Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Medabots: Impossible ❯ Time Marches On ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Medabots: Impossible

Chapter Four: Time Marches On

By: Lord Archive

Medabots and most characters found here do not belong to me, but to NAS/Kodansha, TV Tokyo. Hiroshi, Megumi, Mimoji and medabot designs besides those found in the original series are mine, all mine! Muwhahahahah!

------------------

'WNN, World Network News. Watched by world leaders and evil dictators around the globe.'

"Bored. Bored. Industrial strength boooooored," Arika groused, laying in her bed as she watched her favorite television station on the portable set she had in her room. Whatever the bug she had was, it certainly wasn't food poisoning, since that lasted at most forty-eight hours and she had been sick for four days now. In fact, it had gotten worse. The nausea and vomiting hung with her during the entire day so far. Even though she had yet to register a fever, the only thing she could think she had was the flu. Nothing else made sense.

'Ahbadabadu sent WNN another scathing letter for calling him an 'evil, despotic, dictator,' one of the WNN anchorman reported with a barely contained smirk.

'Don't forget pathetic,' noted the co-anchorman. 'Ahbadabadu's premier war robot was defeated seven weeks ago during the second round of the World Robattle Championships by a Japanese kid.'

Arika scowled since they failed to name Ikki as the one who took out said war robot. It had been a brutal fight considering the robot had enough weapons to arm Japan, but Metabee managed to get a clear shot with his demolition cannon blew off its head.

Truthfully, Victor and Kouji had put up more of a fight. Space Medafighter X, also known as Phantom Renegade, would've probably been a more difficult opponent as well, if he hadn't disqualified himself.

Arika was interrupted from her thoughts by the phone ringing. She picked it up since her mother was out shopping. "Hello. Amazake residence. Arika speaking."

'Hi, Arika. This is Ms. Nae. Can you come over to Medabot Emporium with Brass?'

Arika debated for all of a half-second. While she hardly felt well, she was ready to jump at a chance to get out of the house. "I'll be down shortly. Bye." She quickly hung up the phone, tossed on some clothes, and dragged her protesting medabot out the door.

------------------

"A six-and-one record!" Megumi chirped. "You're doing great Hiroshi!"

Five wins since upgrading Sir Lanceabot would be good, if his opponents weren't all pathetically weak. He barely moved up in the Robattle Rankings. How Megumi managed to get him matches against opponents who didn't stand a chance in hell of winning, he didn't know.

"Tomorrow we have Higashi, again," Megumi informed. "He wants a rematch."

"No," Hiroshi stated firmly.

"What do you mean, 'no?'" Megumi's mood instantly grew colder.

"Beating up on Hamshin again is a waste of time. If I'm going to raise my ranking, I need to face opponents I haven't beaten before. Preferably those who have a higher skill ranking so I can increase my own ranking as a medafighter," Hiroshi explained with a hard edge.

"Hiroshi, if there was someone else to fight you tomorrow, I would've set it up, but there isn't. Isn't it better to get in a match than to have none at all?" Megumi returned.

"I'd rather have a friendly practice match against a top ranked medafighter," Hiroshi returned.

Megumi folded her arms. "You know if you back out of this fight, Higashi will call you a chicken."

Hiroshi glared. "Fine, I'll play kick the hamster, but don't set up rematches again. They're pointless!"

Megumi shrugged. "I'll keep that in mind so I won't set up a rematch with the Rubber Robos later." She then walked off.

"Right." Hiroshi then blinked. "HEY! I WILL fight the Robos and reclaim my pride!"

Megumi turned around. "But you said you didn't want any more rematches." She stuck out her tongue at him and then sprinted off.

For some reason Hiroshi couldn't explain, he smiled while scowling at her retreating form.

------------------

"You wouldn't happen to be a medafighter, would you?" questioned Squidguts.

A young, black-haired girl blinked as she looked at the rubber coated blob. "Yes, I am."

"How about a little match? I'm not very good," Squidguts lied. He then felt a little nervous as the girl gave him a demented look not unlike a cat had after it ate the canary.

"Sure. I'll battle you," the girl answered.

"Winner gets choice of medapart from the loser," Squidguts mentioned the terms of the fight.

