Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ Way of the Knuckle ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I dunno WHAT that thing in Shrimplips's mouth is, but I assume it's a pacifier/radio transmitter of some sort. And soon the story will take something of a dark turn. Nothing TOO bad, everything's still PG-13. But I am warning you!

Summary: Erika & Brass take on all comers in preparation for Koji's Tournament, while Karin recruits her Rinty-Poo to help lure Henry out of the Hopmart. Plus Rokusho!

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 4: Way of the Knuckle

"Good morning, Erika!" chirped a sweet voice.

Erika opened one bleary eye and sighed. "Karin, you can't keep DOING this."

"Wake up, sleepyhead! You've got training to do!"

Erika opened the other eye. "And how do you know that?"

"Well, how else will you be ready for Koji's Tournament next week?"

"Koji's…what?"

Neutranurse held up a flyer. "Everyone's going to be there!"

Erika snatched the flyer. "Why didn't I hear about this sooner?!"

"Koji just came up with the idea yesterday," Karin replied, sharing a knowing wink with Neutranurse.

Erika scratched her head. "It looks interesting enough…but there's no way I'm in the same league as Koji…"

"Oh, he's only hosting," Neutranurse assured her. "He specifically designed it for neighborhood kids."

"Ikki will be there…" Karin murmured, beaming. "Imagine the look on his face if a certain reporter beat everyone else in Koji's Tournament."

Erika thought about it. Ikki would probably never be able to lift his jaw again. "Okay, I'm in!"

"Great!" Karin gave her a big hug. "Now, you go train. I've got some things to take care of!"

* * * * *

Ikki hadn't really wanted to go. But it was the perfect chance to get a behind-the-scenes look at Koji's Tournament (he didn't care for the way everyone was capitalizing it), and Koji HAD invited him to come a few days early in the first place. He certainly didn't want Koji to think he was intimidated (Metabee had insisted on going after hearing THAT) or afraid.

And the stretch limo that Koji sent to get them hadn't hurt at all, either. Ikki & and Metabeee didn't really LIKE the way Koji was throwing his money around…but as long as he was throwing it at THEM, well, that was just fine and dandy.

"NOW I really feel like the number three Medabot in Japan," Metabee sighed, stretching out across the seat. "About time SOMEBODY started spoiling us, right, Ikki?"

"I could get used to it," Ikki replied through a mouthful of ice cream. "Pass the cherries, please."

A half hour later, the limo pulled up to Koji's school (one of the many acres of it, anyway).

There were at least ten Robattle rings spread out over the grass, from what Ikki could see. They seemed larger than regulation ones, too, but that would probably make the Robattles last longer.

"Whoa," Metabee said, clearly in awe. "Koji's going all out. You'd think he was number one or something."

"He probably is, in his mind," Ikki muttered.

"That's hardly fair, insulting someone when they're not there to defend their name," said a voice above them.

Ikki looked up in shock, spotting a familiar Medabot in the tree just in front of them. "Rokusho? What are you doing here?"

Rokusho leaped easily to the ground, his cloak flapping behind him. "I have reason to believe that something will happen in Koji's Tournament. Something…bad."

"Is it the Rubberobos again?!" Metabee asked, already looking pumped.

"More than likely," Rokusho replied. "We should all be on our guard."

"Looks like I'll get to do some Metabee-bopping after all!"

"I wouldn't be too sure about that, Metabee. If there's one thing the Rubberobo Gang is good at, it's acquiring powerful Medabots to Robattle with. If you have to approach them at all, you should do so with more caution."

"News flash, Rokusho! There's only two Medabots ranked higher than Ikki and me, and not for long!"

Rokusho's red eyes flashed. "I seem to recall having a victory over you myself. And we never had our rematch…"

"Then let's get Meda-busy!" Metabee cried at once.

"Save your strength, my friend," Rokusho advised. "You'd do well to remember how the Rubberobos take advantage of weakened Medabots. Espeically those with rare medals like your own."

"He's got a point, Metabee," Ikki added. "We need to be on top of our game for whatever's really going on in this tournament. Speaking of which, we should really find out if Koji's noticed anything strange lately."

"You mean like someone naming a tournament after him?"

Ikki rolled his eyes. "I'm pretty sure he had SOMETHING to do with that. Right, Rokusho?"

But when they turned around, Rokusho was already gone.

"Dude. We have GOT to start keeping a closer eye on that guy," Metabee muttered.

* * * * *

"Dr. Bok Choy! Textbook Punch!" the Student Council President shouted.

Erika grinned. She'd been expecting that. "Just let him make the first mistake, Brass!" she said into her Medawatch.

