Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Direct Approach ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eight: Direct Approach
 
Once again, the Uchiha boy could not believe that he had gotten himself into his current situation.
 
How had he ever agreed to the idiot's help?
 
The Uzumaki slammed his hand onto the desk for dramatic effect, catching the Uchiha's attention again. “You just don't understand!” he cried. “You have to act like a normal person if you even want to try catching Kagome's attention! She'll never go for that high and mighty Uchiha act that you've got going on!”
 
Iruka briefly glanced up from his position in the front of the classroom, before shaking his head and deciding that he did not want to know. He should just be happy with the fact that Naruto and Sasuke were not fighting at the current moment. After all, it was a tremendous step, considering they had come into the classroom together so early in the morning. They were not fighting, and he had known about Uchiha Sasuke's interest in Higurashi Kagome for quite some time already, so there really was nothing to worry about.
 
Except, perhaps, the young fan girl hearts that were just waiting to be broken.
 
“Kagome doesn't care about your stupid clan—” Naruto ignored Sasuke's narrowing eyes, “—She'd sooner marry some regular guy, like that moron Hojo, then consider you because you're from a powerful clan. And that's just scary, so you've got to read these notes I wrote down for you!”
 
“First off,” Sasuke scowled, “no one could read these notes. And second off, from what I know, she does not like when people act like something they're not.”
 
“You're point?” Naruto asked. Really, was it so hard for the Uchiha to understand he had to let down the arrogant, Uchiha barrier he had built around himself?
 
How is acting like a normal person supposed to help me when I am not a normal person?” Sasuke asked, trying to drill each word into the blonde's head. “Wouldn't that destroy the whole plan, since Kagome hates it when people act like someone they're not?”
 
“Hm,” Naruto nodded, stating, “I see you're point. But!
 
“But?” Sasuke muttered.
 
“You've still got to stop acting so damn arrogant!” Naruto said.
 
“How many times must I explain to you—?” Sasuke started.
 
“Look!” Naruto snapped. “Don't argue with me! I'm Kagome's best friend! I know exactly what she likes and what she doesn't like! And one of the things she hates is when people act like they're better than everyone else—which is what I'm talking about this time! You've got a be a little nicer, at least to her and those she cares about, otherwise she's going to get angry and stomp away like a child!”
 
Sasuke sighed, because he could see the blonde shinobi-in-training's point. He had known that little fact. But he supposed hearing it from Naruto's mouth finally stomped down the knowledge, since everything he did to try and impress her through his heritage was basically telling her that he was better than everyone else around them. And despite the fact that that was so true, it was also clear why she remained oblivious to his affection.
 
“Do you understand now?” Naruto asked.
 
“Yes,” Sasuke nodded. Then, casting the blonde a dark look, he also stated, “However, don't expect me to start acting like I care about you because—”
 
“Well, duh!” Naruto slapped his forehead. He also ignored the Uchiha boy's dark, irritated appearance as he glowered at him. “If you start doing that, Kagome's going to know something's up. She'll probably ask you what's wrong and then try to fix you. And that is definitely not what we're going for here!”
 
Fix him? Kagome often tried to help people, but he had never known her to try and fix them. Just what the hell was the blonde talking about?
 
“Don't look at me like that,” Naruto grumbled.
 
“What are you talking about? Fix me?” Sasuke just had to know.
 
Naruto blinked at the other boy for a moment, before slowly stating, “Yes. Fix you. She'll think something must be really wrong with you and start doing stuff to make you feel better and act normally.” He paused for a single moment. “You might like that, but don't think too much into it. She does it with everyone. Something about hating when someone she cares about—which is basically everyone—is sick in any shape or form.”
 
Slowly, the Uchiha nodded at the blonde Uzumaki. He had to wonder, though, exactly how Naruto's head worked, since his entire explanation fell under Sasuke's explanation of when Kagome tried to help someone. He had just put it into terms that were not only odd, but clearly only something Uzumaki Naruto would come up with.
 
Seriously, fixing people? It was so much easier to just say she was trying to help them.
 
“Alright,” Naruto coughed, “back to our original subject.”
 
Sasuke merely stared at him.
 
