MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Marriage, Millionaires, and Motorcycles ❯ Future Memories ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
InvincibleInuYasha: Hey, did you like the last chapter? I thought it was okay, but in the end, it's your opinions that keep this story going. Anyway, i"ll try to make some new plot development here. I dunno. Just review, let me know if I'm doing good enough for you lol. And could someone tell me what the sentence would be for Takuhai? I think his case would be attempted murder and sabotage. Maybe, I'm not sure. lol. Don't think I'm ever going to be a lawyer, lol. R&R!

Chapter Five: Future Memories

"We've taken him into custody. We're gonna see what he has to say and then we'll set a date for the trial." Rei stared at Officer Okuda, "So, what might happen to him?" Officer Okuda sighed and folded his hands together, "I can't really say, I'm not that much in the judicial scene. Probably some jail time, possibly without bail." "And what could I get?" Okuda answered, "Hm, well, seeing as your father wants to sue, I'd assume you'd be getting quite a large chunk of money. And Mitsuru lives alone, and he's been in so many races, usually getting in the winner's circle if you're not racing. So I'd say he's got plenty of money. You'd probably get about ten, fifteen grand."

Rei's eyes widened as her sat up, "Holy shit! I'd be set for a while with that cash." He contemplated his thoughts for a moment, "Well, hey, my father can get his best lawyer's to sap all the cash outta him... I dunno. I think I'd better talk to Kira about it. Maybe we shouldn't sue." Okuda argued, "Rei, he crashed into you twice, you've got every reason to-" Rei stopped him, a confused expression on his face, "Wait a sec... Wait... twice? I know there was that other time he tried to fix my bike, but a-a crash?" Okuda groaned as he rubbed his hand over his face, "Oh man, I screwed up."

Rei stood, "What the fuck's going on?" Okuda sighed, "Rei, Akitaka asked us to keep it a secret. The reason you crashed last year wasn't 'cause of an oil spill, or a nearby crash, or any of the other rumors you may have heard. Mitsuru... he crashed into you that time." Rei stuttered, not knowing what to say at this. Okuda continued, "Mitsuru had made it look like an accident, like his bike was malfunctioning. Akitaka knew you'd get mad if we told you too soon." Rei curled his fingers into a fist, "Still, why wasn't I told? I-I'm not as crazy as I used to be, it's not like I would have completely lost my mind over it." Okuda tried to say something, but Rei had cut him off, "The fact that none of you trust me bugs me more that what Mitsuru did. And Kira-" Rei sighed, "Kira..."

Okuda said, "Akitaka insisted that she kept quiet. But she hadn't even seen it to begin with. She was with Kyoko getting some food when it happened, Akitaka filled them in. So don't get upset with Kira." Rei shook his head, "Whatever. I have to go anyway. Bye."

*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*

Harumi brushed her hair out of her face, "What do you think, Kira?" She flipped through a book of sketches filled with clothing designs. Kira smiled, "These are great!" "Yeah, lately I've been thinking, I could be more than a hairdresser. I could be a fashion designer! I mean, I have some connections already. In all those dressing rooms I've been in, there are plenty of fashion consultants and designers around too." Kira said, "You should go for it. These are nice." Harumi grinned, "Thanks. And I was also thinking, you could help me too! I mean, you're a great artist, you could help me with some designs, if you want. I know you and Rei are looking to get a new house and have a kid, so, if I can actually go somewhere with this, we could partner up." Kira said, "That'd be great. I could start after I'm done with art school. After this year, I have only one more left." Harumi stretched her arms out, "Okay, so then we'll see what Rei and Tatsu have to say." Kira giggled, "You call him Tatsu now?" Harumi smiled, "Yeah. He said he says he doesn't like it, but I love it."

Kira's cell phone began to ring, "Oh, it's Rei. He must be leaving Akitaka's house by now." She answered, "Hi, Rei. Are you okay?" Over the line, Rei said, "Yeah, I'm fine. Where are you?" "I'm at Harumi's place." "Oh. Well, I'll go pick you up. You're not wearing sandal or a skirt, are you?" Kira smiled, knowing what was coming, "No." "Good. We'll take a ride on my bike. I wanna talk." Kira raised an eyebrow, "Okay. I'll see you later. Love you." "Love you too."

After Kira snapped her phone shut, Harumi asked, "So, are you feeling better?" Kira smiled, "Yeah. The doctor said I'll be okay soon. But I'll have to keep taking medications so I don't get worse or infect Rei. That would be terrible." Harumi said, "Are you gonna try for a baby again?" Kira laughed, "Rei really wants to. So I suppose we are. I think... I think Rei'll be a good dad." Harumi smiled, "Of course he will. He's already so excited and you're not even pregnant yet. You're kids will have the best dad ever." Kira sighed, "And he'll protect them from all of the bad things in the world, too."

