Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ The Iron Grip ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I originally planned for the following events to take place at the WRCs. But once I actually saw how the WRCs were set up (thank goodness for ABC Family!), I knew they'd be better suited to occur on a local (Japanese) stage. At this point, I don't even know if I'll even have the WRCs in the story anymore.

Warning: I SO made up the rules for the JNRCs, mostly because I don't like the way the WRCs are set up. There's more Robattles my way.

Summary: With his title on the line, Ikki makes a startling choice that could destroy his dream of competing in the World Robattle Championships.

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 8: The Iron Grip

Erika woke up in a surprisingly good mood. She wasn't necessarily happy about anything, but she couldn't shake the feeling that it was going to be a very good day all the same.

Her gaze went to the wall, where Brass stood, unmoving, in her usual Sleep Mode space. However, right beside her was a tough-looking Belzelga with quite a few dents and scratches in his armor. It was going to be a little odd, getting used to controlling two Medabots.

And then she remembered poor Koji & Sumilidon.

Erika's gaze went back to Brutal, and she began to think…

* * * * *

Koji awoke to the sound of some very relaxing humming. "Karin…" he murmured, his eyes drifting slowly open.

But Karin was not in the hospital room. There was, however, a tape recorder sitting right next to his pillow, playing Karin's melodious voice.

Koji sweatdropped, and suspected he would've face vaulted if he were feeling better.

It was quite a few minutes more (the tape was a bit distracting) before he noticed the odd teddy bear in a chair by the bed. Odd in that it provided little or no comfort when Koji looked at it. In fact, the only feelings such a bear might've inspired in anyone were intense fear and possibly madness from prolonged exposure.

And it was very familiar, for some reason…

Before he could make the connection, the door opened, and Karin entered, carrying a tray loaded with nutritious foods. "Good morning, Koji!" she practically sang. "Feeling any better?" She placed the tray gently in his lap.

"I suppose, but I wammMMMPH!" He was cut off as Karin stuffed a piece of honeydew in his mouth.

"You have to hurry and get your strength back," she advised in a motherly manner, already sifting through the fruit bowl again with a fork, before selecting a particularly juicy piece of cantaloupe and offering it to him.

Koji pointedly ignored the blush rising in his cheeks and ate, if for no other reason than to see Karin smile as she fed him. He was on his third piece of pineapple when the odd teddy bear shifted in its chair. Koji nearly choked on his pineapple.

"Are you okay?" Karin asked, instantly at his side to rub his back.

Koji nodded and forced the fruit down, gasping for air. "The…the BEAR…" he hissed, pointing excitedly.

"Oh, that! I don't know who it's from, but isn't it precious?" She went over and patted the bear's head.

Koji sweatdropped. Only Karin could look at a vicious grizzly and see a playful panda. "Karin…"

"Whoops! Sorry!" She picked up the fruit bowl and offered him another piece of honeydew.

"No, I just wammMMMPH!"

Karin stuffed the fruit in his mouth again. "If you were that hungry, you should've just said so, silly!"

Koji sighed, several sweatdrops rolling down his face as he chewed submissively, sending the bear wary glances every few seconds.

* * * * *

"Seeker Missiles!"

"Laserbeams!"

Metabee & Samurai fired their powerful attacks at once.

Arcbeetle easily dodged both.

"Your aim lacks skill," Space Medafighter X scolded. "Now let's test your defense. Arcbeetle!" he shouted, striking various poses. "It's time for the Pillar of Fire! The Power of the Sun!"

"The Prominence," Ikki and Sloan muttered in mocking tones, putting their Metabots on defense.

"Energizing!" Arcbeetle replied.

Metabee suddenly took on a green glow. "MEDAFORCE!!!"

To Ikki's amazement, Metabee didn't attack. Instead, the glow seemed to solidify around him, creating a kind of see-through green armor.

"Arcbeetle! Full power!"

"Riiight!" Arcbeetle's horns separated and fired the huge blast.

Metabee & Samurai were lost in the explosion.

When the smoke cleared, Samurai was fairly damaged, but Metabee was clearly ready to go on.

"Awesome!" Ikki cheered. "Metabee, you're incredible!"

