Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ Bloody Knuckles (Betrayed!) ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: Prepare for a twist. That is, unless you're cleverer than me (which is very possible, as I suck at mysteries) and already know or suspect who Sharkfin is (even more possible, since there aren't too many suspects). But I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised at least once. Anyway, enjoy!

Summary: Erika & Brass turn heads in Koji's Tournament, but there's a nasty shock in store for the winning Medafighter…

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 5: Bloody Knuckles (Betrayed!)

Koji stepped up the platform and calmed down the crowd. "Thank you, one and all, for coming out to what promises to be the single BEST Robattle competition this city has ever seen!"

"Which remains to be seen," Ikki muttered under his breath.

Koji ignored him. "Now, without further ado, let the games begi-"

"WAAAAAIT!" wailed a particularly annoying-and familiar-voice.

The crowd turned to see a pitiful excuse for a Medafighter stumble onto the grounds-loudly, and very obviously, ten minutes late.

It was Spike.

Koji frowned. "I'm sorry, but you can't participate. Anyone who doesn't think enough of Robattling to show up on time won't be in THIS competition."

"PLEASE!" Spike begged. "My alarm didn't go off! Right, Krosserdog?!"

"Actually, Boss," Krosserdog began, "you slept through it, and-"

"ENOUGH!" Koji shouted. "Get OUT!"

"Don't send us away! We'll do anything!!!"

"Even if I did let you in, who would want to Robattle you two?!"

"We would," said a voice from the crowd.

Spike turned, gaped, and gasped. "YOU!"

Brass looked somewhat cross. "My name is Brass, thank you. And I would be a little more respectful to someone who may be your last chance to enter this tournament."

Erika looked surprised for a moment, before nodding in agreement. "Sure, we'll Robattle them."

Koji looked insulted. "I'm STILL not giving them an official slot in the rankings."

Erika shrugged. "You want them gone, they'll be gone…after we beat them. And you don't have to give him a slot. He's one of the Screws, right?"

At this, Samantha ducked down, determined not to be recognized.

"So he can face us with Sloan and Totalizer. It won't make a difference to Brass and me."

Koji was mildly interested now. "A two on one Robattle? Are you sure, Erika?"

Erika sulked. "Don't insult my Medabot by implying she can't beat these two losers. And when she does, we move up two places in the standings. Is it a deal?"

A bit surprisingly, Koji nodded. "Fine. You'll Robattle first. IF you win, you move up two spots."

"WHEN we win," Erika corrected, patting Brass's shoulder confidently.

Ikki frowned. "What's Erika thinking, taking on two of the Screws at once?"

"I'd say she's thinking Brass can wipe the floor with them," Metabee replied.

"You think she can?" Ikki asked.

"Well, I'll say this. We've Robattled the best. Spike and Sloan are definitely NOT the best. But Brass better watch her back, anyway."

* * * * *

"Medafighters ready?"

Spike, Sloan, and Erika nodded.

"Medabots, Rooobattle!"

"Just do whatever you want, Brass," Erika said into her Medawatch. "Consider this match practice for the real Tournament."

Brass nodded and waited for the first attack.

Krosserdog and Totalizer fired together with a volley of bullets and lasers, respectively.

Brass merely raised the K.O.D., and all the shots bounced off it harmlessly.

Spike's jaw dropped. "How…how'd she do that?!"

Sloan growled. "Doesn't matter. Totalizer, charge her!"

"You, too, Krosserdog!" Spike added, unable to think of anything else.

Brass ran to meet the two Medabots, stretching out her arms just before she reached them.

There was a loud CLANG!, followed by the Screws' Medabots flying into the air from the impact, the victims of a perfect double clothesline.

Brass stopped and raised the K.O.D. into the air, drawing a bead on the two fading shapes instantly. Without even bothering to steady her aim, she fired off two shots. "Sailor Shot!"

There were twin explosions in midair, followed by Krosserdog and Totalizer slamming into the ground, clearly out of the competition.

"Function ceased!" Mr. Referee shouted. "The winner is…BRASS!"

A huge cheer went up as Brass and Erika high-fived.

Samantha was, not surprisingly, nowhere to be found.

"Wow," Ikki murmured. "That was pretty good."

"No kidding," Metabee agreed, sounding impressed and surprised at once.

Koji smirked. "Only the best in my Tournament."

* * * * *

The Tournament progressed quickly, and soon the qualifying round was over.

