Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ The Chaos Crunch ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: So there's no confusion, Spirit's Medafighter was known as the Phantom Medafighter (not to be confused with the Phantom Renegade). There is a connection between all of them, but I'll get to it later.

Also, this storyline will NOT follow the anime, as I found the ending…odd, to say the least…

Other Stuff: Rollerman looks like a yellow knight on wheels, has a Knight medal, and great defense. They're in Medabots: Metabee Version. I'll try to stick to bots in the anime to avoid confusion, though.

As far as I know, Metabee doesn't have a Medaforce attack called Multi-Shot. But he should.

Summary: The Evil Dudes expose Sumilidon's weaknesses. Metabee runs into some old friends…who turn out to be future opponents. Koji makes a difficult choice.

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 9: The Chaos Crunch

"Spirit! Could I have a moment of your time, please?" the reporter called.

Spirit paused, then glanced at his teammates.

"Go on," Koji encouraged. "They want you, not us."

"See you in the ring," Sumilidon echoed, briefly touching fists with the gray KBT.

Space Medafighter X only nodded before continuing to the ring.

The reporter got right down to business. "It's great to see you in action again, Spirit. But everyone's dying to know: where is your Medafighter, the Phantom Medafighter?"

"Away," Spirit said simply.

The reporter sweatdropped. "What do you think your chances are, Robattling without him?"

"Spirit…will win…when Spirit needs to."

"What was it that made you join The Champions?"

"…destiny…and Rokusho."

"Then you do plan to revive your rivalry with him from ten years ago?"

"Will do…what must be done."

"Is it mere coincidence that Rokusho's Medafighter, Dr. Hushi, is also missing in action?"

"…no comment."

"Do you care to comment on Specter & Hikaru Rigata, the KBT & Medafighter who allegedly began the Ten Days of Darkness?"

Spirit slowly raised his revolver. "…interview over…"

The reporter backed off, and Spirit headed to the ring, his head lowered either in thought or regret.

* * * * *

"In the Red Corner! First, with TeleTeddy, Miranda! Next, Team Leaders Rintaro & Kantaroth! Last but not least, another Robattle veteran making his return, the legendary Rokusho! Together, they are the E-Dudes!"

"Funny how they forgot the -vil part," Ikki muttered.

"Well, they can't just tell everyone," Erika reasoned. "But I almost wish they were stupid enough to…"

"Kinda hard to believe they're Rubberobos, then," Metabee noted.

Rintaro confidently led his team to the ring, being sure to make eye contact with Ikki & Erika before looking away.

"And now the Blue Corner! First, Koji & Sumilidon, THE NUMBER TWO RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN! Next are Team Leaders Space Medafighter X & Arcbeetle, THE NUMBER ONE RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN! Finally, the famous Spirit! Together, they are The Champions!"

* * * * *

As soon as the match started, TeleTeddy vanished from sight.

There was no time to focus on that, though, because Kantaroth & Rokusho were already running. Rokusho veered off and headed straight for Spirit, which left Kantaroth to deal with Arcbeetle and Sumilidon…or so it seemed.

Koji saw his opportunity to prove his worth and took it. "Sumilidon! Shadowsword!"

Sumilidon sprang at Kantaroth, but inches away, his body froze in midair, stopped by an unseen force.

Rintaro grinned. "Make `em dance, Kantaroth!"

Kantaroth forced Acrbeetle back with his repeaters, which left Sumilidon stranded in the center of the ring.

Rokusho & Spirit had locked hands, each trying to overpower the other. Neither was winning.

"It's time, dude!" Rintaro suddenly shouted. "Chaos Crunch!"

The Fist of Chaos, now glowing crimson, flew from Kantaroth's arm and latched onto Sumilidon's head, gradually applying more and more pressure.

"Sumilidon!" Koji cried in alarm. "You have to break free! You HAVE to!!!"

SMX knew that once Sumilidon was down, there was very little chance of a decisive win, much less a win at all. There were only seconds left to act. "Arcbeetle! Fireball Fanatic! GO!"