Picking up the piece of paper that the Uchiha had been ignoring since he threw it in front of him, Naruto skimmed down the list he had made. It took him only a moment to find something else on his “Uchiha Flaw” list that seriously needed to be abolished before Kagome would begin to notice Uchiha Sasuke's attention at all. “Ok!” he grinned.
 
Uchiha Sasuke merely blinked, again, before he realized that the other shinobi-in-training was waiting for him to speak. So, he growled, “What?”
 
Chuckling, Naruto said, “Back to the clan business!”
 
What about it?” Sasuke snarled, noticing the pause the Uzumaki had made. Oh, if only he could strangle him.
 
“There are actually several things that you've got to stop doing,” Naruto stated in a very business-like voice. “First off, Kagome does not—”
 
The sound of the classroom door clicking open halted the blonde's sentence, as the attention of the two boys snapped to the swinging door. Iruka found it slightly amusing, though he was not surprised when Sasuke was quick to react, kicking Naruto into the aisle and sliding into his seat.
 
“Hey!” Naruto yelled. “What the hell was that—?”
 
“Odd,” a feminine voice broke this his rant, “this is not as surprising as it should be.”
 
Huh?” Naruto blinked, turning to see the Hyuuga Neji Fan Girl standing in the doorway. And he sighed in relief, because being caught with Uchiha Sasuke—who quickly shoved his list into his pocket—by Mizuki was so much better than being caught by Kagome.
 
The Hyuuga Neji Fan Club member glanced between them in curiosity, before flipping her hair and smirking. “This is almost too good to be true,” she squealed happily, confusing the two boys. “But, it has finally happened and Neji-sama will be mine soon enough! I can only be happy that it happened so soon!”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?” Naruto scowled. “I was only telling this bastard how much of a bastard he is! There's nothing special about that, and I really don't see how in the hell it's going to help you get that arrogant Hyuuga Neji!”
 
Sasuke felt the need to slam his head into his desk. Did Naruto think he was helping? Because he was pointing out the fact that he was lying rather blatantly! And the look that Mizuki sent them stated quite clearly that she knew that!
 
“Oh, there's no reason to play dumb with me, Naruto-kun,” Mizuki giggled. “We all saw Higurashi Kagome leave the Academy with Uchiha Sasuke yesterday, and it was only a matter of time before she made him a part of your little group. I'm just surprised it happen so quickly.”
 
The Uchiha felt the need to sigh in relief, though he hated the fact that Mizuki was even assuming that he would associate himself with someone like Naruto willingly. He supposed it was better than her knowing his plan to have Higurashi Kagome, though, since the Hyuuga Neji Fan Girl would no doubt screw up his plan, despite the fact that she was trying to get rid of the chance at Kagome's heart. Her head was just too far up in the clouds.
 
“W-what?” Naruto cried in outrage. “Kagome would never allow this ass into our amazingly awesome duo!”
 
“Oh, of course, Naruto,” Mizuki nodded. But, as she walked to her seat, she rolled her eyes at the blonde's attempt to correct her thinking. There was nothing he could do to make her think otherwise. Especially when the situation was turning out to be in her favor! After all, if Higurashi Kagome became interested in the little Uchiha, Neji would be hers for the taking!
 
And she simply could not wait to help the Hyuuga piece his heart back together!
 
Huffing at the Hyuuga Neji Fan Girl as she moved by him, Naruto finally managed to pick himself up from the ground and settled into his own seat. And, just to keep up appearances, he made sure to settle his head onto his arms and grumble about how idiotic the entire idea was. Which, in truth, was not that hard, because it was the dumbest thing he had ever heard.
 
Uchiha Sasuke would never be his friend.
 
Even if he managed to do as he told him in order to win Kagome's love, and became her boyfriend.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Naruto?”
 
“H-huh?” the blonde shinobi-in-training jerked upright, blinking rapidly.
 
Higurashi Kagome suddenly appeared in his line of sight, shoving her hand onto his forehead. “A-are you alright?” she asked in a soft voice.
 
Rubbing at his eyes, Naruto huffed, yawning, “W-what gave you that idea? I'm perfectly fine!”
 