Brass had every intention of waiting for the punch, just liked they'd planned. But then, for some reason, she realized that Dr. Bok Choy probably didn't weigh very much.

Dr. Bok Choy's punch came in high, but it sailed right over Brass's head…and with good reason, since Brass had long since ducked.

Erika was about to order Brass to hit her opponent with an uppercut. But just as she began to say the words, there was a loud CRUNCH! She looked up to see that Brass was rising to her feet. Dr. Bok Choy was lying on his back, clearly out of commission.

"Function ceased!" Mr. Referee shouted. "The winner is…Brass!"

Erika blinked…and then gasped in surprise as she was mobbed by the crowd.

"That was great, Erika!"

"I've never seen a Medabot MOVE like that!"

"Can she lift ANY Medabot?!"

"Lift?" Erika murmured to herself.

"Yeah!" cried one of the spectators. "I've never seen a Sailor Multi type power slam another Medabot!"

"Power slam?!?!" Erika looked at Brass…who was staring at the K.O.D. as if it were a second head. "Brass doesn't know how to power slam…unless…it…"

"Hey! Robattle me next, Erika!"

"No, me!"

"I want a turn!"

Erika sweatdropped. "Well, at least we don't have to look very far for challengers…"

Just then, Erika spotted a familiar dust cloud in the distance, speeding towards them. Wisely, she got out of the way as it roared past, heading towards the Hopmart.


Brass watched the dust cloud. "Is that who I think it is?"

"Yup," Erika confirmed. "Looks like the Ikki's clone is back in town. But what's he up to? And why didn't he want to Robattle?!"

* * * * *

Karin smiled as the dust cloud skidded to a stop in front of the Hopmart. "There you are, Rinty-Poo!"

Rintaro emerged from the cloud, panting heavily. "Sorry I'm late, Karin! What's up?"

Karin beamed at him. "I just need you to put this on and walk past the store." She held up a pair of blue shorts.

Rintaro sweatdropped. "Those…kinda look like Ikki's, dudette."

"Oh, they are!" Karin replied sweetly.

"Well…how did you…?"

Karin just giggled and held out the shorts. "Go on!"

Somewhat reluctantly, Rintaro put on the shorts.

"Oh, and bring out Kantaroth! That'll work even better!"

"Uh…if you say so, Karin. Transport Medabot!"

Kantaroth appeared a moment later. "Yo," he rumbled in his deep voice.

Karin clapped her hands in glee. "This will work great!"

Kantaroth was a little disappointed that they weren't going to Robattle, but like his Medafighter, was very interested in pleasing Karin (or maybe Neutranurse).

They'd barely begun to approach the door when it exploded outward, bringing shards of glass and metal with it.

A masked figure with a red bandana around his head walked out, strapped with guns, knives, and ammo. He pointed twin machine guns at Rintaro. "Hey, yo. Dis one's for Adrian, ya see?"

Suddenly, a gray KBT type Medabot that was just as loaded as his Medafighter appeared as well. "Wrong movie, boss," he whispered.

"Who…are you, dudes?" Rintaro asked, trying to stall.

"Dis here's Warbot Apollo, and I'm…RAMBOCKY!!!" He hoisted his guns up. "Dis one's for you, Adrian!!!"

"RUN!!!" Rintaro shouted, grabbing Karin and zooming down the street.

"Yo, ADRIIIIIIIAN!!!" Rambocky shouted as he peppered the street with bullets.

Warbot Apollo sighed and sweatdropped.

"Bag 'em up, Kantaroth!" Rintaro yelled into his Medawatch.

Kantaroth charged, guns blazing. "Paper, plastic, or bodybag?!" he shouted.

"BEAT 'EM!" Rambocky ordered, pushing Warbot into the line of fire.

"No, boss! I'm strapped with--!"

There was a HUGE explosion, in which most of the Hopmart was destroyed.

Warbot emerged from the smoke, damaged and sooty black. "Like I was saying, YOU strapped me with a ton of explosives!!!"

"Guess I win," Kantaroth said slowly, before pointing his laser cannons at the two. "Surrender!"

"YOU'LL NEVER TAKE US ALIVE, CHARLIE!!!" Rambocky screamed. He pulled out a grenade.

"GET OUTTA THERE, DUDE!" Rintaro shouted.

"Way ahead of you!" Kantaroth was already running for cover.

"TAKE THIS, SCUMBAG!!!" Rambocky threw the grenade.

"DUDE! RUN!!!"

"He'll never make it!" Karin cried, hiding her face in her hands.

There was a second HUGE explosion (though not as big this time).