"Tell me something I don't know, Ikkster," Metabee replied, the glow fading.

"Your control over your rare medal is inspiring," SMX said. "I commend you."

"Well, when you got it…" Metabee chuckled.

"Now! Again!"

Metabee sighed. "Aw, man…"

* * * * *

"Teddy's in place," Miranda said, grinning at the image of Karin feeding Koji on her Medawatch.

"Good work, sis," Rintaro chuckled. "Keep an eye on him. I want to make sure he doesn't think about missing the National Championships."

"He'll be there," Rokusho added. "And so will Spirit. They're both too stubborn not to."

"Too bad they're all goin' down, baby," Kantaroth chimed in.

"Your confidence will be your downfall," Rokusho muttered. "We can't afford to underestimate any of them at this stage. Especially not Spirit…"

* * * * *

Koji woke up to see someone in pink leaning over him. "Karin, is that you?"

"Not exactly."

He blinked. "Erika? What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to say I'm sorry. If it wasn't for me, Rokusho wouldn't have attacked you."

"No. I volunteered to look after the Knuckle. It was my choice to accept…my duty."

Erika frowned. "Your…duty?"

"The instant you signed up for my Tournament, you placed yourself and your Medabot under my protection. But I failed you, and worst of all, I failed Brass. This was the only thing I could do to make up for it. And I've failed you again…"

"You didn't. I still have Brass and the Knuckle. But you lost your best friend…"

Koji's eyes widened. "…Sumilidon?" he asked in a small voice.

"And now your number two spot is in danger. I don't know how long it'll take Dr. Aki to repair Sumilidon…or if he'll ever be the same as he was…so I want you to use Brutal for the Nationals." She held out her black Medawatch.

Koji stared at the Medawatch. "You…you'd give me Brutal?"

"Yes. I was planning to use Brass, anyway. Brutal's a loyal friend, but Brass is my Medabot. I could never use another in the Nationals."

"And yet you expect me to?" Koji asked coldly.

"You don't have any other choice right now!" Erika cried. "You can't just give up your spot because you don't have Sumilidon!"

"Sumilidon's the one who got me that spot. Without him, there's no point."

"You're wrong," growled a sinister voice in his ear.

Erika & Koji both gasped to see TeleTeddy leering at them.

"If you give up now, we win," TeleTeddy snarled. "And when we win…you lose…everything. Your Medabots…your medals…your Robattle careers. It'll be even easier to beat you at the Championships…if you've already given up Sumilidon's medal…maybe…if you're lucky…we'll even beat you WITH it…"

"Sumilidon," Koji whispered, shuddering with rage.

"Seeya in the Robattle ring, champ." TeleTeddy vanished in a flash of red light.

"You have to fight, Koji. It doesn't matter what Medabot you use…but you HAVE to fight!" Erika insisted.

"I will," Koji said softly. "I will…"

* * * * *

"So what's the status on Sumilidon, Doc?" Metabee asked.

"I've done all I can," Dr. Aki replied. "The data transfer appears to be successful…but we won't know the extent of the faults until we actually see him Robattle. Unfortunately, with the Nationals just a day away, I doubt there will be sufficient time to test and work out all the bugs."

"Especially with Koji in the hospital," Ikki muttered.

"Wait a minute, Ikki! You're a Medafighter, and Sumilidon knows you! Why can't YOU test him out?"

Ikki blinked. "That…actually is a good idea, Metabee. But I wouldn't feel right unless Koji knew about it."

"Then we have to work quickly," Dr. Aki said. "The damage done to Sumilidon's body was too extensive, so I had to replace all his parts. Luckily, his Tin Pet was easier to patch up."

* * * * *

At first, Koji had been outraged at the thought of anyone else controlling Sumilidon. But Dr. Aki had calmly explained that if he were to stand any chance Robattling against high-level contenders, Sumilidon would have to be put through his paces before the Nationals. If it had been anyone but Ikki (although he would've preferred SMX), Koji probably wouldn't have agreed.