"Warning: Power Overload Imminent!" beeped his Medawatch.

Arcbeetle began to spin like a top, shooting fireballs in every direction until the ring was hidden by all the explosions and smoke.

But in the midst of the attack, Miranda's voice rang out: "Bear Bomb!"

Shortly, the ring actually DID explode, and Sumilidon cleared the smoke, soaring almost ten feet up before he crashed outside of the ring.

When the smoke cleared, only Kantaroth & Spirit were left standing. As soon as they both realized that, they spun around, fired, and hit the ground at the same time.

"All functions ceased!" Mr. Referee announced. "I declare this Robattle…a tie! 45 points to all Medabots!"

* * * * *

Erika found Koji in his locker room, looking paler than ever as Neutranurse healed Sumilidon.

"Koji, it wasn't your fault."

Koji glanced at her. "Dr. Aki told me that there might be times where parts didn't respond, but he never said anything about freezing."

"That was TeleTeddy," Erika explained. "I've studied the way he moves. I'm positive he can teleport, but I had no idea he could become invisible. He's what was holding Sumilidon back."

"You're just saying that."

"I am not. Brass picked it up on her scanner. That's why Sumilidon took the most damage. TeleTeddy was right behind him."

Koji couldn't deny that it made sense. "Today it was a tie. We got lucky. No, I got lucky. I refuse to win by luck anymore."

"I'm glad to hear you say that," Erika said. "Because if I have to fight you, I'll show no mercy."

Koji blinked in surprise.

"Don't look at me like that. I won't take the off chance that Sumilidon has a good day and wipes out Brass. When we fight, you better bring everything you have. I'm done taking it easy. Brass and I have worked too hard to let anyone beat us."

Slowly, Koji nodded. "I understand. Thank you, Erika."

"My offer still stands." With that, she took off her black Medawatch and slipped it into Koji's pocket. "You don't have to use it," she went on, silencing his protests. "Just…hang onto it for me for a while."

"I won't depend on another Medabot to win my battles."

Erika smirked. "Based on what I saw today, you better rethink that plan. You're here to keep your title, Koji. What chance do you have if you don't use every resource at your disposal? It's not smart, and it's not going to make Sumilidon perform any better. You remember that when you're sitting at home watching Brass and I Robattle in the WRCs."

Koji glared at her back as she left, then placed a trembling hand over his pocket.

* * * * *

"So what's this Samantha like?" Natalie asked as she polished Octoclam's head.

Ikki looked up. "In a word? Tough. Chances are her new backup's even tougher. There's no way she'd Robattle us with Spike & Sloan at this level."

"So it'll be a real workout?"

"Yeah. But only a workout. Erika & I have both beaten her before."

"You sound pretty confident, Ikki."

He shrugged. "I have faith in our team," he said simply.

Natalie's gaze went back to Octoclam. "You've known Erika for a long time, huh?"

"As long as I can remember. I think the first time I met her, she told me I was coming to her birthday party. And when I didn't, she came to my house and dragged me over."

Natalie giggled. "She sounds pretty tough herself."

"She is. And ever since she got the Knuckle of Doom, she's been even tougher. Almost a totally different person. Lately, I've been thinking that…" He trailed off.

"What?"

"That maybe she'll be the one to take my title."

Natalie's eyes widened. "Really? She's THAT good?"

Ikki nodded. "It's just…I don't know how I'd react if she did. I'd be proud of her, of course, but…I'd be mad, I guess. Metabee's been looking forward to going to the WRCs, and the thought of it being stripped away by Erika & Brass…it's hard to think about, really."

"Because she's your best friend?"

"Well, yeah."

Natalie thought for a moment. "Ikki, when this division is over…you and Erika should go into Tag Team together. I'll find another partner."

"Huh? But I thought you-"

Natalie shook her head. "I can tell you're really confused right now. You need to sort out your feelings for Erika. Figure out how much she means to you, and what you're willing to do to keep your title."

