Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ Enter the Knuckle ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: The strange Medabot is not official, I made it up.

Summary: A Robattle with a Stranger may hold the key to Erika's dreams.

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 1: Enter the Knuckle

Ikki was no genius, but he knew there only certain people a top-ranked Medafighter like himself could trust. Once you got that big, most people only wanted a piece of the action. But the ones that had always been there, through good and bad, even when he was just a goofy kid with an old KBT type with an attitude problem. Those were the ones Ikki really trusted.

So, when the offers for interviews began to pour in, he'd gone straight to Erika. She was the only reporter Ikki trusted not to twist his words into something he didn't mean. And if he didn't do an interview soon, people would begin to make up their own rumors. The last thing he needed was Metabee making a scene over how Samantha had supposedly taught them everything they knew.

Erika had agreed at once, making Ikki promise she'd have the exclusive story. In return, he'd made her promise not to mention The Screws or Samantha in the interview at all. He'd heard Samantha was already working on a tell-all book of his life.

It had been Metabee's idea to do the interview at Erika's house. There, they'd be safe from prying eyes and Ikki's mother trying to show off his baby pictures.

* * * * *

Erika glanced down at her notepad. "What's the first thing that went through your mind after hearing you were ranked number three?"

Ikki closed his eyes. "I kept thinking somebody made a mistake. Like it wasn't really happening."

"That's what HE thought," Metabee interrupted. "I was thinking, number THREE?! We just beat Giganko, the biggest Medabot in history! That's a Metabee Bopping big enough for number ONE!"

"You know that didn't count, Metabee. We cheated."

"Oh, so saving the world is cheating now? What's playing fair, getting stomped by a foot the size of Tokyo?!"

Erika snickered. "Who do you consider your greatest inspirations to be?"

"Rokusho, no question about it," Metabee replied at once.

Ikki thought for a while. "I guess Koji and Space Medafighter X. I know they're my competition, but they gave me some of the toughest battles ever. Excluding Giganko and MegaEmperor, of course."

"Has your opinion of Space Medafighter X changed, now that you know him to be the infamous Phantom Renegade?" Erika asked.

"I think I respect him more now," Ikki answered. "He risked his life for us several times and taught me more about being a real Medafighter than I ever would've learned on my own. We couldn't have beaten Giganko's first form without him and Arcbeetle. Through it all, he never even stole a single medal, anyway."

"But if the chance to unmask him DOES come up, we're taking it!" Metabee added.

Erika checked her notes again. "Any special women in your life you'd like to mention, Ikki?"

Ikki turned bright red. "Um…my mom, of course. She believes I can do anything, and I'll do my best not to disappoint her. And Karin, who proved to me that you can have a gentle spirit and still be tough enough to keep the number two Medafighter in Japan on a leash."

"Ooooh, low blow!" Metabee chuckled.

Ikki was staring at his shoes now and obviously blushing. "Also…a certain reporter that's always been right behind me, supporting, worrying, and threatening me when I needed it."

"Let's not forget her shiny, shapely Medabot, either!" Metabee put in, winking at Brass.

Erika grinned slightly. "Any words for those who claim this is all one big lucky streak?"

Ikki shrugged. "I'll take it any way I can get it. I feel lucky, but in the end, I think it comes down to what Metabee and I can do as a team. If we can save the world, competing in the Robattle World Championships shouldn't be TOO hard."

"Hey, and for anybody that thinks we're a fluke, they can step up and KISS THEIR BOT GOODBYE!"

"Well, I think we're done here," Erika said. "Unless there's something else you guys want to add?"

"Nah, we'll save our words for Robattling," Metabee replied.

Ikki stretched his arms. "So what are up to today, Erika?"

Erika smiled. "Oh, I thought I'd go to Henry's and pump him for info on the Medafighter of the same name who supposedly won big at the Robattle Championships a ten years ago. For once, I'm glad Rintaro has a big mouth."

"Wouldn't it be WEIRD if that really was Henry, though?" Ikki asked.

