operation would run more smoothly with two personnel working on it. I was making an official request that you be allowed to accompany me, as you are the most qualified individual to handle some of the duties associated with this assignment.” Haruka said this as formally as ever, but neither Yukino nor Shizuru could have missed the faint pink tinge that colored her cheeks, though nothing else in her firm countenance would have given her away. In the somewhat awkward silence that followed, Shizuru took her chance to speak.

“Well then, Suzushiro-san, request granted. Would you please do me a favor, and go get Kikukawa-san’s computer from your room? I’m afraid I left mine at home, and I shouldn't like for her to pay for a train ticket and hotel room that could be covered by the school, yes? I just need to access some websites so I can make the required changes. I will explain everything about the assignment to Kikukawa-san while you are gone.”

“Hmm? Sorry, President, but it belongs to Yukino. You need to ask her.” Yukino was surprised: Haruka usually took her agreement and cooperation as a given.

“It’s okay, Haruka-chan, I don’t have any problem with that.” Yukino finished with a grateful smile. Haruka nodded, then turned and left the room. Yukino couldn't help but stare questioningly at her retreating form, before Shizuru interrupted her speculation on the woman's behavior.

“Well, Kikukawa-san, it certainly seemed as though you were upset a moment ago. Were you planning on directing those assuredly unpleasant words at me?” Shizuru had such a knack for making others feel uncomfortable about disagreeing with her, or having any kind of confrontation with her, but Yukino had seen enough such tricks used on Haruka often enough to be mentally prepared for it.

“Yes, they were. Just what are you playing at, Shizuru-san? I’m confused; what you said you would do and what you’re doing appear to be two entirely different things, and I would very much like you to explain that.”

“Ah, you worry too much Kikukawa-san! Everything is going according to plan. I take it Suzushiro-san didn’t inform you of her plan to include you in this assignment? I was rather certain she would come to that decision- I told you that she cared a good deal for you- but I also thought she would have mentioned it. No pillow talk for you two then?” Yukino sighed, it was no use trying to verbally spar like this with Shizuru, so she decided to try a tactic more worthy of Haruka: Just be stubborn.

“Shizuru-san… I not sure what to think about this. I sincerely hope you weren't planning on operating on assumptions and hopes this entire time, but let's forget that for now. Perhaps the larger question is, how is adding an extra assignment in agreement with what you said before?” Yukino refused to let the woman dance around that issue; she was going to get an explanation here and now.

“Kikukawa-san, Suzushiro-san won’t be gone for all that long. Would you like me to take the time to explain my entire plan, or do you think I should perhaps do what I said, and explain the assignment to you? I could do the former if you wish, but you will have to explain to Suzushiro-san what we were discussing during this time, and why you have no knowledge of the 'actual' assignment.” Or at least Yukino thought she was going to get an explanation, Shizuru had her backed into a corner now. Yet another round conceded to the president then.

“Fine then, President, explain this little task then.” What have I gotten myself into? Everything had seemed so straightforward the day before, so simple. She and Shizuru had made a connection, she knew they had… But some things never change I guess.

“Good, Kikukawa-san, just trust me. You and Suzushiro-san are to be ambassadors of Fuuka Academy for a party of individuals considering the enrollment of their children. They wish to first visit the campus to ensure it meets with their expectations and assuredly high standards in an educational facility. Your duties will be twofold. First, you are to meet them from their flight at the Kansai International Airport. In case you haven’t come to the conclusion yet, they are from abroad and are quite wealthy, which is why we would rather like them to enroll. Second, They will be recovering from their flight at a nearby hotel for one day and one night, before traveling to the academy on the next. You and Suzushiro-san will be arriving one day early to familiarize yourself with the city and the hotel so as to be able to guide them; you will be staying there as well. Our representatives must appear capable, confident, and knowledgeable at all times; so it is imperative that you use the time you are given to familiarize yourself with the area. Do you understand everything so far?”

Yukino understood all right, and was grudgingly impressed at how quickly such a scenario had been planned, but was still confused about just how this was fitting into Shizuru’s earlier statement. This still didn‘t seem like “time off” of any sort. Shizuru might think that getting away from the school grounds counted somehow, but Yukino knew that Haruka would be focused on her assignment, as usual, which was what this “vacation” was supposed to circumvent. Yukino was about to point this out, but was forced to hold her tongue as Haruka made her return to the room, holding out the computer for the president.