"How do I do that?"

"Ask her what her ultimate goal is. What her dream is. If she's changed as much as you say, it'll be different from what it's been in the past. Maybe this new goal is what's making her so determined."

"Maybe," Ikki murmured.

"Look, if you really want to know, ask yourself one thing. Even if Erika doesn't win, would winning the WRCs mean as much to you if she wasn't there to see it?"

* * * * *

"In the Red Corner! First, with Octoclam, maker of the world's most excellent octopus balls, Natalie! Followed by citywide champions Erika & Brass! Finally, Team Leaders Ikki & Metabee, the NUMBER THREE RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN!!! Together, they are Beetlemania!"

"And now, the Blue Corner! With Medabots Rollerman & Rollerman, the Medaknights! Followed by Team Leaders Samantha & Peppercat! Together, they are Team Regal!"

"Ready to lose, little Erika?!" Samantha shouted from across the ring.

"Don't listen," Ikki warned. "She's just trying to distract you."

Erika nodded stiffly. "So. Is there a plan this time?"

Ikki frowned. "I couldn't plan without knowing who her partners were. We're gonna have to wing it."

"No problem," Natalie said confidently. "Judging from the size of them, they're not very fast. So Peppercat should be the only one we need to slow down. Octoclam can handle that."

It had been quite a while since Ikki had seen a Rollerman in action, but he had a sinking feeling that Natalie was wrong.

* * * * *

"Medabots…Rooobattle!"

Team Regal spread out at once, with the two Rollermen hugging the edge of the ring and Peppercat racing straight down the middle.

Brass & Metabee went after the Rollermen, who instantly raised their thick shields as they were peppered with rapid fire.

"Nothing," Ikki muttered. "We have to take out the lead Medabot, then."

"Leave it to me!" Natalie said. "Octoclam, Ten Wind!"

Octoclam's body turned into a red cyclone as he headed straight for Peppercat.

Samantha grinned. "Nice try, Red. But not today."

The instant before Octoclam could connect, a Rollerman appeared and knocked him away its shield.

"What?!" Natalie cried. "But…how could it move so fast?!"

Samantha cackled. "Don't you know anything?! Rollermen may not be fast, but their first priority is protecting their allies! Which means I can do this!" She raised her Medawatch. "Peppercat, Lightning Rod!"

Peppercat leaped onto the shoulders of the Rollermen and raised her arms. Her body began to crackle with incredible electric power.

"That doesn't look good," Erika sighed. "Brass, prepare for heavy fire!"

"Be ready to move, Metabee!" Ikki called.

Without warning, three bolts of lightning flew straight at them.

Octoclam barely dove aside in time, but was nailed by a Rollerman before he could regain his balance. It all happened so fast that Natalie could only gasp as Octoclam hit the ground…outside of the ring.

The second bolt caught the side of Metabee's head and knocked him down.

Brass grunted as the final bolt hit the K.O.D. directly, but sighed in relief when there was no major damage.

Erika grinned. "Thanks for the power boost, Samantha!" she shouted.

Samantha growled. "It's three on two now! You're going down!"

Erika continued to grin…until she noticed the look on Ikki's face. "What's wrong?"

Ikki slowly looked up from his Medawatch. "Metabee's not damaged much, but…that hit fried his targeting systems. He can still shoot, but there's almost no chance of him hitting anything."

Erika's jaw dropped. "You're kidding!"

"I would NOT kid about this, Erika!!!"

There was no more time to debate, because the Rollermen were closing in.

Erika thought desperately as she ordered Brass out of the way. "Samantha said their top priority is protecting allies. So if we attack Peppercat, one will have to be there to guard her…that's IT!"

"What? What?!" Ikki cried.

"I may have a way around Metabee's firing blind. Gimme a sec!" Erika raised her Medawatch. "Brass, we need one of those quakes, and it's got to mess up the ring!"