"No weirder than him being the Phantom Renegade's brother," Brass murmured.

"Huh?" Metabee asked.

"Oh, nothing," Brass said quickly. "Now, what were you saying about a shiny, shapely Medabot…?"

* * * * *

"Miss Erika, this is the park," Brass said after a moment. "I thought we were going to Henry's?"

"That was a just a cover up for what we're really going to be doing. Ikki and Metabee can't know about our training, remember?"

"So…we have to lie to them?"

Erika shrugged and sat down on a bench. "It's not REALLY a lie, Brass. We did pass Henry's store on the way here…"

"I see. How will we be training, then?"

"Since your specialty is shooting, we should work on your aim first. Let's try-"

At that moment, there was a loud, sickly cough behind them.

Erika slowly turned to see an old man with a cane limping towards her. He was wearing a peculiar mask that looked like an exact replica of Metabee's head. "Brass…are you seeing this, too?"

"Yes, Miss Erika," Brass whispered, coming to stand beside her.

"Oh, good. Then maybe it's just mass hysteria…"

The old man stopped in front of them. "Excuse me, young lady," he said in a withering voice, "but are you a Medafighter?"

"Um…yes, sir…" Erika was doing her best not to laugh.

"Wonderful! You might be the one to make my final dream come true!"

Erika blinked. "Huh?"

"You see, my doctors have only given me a year to live. I've been searching the world for a pretty, young Medafighter to face in one last Robattle."

"He sounds like some kind of pervert," Brass whispered. "Should I attack?"

Erika shushed her. "So you're some kind of famous Medafighter?"

"Oh, certainly not. In fact, I'm quite sure you'll win. I just want to see my loyal Medabot, Eldersaur, Robattle one last time."

"ELDERSAUR?!" Erika and Brass asked.

The old man raised his Medawatch to his lips. "Transport Medabot."

The Medawatch beeped uncertainly for a few seconds, then whirred and went dead.

Erika and Brass sweatdropped.

The old man laughed nervously. "It's a bit old…" He tried again.

This time, there was a bright flash of light, and a hulking figure appeared.

It was ugly, green, and obviously five minutes from permanent system freeze. In a former life, it might've been a dinosaur, but now it was even a poor excuse for that.

"THAT'S Eldersaur?!" Erika's jaw dropped in sheer disbelief. Then she turned to Brass. "There is NO way we're turning THIS Robattle down!"

"But…Miss Erika…I feel sorry for them. They obviously can't win…"

"He's the one that wants to Robattle, and he knows he'll lose. I say we grant his last wish and put Eldersaur out of his misery!"

Brass looked uneasy, but nodded. "Well…if you say so."

"Then it's agreed!" shouted a familiar voice.

The old man's cane wobbled crazily in his hand, and then the top popped off, revealing Mr. Referee's head.

Erika sweatdropped. "How did you get in there?"

"Trust me, you don't want to know!" Mr. Referee slowly and painfully pulled himself out of the cane. "This is an official submission Robattle! The Masked Medafighter's Eldersaur versus Erika's Brass! Medafighters ready?"

The old man and Erika nodded.

"Medabots…Rooobattle!"

Eldersaur didn't look like he'd be moving very much, so Erika said, "Try some rapid fire, Brass!"

Brass took aim and fired, all of her shots connecting with Eldersaur's thick hide.

Eldersaur yawned and scratched himself.

Erika sweatdropped. "Um…maybe you have to get in close…?"

Brass sprang forward, firing again, but it was no good.

Eldersaur didn't seem to care or even know that he was in a Robattle, and closed his beady little eyes. Soon he was snoring loudly.

"Um…doesn't that count as ceased functioning?" Erika asked uncertainly.

Mr. Referee shook his head, but even he looked pretty stumped. "Eldersaur is still fully functional. Just…really, really sleepy…"

Erika sighed into her Medawatch. "Well…I don't think he's going to move, so…try and tip him over or something."

Brass got a running start and crashed into Eldersaur. The impact nearly put HER out of commission, but Eldersaur continued to sit there like a large, ugly green rock.