The kunoichi-in-training scrambled over him into her seat, but made sure to keep her eye on the slumped over boy. And she frowned deeply as she watched him, because there was simply no possible way that Naruto was not sick in some way. Oh, and she was probably the cause of it!
 
Twitching a little, Naruto asked, “What's the matter?”
 
“Naruto,” Kagome bit her lip, “I'm only going to ask once. Are you sure you're all right? Completely positive? I don't have to take you to the hospital to have the medic-nin's take a look at you?”
 
No!” Naruto practically shouted.
 
Naruto!” Iruka exploded from the front. Class had just started! There was no reason for him to be yelling!
 
His voice lowered when he continued, realizing that Iruka-sensei was in one of his moods and that class had apparently started around the time Kagome woke him up from his nap. “There's no reason to take me to the hospital! I said I'm fine!”
 
“B-but,” Kagome almost felt like she should be crying, “you were here… early.”
 
So?” Naruto blinked.
 
“Early!” Kagome gulped, wondering just how sick Naruto was. “Early, Naruto!”
 
“And that's a big deal because—?” Naruto urged her to continue.
 
“You're never here early,” Kagome replied.
 
“Oh—” as he began to wake up completely, Naruto realized he might be destroying his entire plan. So, he laughed a little, trying to lighten the mood, “—Uh, Iruka-sensei wanted to talk to me this morning. I practically slept in the classroom just to get here on time, ya know.”
 
Kagome gasped, and a moment later she tasted the coppery flavor of blood as she bit into her lip a little too hard. “Why didn't you tell me that Iruka-sensei wanted to see you in the morning? I wouldn't have made you do all those things yesterday. Especially over a measly thousand yen!”
 
Really? Naruto blinked, slowly going over Kagome's words a second time. Never made him do those things, or just let him off until some more convenient time? Because he really wanted to know how far he could take that piece of information in order to escape her harsh dictatorship in the future.
 
“Naruto?” Kagome asked after a moment.
 
“Well,” Naruto quickly came up with another lie, “you know, if I'm going to be Hokage when I'm older, I've got to live up to my commitments. Besides! They were weeds. Nothing the great Uzumaki Naruto can't handle!”
 
“I guess so,” Kagome stated slowly, watching him closely. Oh, she really hoped that he was telling the truth. If she had damaged him in some way because she made him stay out so late to do a job she, admittedly, should have done a week before, she would never forgive herself. Naruto was her best friend. How could she ever do something so awful to him?
 
Suddenly, Naruto narrowed his eyes and yelped, “Holy crap!” in order to shift Kagome's attention away from him and their current conversation.
 
Uzumaki Naruto!” Iruka shrieked, turning to give the boy a piece of his mind. However, the next sentence never left his mouth when he caught sight of Naruto pointing at Higurashi Kagome, who seemed to have blood sliding over her bottom lip, down her chin, and onto her nice training clothes.
 
Kagome!” Naruto continued. “Your lip is bleeding like crazy!”
 
Uchiha Sasuke's head whipped around, his attention immediately snapping away from Iruka-sensei and settling onto the girl sitting behind him. And he almost hit himself when he realized that Naruto had come up with some stupid plan to keep Kagome from noticing anything odd. Though, he supposed that the stupidity of the entire moment probably would steer Kagome's attention completely away from the blonde.
 
Scrambling, Naruto reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, white cloth in order to dab a bit at the thick, red liquid spilling from Kagome's lip. “W-why isn't it stopping?”
 
Kagome blushed a little, realizing that every eye in the classroom was turned upon her and Naruto was dabbing at her lips! Quickly, letting out a small whine because of the situation, Kagome grabbed onto Naruto helping hand and shoved him away from her. “Agh! What do you think you're doing?!” she shouted.
 
“B-but, Kagome, your lip!” Naruto protested. This was much better than he thought it would be. Kagome was already starting to give him that burning, blue-eyed stare and it would not be long before she completely forgot about the fact that he had come to class early.
 
When the boy rushed at her with the cloth, Kagome shifted in her seat and slammed her sandal into his face without remorse. “Get that thing away from me, you idiot!” she screamed.
 
