Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Brass and the Knuckle of Doom! ❯ The Hunter's Hand ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I know I haven't explained why Rokusho, Rintaro, and Sloan are acting the way they are, but I'll get to it, I promise. It's called suspense, people.

On the Medaforce: Each Medabot has TWO Medaforce colors. With Metabee, he's surrounded by a green glow, there's a golden glow around his feet, and he fires a golden beam. With Rokusho, he glows blue (I think), but throws a red beam. I'm assuming one color is defensive, while the other is offensive. Sorry for the confusion.

Warning: I'm gonna start messing with the whole Henry/Hikaru thing next chapter. Be afraid.

Summary: A Medabot sacrifices himself for the team. A warrior falls. Rokusho closes in on his prize…

Brass and the Knuckle…OF DOOM!

Chapter 7: The Hunter's Hand

Erika was torn. She'd had no luck at all finding Brass's medal, and her first instinct was to go back and find Brutal. By now, he'd met up with Ikki & Metabee. She knew Ikki well enough to know he'd Robattle better if he wasn't worrying about her. And when it came right down to it, Brass wouldn't consider her medal worth either of their lives.

There was no other option.

Luckily, Brutal's Medawatch was very advanced, and even had a built-in tracker. Within minutes, Erika had traced the signal to the room they started off in. From the sounds inside, there was an intense battle going on, and she wondered briefly who was winning. Pushing the thought from her head, she worked up her courage and slipped inside.

"Hit `em with everything you got, Metabee!" Ikki was shouting.

"Take THIS!" Metabee yelled. Twin missiles fired from his head and slammed into a huge army of KBTs, several of them being blown to bits.

"Sloan, cover us!"

"Do it, Samurai!" Sloan ordered.

To Erika's amazement, the Medabot that stepped in front of Metabee was not Totalizer. Not totally, anyway. The right arm and head were the same, but everything else was a Samurai part.

Four laserbeams flew from Samurai's right arm, taking out a line of KBTs, with bullets bouncing off his armor all the while.

Suddenly, Erika saw something black and blurry fly into the KBTs, tossing many of them aside like rag dolls. "Brutal?" she whispered.

There was a short pause, and then something growled, almost happily, "RIKAAA!!!"

More KBTs were sent flying, and then Brutal burst into view, virtually untouched from the battle (save for the tiny bits of KBT embedded in his fists). He ran straight up to Erika, waiting for instructions.

"Um…good work," Erika said slowly, sweatdropping. "Keep it up…?"

Brutal nodded rapidly and threw himself back at the opposing Medabots. Erika was glad to see that several of them looked afraid and tried to get out of the way. Not that it helped all that much.

By then, Ikki & Sloan had noticed her, thanks to Brutal's shout.

Ikki flashed her a thumb's up, then turned to his Medabot, "Okay, Metabee. Time to wrap this up!"

"I couldn't agree more!" A green light surrounded Metabee, and he chuckled confidently. "Dude. I rock."

"Power up, Samurai!" Sloan commanded.

Samurai grunted and thrust his sword into the air, sending all his power into it.

Something bright red caught Erika's attention, and she was shocked to find that it was coming from Brutal. He was glowing like a hot poker, and all the KBTs backed up, waiting to see what he'd do next.

"MEDAFORCE!!!" Metabee shouted, golden fire bursting from his revolvers.

"MASTER STRIKE!!!" Samurai yelled, lashing with his sword as a bright green energy wave flew from the blade.

The KBTs were enveloped in explosions, but when the smoke cleared, there were still about twenty left.

Then Brutal growled, "SHADOW FORCE!!!"

The room was plunged into immediate darkness, and when the light returned, all the KBTs were down.

Rintaro gaped from where he'd been standing. "NO WAY, DUDE!"

"Way," Metabee replied.

"Grrr…it's not over!" Rintaro raised his Medawatch. "B Squad, GO!"

"Oh yeah, baby!" Kantaroth chuckled as a long panel in the wall slid open, revealing an army of Belzelgas. "Beat that!"

Ikki paled. "This is too much. He'll just keep bringing more until they beat us!"

Erika felt a tug on her arm, and looked down to see Brutal standing there. "What is it?"

"Rika…go."

Erika's eyes widened. "What?! But we can't LEAVE you here, Brutal!"

"Rika….GO."