"Congratulations to all those who have made it this far," Koji said to the remaining Medafighters. "Welcome to the second round." Then he smirked. "Well, except for Erika & Brass, who are already in the third round, eagerly awaiting their next opponent. So, whoever wins their second round Robattle in the shortest amount of time will have the honor of challenging them. Now, let the second round Robattles begin!"

Koji showed Erika & Brass to the Honor Box (he'd named it himself) where the others were waiting.

"That was a great Robattle, Erika!" Karin cheered, giving her a hug.

Erika waved a hand dismissively. "That was just a warm-up for Brass. You wait until she gets serious."

"Well, it was still…something," Ikki disagreed, a strange look on his face. "I haven't seen you around much lately, Erika, but it looks like you've been training…"

"We have," Erika replied, not sure how to decipher the look. "Brass is a lot tougher than when you last saw her in action, Ikki."

"Dudette, you rocked!" Rintaro shouted excitedly. "Can I have your autograph?!"

"AFTER we win the Tournament, Rintaro," Erika promised with a smile. "Right, Brass?"

"Right!" Brass agreed at once.

"Confidence is good medicine," Space Medafighter X said in a know-it-all tone. "But only in healthy doses. Take too much and you'll get a tummy ache…in the form of an opponent who exposes your ego as a weaknesses."

Erika sweatdropped. "Um…we'll keep that in mind."

Metabee said nothing. He was seeing Brass in a whole new light…a light that didn't look half bad on her, when he thought about it.

Rokusho said nothing as well, but for an entirely different reason. He was staring at Brass's arm, and had a haunting feeling that he'd seen her new attachment somewhere before…

* * * * *

When the Tournament standings were posted after the second round, Erika & Brass were the first in line to see them. According to the roster, their opponent in the semi-finals was someone named Miranda…with an unknown Medabot.

"How does someone get an unknown Medabot?" Brass asked.

"The answer to that is usually a bad one," Erika replied. "But I can't shake the feeling that I know that name from somewhere. Do you recognize it, Brass?"

"No, Erika," Brass said. "But if no one in the Tournament has identified her Medabot yet, maybe it's a new one?"

"Probably. I don't think anyone could do so well with a homemade Medabot. And if they had the fastest time, we better watch ourselves with her, Brass. There's no way we're going down now."

"Especially when Samantha & Peppercat are still going strong," Brass added, nodding at the standings. "They had the second fastest time."

"They finally took second place at something." Erika grinned. "They better get used to it."

* * * * *

As it turned out, Erika & Brass DID know Miranda. At least, very briefly. She was one of the Ankle Biters that Erika had interviewed after they whooped up on Spike and his old Cyandog…a feeling that Erika could relate to, now.

Apparently, though, she'd separated from then and was Robattling solo, because her two pint-sized partners were nowhere to be found…and neither was her Medabot.

Miranda wasn't worried, though. In fact, she looked very confident, and with good reason.

Erika was confident as well, but wary. Spike had only managed to defeat Churleybear out of sheer, dumb luck. She wasn't going to count on that this time. Although she was a bit confused as to why no one had recognized Churleybear…

"Prepare to taste the titanic terror…of TeleTeddy!" Miranda cackled, pushing her Medawatch. "Transport Medabot!"

All at once, the sky grew dark, and thunder rumbled ominously.

In a blue flash of light, TeleTeddy appeared, his red eyes glowing menacingly.

Erika knew right away that this was one Medabot that had never appeared in the catalogue. She knew that book inside and out, and the only thing that came close was Churleybear….but this was clearly no Churleybear-at least, not anymore.

Where Churleybear had looked like a red, stuffed teddy bear, TeleTeddy looked like a black, rabid grizzly. The cannons that served as his arms had almost doubled in size, and his aim was probably better as well. Even worse, his legs, which had one been all but useless limbs, were now thick and muscular.

This would not be an easy win…but Erika was determined that it would BE a win all the same.

"Medabots…Rooobattle!"

"Teddy, Thrash Attack!" Miranda shouted.

With unbelievable speed, TeleTeddy suddenly appeared in front of Brass and sent her flying with his right paw.

Erika gasped. "That's impossible! Even Rokusho isn't that fast!!!"

"Tell HIM that!" Brass cried, ducking as TeleTeddy swung at her again.

"Just keep moving and try to pin him down!" Erika ordered. "He may be fast, but you're tougher, Brass!"