Slowly, Sasuke smirked, as he watched the blonde shinobi-in-training slam his head into the hard wood seating opposite of where he had been sitting. And his smirk only got a little wider when the other boy whimpered, holding the back of his head in pain. Because really, he definitely deserved that after everything he had done to the Uchiha clan, him, and then there was the simple fact that he had just been touching Kagome's lips.
 
Iruka, slowly, placed his head into his hand in order to slow his breathing. However, the fact that Kagome had somehow injured herself, worrying him originally, quickly left his mind as his anger refused to subside. So, he settled with yelling, “How many times must I tell you—!”
 
Kagome squeaked, because she knew for a fact Iruka-sensei was yelling at her. “U-uh,” she started, “I-I've got to go to the bathroom!” And Iruka-sensei really exploded behind her, as she fled for dear life.
 
HIGURASHI KAGOME!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Target sighted,” he whispered.
 
Sasuke rolled his eyes, though he kept his eyes on the target that Naruto spoke of.
 
“I said, target sighted,” Naruto grumbled. He narrowed his eyes on the unresponsive Uchiha. Despite how many times they had gone over the coding for their little mission, the Uchiha simply was not getting it. And he could just bet that the stupid Uchiha—seriously, why did he have to be the one that was actually trying to make Kagome happy?—was ignoring him because he was eyeing Kagome's butt.
 
Or! Maybe he was thinking about how Kagome had forcefully shoved her foot into his face earlier, which, consequentially, slammed his head into a hard object! Yeah, he could just bet that was the reason. Stupid Uchiha probably thought it was hilarious that he now had a giant bruise!
 
Ignoring what he was supposed to do, Sasuke asked, “What exactly am I supposed to be doing?”
 
Naruto laughed nervously, saying, “Oh, I didn't tell you?”
 
Sasuke glared at him.
 
“Well,” Naruto coughed a little, “after those two are out of the way, you're going to go for the direct approach.”
 
Direct approach?” Sasuke asked.
 
“You're going to march over there and ask Kagome on a date!” Naruto nodded, happy with himself.
 
Blinking, Sasuke shifted his onyx colored eyes away from the sight of Kagome speaking with Sasaki Sango and Taisho Inuyasha in order to stare at the blonde. Seriously? A date? He expected Kagome to hand her heart over to him because of a date? How stupid was he?
 
“What?” Naruto hissed.
 
“I could have easily come up with that,” Sasuke hissed back.
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Naruto snorted. “But we both know you wouldn't have. Your stupid Uchiha-ness would have prevented you from trying something so simple, even though it is going to work much better than your stupid plans.”
 
“You're supposed to be helping me.”
 
“I am helping you!” Naruto snapped in return. “If you think Kagome's so shallow that she'll suddenly hand her heart over because you've given her something or because you've played the pity card, you need to have you head examined. Immediately. Because capturing Kagome's very, very allusive heart is going to take a bit of time and effort! None of that, oh, look! I'm the great Uchiha Sasuke and I've totally got what you need, Kagome, so you should give me your love right this very second.”
 
Watching the other boy huff, Sasuke made sure to break eye contact as quickly as possible. What he had been doing was nothing like that. He had been trying to assess the quickest way to Kagome's heart. And only because he needed her to finally see him, to want him as much as he wanted her, and lift away that cloak of obliviousness that was stopping her from seeing his affection. He would have, eventually, changed his tactic and tried the slow approach in hopes that, over time, he would be the first to capture her.
 
He jut did not like the thought that someone else might receive what he needed so badly from her.
 
“Oh, oh,” Naruto grinned, snapping his attention back to their target. “The others are on the move. I repeat: the others are on the move.”
 
“I heard you the first time,” Sasuke said, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.
 
Scowling at him, Naruto said, “If you're not going to do it right—”
 
“Why don't we just get this over with before Kagome leaves?” Sasuke asked.
 
Pausing for a moment, Naruto nodded back. He said, “Good idea.”
 
“Idiot,” Sasuke muttered, as he moved away from the blonde.
 
“Hey—!” Naruto began, but the Uchiha was moving toward his intended target at a fast pace. He grumbled for a moment afterward, realizing that he would have to wait in order to get him back for the comment, but decided to watch. Because he was pretty sure that rushing out there to give the Uchiha a piece of his mind would give them away.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kagome.”
 