"You're nuts!" Metabee cried. "Even if it is you, how long do you think you'll last against the next group he's got hidden somewhere?! Or the next? Or the one after that?!"

"Everyone, listen to him! He's trying to save us!"

Erika froze and stared at Ikki's Medawatch. "Brass…?" she whispered, choking up.

"We have to go, Erika! We might not get another chance!"

Brutal pushed Erika toward the boys. "Go, Rika," he said one last time, before turning back to face the advancing army.

"He's right," Ikki said, grabbing Erika's hand and pulling her after him. "Let's move, Metabee!"

Sloan hurried after them, but Samurai paused and looked at Brutal. "You fight with honor. I can't help you…but maybe this can." He tossed his sword.

Brutal caught it, but when he looked again, Samurai had vanished.

Rintaro laughed. "You don't stand a chance, dude!"

"Right on, baby," Kantaroth agreed.

Brutal growled and raised the sword. "SHADOW STRIKE!"

Rintaro's eyes widened. "DUDE, RUN!" He leaped for the nearest door, with Kantaroth right behind him.

The sword came down, and the floor opened up beneath them. The Belzelgas and Brutal vanished into the darkness, falling to their doom.

* * * * *

Koji could not recall ever hating the Medaforce more.

Rokusho's new blue-tinted armor was invincible…for now.

With a smirk, he raised his Medawatch. "It's time, Sumilidon!"

Battle-wearied but still strong, Sumilidon vanished from sight.

Rokusho froze in mid-strike, then cried out as he was struck from behind. His blue armor faded from sight. "NO! What have you done to me?!

"Just took your Medaforce away, that's all," Koji replied. "Such is the power of the Shadow Sword!"

Rokusho turned, shocked to find that Sumilidon stood over him, his claws glowing with power…blue-tinted power. "THIEF! YOU STOLE MY MEDAFORCE!!!"

"You want it?" Sumilidon asked. "Take it!" He sank his claws into Rokusho's chest and tore it open, revealing complex circuitry and gyros.

Rokusho stumbled back, trying to cover his wound. "You'll pay for this!"

"Not likely." Koji's face darkened. "Sumilidon. TAKE HIM OUT!"

Sumilidon paused in disbelief at his Medafighter's order, then shoved his hand into Rokusho's chest.

"NO! YOU CAN"T!" Rokusho screamed.

"Do to him…what they did to Brass," Koji whispered, knowing he'd crossed a thin line. "Take his medal."

Sumilidon moved to obey…and began to scream in pain as something black sprang up his arm and surrounded his body, resembling lightning more than anything else.

"Sumilidon!" Koji cried in alarm.

Rokusho suddenly began to laugh evilly. "FOOL! NO ONE CAN TAKE MY MEDAL!"

Koji checked his Medawatch. All of Sumilidon's parts had been drained of their power.

After an endless moment, Sumilidon's legs gave out, and he sank to the floor before Rokusho.

Rokusho chuckled. "Now…let me show you, Sumilidon….HOW TO TAKE A MEDAL!"

Koji's voice died in his throat as Rokusho tore Sumilidon's hand from his chest, then turned it on its owner. There was a wrenching and ripping of metal, and then Rokusho hoisted up Sumildon's fist, which now held his Kuwagata medal.

Rokusho threw the arm to the ground and raised his foot. "Pathetic. Even Metabee was able to walk away from our Robattle. Or, at least, crawl." With that, he stamped on the fist.

"NO!" Koji wailed, throwing himself at Rokusho.

Rokusho backhanded him, sending Koji flying into the wall, where he slid to the ground. He turned, only to find that Karin and Neutranurse were gone. He looked to Brass's body…and gasped when he realized the Knuckle was missing. "No! NO!!!"

Rokusho leaped to the window. Sure enough, he spotted Karin's pink limo driving away from the main gate. Medabot. "Run all you want, girl. I will have what is mine. MEDAFORCE!!!"

A blue light surrounded his body, and within a few seconds, Rokusho was back in peak condition. He glanced at Sumilidon's broken body one last time, then leaped into the night.

* * * * *

The walk back through the underground tunnel had been quiet for the most part. It was starting to get to Erika, but she didn't dare speak. She was afraid that she might break down into tears at any moment over Brutal's bravery. He hadn't even known her a whole day, and yet he'd been willing to give everything for her. Brass would've done it, too, of course, as would Metabee. But that was different. Erika expected that from them. She KNEW them.

