Marvel Avengers Fan Fiction ❯ Clarity ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He was almost amazed, no surprised that the girl didn’t comment or asked whether he was Tony Stark. It surprised him even more that she wasn’t acting all giddy like nearly all the other women in the world did, well the other women who weren’t his assistant, Pepper Potts, but still. Tony sat there, watching the girl with her long ash brown hair tied in what looked like a haphazard mess of a bun.

Just from her body language, the way she was looking down and her shoulders seem stiff, the girl didn’t want to be bothered. He had to admit though, he’s noticed a few guys trying to talk to her earlier. He found the way she just ignored all the attempts made by other males to engage in a conversation with her amusing. He supposed this was what made him want to take a stab at talking with her. That and she was just about the only woman in the nightclub that didn’t giggle flirtatiously at him.

“You really don’t know who I am, do you?” Tony asked once she looked back at him. He didn’t mean to have that sarcastic edge to his tone but it was a natural part of him. The slightly annoyed look in the girl's face told him she had picked up on it. This was definitely a challenge. Trying to talk with her and win her over was going to be a challenge. But Iron Man never backs down from a challenge so challenge accepted.

She just glared darkly at him, her gaze softening a bit as she looked him over. Her eyes then glanced at the TV hanging over the nearby bar. It could have been a coincidence that whoever was in charge of the night club's bar had the tv turned to the news that was covering his reveal of him being the metal superhero, Iron Man. But Tony kept quiet, resisting the urge to laugh and smile, though he couldn't help the little smirk that formed on his lips.

"Unless you're the real deal, you do look like Tony Stark, but other than that, no, I don't know who you are." The woman said softly, she looked annoyed, her gaze looking around for her friends but they had disappeared into the crowd of people on the dance floor some time ago and only God knows when they would re-emerge to have her take them home.

Tony finally allowed himself to chuckle. He rested his arms on the table between them and leaned closer. This made the girl immediately reach for her glass of water. Obviously, she was ready to throw the damn thing in his face. Predicting her next action, Tony sat straighter and held his hands in a defenseless manner, a sign that he meant no harm.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, my name's Tony Stark and yes, I am the real deal," He started, "I came here because I've been in a rut with my work, then I noticed you were by all your lonesome. So I was gonna try and charm you into a one night stand but I see now that I'm really off my game tonight."

Many emotions flickered on the woman's face as he said that. First surprise, then confusion, and finally...

Tony allowed himself to smile at seeing the girl before him trying to wrap her mind around all that he's said. About a minute later she cracked a small smile. He watched as she quickly covered her mouth to stifle the laughter threatening to escape her throat.

"This is a joke, right?" She asked.

Tony's smile faltered a bit as he heard her question. He cleared his throat and stared at her.

"Excuse me? A joke? W-what do you mean by a joke?" He replied, feeling both curious and maybe a tiny bit put off by her not falling for his "charm."

The girl ran her fingers through some of the stray strands of her hair that had escaped her bun as she caught her breath in attempts to recompose herself. "You tell someone you wanna have a date with your favorite celebrity, my favorite being Tony Stark, and they send me someone who looks like Tony Stark, but isn’t him.” She laughed for a bit before breathing in again. Closing her eyes again, Tony watched her calm herself before she opened her eyes and spoke again.

“I’m sure my friends paid you to come over and act like Tony Stark, but I think you’re overselling it. Just a bit,” she said, putting her finger and thumb close together as an emphasis. “But you’re pretty convincing, so A for that.”

He didn’t know what to think though he definitely felt amusement. Tony chuckled, running a hand through his hair. “You really think I’m an imposter, huh?”

“Yep, a damn good one because the real Tony Stark wouldn’t be hanging out in this lowbrow club and if he did, he would be showing off that Arc Reactor on his chest, probably exaggerating the story of what happened with those terrorists, leading into his birth as Iron Man.” As the girl rambled on, Tony, a big smile on his face, reached for the top buttons of his dress shirt and undid enough of the buttons to let her see the electromagnetic device that protected his heart. Her ramble was cut short as she stared at the glowing device. “Holy shit, you are the real deal…”

“Yep, I’m the real deal. My name’s Tony Stark.” Tony felt highly amused by this girl. Sure she wasn’t one of his fangirls but the fact that she had guessed how he would have played one of his usual fangirls with the story of Iron Man’s birth was… well, it was impressive, to say the least.

His smile turned into a frown as the girl muttered about getting out of here and slipped out of the booth. "Hey, don't I get to know your... name..." But she was already going outside. "Well, you finally did it, Stark. You scared a girl off." Tony muttered, feeling a bit annoyed. He sighed and pulled out some dollar bills to pay for his drinks and the girl's drink before slipping out of the booth himself.