“Thank you, Suzushiro-san, Kikukawa-san. I’m very grateful to both of you for letting me use this.” Shizuru accepted the laptop from Haruka and flipped it open, logging on to the wireless network and accessing the necessary information. “I just need to make a change with the transportation and hotel reservations….“ She typed a few moments in silence. Unknown to the pair, she wasn't actually changing anything, the reservations had of course been made for two the entire time. “And there. Finished.” Shizuru closed the computer and handed the it to Yukino, smiling at both of them.

“I’ve explained the situation to Kikukawa-san. Now I think both of you need to go pack. Make sure you bring some nice dress-clothing for greeting them at the airport, first impressions are everything. They can see the school uniforms the next day, when you are to be discussing the school. Go ahead and bring something comfortable and casual as well, for the first day there. You’ll be doing quite a bit of walking about after all. Hurry now: the train will be leaving from the station at eight ten, sharp.” Shizuru rose and gently guided them to the door, waving to them once they had gone through it. Yukino was a little irritated, and just a bit disappointed. Irritated because Shizuru could be quite the slippery little eel when she wanted to be, and disappointed because it looked like Shizuru’s plan was a bit less than she had expected. This sure doesn’t look like it's miraculously going to get Haruka to…

“So, Yukino, the President explained everything, right? About the prospective students, and our responsibilities as representatives?”

“Yes, Haruka-chan, she covered everything.” Common sense told Yukino to leave well enough alone, but she couldn‘t help ask a question that had been burning in her mind, a question she needed to hear Haruka answer herself, “Haruka-chan? Why exactly did you think I needed to come along? It's not that I’m complaining,” She added hurriedly, smiling and closing her eyes, waving her hands in front of her as if to physically dispel any such suspicion from the other woman’s mind, “I’m just curious as to what you need me to do.”

“Ah, that is… I feel that two people would make a more appropriate welcoming committee for such important guests. Also, I could use your help in making sure that all their questions get answered satisfactorily. If they happen to ask me anything about the students, for example, I believe I may find it difficult to say something positive. You’re also a very organized person, Yukino, and I just thought that having you along might make everything run smoother. Um… so, yes.”

“I got it, Haruka-chan, I won‘t let you down.” Yukino smiled disarmingly at Haruka, secretly amused, and not a little flattered, at the sight of Haruka’s babbling and the slight pink tinge that appeared on her cheeks, in sharp contrast to the serious expression that remained fixed on her features. Oh sure, everything that she had said was technically true, but Yukino knew Haruka better than that after all these years. Even if she was only trying to make up for the previous evening, Haruka was showing some consideration towards more than her responsibilities as an executive, and that was more than Yukino had expected to see at this point.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, each of them dealing with their conflicted feelings on this new development in their lives. They reached their room soon, and entered, packing away their changes of clothes and other necessities in continued silence. Yukino absent-mindedly patted her chest to make sure one item was still there before proceeding to her other chores. She packed her spare school uniform, the outfit she had selected the previous night as her casual attire, and thought hard about what she could wear that would qualify as “elegant”. It didn't take her too long, as she remembered a present Mai had given her following the Festival. She pulled out the sleeveless red dress Mai had sewn for her, just about identical to the one she had been provided for a stage costume at the HiME Ranger party. She hadn't yet worn it, for obvious reasons, when did she ever get the opportunity to? As she took it down and loosely folded it to fit her case, she noticed a card attached to the inside: For when Yukino-chan finally wants to stand out, I hope this helps- Mai. Yukino smiled, and was a little self-conscious that she hadn't found this card until long after the fact. I guess we'll find out if it's going to help. Yukino curiously looked over to Haruka, but the woman had finished her packing already, so Yukino couldn’t see what she had chosen.

When all was finished, they had one suitcase packed apiece. Haruka disliked to travel over-burdened, and Yukino was just reserved by nature, careful and deliberate in almost everything she did, including packing. They set off towards town, planning on flagging down a taxi to take them to the train station. Yukino was the first to break the silence established by their activity.