When the smoke cleared, Kantaroth was revealed, totally unharmed, thanks to Neutranurse's Waiting Room Wall. With a weary sigh, she fainted into Kantaroth's arms, exhausted.

Kantaroth flashed a victory sign. "Dude. The hero ALWAYS gets the girl."

"DUDE! YOU ROCK!" Rintaro slapped him on the back.

Karin pouted. "But he got away again!"

Indeed, Rambocky and Warbot Apollo were gone. But as far as Rintaro and Kantaroth were concerned, that was GOOD thing. Neither of them seemed to recall just then that the world-famous Phantom Medafighter (a.k.a. Henri, who was reportedly from the same town!) was the only other person for miles around with a KBT type Medabot…

* * * * *

"And THIS is where we'll be sitting," Koji said, gesturing to a raised platform. "I'll have the best seat, of course, it being MY Tournament and all…"

Ikki sighed and rolled his eyes. An excellent, unbiased tour guide Koji was definitely not. Especially when it was his stuff he got to show off. He almost envied Metabee, who'd spotted Arcbeetle and run off to compare Robattle records.

"So, still training with Space Medafighter X?" Ikki interrupted.

Koji's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Yes. What about it?"

"Don't you ever worry that he's holding you back? That he's not telling you everything he knows?"

Koji smirked. "I KNOW he is. If he told me everything, not only would he be a fool, I'd be BETTER than him. If you were training Erika, would you tell HER everything?"

Ikki paused to consider that. It had been a while since he'd seen Erika and Brass. Strange that they hadn't been following him around lately…but then, he hadn't really done anything newsworthy. That was probably it. They were off on another "big" story, no doubt.

"Well?" Koji asked.

"You've got a point. But Erika's too busy being a reporter, anyway."

Koji shrugged. "Too bad. If she took Robattling a little more seriously, Brass could be as good as Metabee."

"What's THAT supposed to mean?!" Ikki cried, whirling on him.

Koji frowned. "You heard me. It's not all about rare medals, you know. You think I got to be number two by depending on Sumilidon having a rare medal? Just because YOU got here on a mile-long lucky streak doesn't mean everyone else did. Some of us actually have to WORK at being the best. But then, maybe that's why I'm number two and you're not…"

"You just better be glad you're only hosting the tournament," Ikki growled. "Because if you weren't, me and Metabee would pound you two into the dirt! AGAIN! The score's two to one, pal!"

"For now," Koji replied before walking off.

Ikki glared at his back.

"Hey, Ikki! Check this out!"

Ikki turned to see Metabee and Arcbeetle doing…something. "Uh…what ARE you doing?" he asked, feeling a sweatdrop at the back of his head.

"Working on our Medaforce poses! What do you think of this one?"

"I think you've spent WAY too much time around Space Medafighter X's Medabot…"

* * * * *

Samurai's sword clanged loudly against the K.O.D. as he and Brass locked up again.

"You're pretty talented…for a whippersnapper," the elder Medabot grunted.

Brass blushed a bit. "Thank you, sir. You're quite good yourself."

"What's that shyness for, young lady? After all, I'm not Metabee…"

At this, Brass let out a giggle…and ducked as Samurai's sword sailed over her head. "Hey!"

Samurai chuckled. "Gotta learn to keep your guard up, young one. In Robattles and in life."

Brass drove the K.O.D. into ground, causing a mini-earthquake. When Samurai lost his balance, she leaped forward and bashed him in the chest, knocking him over. "You should take your own advice, elder," she said with a slight bow.

"Function ceased! The winner is…Brass!" Mr. Referee announced.

Brass was instantly hug-tackled by Erika.

"You're AMAZING, Brass!!! You've won every Robattle today, and you haven't even stopped for a break!"

Brass blushed. "I can't take all the credit, Erika. The K.O.D. has been…guiding me."

Erika gave her Medabot a funny look. "What do you mean?"

"Well, sometimes I can feel it…suggesting what to do next. Every time I think of a good move, it thinks of an even better one that does two or three times as much damage."

"You could never cause earthquakes before," Erika murmured. "I'd say it's definitely helping us." She laughed. "To think we got this from ELDERSAUR!"

"HEY!" Samurai shouted, getting up angrily. "I resent that!"

"Oh, not YOU," Erika sighed, sweatdropping. "Some weird Medabot that we Robattled the other day."

"YOU?! In an actual submission Robattle?! Don't make me laugh!"

Erika didn't turn towards the voice, already knowing who it belonged to. "If I wanted you to laugh, I'd point out Spike's Robattle record."

"Hey! She can't talk about me like that! Right, boss?"