Ikki, seeming to sense Erika's discomfort, cleared his throat. "How DID you get into the Rubberobos' hideout, anyway, Sloan?"

Erika flashed him a brief, grateful smile.

"I could tell you," Sloan replied slowly, "but then I'd have to kill you."

"Does Samantha know about this?"

Sloan didn't answer, and Ikki decided to let it go.

"Anyway, I wanted to say thanks. We couldn't have held out that long without you."

Sloan shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not."

"We should call Karin & Koji," Metabee said suddenly. "To let them know we made it out okay."

Ikki paused, a bit surprised. He'd thought Metabee would suggest that Karin could start preparing their victory party. But then, it didn't seem right to celebrate. Not after what Brutal had done. "He's right."

Erika nodded and pulled out Koji's cell phone. Before she could dial, though, it began to ring.

Everyone looked up I mild surprise as Erika answered. "Hello?"

"E-Erika?" a voice asked nervously.

Erika frowned. "Is that you, Karin?"

"Yes! Are you all right?!"

"Yes, but-"

Karin cut her off. "What about Ikki & Metabee? And did you find Brass?"

Erika paused. There was something…odd about Karin's voice. "Yes, we're all okay."

"Oh, thank goodness!" Karin sighed in relief.

"Karin…what's wrong?" Erika asked as Ikki turned to look at her, worry in his eyes.

"Wrong? Why would anything be wrong?"

"You don't sound like…you. I know something's wrong!"

There was a slight pause. "I'm so SORRY!" Karin suddenly wailed. "If I'd known Rokusho would come after the Knuckle, I never would've gone to Koji's house!"

"Rokusho?!"

Metabee's head snapped up. "WHAT?!"

"Karin, tell me what happened right now!" Against her better judgment, Erika turned up the volume on the phone so everyone else could hear.

"Koji s-said we'd be safer at his house," Karin sniffled. "But then Rokusho came and he…Koji was so brave, he and Sumilidon held Rokusho off while Neutranurse and I got away with the Knuckle. But now Rokusho's back and I'm afraid he's done something terrible to Koji!"

"Koji," Ikki whispered, his eyes narrowing.

Metabee was shuddering with rage, but had not spoken again.

"Calm down, Karin," Erika said soothingly. "Tell me where you are right now."

"I'm going to Uncle Aki's lab," Karin answered. "I'm hoping he has something…or knows something that can stop Rokusho."

"Are you hurt?" Erika asked.

"No…Koji wouldn't let him near us…oh, Erika, I'm so worried!"

"Just focus on staying away from Rokusho. How are you getting to your uncle's lab?"

"My driver's taking us, but I've seen Rokusho since we left. Neutranurse says he's still following us."

"Listen to me very carefully, Karin," Erika whispered in a serious tone. "If he corners you, and there's no way out…just give him the Knuckle."

"Erika, NO!" Ikki cried, grabbing for the phone.

She pulled away from him. "It's not worth your life, Karin!"

"But…Koji promised he'd look after the Knuckle…and I promised I'd look after Brass's body. That's one promise I've already broken…I won't break Koji's, too! It's the least I can do."

Suddenly, the phone cut off.

Ikki swallowed. "What? Did she hang up?!"

"No…it went dead," Erika replied, then wished she hadn't. "She's probably just getting close to Dr. Aki's lab. You know he lives higher up than most people. The air's thinner up there, and the connection could've just-"

"We have to save her," Ikki stated.

"You and Metabee have to save her," Erika corrected. "I'm going to find Koji. Anyway, I'd be useless in a fight. Brass still needs her body, and unless Rokusho trashed it, it's still with Koji."

"But…you can't go alone," Ikki protested. "What if…something happened to you?"

At any other time, Erika would've been touched by the concern in his voice. "Are you implying that my Brutal can't hold off the Rubberobos? Because if you are, Ikki Tenryou, I'm going to-!"

"I'll go with her," Sloan offered. "But she's probably right, man. I've never seen a Belzelga that powerful."

"I wasn't doubting Brutal," Ikki replied heatedly. He looked at the ground. "I was just worried about you, Erika…"

Erika's face fell. "Ikki…"

"We don't have time for this," Sloan reminded her, pushing past. "And neither does Karin."