"Got it!" Brass waited until a Rollerman was bearing down on her, then leaped up, pushing off its shoulders to gain even greater height. Time seemed to slow down as she brought the K.O.D. down with all her might.

The ring looked as if a bomb had been set off. Large chunks of it flew up and then crashed back down. By the time it had settled, the ring looked more like a rocky canyon.

"Ha! Let's see them roll through that!" Erika laughed.

"Did you forget something, Erika?" Samantha shouted. "Peppercat, go!"

"I didn't forget anything, but maybe you did, Samantha!" Erika turned to Ikki. "Have Metabee fire the Seeker Missiles, and don't worry about hitting Brass!"

Ikki hesitated for a second, and then gave Metabee the order.

Peppercat paused as the missiles launched, but continued towards Metabee when she noticed they were flying about aimlessly.

Erika grinned. "Brass! Scouter on!"

The missiles curved suddenly and homed in on Peppercat, who was still racing towards Metabee.

Samantha shook her head. "Haven't you figured it out yet? Nothing's gonna touch Peppercat!"

And she was right. A Rollerman instantly appeared in front of Peppercat, shield at the ready.

"Move it, Brass!" Erika called.

Brass ran forward and tagged the Rollerman, sending him spinning around and exposing his back to the missiles. She barely had time to dodge as the missiles slammed into Rollerman, which threw him forward, clipping Peppercat in the process.

"Watch it!" Samantha barked at her teammate.

Brass grabbed the fallen Rollerman with the K.O.D., straining only slightly as she lifted him over her head…and tossed him out of the ring.

"…where can I get one of those?!" Natalie asked.

Ikki shrugged, and was suddenly distracted by a bright green glow. "Metabee…?"

"I can't TAKE this!" Metabee growled. "Brass shouldn't have to Robattle them all by herself!"

"Metabee, you're glowing! It's the Medaforce! B-But…you can't aim!"

"Yes, he can!" Erika cried. "Brass, Scouter on!"

"Do it, Metabee!" Brass called.

"MEDAFORCE!!!"

The golden beam flew from Metabee's arms and split into two, each aimed for a remaining enemy Medabot.

"NOOO!!!" Samantha yelled as one beam caught Peppercat in the side.

The last Rollerman was nearly knocked over by the beam, but managed to remain upright.

Suddenly, the K.O.D. began to glow bright green as well, and when it faded, Brass was armed with a green Totalizer arm. Without any hesitation, she fired on Rollerman.

The laser hit Rollerman right between the eyes, and he collapsed to the ground.

Samantha was nearly tearing out her hair. "PEPPERCAT! TAKE! HER! DOWN!!!"

Peppercat leaped at Brass, preparing to execute her Lightning Jump.

Brass merely turned and fired up.

The laser knocked Peppercat off course, and she slammed into the ground, skidding a few feet on the upturned ground before coming to a permanent stop.

"Functions ceased!" Mr. Referee announced. "The winners are…Beetlemania! 105 points to each Medabot!"

"Great win, you guys!" Natalie cheered, pulling Ikki & Erika into a big hug. "I've never seen anything like that!"

"Told you we were unbeatable," Ikki said, winking at Erika.

Erika just shook her head and laughed as they left the ring with their Medabots.

"I better get Octoclam to Neutranurse & Karin," Natalie said quickly. "Ikki, I'll take Metabee & Brass, if you want. You guys should go relax and celebrate the victory; you deserve it."

If Ikki realized that Natalie was trying to leave he and Erika alone together, he didn't say anything.

"That's really nice of you, Natalie," Erika replied.

"No problem! Seeya!" Natalie called as she left with the three Medabots.

"Is it me, or was she trying to ditch us?" Erika asked.

"I'm sure she just wanted to give us some time alone," Ikki said honestly. Upon catching Erika's look, he quickly added, "To celebrate, of course. You hungry?"

Erika admitted that she was, and they decided to celebrate at a nearby pizza parlor.