His spirits had been lifted a little when Erika told him that SMX had stopped by the night before. But Koji didn't expect him to come back. More than likely, he was busy training for the Nationals, like Ikki was. He mentioned this to Erika, who he thought should be training instead of watching over him.

But Erika had only smiled. "Koji, if Brass and I weren't ready for the Nationals, our names never would've made the list. We'll be fine."

"Do you really think Brass would stand a chance against someone like, say, Metabee?" Koji asked.

"I really don't know yet," Erika admitted. "But if we still haven't faced Ikki when the Nationals end, I'm going to challenge him to an unofficial Robattle."

"Why unofficial?" Koji asked, clearly surprised.

"I don't want any of Ikki's parts, and I'd hope he wouldn't take mine. I just want it to be a Robattle between friends. To prove something to Brass and me. No pressure."

"So…what happens if you lose?"

Erika shrugged. "We go back to training. I think Brutal would be more than a match for Brass. I want them to get used to each other's styles, just in case a team battle ever comes up."

"And if you win?"

Erika grinned. "Then we rub it in their faces until they can beat us, I guess."

* * * * *

When the smoke cleared, both Medabots were still standing.

"What…incredible power," Space Medafighter X murmured. "Even better…than before…"

Spirit lowered his revolver slowly. "Done?"

"Yes," SMX replied aloud. "Arcbeetle, power down."

Arcbeetle sank to the ground, clearly exhausted.

"Tell me, my friend. What is it you hope to gain by defeating Rokusho?"

"Rokusho…lost," Spirit said. "Defeat…will find him. And…Spirit must be best…again."

"I don't think you have to worry about that," SMX chuckled.

"No," Spirit replied absently, staring closely at his mask.

SMX sweatdropped. "Uh…why are you…staring…?"

"Not him," Spirit said, turning away. "Not my Medafighter." Then he glanced over his shoulder. "But almost…" And then he was gone, fleeing into the night.

"He knows?" Arcbeetle asked hesitantly.

SMX nodded. "He won't tell. We can trust him. Now, let's go, Arcbeetle. There is much to be done."

* * * * *

Erika had told herself several times that she was not nervous. She was almost certain that she wasn't lying.

She had, of course, thought herself mad when she'd turned down the ride in Karin's limo with Koji. There was no need not to ride to the Nationals in style.

And then, roughly five minutes later, Ikki had called to regretfully inform her that he'd done the same. But only because his mother had insisted on driving her "little champion" herself.

Before she'd known what she was saying, Erika had mentioned that she needed a ride as well.

And before Ikki could reply, Mrs. Tenryou had picked up on the extension. "Well, of COURSE you can ride with us, dear! I'll even make some snacks so we won't get hungry!"

Erika found herself smiling. "Thanks, Mrs. T; you're the best."

Ikki's mother had hung up then, probably to get started on the snacks right away.

There had been a moment of silence, before Ikki finally said, "Erika?"

"Yes, Ikki?" Erika suddenly found herself wanting to tell him about her plans to challenge him after the Nationals.

"Nothing," he'd replied after a moment. "See you tomorrow."

* * * * *

For some reason, Ikki felt uneasy the moment Erika sat down next to him. Even one of his mother's homemade cookies hadn't helped, which was a real shocker.

Metabee apparently didn't feel the same way, because he hadn't stopped talking to Brass about the competition they'd be facing.

Erika didn't say anything, either, although she did occasionally smile at her Medabot, but only when Brass wasn't looking.

The silence had continued all the way to the ready room assigned for Ikki & Metabee. There was a good chance Erika had her own somewhere, but she didn't feel like going to it, and Ikki gave no sign that he wanted her to leave.

A few minutes later, Koji & Karin walked in. Koji still looked a little pale, but was otherwise fine. He was still a little worried about Sumilidon, though. He explained how Dr. Aki had strongly urged him to equip Sumilidon with more than just his usual parts, since he would need an edge while adjusting to his new medal. Koji had grudgingly gone with an Anti-Gravity Arm, but insisted on keeping the Shadow Sword.

And then Sloan burst in with a long package tucked under his arm. He shoved it into a startled Koji's arms.

The gift turned out to be a brand-new Medapart: a Rokusho arm.