At the mention of her name, Ikki looked up, clearly torn.

"Go," Erika said simply, before running after Sloan.

Ikki hesitated only for a moment. "Metabee!"

"On it!" Metabee fired his missiles, opening up a hole in the roof of the tunnel.

"Transport Medapart!"

Metabee looked at his new Phoenix legs. "Think we'll make it in time?"

"We have to," Ikki said climbing on his back. "Let's go!"

Metabee nodded and soared into the air.

* * * * *

"We'll reach your uncle's lab in a few minutes, Miss Karin."

"Thank you, driver." Karin hung up the phone. "Don't worry, Nurse. Uncle Aki will know what to do."

Neutranurse glanced out of the window. "But I'm still detecting Rokusho, Karin…and he's still tracking us."

"I'm sure Erika and the others are coming up with a plan right now to stop him."

"But if they're not here, how does that help us?" Neutranurse asked.

Karin suddenly became interested in something outside the window.

Less than a mile behind the pink limo, Rokusho had settled into an almost amazingly easy series of long hops, from tree to tree. They were the leaps of an experienced hunter, one who could take down his prey whenever the desire arose. He decided to hang back, to let them think they had a chance of escaping him. The moment their guard was down, though, he would strike. Chuckling softly, he willed the power of the Medaforce to him, allowing it to blanket his body in a disrupter field that couldn't be detected by anything but human eyesight. Not that it mattered, since Karin would never even see him until it was far too late…

* * * * *

As soon as they'd reached Koji's front gate, Erika had transported Brass's body. Though surprised to find it in perfect condition, Erika's attention was then drawn to the broken second floor window.

They found Sumilidon first, and Brass let out a small cry of despair before turning away. She remembered all too well what it was like to have a medal torn out.

Errka suddenly gasped. "Koji!" Stepping carefully around the wrecked Sumilidon, she kneeled by Koji and checked his pulse. "He's alive, but we'd better get him some help before we do anything else."

Brass hesitantly ventured closer to Sumilidon, and was surprised to see a faint glimmer in his smashed fist. "Erika!"

Erika turned, only to see Brass holding up something small, shiny, and cracked down the center.

It was Sumilidon's medal.

"No…" Erika whispered in horror. "They…they were only trying to do what I asked, and….this…" She closed her eyes and looked away, shuddering with rage.

Brass examined the medal closely. "Maybe…Dr. Aki can fix it?"

Erika sighed, tears in her eyes. "Brass…I want you to take Sumilidon's medal straight to Dr. Aki. I'll call an ambulance for Koji. Just hope he doesn't wake up."

"But…why not?" Brass asked.

Erika didn't feel like mentioning it. Deep down inside, she never wanted Koji to have to wake up and realize that everything he'd worked so hard for, all the training, all the glory, all the fame…were just gone. And for no other reason but that he'd been trying to help her.

Erika made a silent promise that no matter what issues Metabee still had with Rokusho, Brass would be the one who finally took him down. She was so focused on that promise, that she never even realized that Sloan & Samurai had vanished.

* * * * *

Karin sighed in relief as Dr. Aki's lab finally came into view. "We made it," she whispered happily.

At that moment, the Chanbara Sword tore through the roof, clamped around Neutranurse's wrist, and yanked her out of the limo.

"NURSE!" Karin screamed.

The car jerked to a stop. "Miss Karin, are you all right?!" the driver cried in alarm.

"Yes!" Karin scrambled out of the car, not sure whether to check on her Medabot or run with the Knuckle, which she still clutched under one arm. The chances of her getting away with an object so heavy were unlikely, and even more so if she stayed. But she couldn't force herself to abandon Neutranurse, and slowly peered around the side of the car.

Neutranurse was struggling to her feet, while Rokusho stood over her, his eyes a dull crimson. He raised his sword.

"NO!" Karin shouted. "LEAVE HER ALONE!"

Rokusho froze…and had he had a mouth, perhaps he would've smiled. "Give it to me," he said simply, "or you'll be needing a replacement Neutranurse head very soon…"

Karin's eyes widened in fear. "You…you wouldn't dare!"

Rokusho suddenly threw back his left arm with an almost careless gesture, catching the driver who'd been trying to sneak up on him flush in the chest. The driver groaned and sank to the ground, clearly unconscious.