"I don't think we're going to win this one, Miss Erika," Brass sighed, clutching her damaged arm. "I'm sorry I let you down…"

At that moment, Eldersaur yawned…and fell backwards, hitting the ground with an earth-shaking thud. His medal popped out and landed in front of Brass.

"Function ceased!" Mr. Referee shouted half-heartedly, doing his best not to seem disappointed. "The winner is…Brass!"

Erika smirked and patted Brass's shoulder. "What was that about letting me down? We just won a Robattle…AND a Medapart!" The she paused. "Although I'm not sure I want anything of Eldersaur's…"

"His hide might be useful," Brass pointed out. "He has excellent defense."

The old man limped over, smiling broadly. "Thank you ever so much, ladies. Well, here's the Medapart I owe you." He tapped his Medawatch, but nothing happened.

"Oh, that's okay," Erika said quickly. "You don't have to-"

"No, I insist. You won fair and square." The old man frowned and began beating the Medawatch with his fist.

Brass sweatdropped. "Please don't go to any trouble, sir…"

Now the old man was banging the Medawatch against Eldersaur's head. "NO! TROUBLE! AT! ALL!"

Finally, the Medawatch beeped…and promptly exploded.

Eldersaur snorted, and something hit the ground with a thunk.

"THERE it is!" The old man bent down (his back creaking in protest) and awkwardly lifted up what appeared to be a green gauntlet. The most disturbing thing about it was that it looked exactly like Eldersaur's fist.

"What…is it?" Erika asked, already fearing the worst.

"The K.O.D.," the old man replied.

"You mean like the fish?"

"NO! Not COD! K.O.D.!"

"Ooookay," Erika said slowly. "What's it stand for?"

The old man brightened at once. "Why, I'm so glad you asked. It's the Knuckle…OF DOOM!!!"

Erika and Brass jumped, clearly startled. "Don't DO that!!!"

"It's part of the effect. Anyway, with this weapon, your Medabot will be unstoppable!"

"Like…Eldersaur?" Brass asked weakly.

"Oh, heavens, no. Nobody can be THAT good."

Erika sweatdropped. "Um…"

"As I was saying, the Knuckle…OF DOOM!!! has amazing powers! Why, I bet it could even stand up to…well…the Medaforce!"

Erika gaped at him. "Are you SURE?!"

"Well, no," he admitted.

She deflated at once. "Oh."

"But it's worth a try! There are three rules you must remember when using the K.O.D., though."

"Rules?" Erika asked, looking wary.

"First, you must never depend solely on the K.O.D. to win, or it will be useless. Focus instead on your Medabot's individual strengths, and the K.O.D. will call to you when it is needed."

"It TALKS?!"

"Of course not! But it'll KNOW when it's need, and then you'll KNOW."

Erika frowned. "Well, okay…"

"Second, you may only use the K.O.D. against worthy opponents. If you Robattle someone who has no chance against you, the K.O.D. will not respond at all."

"I guess that makes sense…" Erika murmured.

"Finally, and MOST importantly, you must treat the K.O.D. with the proper respect! It is a living thing, just like your Medabot, and demands to be treated as such! If you dishonor the K.O.D., it will choose another master!"

"Did YOU dishonor it?" Brass asked.

The old man laughed nervously. "Eh…well, I left it in the attic for a few years…but that's NOT the point! You must take care of it, as if it WERE your Medabot!"

"I think I understand," Erika said. "Only…if it's so great, how come I've never heard of it?"

"The K.O.D. is the only one of its kind. All its owners have kept its power secret, passing it on to more skilled Medafighters as they were each defeated. And now, my dear, I pass it on to you and your Brass." The old man held out the K.O.D. carefully.

Erika slowly accepted the weapon…and nearly broke both her arms as she fell under the weight. "AAAH!"

"Miss Erika!" Brass cried in alarm.

"GET IT OFF ME!!!" Erika screamed.

Brass tried to lift the gauntlet, but it was no use. "It's too heavy! You have to transport it!"