A LEFT Rokusho arm, complete with a Chanbara Sword.

Koji couldn't believe his eyes. "Sloan…where did you GET this?!"

"You'd be…surprised…what you can find…when you look," Sloan panted.

"I didn't even know they made the swords for the other arm," Koji whispered.

"Well, getting it wasn't easy," Sloan replied, catching his breath. "So be sure you win."

"Win? With this, Sumilidon will be unstoppable!"

"I'm glad you feel that way!" Mr. Referee said as he stuck his head in the door, startling everyone. "Because I declare that the Japan National Robattle Championships will have three divisions: Triple Team, Tag Team, and Solo!"

"Say what?" Ikki asked in shock.

"The rules are simple! Each Medafighter will be awarded points for each opponent he defeats! All division champions receive extra points! The three Medafighters with the highest grand totals will represent Japan in the World Robattle Championships!"

"You didn't know that?" Koji asked.

"I didn't even know there WERE any JNRCs until two days ago," Ikki admitted.

"The Nationals haven't been held in ten years!" Mr. Referee added as he left.

* * * * *

Erika had been surprised by Mr. Referee's rules, too. Fortunately, she'd brought Brutal's Medawatch, so if she couldn't come up with a final team member, there was always him. She didn't have any experience controlling two Medabots at once, but both Brass & Brutal had proven to be pretty much self-reliant when needed. Erika was planning on asking Karin to join her, but she never got the chance.

After upgrading Sumilidon, Koji had come back grinning. "Great news, Ikki! I ran into Space Medafighter X, and he says he'll join our team! No one will stand a chance against us! We're still going to the WRCs together!"

Erika had figured as much.

Ikki didn't say anything.

"Well? Aren't you excited?" Koji asked.

"I'm sorry, Koji," Ikki said quietly. "But I don't think I'll be on your team."

"…what? You're…kidding, right…?"

Ikki sighed. "I would, under normal circumstances. But Metabee & I are here to try and retain our title, and to do that, we have to be on a team that stands the best chances of winning."

"But…what other team could POSSIBLY win more than us?!"

"Well, if they'll have us," Ikki replied, looking up, "I'd rather join Erika & Brass."

There was total silence for a long moment.

"Mmm-hmm, that's RIGHT!" Metabee suddenly shouted, marching up to Koji. "So you can go back to Spacey Medawimp X and tell him to get ready for a serious Beetlemania-bopping!!!"

Koji gaped for a few seconds. Then he smiled slightly. "Have it your way, Ikki," he said as he left.

Erika, though, continued to stare at him in shock. "Ikki," she whispered at last, "why did you…?"

"Do you want the technical reason, or the real one?" Ikki asked, still avoiding her eyes.

"Both."

"Technically, Sumilidon's not what he used to be, and neither is Koji. Joining them would be risky."

"And the real reason?"

Ikki finally turned to look at her. "Because I know that nobody can beat us when we work together, Erika. It's why we've been best friends so long, and why we'll still be best friends when we're old and gray." He grinned and sweatdropped. "Anyway, Metabee's not sure if he can beat the Knuckle of Doom."

"WHAT?! I NEVER SAID THAT!" Metabee yelled.

"So we are going to team with them?" Brass asked as Metabee tried to strangle Ikki.

"Looks like it," Erika said. "But we still need one more person…"

The words were barely out of her mouth when the door burst open.

"IKKI!" cried the bespectacled redhead that ran in. "I knew I'd find you here!"

"Natalie?" Ikki said in shock. "What are you doing here?"

Instead of answering, Natalie shoved one of her octopus balls into his mouth. "I finally rediscovered the perfect recipe!"

Ikki's eyes widened as he chewed faster. "Yes! YES! THIS IS PERFECT!!! Erika, you gotta try these!!!"

Erika hesitantly took one, but didn't eat it right away. She remembered that Natalie had almost beaten Ikki in a Robattle the last time they'd met. "Natalie, how would you and Octoclam like to join our team?"

Natalie froze. "You mean…be on the same team as my darling Ikki?! We'd LOVE to!"