* * * * *

"Are you sure we shouldn't have just waited back at the arena with Karin?" Brass asked.

"No way," Metabee disagreed as he marched up to the pizza parlor. "If Ikki thinks he can party without me, he's got another thing coming!"

"Well, it's not like we can eat pizza," Brass pointed out.

"Forget that! It's the principal of the thing, Brass!" Metabee yanked the door open and nearly collided with a Medabot that was just leaving. "Oh, sorry about that, buddy. I-"

"Metabee???"

Metabee's optics nearly bulged out of his head. "Oceana?!"

The Mermaid Metabot touched his shoulder. "It's so good to see you again, Metabee! I should've known you'd be in town for the championships. You are competing, aren't you?"

"Um…yeah," Metabee replied slowly, still in shock. "Brass and I just won today…"

"Brass?" Oceana peered past him. "Oh, of course! You're the one who let me borrow your body when I lost my medal! I can't thank you enough for-"

"It was no problem," Brass interrupted politely.

Just then, a young girl emerged from the pizza parlor. "There you are, Oceana. Did you-Metabee!"

"Hey, Hannah," Metabee said just before she hug-tackled him.

"I was hoping we'd see you! I've got some great news!" Hannah bubbled.

"Really? What?"

"I just got off the phone with our team captain, and he says you're our next opponents! Isn't that great?"

"…I guess?" Metabee replied, not quite sure he'd heard right.

"Don't worry, though!" Hannah said. "We'll always be grateful for what you did for us, but we won't let that get in the way of a good Robattle! I promise we'll do our best to beat you!"

"We…appreciate that," Brass added hesitantly, noticing Metabee's odd expression.

"Well, we gotta go. Have to train hard, y'know. See you tomorrow, Metabee!" Hannah called as she and Ocean walked away.

"Metabee?" Brass asked. "Are you going to be able to focus during the battle tomorrow? I know you and Oceana…are very close…"

"Um…what makes you ask that?" Metabee countered, looking a bit defensive.

Brass patted his arm. "If it bothers you that much, I'll deal with Oceana tomorrow."

Metabee looked slightly relieved. "Really?"

Brass nodded. "Certainly. That's what partners do. Right?"

Metabee chuckled. "Right. Y'know, Brass, I'm really glad Ikki decided to team up with you and Erika."

Brass considered that for a moment. "Metabee…if you had to Robattle me…would you hesitate the way you did with Oceana?"

Metabee seemed confused. "Why would I have to Robattle you, Brass? You just said we were partners."

"There aren't any partners in the singles division, Metabee," she reminded him.

"Oh. Yeah…" Metabee glanced away, then sighed. "Look, Brass. I've got your back, and you've got mine. If we should meet in a Robattle, well…" He trailed off uncertainly, and then nodded. "I won't hold back, and I don't expect you to, either."

Brass was a little surprised by his answer. "Do you mean that?"

"Yeah. Erika wouldn't like it if you held back against anyone. And there's no way either of us could accept the win if we both didn't try our hardest, right?"

She nodded. "Of course. But…you've seen what the K.O.D. can do…"

"And you've seen what the Medaforce can do," he countered smoothly. "And when it's over, we'll still be partners. Deal?" Metabee held out his hand.

"Deal!" Brass gripped his hand with the K.O.D.

Metabee winced noticeably. "Hey, Brass? We're not Robattling YET. You don't have to crush my hand…"

"Oops!" Brass jerked her hand back, looking embarrassed. "Sorry, Metabee…"

He laughed. "S'okay. C'mon, let's go drag our Medafighters outta there. They can't be having too much fun without us."

* * * * *

JNRC Standings!

Beetlemania: 210

S.O.S.: 210

E. Dudes: 195

Champs: 195

Continued in Chapter 9: Shake Hands with S.O.S.!

Can Beetlemania beat three old friends that have improved a LOT since their last Robattles with Metabee? Can the Champions squeeze another win out of Sumilidon, or will a trio of Rubberobo Medabots prove to be their downfall?