"Got a medabot flight unit?" the girl asked as she pressed the button on her medawatch and Arc Dash appeared before her, a red and gold humanoid medabot loaded with cannons and had a large horn on his head and another sticking out from his chest.

"I can get you one, IF you win," Squidguts retorted and activated his transporter. Before him appeared Kraken, the giant squid medabot.

Arc Dash chuckled coldly. "Guess fried squid is on the menu tonight."

Fireworks suddenly exploded around them and in between the medafighters a cloud of smoke erupted that dissipated to reveal Mr. Referee. "It is agreed! This will be a submission robattle! Medafighters ready?! Then roooooobattle!"

"Arc Dash, keep your distance and fire at long range," the girl ordered.

"Kraken, grab him!" Squidguts shouted into his medawatch.

"Too slow." Arc Dash dodged one swipe of the tentacles. "Missed me. Missed me. Now ya gotta kiss me!" Kraken began to wildly swing at the beetle medabot, who kept blasting the larger robot despite that the attacks seemed to cause no damage.

"Arc Dash, finish it," the girl ordered.

"Beware the power of the sun! And face the ultimate might of my prominence!" Energy began to arc between the chest and head horns until it surged forth, striking Kraken and sending the enormous squid flying.

The girl sweat-dropped. "You've been watching Genkai's tape of the last World Robattle Championships again, haven't you?"

Arc Dash shrugged. "What can I say, Sara? Space Medafighter X and Arc Lord were beyond cool!"

"They knocked Genkai out of the tournament in the first round," Sara retorted.

"More reason to like them," Arc Dash chirped while scratching the back of his head. One of his wrist cannons seemed to fire on it's own, and hit the twitching Kraken where the large energy blast had struck it.

Squidguts's mouth dropped as Kraken's medal ejected.

"The winner, Sara!" Mr. Referee announced happily. Finally someone pulled the rug out from under the Rubber Robos, by a little girl no less.

"I'll have my flight unit now," Sara demanded.

Squidguts took a minute to access his acquired medaparts before finding a flight unit to give the girl.

"Thanks!" Sara immediately equipped the jetpack with wings onto Arc Dash. "Now fly me home."

"Eh?" Arc Dash questioned. "You sure about that? I've never flown before?"

"Yes. If we don't get home fast, Genkai will get there first and hog the television." Sara then smirked. "Besides, I want to rub it into his face that I beat one of the Rubber Robos that 'almost defeated' his 'mighty' Red Run."

Arc Dash shook his head and muttered, "The joys of sibling rivalry."

------------------

Ikki stretched as he laid on a hill, watching the river flow by. "Ah. This is the life."

"What do you mean? You aren't doing anything," Metabee commented, sitting next to his partner.

"Just enjoying being a kid, that's all. No worries beyond the test in math on Monday and wondering when Arika will feel better." Ikki shrugged. "Everyone needs to take a break and relax once in a while."

Metabee huffed. "I don't know any other kid who enjoys doing nothing."

Ikki laughed. "It's just after all those major robattles and other responsibilities we had, it's nice to have a moment where nothing is expected of me. The other kids don't know how good they got it since most people don't expect anything more of them beyond school work."

Metabee folded his arms. "You know, we could actually be doing something. Like finding a robattle to fight."

"What? You want to find some little kid and kick his medabot's ass? Or perhaps you want to go ten-rounds with Red Run in that body?" Ikki returned. "We either out class our opponent, or they have us at a disadvantage. There aren't many medafighters with medabots that fit between those levels."

"Well, we could face Spike or Sloan," Metabee mentioned.

"We already got our robattle points off them. It'd be a pointless effort," Ikki replied.

"Fine. Then I challenge you to video games. I need to beat something up!" Metabee demanded.

Ikki shrugged. "Sure, but I'll beat you."

"In your dreams," Metabee shot back.

------------------

Sara stared as she entered the apartment she lived at. "Red Run, what are you doing?!"

The red demonic medabot flipped through the television channels. "Trying to find something good on."

"Well, I'm home and I want to watch my show," Sara told him harshly.

"I was here first," Red Run returned.