"Won't this be fun, Haruka-chan? I mean, it's nice to be doing something again, things have been really quiet for a while. It seemed like we were always busy before, but it was still fun when we could work together so much..." Yukino fell silent, she hadn’t meant to say so much, but Haruka could see her friend’s eyes sparkle with repressed anticipation as she spoke, I guess I did the right thing, then, convincing Fujino to let her come. Yukino’s attitude was dangerously infectious, and Haruka had to force herself to maintain a degree of formality when she answered.

“I’m sure it will be enjoyable, but don’t make more out of this than what it is. We are at work, and for now we need to concentrate on keeping our timetable.” Yukino checked her mobile; it was nearing eight o’clock by now; they really did have to hurry.

Nine minutes later they jumped out of a taxi, dropping some money in the front seat as they made their way towards the train station, looking for their number as they ran. They managed to get to the platform only seconds before the last call for passengers went out, and clambered on, walking through a few compartments before finding an empty one near the back. Haruka let Yukino take a seat first, finding her own one closer to the door. Haruka didn't want Yukino to be the first one to encounter any dangerous deviant that decided to burst in. She doubted anything of the sort would happen, but one could never be too careful. They both stretched out as comfortably as they could in the seats, looking out the window as the train began passing the outskirts of town, just beginning to enter the countryside.

As they watched the landscape go by , they both started to get drowsy, the events of the last twenty-four hours catching up with them. Especially Haruka, who hadn’t managed to get any sleep at all the previous night or enjoy her usual morning coffee.

Yukino woke up when she heard a conductor walk through the train, telling everybody to prepare to unload because they were nearing their destination. She noticed a weight on her thigh, and looked down to see Haruka peacefully snoozing while using her leg as a pillow of sorts. Yukino smiled, Haruka must have inadvertently shifted about in her sleep, trying to get more comfortable. Yukino hated to wake her, but knew she had too, but first gently picked Haruka up and settled her into a less awkward sitting position for when she awoke. Only then did she gently but firmly nudge her friends shoulder, telling her that they were about to arrive. Haruka awoke gradually, stretching out in a most contented feline manner, after enjoying the best rest she had gotten since... well, since yesterday, but it had been even better now for some reason. I wonder if I’ll ever get to rest this well in an actual bed. She wondered sleepily.

Yukino got up and stretched also, relieving the stiffness in her legs and retrieving their scant luggage from under the seat. Soon enough, they felt the train begin to slow, nearing its destination. They picked up their packs, and went out into the corridor, joining the other few who were just now starting to leave their own compartments. Haruka led the way through the quickly-forming crowd of other travelers. They provided their ticket stub to the conductor, and stepped out into the train station in Osaka. It was a struggle for the two girls to not gape at the magnitude of what confronted them: A sea of people restrained only by tall buildings. If the masses of people going about their lives were any indication, it was business as usual for this place.

Neither of them had ever been into the heart of a major city like this, and the feeling of smallness was tangible as they faced such a sight for the first time. Televisions and stereos in store windows and displays added to the buzz of noise that permeated the environment. People of all standings scurried about, on the same streets together though seemingly not aware of one another. Haruka was the first to become irritated with her gawking and brought them back to the business at hand: locating their hotel.

“That Bubuzuke woman said the hotel was near the station. The Hotel Nickel Osaka-”

“Hotel Nikko Osaka...”

“Whatever, somebody around here must be able to give us some simple instructions to finding it.” Haruka nodded, having made up her mind on the matter, and quickly went to the edge of the passing populace, plucked out a person by his sleeve, and asked him matter-of-factly, “Can you tell us where the Hotel Neko Osaka is?”

The poor fellow that Haruka had snagged appeared to be in his thirties, but faced with this young woman’s directness, unwavering stare, and demanding expression...well, he wasn't made of that stern a stuff, luckily for him. Even better, he knew the answer.

“Hotel Nikko Osaka?” he sputtered, “It...that is, it's down that way a few blocks,” He gestured off behind him but didn't break from Haruka's patented cobra-gaze, “It’s...a tall white building. The only hotel for a good ways in that direction. You can’t miss it.”