"I won't repeat myself again. Give me the Knuckle…or her medal is mine."

Karin froze.

"You had your chance." Rokusho raised his sword…and grunted in surprise when Karin suddenly bolted in the other direction. With a confident grunt, he gave Neutranurse a kick that sent her sailing into the side of the limo, where she would remain until someone was able to pull her out. Then he sprinted after Karin, and had caught up with her in mere seconds.

Karin stumbled to the ground at the sounds of his approach, trying to hide the Knuckle behind her.

Rokusho stood over her, his eyes flashing. "You've wasted enough of my time." He reached out and pressed the tip of his sword to her cheek.

Karin trembled in fear and closed her eyes, unable to meet his any longer. She had failed.

"No."

An iron grip suddenly wrapped itself around Rokusho's wrist, and he gasped in shock as the arm instantly ceased to function. "Impossible! Who…" He trailed off abruptly, and Erika had feeling that if they had been human, his eyes would've been wide with shock. "Spirit…you can't…it's not…"

The gray KBT grabbed Rokusho's other arm as well. "Ro…sho," it said, in a voice heavy with years of disuse.

Rokusho shook his head, his fury rising. "No…NO! I defeated you ten years ago! You can't still be…!"

Spirit's eyes flashed neon green. "Spirit…never…DIES!" He shoved Rokusho roughly to ground.

Rokusho slowly got to his feet. He stared at his useless sword arm, and for a moment, it looked as if he might back off. Then he growled and leaped at Spirit. Before he could get close enough, two missiles suddenly slammed into his back, knocking him off course.

"HEY!" shouted an angry voice above him. "We never finished our Robattle!!!"

Rokusho growled angrily and tried to get to his feet. "Curse you, Metabee…not NOW…"

Spirit trained his revolver on Rokusho while Metabee landed, with Ikki leaping off his back and running over to Karin.

Karin's face flooded with relief as he helped her up. "Ikki! You came to save me?"

Ikki grinned, his cheeks glowing red. "Ah, well, it was nothing, really…"

"Oh, you're a little too late," Karin replied, not noticing when Ikki face vaulted. "That gray Medabot over there did all the work!"

Ikki sweatdropped as he stood up. "But we helped, too…!"

Rokusho growled under his breath as Metabee joined Spirit, also training his revolver on the wounded Medabot.

"So, how should we take him down?" Metabee asked.

"No," Spirit said, dropping his arm. "Let him go."

"WHAT?! No way!"

Spirit whirled on Metabee, his revolver suddenly aimed at the other KBT's head. "Let. Him. Go."

Metabee glared as Rokusho limped away. "This isn't over Rokusho!" He turned back to Spirit. "Why'd you let him go?! He's just gonna do this again!"

"No." Spirit dropped his arm again. "Rokusho will wait now. Until the day."

"WHAT day?"

But Spirit would say nothing else.

"Hey…where's Neutranurse?" Ikki asked suddenly.

Karin gasped and ran back to the limo. "Nurse! Nurse! Can you hear me? Where are you?!"

Metabee looked around. "I don't think she's here…"

"Here," Spirit said, touching the large dent in the side of the limo where Neutranurse was still stuck. "But no work."

Ikki & Metabee began the careful process of prying her out.

"Who ARE you, anyway?" Ikki asked Spirit.

"I heard Rokusho call him Spirit," Metabee replied. "Like they knew each other…"

"Yes," Spirit said. "Long ago. So many…changes."

"I bet he wasn't evil back then," Metabee grumbled.

"No," Spirit agreed. "But very strong. Very fast."

Neutranurse finally came loose, but was still pretty banged up.

"At least she's still got her medal," Ikki noted.

"And thanks to you, Mr. Metabot," Karin said, smiling at Spirit, "we still have the K.O.D.!"

"…fish?" Spirit asked, confused.

Ikki shook his head, and laughed for the first time that night.

* * * * *

The bunny peddler sighed and shook his head. It had been another slow day. "The world's really in bad shape when no one wants a bunny," he grumbled.

Suddenly, there was a loud thumping noise und his mat.

"Huh? What the…?"

The bunny peddler was knocked off his mat as something big, black, and smoking tore through the mat, its eyes glowing red. He got one look at it and ran off screaming, dragging his basket of bunnies with him.