Brass leaped high into the air, quickly drawing a bead on TeleTeddy. But every shot either sailed wide or bounced off the bear completely.

Miranda laughed evilly. "You can't stop my Teddy; he's invincible! Blue!"

TeleTeddy fired his gravity beam at once.

Brass shuddered as she was encased in blue light, then hit the ground with a terrific crash.

TeleTeddy leaped on her and began to pound away with his heavy paws.

"Warning: Body 30% damaged! Head 45% damaged!" Erika's Medawatch beeped.

"You've gotta use the gravity against him, Brass! HURRY!"

Brass pointed the K.O.D. at the ground and fired.

TeleTeddy roared in surprise as Brass went sailing into him, sending them both to the ground hard.

"Red!" Miranda yelled.

TeleTeddy fired his anti-gravity beam, and Brass went soaring into the sky. She jerked unsteadily for a moment, then slammed into the ground before she was yanked right back into the air, only to repeat the process again and again.

"Brass, no!" Erika cried, beginning to think that this had been a mistake.

Miranda cackled again. "Time to take them down! Teddy, Bearific Body Slam!"

Brass froze in midair, and TeleTeddy roared as he leaped at her.

"NOOO!" Erika shrieked. "BRASS!!!"

The K.O.D. suddenly came to life and began to glow bright green.

TeleTeddy's tremendous bulk crashed into Brass just as she shoved the K.O.D. into his chest and fired.

The two Medabots hurtled toward the ground, even as Brass continued to fire and TeleTeddy grunted in at least mild discomfort from each shot

The very instant Brass hit the ground with TeleTeddy on top of her, his back bulged…and then was torn apart by a beam of angry green power.

Miranda's eyes grew wide. "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TEDDY?!" she screamed.

Brass weakly shoved TeleTeddy away and made it to one knee.

"Brass…" Erika whispered, not even registering the tears trickling down her face. Then she gasped. "LOOK OUT!"

Brass spun around, only to find that TeleTeddy was up again, and the huge hole in his chest was quickly resealing itself.

"He's got a regenerator!" Ikki shouted from the Honor Box.

Erika looked down at her Medawatch and froze. For some reason, the little power Brass had left was all being directed to the K.O.D. The rest was going to her legs, and would probably be enough for one final charge.

Miranda must've had the same idea, because TeleTeddy snorted and pawed the dirt, his eyes flashing.

"Finish them, Teddy! Both arms at once!"

TeleTeddy charged, both arms pulsing with red and blue light as he gradually brought them forward.

"Brass, you can't let those beams hit you!"

Brass charged as well, the K.O.D. glowing brightly as she wound up her arm for one last punch.

"FIRE!" Miranda ordered.

Just as TeleTeddy trained his arms on Brass, the K.O.D. slammed into them, shoving the cannons under his chin.

THOOM!

Brass was knocked back by the blast, but managed to remain standing by digging her heels into the ground.

When the smoke cleared, TeleTeddy was revealed as little more than a smoking wreck.

"Function ceased! The winner is…BRASS!"

Brass sank to her knees, clearly exhausted.

In the Honor Box, Rokusho watched the K.O.D. with narrowed eyes as the weapon flashed one last time, then faded back to forest green.

* * * * *

"That was some win, Erika," Ikki said, staring at her in awe.

Erika's cheeks reddened slightly under his gaze. "Well, Brass is some Medabot," she replied, patting Brass's arm affectionately. "Feeling any better, Brass?"

"Much better, thanks to Nuetranurse," Brass replied.

Karin beamed. "Anything for a friend!"

"I'd like to know where Miranda got that Medabot," Metabee said. "The only people who ever have unknown Metabots are the Rubberobos."

"You're being silly, Metabee," Erika disagreed. "Miranda's a little strange, but she's also a little kid. Everyone that gives us a challenge is not automatically with the Rubberobos. And remember, Dr. Aki told us that the Medabot Corporation licenses other companies to make Metabots. Maybe she got hers from one of them."

"Yeah. Rubberobo Incorporated," Metabeee muttered.

"Instead of focusing on an opponent you've already defeated, you should pay more attention to the one you will defeat. That is, if you still plan on winning this tournament," Space Medafighter X said.

"Samantha," Erika growled. "She's going down for insulting me and my Brass!"

"Any advice, Metabee?" Brass asked.