Ikki was just as surprised as Natalie. "Hey, yeah! That'd be…almost as good as THESE OCTOPUS BALLS!!!" He shoveled more into his mouth at a terrific speed.

Erika sweatdropped, then smiled. "Looks like Beetlemania has been born…"

"You don't mind the name, do you, Miss Natalie?" Brass asked.

Natalie blinked. "Hmm? Oh, no! But, I do have a little favor to ask…"

* * * * *

"Welcome to the Qualifying Round of the Triple Team Tournament!" Mr. Referee announced. "While these first matches are to determine who will participate in the Triple Team Division, points are still on the line! The winners advance, and the losers go home!"

Natalie gulped. "No pressure or anything."

"Don't worry. We're GOING to win," Ikki said confidently.

Erika smiled at him, but remained silent.

Mr. Referee continued. "Introducing first, in the Blue Corner! The Rockers, with Medabots Blackram, Blackram, and Team Leader Phoenix!"

The Rockers ran in to a gnarly guitar solo, nearly blasting Mr. Referee out of the ring.

Mr. Referee quickly regained his composure. "And now, the Red Corner! First, with Octoclam, maker of the world's most perfect octopus balls, Natalie! Next are citywide champions Erika & Brass! Last but not least are Team Leaders Ikki & Metabee, the NUMBER THREE RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN!!! Together, they are Beetlemania!"

"It's gonna be different this time, you little punk!" one of the Rockers shouted at Ikki.

"You just keep telling yourself that, buddy," Metabee laughed.

Mr. Referee cleared his throat. "Medafighters ready?"

"YEAH!"

"Medabots, Rooobattle!"

* * * * *

In terms of raw power, the Rockers probably had the advantage.

Of course, Ikki's strategy would keep any member of Beetlemania from taking too many hits.

Metabee & Brass would force the opposing Medabots to keep their distance, even though Octoclam was easily fast enough to dodge on his own. As to what he'd be doing in the meantime…well, that was another part of the strategy.

The Rockers began the match as Ikki expected them to: trying to pin down anything that moved with Bombarder missiles. Phoenix wisely hung back, as his armor couldn't take too many direct hits.

Not that they DID hit anything, as every member of Beetlemania (save Octoclam, who remained at the edge of the ring, motionless) evaded the missiles without much effort.

"This is crazy!!!" the leader of the Rockers shouted. "There's no way they can be that fast!"

Ikki only smirked. "Time for Phase 2! Beetles, move in!"

Metabee & Brass streaked forward as little more than twin blurs, peppering the Blackrams with their repeaters.

The Blackrams responded predictably, relying on their Bombarders again.

And while Metabee leaped back to avoid damage, in accordance with Ikki's plan, Brass did not.

Erika couldn't bear to watch as Brass was hidden from view by the numerous explosions. Still, her Medawatch confirmed that Ikki's plan had worked. "K.O.D. 100% charged, ready to transform and release!"

"Cover her, Metabee!" Ikki ordered.

"On it!" Metabee returned fire, even as the smoke began to clear.

"Transformation complete!" Erika's Medawatch reported.

Erika grinned. "Fire, Brass!"

Metabee dove to the ground as a huge fireball tore through the smoke and slammed into the Blackrams.

Brass stepped into the view, revealing that the K.O.D. was now a forest green Bombarder, and nearly twice the normal size of one.

"I'll take it from here, guys!" Natalie shouted. "Octoclam, go!"

Octoclam zipped forward, his torso spinning rapidly as Phoenix flew from the smoke and spat clouds of superheated flames.

"Ink Jets!" Natalie yelled.

High-pressured blobs of ink flew from Octoclam's head and splattered Phoenix's head, wreaking havoc on his targeting systems.

"Finish it! Bouncing Calamity!"

Looking more like a rubber ball than a Medabot, Octoclam launched himself into the air and crashed into Phoenix, scoring an instant knockout.

"Functions ceased!" Mr. Referee announced. "And the winners are…Beetlemania!!! 105 points awarded to each Medabot!"

"I told you, girls," Ikki said with a grin as they left the platform. "We're going all the way to the top!"

"I never doubted you for a second, Ikki!" Natalie replied, obviously smitten. "But where did you get the strategy?"