Satisfied, Haruka let the man go, and he quickly fled, fading into the crowd of people. Haruka and Yukino stood there for a few long moments, looking uncertainly at the throng, neither relishing the thought of entering it themselves. Resigning herself to the unavoidable, Haruka tersely said, “Come Yukino, let’s go.” Before grabbing the other girl's hand and pulling her into the crowd.

That turned out to be a blessing, Haruka taking hold of her hand like that, as they found themselves jostled and shoved at every step. Haruka, who was by now used to people giving her a wide berth when she walked through a crowd, quickly became irritated by the constant collisions, and put on her very best angry expression, trying to bull her way through the crowd. This utterly failed to work, as she only succeeded in irritating other people, and receiving more pushes and shoves for her trouble. Yukino sighed, and pulled Haruka close, whispering into her ear, “Follow me", Before making her way swiftly and gracefully through the crowd. Yukino was non-confrontational, and had become quite skilled at weaving through large groups of people when alone. It's been a while since I've had to do this though. Usually I just follow in the path Haruka-chan provides.

Haruka wasn’t good at doing anything but by the most direct path available, but did her best to match Yukino’s side-stepping and twisting about. Just as she felt she was getting the hang of it, she felt Yukino shake her hand and looked up, seeing the hotel they would be staying at for the first time.

“It's pretty impressive, I guess,” she grudgingly admitted. In truth, it was magnificent, a pristine white building with tall glass windows on every floor rose more than thirty stories, looming over them. They hurried into the lobby area and found the reception desk within. Haruka asserted her lead once more, this being more her area of skill than soft-spoken Yukino’s, and slammed her hand on the desk, demanding the undivided attention of the host.

“We have a room reservation under the names Kikukawa and Suzushiro, of Fuuka Academy. Please, direct us towards our room.” Despite what her words might have suggested, there was absolutely no “request” in Haruka’s statement. With a glance at her stony expression and unyielding demeanor, the man thought that it would be best not to argue about little points of etiquette with the loud girl in front of him. My, my, how savage the Japanese youth are these days. The aging fellow quickly looked up the names in the computer registry, but when the results came up he was surprised enough that his polite expression faltered.

“Is there a problem?” Haruka asked, eyebrow raised. The man coughed, looking between the two girls, and back at the screen, and back again, before deciding it would be best to say something, before the loud one got violent. She looks like she might do it! What has happened to our people?

“Ah, no ma’am, there’s no problem at all, besides there being no mention of the school. It’s just that…but I suppose these things are more common now...I was just surprised. I sincerely apologize for my breach of decorum.” He took a deep breath, “You will be staying in room 3409. I shall take you up there now.”

Yukino and Haruka exchanged glances at the man’s odd behavior, but decided not to ask. He first tried to take their bags, but Haruka motioned him away: they could certainly manage their small amount of luggage! So he shrugged, and gestured for them to follow, making his way to an elevator. Floor thirty-four looked much the same as the other floors upon which several people had debarked from the lift, but the desk manager's disposition still seemed to indicate that something was amiss with the situation. They reached the room, and the employee unlocked the door with his key card. Haruka walked in, and turned on the light, Yukino at her heels.

Yukino also happened to be the one to recover first from the shock of seeing their quarters, and took it upon herself to question the balding man behind them, though she knew there was no mistake, not with Shizuru having made the reservations.

“Ah, sir, there seems to have been some sort of mistake with our reservation, is there any possibility of a room change?”

“I am terribly sorry ma'am, but with the convention in session... That is, I’m sorry that there seems to have been some mix-up, but we have no other rooms available at this time. However, it is still a quite serviceable room, and very...comfortable… as you can see.” All this was said as he was slowly backing away, casting what he thought to be surreptitious worried glances at Haruka's back. He then politely excused himself, ducking out of the room before the loud, violent woman- Is she a lady or a monster?- could turn back to him, which likely would have happened, as Haruka managed to progress past stunned silence to incoherent rage soon after he left. Even with what she had seen in the past, Yukino would never have imagined that Shizuru would do something so spectacularly…inappropriate. I’ve created a monster. That’s all there is to it, Shizuru has lost her mind.