Metabee cleared his throat importantly. "If all else fails, you just give Peppercat a Metabee-bop…uh…I mean, a Brass-bopping!"

Brass giggled. "Will do!"

* * * * *

"Welcome to the finals of my glorious Tournament!" Koji shouted. "The winner of this Robattle will be crowned Tournament Champion, and receive a special prize from the man behind all Metabots, Dr. Aki!"

"Is that true?" Ikki whispered to Karin.

She nodded, smiling. "Uncle Aki donated a top secret project from his lab for the winner. It's supposed to be really cool!"

"What kind of prize?!" Metabee demanded.

Karin giggled. "Wait and see, silly!"

"But don't YOU know?" Ikki pressed.

"Of course not!" Kari replied. "It's top secret, remember?"

"Dude, they're starting!!" Rintaro shouted excitedly.

* * * * *

"Medafighters ready?" Mr. Referee asked.

"HOLD IT!" Samantha shouted.

"One Medafighter…not ready…?"

"I refuse to Robattle this…this…LOSER!"

"WHAT?!" Erika yelled.

"She's not even in my league! There's no way I'm going to waste my time on her when the top three Medafighters in Japan are sitting right there!" she growled, pointing to the Honor Box.

Erika trembled with rage as Samantha turned her back. "Why you….arrogant…"

"That's right! I'm not gonna Robattle this loser," Samantha continued, taking off her Medawatch, "but I never said anything about Peppercat…GO!"

Peppercat sprang at Brass, tagging her with a Lightning Jump as she passed overhead.

"CHEATER!" Erika screamed.

"Under Tournament rules, a Medabot must be ready to Robattle at all times," Mr. Referee stated. "This Robattle has begun!"

By then, Peppercat had hit Brass with two shock attacks.

"Warning! Legs and both arms immobilized!" Erika's Medawatch announced.

Samanta sneered. "I told you! You never stood a chance, Erika. Now all you can do is watch while Peppercat takes your stupid Sailor Multi down!"

Erika glared at her. "I don't care if your whole body is immobilized, Brass," she said into her Medawatch. "You're my Medabot and I believe in you. You can still skin this cat!"

"Erika…"

The K.O.D. began to glow bright green on Brass's right arm.

"Activating regeneration!" Erika's Medawatch beeped. "Right arm restored!"

Peppercat began her final charge, her paws crackling with electrical fire.

"Try a punch before she hits you, Brass!"

Brass cocked her right arm at once. The green light became almost blinding as she whispered, "Knuckle…of…"

Samantha's eyes widened.

Peppercat yowled and leaped.

"NOW!" Erika shouted.

Brass's arm rocketed forward. "DOOM!!!"

Peppercat barely had time to yowl in shock as the glowing green fist slammed into her chest, literally knocking the Queen medal right out of her.

"Function ceased!" Mr. Referee declared. "The winner and new Tournament Champion is…ERIKA'S BRASS!"

"We…we really did it," Erika whispered, breaking out into a smile. "BRASS! WE DID IT!" She ran forward to give her Medabot a big hug.

Brass turned toward her Medafighter, intending to do the same.

Just then, there was a horrible rending of metal and circuits.

Erika froze as a black, robotic hand burst from a startled Brass's chest. Even before it withdrew roughly, Erika could see a golden flash in between the black fingers.

The pink light faded from Brass's eyes, and she collapsed to the ground, revealing the KBT type Metabot who'd stolen her medal.

It was Kantaroth.

His eyes were crimson, and on his right hand, the very same that now held Brass's medal, was a thick, metal covering of the same color. Erika noticed at once that it was disturbingly similar to the K.O.D.

"I have the winner's medal!" Kantaroth laughed evilly, hoisting Brass's medal up like a prize.

"NOOO!"

Erika was shocked to realize that it wasn't her voice.

Metabee & Rokusho leaped out of the Honor Box as one, their eyes blazing with fury.

Surprisingly, Kantaroth didn't try to run. He simply stood there, waiting for them.

Despite Rokusho's legendary speed, Metabee was the first to attack. "MISSILE LAUNCH!!!"

But, there turned out to be a reason for Rokusho's lack of speed. Just before Metabee's missiles fired, he turned slightly…and viciously struck Metabee's head with his Chanbara Sword.

The missiles backfired, ceasing Metabee's functions at once.

Erika watched in horror as Rokusho, a Medabot they had all come to trust, kneeled and began to pry the K.O.D. off Brass's arm. And from the way that Kantaroth was chuckling, it was painfully obvious that they were working together.