"Transport…owww…Medapart…"

The K.O.D. reappeared on Brass's right arm…and nearly sent her crashing into the bushes. "Are…you okay…Miss Erika?" she groaned, trying to ease the K.O.D. to the ground.

"I suppose it IS a bit heavy," the old man murmured.

Erika glared up at him. "As soon as I get feeling back in my arms, I'm going to STRANGLE you! FIRST, you seriously damage my Medabot, THEN you try to kill me with this ton-heavy glove, and NOW you're trying to say I'm WEAK?!"

"Calm down, my dear. As I recall, you TOLD your Medabot to charge my Eldersaur. In truth, the K.O.D. isn't meant to be handled by human hands. It's strictly for Medabots."

"But Brass can barely move it!" Erika protested, slowly and painfully sitting up.

"She's not used to the weight. Once you've trained extensively with it and are familiar with the K.O.D.'s abilities, I guarantee she won't even feel it."

"I can't…really feel…anything…now," Brass noted.

Erika checked her Medawatch. "I hope you're happy! That thing just froze up her arm!"

"Well, as I said, she must get used to the weight, and it was a tough Robattle. Anyway, I must be going…"

"Wait a minute!" Brass said. "Why are you wearing that KBT mask?"

"Um…I'm horrendously ugly."

"Really?" Erika asked, sounding very interested. She pulled out her camera. "How ugly?"

"Horribly. Spectacularly, even." The old man began to back away.

"I've GOT to have a picture of that!"

"No, you don't!" He tried to run.

"Get him, Brass!" Erika shouted.

Brass gave her Medafighter a blank look, and managed a good three steps before dropping the K.O.D. directly on the old man's left foot.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

"Sorry…" Brass truly looked it, too.

"The PAIN! HORRIBLE!"

Erika leaped forward and snatched off the KBT mask…only to find a red one resembling the Phantom Renegade's. "I don't believe it! YOU'RE in the Phantom Family, too!"

The old man suddenly didn't sound so old any longer. "ARE YOU CRAZY?! YOU CAN'T GO AROUND DROPPING HEAVY THINGS ON PEOPLE'S FEET! I'M GOING TO SUE--!" He trailed off, realizing his mistake, and sweatdropped. "Er…I mean, gracious, my dear! You should really be more careful…"

But Erika was giving him a suspicious glare now. "Who are you, really?"

He sighed. "If you must know, I'm…the Phantom Gentleman."

Erika and Brass sweatdropped. "What…?"

"I…I go around and do random acts of goodness. You know, volunteering at charities, doing clown tricks at birthday parties, rescuing cats from trees…"

"That sounds nice," Brass murmured faintly.

"Sure, it SOUNDS nice," Erika cut in. "But HE didn't a few seconds ago."

Phantom Gentleman scowled at her. "YOU weren't exactly breaking out in smiles a minute ago, either."

"That's what HAPPENS when people DROP HEAVY THINGS on you for NO GOOD REASON!" Erika countered.

Eldersaur suddenly rolled to his feet, looking surprisingly alert.

Brass sweatdropped.

Phantom Gentleman sighed. "Let's go, Eldersaur. Looks like both of us could use some patching up." He limped off, REALLY limping this time, instead of faking it. Eldersaur followed at a leisurely pace.

Erika looked exhausted. "Let's go home, Brass." She turned and started to walk off.

"Miss Erika!" Brass called weakly, motioning to the K.O.D.

"Oh. Sorry." Erika recalled the weapon into her Medawatch. "That thing's really going to be a pain."

"But if it's as strong as he claims, don't you think we should give it a try?"

"I don't know, Brass. A LOT about that guy was pretty fake."

"But I do need some training, and if I could learn to lift the K.O.D., I might be a bit stronger when we Robattle."

Erika considered that. "That's true…I guess we could try it. But tomorrow, after we've fixed you up. I think I'm going to be sore for a while…"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 2: Healing Hands

Erika & Brass get some unexpected help from Karin & Neutranurse, while Ikki notices something strange about Henry.