“The.. that... gah! What will the other guests think? Oooh, when I get my hands on that woman, I’ll...I’ll…” Haruka wasn’t able to form any words past that, but was very ferocious looking as she glared, growling and strangling the air before her. Yukino decided to leave her traveling companion to her destroy-Shizuru pantomiming, and turned a critical eye to the place that would be their home for the next couple of days. It was quite obviously one of the honeymoon suites of the Nikko Osaka, complete with a single huge, heart-shaped bed dressed in red silk coverings. Well, the room isn’t so bad, really. Sure, the color scheme may be on the red-and-pink side, but it's not glaring. It was fairly large too, with a traditional bathing room presumably through a side door, and a balcony through a set of sliding glass doors, currently curtained. They had a little kitchen area specially set up with a tea kettle and coffee pot, which was a nice change from most hotels' habit of keeping such things in the bathroom, and they even had a little closet. Besides the bed, Yukino couldn’t see anything overtly “romantic” about the room, but just the fact that they were staying on what was apparently the newlyweds' floor was bound to raise some eyebrows, And Haruka-chan most definitely does not enjoy eyebrows raised in her direction. With that thought, Yukino glanced back at her partner, who seemed to have finally throttled phantom-Shizuru to her hearts content, and was looking about the room herself. Yukino sat down on the bed to wait for her conclusion, and was pleasantly surprised. Oh wow, this is...unbelievable! She couldn't resist laying down on the velvet-textured, squashy bed , and closed her eyes; it had been a long day after all, and it wasn’t even half done. Her eyes opened as she felt a weight settle down beside her, and saw Haruka sitting down on the edge of the bed, still looking irritated, but calm enough to talk now.

“Well, Yukino, we can’t let some little mistake throw us off of our objective here. This room will be serviceable; we can stay here for as long as necessary. This is no problem. No problem at all. For now, let’s unpack. We can’t make a good impression with wrinkled clothing.”

“Yes, Haruka-chan. It won’t be so bad, we won't be spending too much time here anyways. At least the bed is comfortable.” Yukino finished with a cheery smile, trying to relieve the dour expression on her friend’s face. Haruka did manage a weak smile in return, happy that Yukino was okay with the arrangements at least.

“Yukino, I’m going to go get some air, come get me if you need anything.”

“Yes, Haruka-chan, I’ll stay here and set up my computer, and then see about unpacking.”

Yukino unloaded her laptop from her case while Haruka walked past her toward the doors leading to their balcony. As she was scouting about for an outlet to plug into, she was startled by the sound of Haruka shouting for her from out on the balcony.

“Yukino! Come over here!” Yukino got up, swiftly running out to see what was wrong.

“What is it, Haruka-chan?” Yukino queried, she only saw Haruka standing there, looking out at…

“I thought you'd like this.” Haruka smiled at Yukino’s awed expression, though she wouldn’t admit that her own face had looked much the same a moment ago. Haruka walked back and pulled Yukino forward by her arm to the railing. “You can see it better if you actually come out here,” she explained. The late morning sun shone on the expanse of the city, glittering on the glass and steel buildings that sprinkled with the landscape, seemingly tending their “children,” the shorter buildings that formed the heart of Osaka. Yukino leaned out on her elbows, trying to see as much as possible. Haruka maintained a more upright stance, unconsciously challenging, no daring, the city to come up with something she couldn't handle. Yukino noticed that Haruka hadn’t released her grasp on her arm, but didn’t say anything. They looked out over the landscape, seeing the tiny little people below still milling about, always going, never seeming to get there. It makes me feel...small, Yukino mused, not knowing that Haruka was thinking along the same lines, but with a great deal less awe and far more irritation: Haruka and insignificance did not work well together. Yukino felt that grip tighten almost imperceptibly on her shoulder, and looked up and Haruka’s face, a visage of determined resolution tinged with the tiniest edge of doubt. Yukino reached up and laid her hand on Haruka’s, just resting it there, and she saw Haruka look down with that wonderful, unbelievably caring expression she had seen so rarely before. Then it was gone, and the usual Haruka was back, just as unwavering and dogged as before, and even more so, for that little worm of doubt was gone now in the glow of her closest friend's absolute confidence.