The Medabot fell to its knees, exhausted but determined. "Rikaaa…" it growled, pulling itself out of the alley with the one good arm it still possessed. "Rika…needs me…"

* * * * *

Erika sighed and looked at Koji again. The doctors had told her an hour ago that he only had a mild concussion, but she was hopeful that he'd continue to sleep, anyway. She didn't want to be the one to tell him about Sumilidon.

"Okay, Erika. Time to think positive. Did anything GOOD happen today?"

There was Brass…but she'd had to give up Brutal.

Erika frowned. "I never even got the chance to thank him…"

Suddenly, the phone by the bed rang.

"Who would have the number already?" Erika picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"How's Koji?" asked a familiar voice.

Erika's eyes narrowed. "Rintaro!"

"Whoa, take it easy, dudette!"

"Take it easy?! After what Rokusho did, how can you even-"

"Holp up, Erika! Rokusho doesn't take orders from me. He's his own Medabot. All I know is he's got a major hang-up on that Knuckle of yours."

Erika paused. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Just thought you should know. Anyway, I'll see all you guys at the Championships."

"What?! There's no way you're going to the World Robattle Championships!"

"Oh, but I am. Although, I didn't mean the WRCs. I meant the JNRCs!"

"Huh?"

"Seeya later, dudette!"

Before Erika could say anything else, Rintaro hung up. "JNRCs? What could he…oh no! I've got to warn Ikki!"

* * * * *

"Not to worry, Karin," Dr. Aki said, patting her shoulder. "I'm confident in Ms. Caviar's abilities. Neutranurse will be good as new by morning."

"Thanks, Uncle Aki," Karin replied, but she didn't smile.

"Any word on what happened to Koji yet?" Ikki asked, reading her thoughts.

Dr. Aki shook his head. "Sorry. Erika hasn't called. She probably just wants to make sure he's okay first." His shades flashed mysteriously. "Now, tell me more about this mystery Medabot…?"

"He called himself Spirit," Ikki said. "He was an old KBT, but gray all over. And he was super-strong."

"Spirit? That name seems…so familiar," Dr. Aki murmured. "Like I should know it…"

Metabee leaned over a console. "Hey, should this red light be flashing?"

"GAH! That's the security alarm!" Dr. Aki cried. "HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN DOING THAT?!"

"You must have it on silent, Uncle Aki," Karin noted.

Dr. Aki rushed to the console and punched in commands. "We've got an intruder! Cameras, focus on the disturbance and prepare anti-Metabot defenses!"

"Why anti-Medabot?" Ikki asked.

"After what Rokusho nearly did, you have to ask?"

But the image that popped up in the next few seconds was not Rokusho.

"Whoa! Cancel that last order, Doc!" Metabee shouted. "That's BRASS!"

"She's back in her body!" Ikki cheered. "Erika made it!"

Within a few minutes, Brass had explained what she'd learned: Koji's condition, as well as Sumilidon's.

Dr. Aki didn't look very hopeful as he examined the cracked medal. "I can't repair this medal," he said at last. "There's too much risk that I'd erase Sumilidon's data if I tried."

"Then…it's over for Koji?" Karin asked.

"Maybe not. I could transfer the data to another Kuwagata medal. Performance would suffer a little at first…but knowing Koji, I have little doubt he'd be able to overcome that eventually."

"Then…you can save Sumilidon?" Ikki asked.

"With time," Dr. Aki replied. "I'll get started right now."

* * * * *

Rintaro looked up as Miranda ran into his room, bawling her eyes out. "Hey, what's up, sis?"

Miranda buried her face in his shirt. "It's not fair!" she wailed. "That mean old Rokusho beat up my Teddy!"

"What?" Rintaro asked, patting her head. "Tell what happened."

"We went to pick him up from Dr. Aki's like you said, and when we brought him back here, he just turned around and...and…WAAAAAAAAH!"

Rintaro smiled. "Don't worry about it, sis. He was just picking up the final ten points."

Miranda sniffled and raised her head. "What…?"

Rintaro chuckled. "Now we've all got enough points to cause some major trouble for Ikki & Co."

"Huh? But…the Robattle standings have already been finalized, big brother…"

Rintaro grinned maniacally. "Oh, HAVE they, sis…?" He threw back his head and laughed.

