Marvel Avengers Fan Fiction ❯ Clarity ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 "Alright, Jarvis, run a quick simulation of the upgraded suit."


She heard Tony's voice behind the glass frames that seemed to protect anyone on her side from all the experiments and possible explosions that could happen in the lab. But the glass didn't keep out the sounds apparently.

Cat stopped at the last few steps of the stairs, feeling a strange fluttering sensation in her stomach at hearing the billionaire inventor's voice. Her hands gripped the railing as she stood there, listening to the conversation between the man and the AI.

"Of course, Mr. Stark," Jarvis replied.

"Oh, and Jarvis?" Tony started.

"Yes, Sir?" the A.I. asked.

"Can you let Ms. Catmint in? I'm sure she's getting tired of waiting outside the lab."

Shock spread through her body at hearing Tony say that and she immediately took off running back upstairs.

I believe Ms. Jones was scared off by your invitation, sir.” Jarvis replied.

A sigh left Tony’s lips as he heard that. He ran a hand through his rumpled hair, “Of course she’d be scared off. After all the shit that happened last night. I swear this girl is one big challenge after another.” Tony muttered. He inhaled once more before letting himself sit back on his stool. “Alright, Jarvis, let’s switch tactics.”

Tactics, Sir?” The AI asked as Tony’s requested simulation ran on the display in front of the man. At least the simulation was running well, but would the potential upgrades actually work on the Mark IV Armor? These were some of the questions he had asked himself over and over. And to think he had actually gained a lot of inspiration from the events of last night. Sure, it might paint him in a horrible light, making him out to be a scheming jerk that was merely using Catmint for inspiration. But the thing was, meeting the woman and having her anticipate some of his motives and challenging him was really.... Fun.

If he were his old self, Tony wouldn’t have even bothered with trying to woo Catmint. He’d just flip her the bird and moved onto the pretty brunette that had smiled at him last night. But this was the newer, more consciously aware Tony. The Tony Stark who was no longer blind to what was going on with his own company and any underhanded dealings that were happening. He was Iron Man and to Tony, the world needed Iron Man. But first, he had to fix the damn icing problem that the previous Mark suit had and of course, this suit had to be better, stronger than the last one in case someone else decides to build another “Iron Monger” suit and threaten him with it.

“Uh, yeah,” Tony mumbled, rumpling his hair again. Of course, he couldn’t concentrate. His mind was wandering, traveling to the timid woman wandering about his house upstairs. Was it the damn kiss that caused this weird mixture of feelings growing inside of him. He could’ve sworn he felt this way about…

Sir, Mr. Stark, maybe you should check on your guest.” Jarvis’s voice cut through Tony’s musings, bringing the man back to attention.

“Right, you’re absolutely right, Jarvis. Keep running those simulations. Find the proper calculations for the propulsion system of the Mark IV and check in with me later. I’m gonna go fetch the stray cat.” The billionaire said this as he got up off the stool, making his way out of the lab.

Of course, sir. She should be in the living room.

“Thanks, Jar,” Tony replied.

Good luck, sir.