"QUIET!" Samantha sneered at Erika's back. "We'll see how tough you are in Koji's Tournament…that is, assuming you even make it past the first round!"

Erika smirked. "Why don't you ask anyone here who's going to win?"

"Erika rocks!"

"Brass is da Medabot, baby!"

"ALL HAIL THE UNSTOPPABLE MIGHT OF THE K.O.D.!"

Everyone paused to stare at the Phantom Gentleman, who had suddenly appeared in their midst (thankfully, without his Medabot).

He chuckled and raised a fist uncertainly. "Uh…go, girls?"

"GO, GIRLS!" shouted the crowd.

Samantha ignored them. "Well, we'll see how long your fifteen minutes of fame last. My Peppercat's gonna pull the plug on your sorry Sailor Multi, and then you can interview me on how I ended your Robattling career."

Erika watched the Screws march away. "Brass, I don't care if we don't win the tournament. But we HAVE to beat HER!"

"Agreed," Brass said, her pink eyes glowing with rage.

* * * * *

"What do you mean, I can't leave?!" Ikki cried.

Koji crossed his arms and stuck out his chin defiantly. "All plans for my Tournament are top secret. I can't have you going around blabbing to everyone so they know what to expect."

Ikki glared at him. "I am NOT staying here until your stupid tournament!"

"Yes, you ARE. I have security guards all over the place with specific instructions not to let anyone in or out as of ten minutes ago. Even I can't go anywhere."

"This is kidnapping! My mom will call the police!"

Koji smirked. "Oh, I really don't think so."

Ikii turned to see a helicopter landing a few yards away. The first person that stepped out was, surprisingly, his mother.

"Hi, Ikki!" she called, waving.

Ikki sweatdropped as he waved back. "You kidnapped my mom, too?!"

Koji grinned. "No. I put her in charge of refreshments."

"Y'know, that's actually not a bad idea," Metabee said. "Remember how the Rubberobos went nuts over her soup?"

Ikki pouted. "I don't care if we ARE number three. We saved the WORLD! I deserve better treatment than this!"

"Talk to me when you're number two," Koji replied before walking off.

"This is SO unfair. What are we supposed to do until the tournament?!"

Metabee stared at his Medafighter. "Uh…Ikki? Did you NOT see the amusement park on the way in?"

* * * * *

Erika spread out all her newly-won Medaparts on the table. "We made a good haul today, Brass. Just think of the great Medaparts we'll bring home from Koji's Tournament!"

"My circuits are sparking with anticipation, Miss Erika."

Erika smiled. "And just wait until Metabee sees you trash Peppercat."

Brass blushed and was about to answer when… "Miss Erika! The K.O.D.! It's…glowing!"

"Is it…saying anything?" Erika asked.

Brass closed her eyes. "It can sense that the Tournament is approaching. It wants to fight."

"Anything else?"

When Brass opened her eyes, they were green-just like Metabee's. "You will be rescued by a tall, dark stranger."

"BRASS?!"

Brass blinked, the pink color returning to her eyes. "Did I say something just now?"

"Uh…yeah, but I have no idea what it means." Erika frowned. "Well, that was odd."

"Should I take it off?" Brass asked.

"I don't know, Brass. The K.O.D. hasn't steered us wrong yet. Maybe it's trying to warn us about the Tournament?"

"But why would we need to be rescued, Erika?"

"Who knows? But if we're gonna be in some kinda trouble, we should get back to training. Just in case."

* * * * *

Shrimplips carefully adjusted his pacifier. "Shrimplips to Sharkfin. Do you read me, Sharkfin?"

"I'm here," replied a dark and sinister voice on the other end.

"Good. Is everything going according to plan?"

"Yes. Koji's beefed up security, but he has no idea what we have in store for the winner of his little tournament."

"Excellent. And Rokusho?"

"He's been…dealt with."

"I like your style, Sharkfin. You're cruel and calculating…and a good actor, too."

"I owe it all to the little people."

"Uh…yeah, sure. What about Ikki and Space Medafighter X? We can't have ANY of the Top Three interfering!"

"It's all taken care of, Shrimplips. I'm not a baby, you know."

"I resent that remark!"

"No, you resemble it. I'll call you once I have the winner's medal. Sharkfin out."

Shrimplips chuckled evilly. "He reminds me of myself, when I was a new recruit of the Rubberobos. The Leader will be most pleased with his progress…"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 5: Bloody Knuckles (Betrayed!)

Who is the mysterious Sharkfin, and what does he have in store for the Tournament Winner? Can Erika & Brass defeat Samantha & Peppercat? And can they flush out a traitor before it's too late?