* * * * *

Sloan looked up at his superior. "You were right, sir. The Rubberobos have operatives almost everywhere. They're like a plague."

"Then we'll have to be the cure. Are you willing to risk your Metabot to bring them down, son?"

Sloan saluted. "Yes, sir!"

"Then let's do it. Now."

* * * * *

Erika groaned in frustration and dialed the number again. For some reason, nobody was answering at Dr. Aki's. She tried ignore the feeling that suggested something very bad had happened there. After all, Ikki & Metabee had to be there by now…

She quickly pushed that thought away as well. She refused to believe that something had happened to them.

"But…you can't go alone," Ikki had said the last time they'd spoken. "What if…something happened to you?"

Suddenly, Erika's Medawatch began to beep. At first, she thought Brass was trying to call her. And then she realized it was the black Medawatch. "Brutal…?" she whispered.

"Rikaaa…"

She spun around in time to see the black Medabot tumbling through the window. "BRUTAL! You're okay!" She ran over and threw her arms around him. "I thought I'd never see you again…"

Brutal grunted happily. "Rass…okay?"

Erika blinked, then smiled. "Yes, Brass is just fine, thanks to you."

"But everything else is not," said a familiar voice.

Erika turned again and gasped. "Space Medafighter X?! What are you doing here?!"

"Checking up on my pupil," SMX replied, looking down at Koji. "And I'm here to deliver a message as well. One that you may already know about."

From behind SMX stepped a gray KBT-type with green eyes.

"Play the tape for her, Spirit."

Spirit nodded and his eyes flashed.

"I repeat, ladies and gentlemen, the World Robattle Association has announced that there will be a Japanese National Robattle Championship this year, in order to clear up some discrepancies in the point totals. Apparently, at least three Medafighters have the same point totals as the top three-ranked Medafighters. Several other Medafighters have also come startlingly close to qualifying, and so it has been decided that they will all receive a chance to advance during the National Championships. The three overall winners will then go on to represent Japan in the World Robattle Championships. Here is a finalized list of all the invited competitors…"

* * * * *

Rokusho leaped into the darkness of night, his red eyes flashing with renewed energy. "We will meet again, Spirit. And this time…in the name of my Medafighter, Professor Hushi…I'll make sure you never Robattle again!"

* * * * *

Metabee summoned up all his courage…and decided it was time to have a talk with Brass.

He found her standing guard over Neutranurse. He also noticed, chuckling softly, that she'd put the K.O.D. back on. Metabee suppressed the strong urge to ask her for a Robattle and walked up to her. "Um…Brass?"

She turned to face him. "Yes, Metabee?"

"I…wanted to say…it's great to have you back."

She nodded. "It's good to be back."

"No, I mean…it's REALLY great to have you back."

Brass nodded again. "I know. I'm quite pleased myself."

Metabee sighed. "NO! I mean…I missed you."

"…oh." Brass turned away slightly. "Really…?"

"Well, yeah! I've worked with partners before, but nobody backs me up like you do."

She decided to take that as one of Metabee's rare compliments. "And…what if I wanted you to back me up?" she asked softly.

"Just name the time and place," he said at once.

She turned around in shock. "You…wouldn't mind not being in the spotlight?"

"Kinda hard to get out of it, being number three in Japan," he reminded her. "But I figure since you helped me get this far, I don't mind sharing it with you." His eyes darkened. "But don't you tell anybody I said that!"

"Of course not," she replied automatically. Then she giggled. "You…really missed me, Metabee?"

"Guess you'll have to find out in the super-exclusive interview," he teased, winking at her.

"It'll have to wait!" Ikki cried as he burst in. "You guys gotta hear this!" He thrust the radio he was holding at them.

"…and last but certainly not least, the winners of the citywide tournament (hosted by Koji, ranked number two), Erika & Brass! Once again, those are the competitors for the Japan National Robattle Championships!"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 8: The Iron Grip

The stage is set for the Japan National Robattle Championships, and every top spot is on the line! SMX, Ikki, and even Koji will fight to hang onto their titles, while Erika & the Evil Dudes will battle to take them away! But why is Spirit entering, where's his Medafighter, and why is he nothing short of unstoppable? And what powerful, undefeated Metabot lies in wait for the winners?