"How about we robattle for it?" Arc Dash suggested.

"Riiiight," Red Run rolled his optical receptors. "Little bro, you've never beaten me before, you aren't going to beat me today. I know how that body fights too well, as it used to be my body. Just save yourself the humiliation."

Arc Dash glared. "Oh, really. And guess who just beat the Rubber Robos. It certainly wasn't your couch-potato ass."

Red Run looked a little surprised. "You beat Kraken and Siren?"

"I beat Kraken," Arc Dash corrected.

Red Run laughed. "Siren is the bigger threat. I could take out Kraken blindfolded." He then hummed a little. "That might not be a bad idea if I fight Siren again. Her body was... WOW!"

Sara smacked Red Run with book and swiped the remote control.

"Hey! That's mine!" Red Run cried out, reaching desperately for the device.

With the channel set, Sara let him have the remote control. The demon robot immediately started to press the buttons, but nothing happened. He then muttered some impolite things seeing the batteries in the young girl's hand, especially with Arc Dash chuckling at him.

------------------

"Hi, Ms. Nae," Arika greeted in a tired tone.

"Hello, Arika." Ms. Nae's almost constant smile dropped as she looked at the girl. "Are you feeling all right? You look awfully pale."

"Just a touch of flu." Arika waved it off. "I needed an excuse to get some fresh air. So, why did you want me to bring Brass over?"

"I'm working on a few ideas I had for Metabee's new body. Considering I'm taking parts from his last body and a Sexy Sailor-Multi, I've gone a bit under budget for once." Ms. Nae giggled a little at her private joke.

Arika knew of Ms. Nae's penchant to go overboard when working on medabots and laughed with the mechanic. Her stomach suddenly lurched and the young girl immediately dove for the trashcan and threw up into it.

Ms. Nae's eyes widened. "Arika, are you all right?"

Arika gave a painful laugh. "Yeah. As I said, just a touch of the flu. Sorry about this. I'll go clean this." She then grabbed the trashcan and went to the store's bathroom.

Ms. Nae looked at Brass. "Is she really all right?"

Brass sighed. "I'm not sure. She really should be staying in bed, but...."

"Arika can be very stubborn," Ms. Nae completed. "I don't need her here to work on my idea, just you. I'll explain what I want to do, and if you and Arika agree, just come back tomorrow and I'll get to work on it. And if Arika still isn't feeling well, have her stay home."


Henry frowned, overhearing everything. He gave a small prayer for Arika to get better soon. He then looked at Ms. Nae's hovering mermaid medabot. "Is she really under budget?"

Honey nodded. "I've even been padding the numbers so she thinks she has less to work from."

------------------

Does Hamshin have a chance against Sir Lanceabot?
Who will the Rubber Robos attack next?
Will Arika get better?
Can Ikki and Metabee really wait almost two weeks before doing serious robattles?
Can Sara, Genkai and their medabots ever get along?
Find out in the next Medabots: Impossible!


Biggest problem of writing a series set after the anime when you have yet to see all of the anime series the fict is based on: plot twists. While I had figured Genkai would switch sides eventually, I didn't think he'd do it so soon nor gain Arc Dash as his medabot. Basics way to fix this: shortly after end of Medabots anime, Genkai got Red Run's body and had Ms. Nae fix it (as I had planned from the start) and set it up to use Arc Dash's medal. With the extra medabot body of Arc Dash, he gave that to his little sister, Sara.


Reply to reviews made by 'Phantom ?':
Word of etiquette, don't push writers or artist to do more work. More often than not, you only upset the person and DELAY more work from being done. It takes time to put a good story together and delays of months between chapters are to be expected. I have ficts that haven't seen updates in years. I certainly don't intend this fict to last that long. I do have an end in mind, unlike my Digimon works with numerous sequels half-plotted out. While I appreciate your interest in this fict, you will have to wait for future chapters as quality takes time.

As for posting weekly to get my 'ratings up,' would not be true as that would mean putting up rushed chapters which would be of poorer quality which would lose readers. Also, if the story is good enough the vast majority of readers are willing to wait several months for the next chapter. Book 5 of Harry Potter had people waiting years for it and it was a best seller from presales alone.