"It's called Power Leech, an advanced technique," Ikki answered, perhaps a bit haughtily. "One Metabot remains stationary and lends power to the other two, increasing their speed and attack. I found a book on Robattle formations in Dr. Aki's house. It's pretty old, but no one expects you to bring back the classics."

"There's one thing I don't get," Erika said. "How did you know what the K.O.D. was capable of?"

Ikki sweatdropped. "Oh, I think I hear my mom calling me…" He ran off with Natalie right behind him.

"That was odd," Brass murmured.

Metabee shook his head. "If you think that's odd, you should see the way he makes his bed."

* * * * *

"In the Blue Corner! With Medabots Megaphant, Megaphant, and yes, you guessed it, Megaphant, the Metamashers!"

Three burly men walked out, wearing muscle shirts and randomly striking bodybuilding poses as they headed to the platform.

"And now the Red Corner! First, Koji & Sumilidon, THE NUMBER TWO RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN! Next are Team Leaders Space Medafighter X & Arcbeetle, THE NUMBER ONE RANKED MEDAFIGHTING DUO IN JAPAN!"

The crowd roared in approval as Koji & SMX reached the platform with their Metabots.

"Finally, please join me in welcoming a true legend back to the Metadome! He last appeared in the World Robattle Championships ten years ago, and he's here today to reclaim his former glory! Ladies and gentleman, the one, the only, SPIRIT! Together, they are…THE CHAMPIONS!!!"

"WHAT?!" Metabee cried in shock as Spirit headed to the platform. "He's on THEIR team?!"

"When those guys replace somebody, they don't mess around," Erika said.

"Go, Spirit!" Karin cheered. "Go, Koji!"

Ikki sweatdropped. "Who's side are you on, Karin?"

"I want you all to win!" Karin replied brightly.

"What about ME?!" Erika demanded. "We can't ALL win!"

"Oh. Well…if they beat you, you can win the next division!"

Erika sighed. "Gee, thanks, Karin."

"No problem!"

* * * * *

"Medabots, Rooobattle!"

Spirit instantly leapt into action, charging across the ring and heading straight for the lead Megaphant.

The opposing Medafighter smirked. "He'll never get past my Shield Arm!"

Spirit drew back his right arm and thrust his hand forward, fingers extended. Much to the shock of everyone watching, his fingers punched through the shield as if it were paper, grabbed the Megaphant by the neck, and lifted it up over Spirit's head. From there, all it took was a toss to put the Megaphant out of commission.

The other two Medafighters quickly recovered from their shock and raced at Arcbeetle, who easily dodged their charges. Realizing he was much too fast to keep up with, they headed for Sumilidon.

"Not so fast!" SMX shouted. "Arcbeetle! Initiate power-up! Show them the Power of the Sun!"

Arcbeetle's servos began to hum as he gathered the power.

Already the Megaphants were moving out of the line of fire, but SMX didn't seem to care. "Fire the Prominence!"

Arcbeetle grunted and fired a huge beam of light…straight at Sumilidon.

Koji narrowed his eyes. "Sumilidon! Pharaoh Strike!"

Sumilidon raised his arms, then brought both blades down in a diagonal X-slash just as the Prominence hit.

There was a blinding flash of light, followed by a huge explosion.

When the smoke cleared, Sumilidon was revealed, kneeling and singed, but functional.

The remaining Megaphants had not fared so well. Each of them had caught half of the blast, but even that was enough to floor them.

"Functions ceased!" Mr. Referee announced. "And the winners are…The Champions!"

* * * * *

"I still don't get how they did it," Erika said. "How did Sumilidon deflect the Prominence so precisely that it hit the last two Megaphants?"

"It would've taken split-second timing," Ikki replied. "Not to mention a ton of skill…and some luck."

"They'll be tough to beat," Natalie murmured. "But we'll show them!"

"Right," Erika agreed with a smile. "Beetlemania's going all the way!"

"All the way DOWN, you mean!" shouted a familiar, sinister voice.

Erika turned and sighed. "What do YOU want, Samantha? Didn't I just beat you a couple of days ago?"