The Higurashi girl shifted on her foot so suddenly that she nearly lost her balance, though she managed to correct her footing and smiled brightly. “Oh, hello, Sasuke,” she began. “Is there something you wanted?”
 
“I was wondering—” and somehow, Sasuke's voice escaped him. He was pretty sure it was because of the light breeze that lifted up a few strands of Kagome's hair. However, he knew there was also a fair chance that it could have been because the smile she was wearing was just for him. Reminding him that as soon as he held her heart in the palm of his hand that she would always smile just for him.
 
Well, unless she got really pissed off at him.
 
Kagome blinked at the silence, wondering if Sasuke had come down with something. She had not spoken with him a lot during their days in the Academy, but she knew for a fact that he spoke in short sentences and always got his point across. But, for some odd reason, he continued to pause and stop what he was saying all together lately. Sure, the first time was understandable, since he was not the type to tell anyone about his problems, but it could not be a coincidence that it happened time and again. So, really, the only logical explanation was that he was sick.
 
Maybe Naruto had given it to him? She would not be surprised if that were the case. Her friend loved pulling pranks on the Uchiha clan whenever he could get away with it, and there were plenty of times for him to give a virus to one of them.
 
“I was wondering—” Damn it! Sasuke, almost instantly, closed his eyes tightly as he tried to force his tongue into doing what he wanted it to do. She was just a girl! “I was wondering—”
 
“Sasuke?” Kagome caught his attention. “Are you feeling alright?”
 
Yes,” Sasuke nodded slowly, allowing his eyes to open once more.
 
“It's just weird that you and Naruto are starting to act a little weird,” she muttered. “I can't help but wondering if you might have come down with some kind of cold. Maybe you should visit the hospital or stay in bed for a couple days.”
 
Sasuke blinked. At least she only thought he had a cold. Though, the fact that she looked like she might shove him into his bed herself—which might not be such a bad thing—was a little unnerving. Especially since he had never really interacted with her inside or outside the Academy until he decided it was time that he finally put his plan into action.
 
“But, if you're fine, I guess there's no reason to worry,” Kagome nodded to herself.
 
Sasuke decided that it might be best to catch her attention and get the situation over with. The sooner he asked her out on a date, though he felt out of place, considering the girls always asked him out, the sooner he could get back to striving for her affection and love. So, he cut her off as she went to speak again, saying, “Kagome.”
 
“Oh,” she blushed a bit, “you were saying something?”
 
“Would you—?” No, definitely not good enough. “I was—” That one was down the drain. “This Saturday—” Damn it, why was it so damn hard? “I had hoped—” That one sounded a lot like another. “You see—”
 
Kagome tilted her head a little to the side, waiting for him to finish.
 
The small movement caught Sasuke's keen eye. It was just so damn cute that he could not help but have his eyes drawn to it. Unfortunately, though, he instantly lost track of what he had been trying to say and felt absolutely humiliated when he spoke again. “Um.
 
Curse his tongue! And that damn feeling that suddenly rose in his stomach, flipping over and over again, because he had hoped that just one encounter with Higurashi Kagome would not bring forth that damn flip. It seemed, though, that the damn butterflies nesting in his stomach were not ready to leave him alone, because the small giggle that escaped Kagome's throat when he scowled increased the damn fluttering.
 
Seriously!?! How hard should it be to ask Higurashi Kagome on a simple date?!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“What the hell is he doing out there?” Naruto frowned to himself, blinking as the Uchiha subconsciously shifted his footing. “Giving her his life story?”
 
Despite the fact that the Uchiha was clearly floundering, Naruto was finding the situation highly amusing. It was what that damn Uchiha Sasuke deserved after refusing to use the secretive coding required for any mission! He should have stuck to the plan and done what he told him to do. But, no! He had to ignore the ground rules he set down!
 
Also, he deserved it after blasting him with that damn fire technique of his! His arm had hurt for quite some time, and still did occasionally, because that damn Uchiha had to act all high and mighty. Not to mention the fact that it had given Kagome a perfect way to make him pull those stupid, stupid little plants. Whatever in the hell they were.
 