"STOP!" an unfamiliar voice shouted.

A black shape fell out of the sky, knocking Rokusho away with a fierce kick as it landed.

Erika was expecting the Phantom Renegade…or maybe Space Medafighter X, who was no longer in the Honor Box.

But the black shape was a Medabot, and an extremely powerful one at that. The pumped up Belzelga roared in rage and charged, swatting Rokusho down as if he were (no pun intended here) a bug.

Kantaroth backed up, clearly not expecting this. His eyes flashed dangerously.

The Belzelga finally noticed him, and with another battle cry, leaped at him.

Just then, TeleTeddy appeared briefly between them, before all three rogue Medabots vanished, leaving Belzelga crouching almost protectively over Brass's broken body.

Erika was the first to shake off the disbelief. She ran forward and cradled Brass's head in her lap, tears spilling down her face.

Ikki slowly walked up to her, unable to say anything at the moment. Finally, he sank to the ground and wrapped his arms around his best friend, letting her cry on his shoulder.

There was a longer pause before Karin & Nuetranurse ran over. Karin headed straight for Brass, but Ikki gestured to Metabee.

"But…Ikki, Brass needs-"

"Brass needs her medal," Ikki said firmly. "Metabee still has his. Heal him so we can go after those traitors."

Karin stared at him, shocked by his tone, then nodded and helped Nuetranurse pull Metabee to a sitting position.

"You're not going alone," said a kindly female voice.

Ikki looked up to see Ms. Caviar smiling down at him. "What are you doing here?" he asked suspiciously.

"Dr. Aki couldn't make it, so I flew over to deliver his top secret prize…which is really mine, when you think about it, but that doesn't matter now. What does matter is that this customized Belzelga should be more than a match for those two."

"Customized? You mean…HE'S the prize?!"

Ms. Caviar beamed. "Yes! Special, Extra Limited Tournament Edition. And, because you won the Tournament, he's yours, Erika."

Erika sniffled. "I-I don't want another Medabot!"

"I'm not trying to replace Brass, dear," Ms. Caviar said gently. "I'm trying to help you get her back. You'll need another Medabot until then. Ikki doesn't have the time to learn to control two Medabots at once. And as a reporter who deals almost exclusively with Medabots, you no doubt know the properties of many medals…including the Devil medal."

Erika realized that this was true. Even though she'd had to break into a secure server within the Medabot Corporation to get the information, but that was another matter entirely. News was news. Slowly, she accepted the black Medawatch that Ms. Caviar gave her.

Metabee jumped up a moment later, fully operational and still fuming.

Erika slowly stood up with Ikki's help.

The Belzelga looked at her expectantly.

"Karin…look after Brass's body, okay?"

Karin nodded. "You can count on me, Erika. Be careful."

Koji stepped forward, looking solemn. "Good luck. I'll stay with Karin…in case they come back for the Knuckle of Doom."

"Thanks, Koji." Erika turned to her new Belzelga. "Let's go get Brass's medal…Brutal."

The Belzelga bashed its fists together, clearly pleased with its new name.

"Together," Ikki added.

Erika smiled at him. "Right."

"Right NOW," Metabee insisted.

* * * * *

Rintaro smiled cruelly as he held Brass's medal up to the light. "Dudes, we ROCK!"

"So what's next, big brother?" Miranda asked eagerly.

"Next, we take this medal to the boss to see if it's of any use to him. If not…maybe you can keep it."

"They'll come after us," Rokusho warned. "Metabee will take this personally."

"Then we'll just have to take him down, baby," Kantaroth laughed.

"Only if TeleTeddy gets to fight this time!" Miranda whined.

TeleTeddy growled in agreement.

"Sure, sis," Rintaro said. "Teddy can have all the fun he wants. We don't have to follow the rules anymore." He tapped his Medwatach. "Sharkfin reporting in. We have the medal."

"Good work, Sharkfin," Shrimplips replied. "I knew you'd do it."

Rintaro smirked. "No problem, dude. The Evil Dudes always come through…"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 6: Fist of Chaos

The Evil Dudes challenge Erika & Ikki to a REAL submission Robattle…with their medals on the line! Too bad they're short a Medafighter…or are they? And why have Rintaro and Miranda gone bad? (or badder in Miranda's case) What about Rokusho?? And what's that doohickey on Kantaroth's hand???