A knock on the door interrupted the girls' coversation, "I'm home!" Harumi bounced off the couch, "Tatsu! You're home early!" After the couple greeted each other, Tatsuya noticed Kira, "Oh hey, Kira. How's it goin'?" Kira answered, "Not much. Rei and I have been looking through some houses and apartments in the area. We're gonna look around again today. Maybe we'll get to be your neighbors!" Tatsuya grinned, "That'd be cool. And weird." Harumi asked, "How would it be weird?" Tatsuya laughed, "Just imagine the spawn of Rei and our kids tearing down the building!" Harumi blushed and smacked Tatsuya's shoulder as he and Kira laughed. Tatsuya shrugged, "Hey, we are gonna get married eventually, and we might have kids, right? That's what I want, anyway." Harumi smiled at him, "Okay, when we get married, I'll be sure to make a bunch of precious little babies just for you. Well, for Kira's kids too, so they can have some playmates."

The roar of an engine outside of the apartment complex interrupted them yet again, "Here comes the monster," Tatsuya joked. Rei entered the door a few moments later with a grin, "Hey, you started the party without me. So, what's goin' on?" Tatsuya shrugged, "Nothin'. Just talking about demolition by child." Rei cocked an eyebrow, "What!?" "Nothing." "Ooo-kay.... So, Kira, wanna hit the road?" Kira nodded, "Let's go."

*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*

The sign mounted on the building read:
Psychiatric Hospital and Rehabilitation Center

He was regaining his lost memory. He was acting up again. The doctors continued to study his behavior and tried to ease his temper. But his mind was set. He had to see that boy again. And if nothing changed, if he didn't returned to the way he was, he would be killed. Masao was determined to do just that.

A Dr.Honda was currently trying to pry into mind of the crazed boy before him as they walked through the hospital grounds. But he was simply impenetreble. The doctors would see through his tricks, his fake tears, his fake panic attacks. Masao had given up on those long ago. But what the doctors couldn't crack was his constantly stoic expression. He wouldn't let them see even a glimpse of his thoughts, his rage, his hate. It was all hidden underneath a carefully constructed veil, guarded from analysts, psychiatrists, and machines.

Dr. Honda observed how Masao would eat. None of the others found his eating habits relevant to their study, but Dr. Honda notcied something that everyone else decided to ignore. Whenever Masao ate, he would never touch his knife. At the hospital, knives were given out in the cafeteria, but the patients were kept under surveillance and the knives were counted after meals to make sure the patients wouldn't sneak them out. Some patients would grip their knives with such a force that their knuckles turned white, some of them would shift their eyes from the knife and their wrists. But Masao never touched his knife. It was always left to the side of his tray and it would stay there during the entire meal. Even when tough meats were served, Masao kept the knife to the side.

This struck a curious spot in Dr.Honda's mind. Is there a reason why Masao, a seemingly stable person at times, chose not to touch his knife, not even brush it with his fingers? Does Masao have a memory from long ago that struck in him a fear of knives? Dr.Honda knew that this patient had once stabbed one of his peers, almost lethally, but whether or not it was this event that gave Masao this strange behavior at mealtimes was what made him tick. Most of the other doctors said he was probably just self-healing, staying away from knives for fear that he would feel the urge to stab again. Other doctors said he was still recoving from his last encounter with a knife. But Dr.Honda sensed something. He knew that Masao wasn't trying to better himself, he didn't have a fear. Dr.Honda had a hunch that Masao was up to no good. He could tell that something terrible would happen soon, and it had to do with Masao and a knife. Unfortunately, in a hospital full of research and science data, a hunch isn't recognized as something to worry about.

And sure enough, as Masao cleaned up his plate, staring at the knife, he said to himself, 'The next time I touch a knife will be when I kill Rei Kashino.'

*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*

"So, you're sure about this apartment?" The realtors shuffled papers around in her hands while Kira and Rei nodded. Rei said, "We'll take it. Right Kira?" Kira smiled, "It's perfect. Harumi and Tatsuya were right. I knew we'd end up neighbors." The realtor placed some papers in her breifcase and gave some to Rei, "Well, I'll just need you to fill those out. I'll come pick those up in a week. If you change any plans, just let me know. I'll work up the rest of the papers and then you'll have your new home." Kira smiled, "Thanks so much." "No problem."

As Kira and Rei walked out of the complex hand in hand, Rei said, "I almost forgot. Takemura called me this morning." Kira asked, "How is he? Is something wrong with Shiori again?" Rei said, "He's fine, and so is Shiori. He said that he was going to host an art show next month, and he asked if you wanted to show any of your art." Kira said, "That'd be good. Maybe I could sell a few paintings. And then we can buy some new furniture. The stuff we have now is getting old."

Rei suddenly asked, "Why didn't you tell me what happened at that race?" "W-which race?" "The first time Mitsuru crashed into me." Kira sighed, "I- Akitaka asked everyone to keep quiet about it. We knew you'd get upset if you'd found out." Rei said, "Well, I'm not that upset about it. Mitsuru's a sore loser, I know that. But none of you trust me. If anything happens, just tell me, Kira. That's what really upset me." Kira said, "I'm sorry." Rei squeezed her hand, "It's alright now. I love you, Kira. Now, let's go home." He smirked, "Let's try again tonight." Kira smiled, "Yeah." Rei smiled and handed Kira a helmet, "Then let's get outta here."

*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*~:~*

InvincibleInuYasha: Hey! Sorry again, for taking forever to get this chapter done, and it's not even that long. Anyway, R&R, I'll try to squeeze in an extra chapter this month! (I hope...) lol, R&R!