So, he was getting exactly what he deserved.
 
“Did he just—” Naruto blinked, as the Uchiha boy stiffened. Then, he muttered, “You idiot, Sasuke. Just ask her already. It's not that hard. `I want you to go out on a date with me'. `I want you to go out on a date with me'. Just say it!”
 
Yes, Naruto did find it highly amusing that the Uchiha was having such a hard time asking Kagome such a simple question, but he also found it highly frustrating. He had told the other boy exactly what to say and exactly what to do if he wanted to catch Kagome's attention enough that she would actually consider it, but he was just standing there. Doing nothing! Nothing!?!
 
The Uchiha clan was considered one of the most powerful in Konoha's history. The greatest! The majestic and magnificent clan that had the Sharingan! So, why in the hell was Uchiha Sasuke having such a hard time asking Kagome on a date?!? Why was he, someone from the great and terrifying clan, having such a hard time asking such a simple question?!? Why?!
 
Say it.” Naruto tried to mentally control the Uchiha with no luck. “Say it.”
 
After a while, the blonde growled deep in his throat at the Uchiha's failure. Kagome was just a girl! Sure, a girl that could get extremely scary at times and Uchiha happened to love, but she was just a girl! Why was it so hard for him to open his mouth and ask one little thing from her?
 
Straining his ears, Naruto tried to catch a bit of the Uchiha's attempt.
 
“You really… Naruto… great hit… But, uh…”
 
Twitching, Naruto flung his arms into the air. What the hell was he talking about?! He was supposed to be asking Kagome on a date, not chitchatting with her! Did he really think that he would ever hold Kagome's heart in his hand if he could not do a simple little thing?!
 
Frustrated, angry, and feeling the need to beat it into the Uchiha's head that he needed to do what he told him if he even wanted a chance at his oblivious friend, Naruto stomped away from his hiding place. He made sure that each step he took was loud and clear, while his clenched hands flew through the air in a brilliant display of temper. Then, once he was close enough that they could hear him, he shouted, “Ugh!
 
“Naruto?” Higurashi Kagome blinked in surprise.
 
Uchiha Sasuke also blinked, warning bells going off in his head and telling him that Naruto was about to screw up everything.
 
Keeping his attention on the Uchiha boy, Naruto stomped a few times to get his point across. “Seriously?!? This is your attempt! It's not that hard!” he yelled.
 
People along the street stopped and stared. Some merely blinked at the odd sight of Uzumaki Naruto shouting at Uchiha Sasuke and Higurashi Kagome, others wondered what exactly was going on, and most glared outright at the blonde shinobi-in-training for his mere presence. And those that glared took delight in the knowledge that the blonde's outburst would no doubt end with him being dragged to the Hokage's office by an ANBU.
 
Sasuke's eyes flickered to the small crowd. Oh, yes, Naruto was definitely going to ruin everything.
 
Kagome—!” Naruto shouted in demonstration, “—will you go out with me?
 
The street suddenly became very quiet, as Uchiha Sasuke began glaring daggers at the near choking blonde. The crowd watched, though, silently, as the wide-eyed Uzumaki seemed to choke on his own tongue and glance nervously at the girl he had just asked on a date. Whether he meant to or not in his anger.
 
Oh shit. Naruto suddenly wished he could cut his own tongue out, because he had just asked his best friend on a date! And he really did not want to go on one with her if she decided to—
 
“Stop being so silly, Naruto,” Higurashi Kagome giggled, smiling brightly. “I will admit that that was a nice prank, but I've got to go fetch some things for my mother.”
 
Naruto nodded numbly, silently thanking every deity that he could think of.
 
Slowly, the crowd dispersed. The people that had stood to watch returned to their daily lives, leaving the blonde Uzumaki and black haired Uchiha alone in a sea of people that had more important things to do at that moment. And that was more than enough motivation for Sasuke to slam his hand into the back of Naruto's head.
 
“Ow! Hey—!” Naruto began.
 
The dark look in Sasuke's eyes put a stop to his rant before it even began.
 
The Uchiha boy was not amused with his idiocy. Not at all.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
KibaSin: Sorry about the wait. I just realized that I forgot to post this to mediaminer!
 
Kiba