"That was then, this is now!" Samantha snapped. "I've got a new crew, and you get the honor of being eliminated by us in the first round tomorrow! See you losers later!" She laughed and walked out of the locker room.

* * * * *

"You're SURE you can handle Spirit, dude? We can't afford any mistakes!"

Rokusho brushed off Rintaro's concern. "If you're worried about Spirit's display of power out there, you shouldn't be surprised. He has a fully evolved metal. Luckily for you, so do I. Such powers are not unusual for Medabots like us."

"But you're SURE you can beat him?" Rintaro asked again.

"Of course," Rokusho answered. "When the time comes, I will crush Spirit. In the solo division. Alone. Until then, I'll handle him, should our paths cross."

Miranda ran into the locker room, a big grin on her face. "Great news, guys! I just found out who are opponents tomorrow are! We get to fight The Champions!"

"Excellent," Rokusho whispered, his eyes shining in anticipation.

* * * * *

Koji nearly collapsed once he reached the locker room. "I can't believe we pulled that off!"

"We did," SMX replied. "Sumilidon performed well today, Koji, despite his handicap."

"He doesn't have a handicap," Koji stated firmly.

"He's still not used to his body yet," SMX argued. "You know that. Don't be a fool."

"He's FINE!" Koji shouted. "You saw him today!"

"Yes," Spirit said suddenly. "Today. But maybe not tomorrow."

"Spirit doesn't speak much, but he's usually right. Koji, there are some Robattles where the slightest miscalculation could mean defeat for you. If Sumilidon malfunctions, I cannot guarantee I'll be there to help you. Spirit's motivation is to defeat Rokusho, and mine is to retain my title, if only to keep the Rubberobos out of the World Robattle Championships. Neither of us is willing to give those goals up just for you. I suggest you keep that in mind."

They left Koji alone in the team locker room, to think, and more importantly, to plan.

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 9: The Chaos Crunch

Beetlemania vs. Samantha & Co. - Can Samantha back up her boast, or will Erika (and Ikki) beat her again?

The Champions vs. The Evil Dudes - Will Sumilidon keep it together, or fall apart?

Tournament Point System

-40p - loss

15p - tie

20p - win

35p - decisive win

50p - defeat titleholder

100p - D. Champs

Note: A decisive win is generally one where all opponents have ceased functioning and the winner(s) is either untouched or barely scratched. This may change later, at the referee's discretion.

In Triple Team, EACH Medabot (not team, but Medabot ON the team) has a chance to get three times as many points as they would for beating a single opponent. So if Metabee, Brass, and Octoclam beat, say, the Screws in a decisive win, they'd each get 105 points (35 for each Screw). The same goes for Tag Team and ties, but with two times the points. Each of the Screws would only lose 40 points, though.

If Brass & Octoclam were to beat Arcbeetle & Sumilidon in Tag Team, each would get 100 points. Decisive wins don't matter over titleholders, you always get 50 points for beating one.

Division champions get an extra 100 points toward their grand totals. So if Beetlemania wins Triple Team, each Medabot on the team gets 100 points. The same goes for the other divisions.

If a team beat Beetlemania decisively in Triple Team, each Medabot would get 35 points for Brass, 35 for Octoclam, and 50 for Metabee.

One last rule: anyone with -50 or less is eliminated from that division, but may still participate in another division. Although they HAVE to win their next match, of course, to continue Robattling.

Last but not least, current point totals! Keep in mind that every Robattle won't be shown, only the ones significant to the storyline.

End of Qualifying Round

Beetlemania

Ikki/Metabee: 105 pts

Erika/Brass: 105 pts

Natalie/Octoclam: 105 pts

The Champions

SMX/Arcbeetle: 105 pts

Koji/Sumilidon: 105 pts

Spirit: 105 pts

Samantha & Co.

Samantha/Peppercat: 105 pts

All Others: 105 pts

The Evil Dudes

Rintaro/Kantaroth: 105 pts

Miranda/TeleTeddy: 105 pts

Rokusho: 105 pts

I know, that probably seemed pointless to you, but I'll be doing it at the end of every chapter, just to keep you posted of how things are going.