Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Boys Will Be Boys ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven: Boys Will Be Boys
 
Sasuke drew one foot up onto the rooftop with him, bending his knee just enough that he could drape his arm over the appendage. His onyx colored eyes watched the street below him, occasionally catching sight of a restless fan girl searching wildly for him, but his mind was elsewhere. His hand clenched just thinking about it, while his mouth twisted into a small scowl.
 
Damn them.
 
He had been so close. So close. It would not have taken him long to snatch up Higurashi Kagome's heart and hold it close to his own, delighting in the knowledge that he had managed to obtain that which seemed unobtainable. It would not have taken him long at all, he was sure of it—the flare of heat when their hands met told him that much—if his father and damn brother had not decided to show up on the scene.
 
Now, he was thrust back to the drawing board, because his sinister brother and father just had to grip onto his pervious plan and rip it to shreds before his very eyes. He was forced to come up with another plan, even when his last had been so perfect, and he was at a loss on how to proceed. Higurashi Kagome would no doubt be cautious of trying to train with him again, especially near the Nakano River, and he could not think of anything spectacular that would please her and cause her to hand her heart over to him.
 
Now that he thought about it, he supposed he could blame Uchiha Leiko, as well. She was the only other Uchiha in his Academy class, and had, no doubt, told his father of his troubles in ninjutsu class. She had stuck her nose where it did not belong—a good reason for him to cut it off—and ruined his entire plan. After all, his father would have never known about his training session until after he had brought Kagome home with him, declaring to the household that she was the one he planned to spend his entire life with.
 
Damn her. Damn them all.
 
Sighing, Sasuke shifted his attention to the clouds drifting overhead. They helped him think—though, he had only gotten into the habit after seeing Kagome glance upward more times than not—and at the moment he hoped they would help him come up with some other way to quickly get what he wanted. Or at least quick enough that some other shinobi would not have the chance to make Kagome love them.
 
He needed a new plan, desperately, but what could possibly capture Higurashi Kagome's attention when all previous plans had failed? What could possibly be so stunning that she would hand her heart over like it was on a silver platter? What could he possibly do, when she remained oblivious to power and wealth and charm and attention all together?
 
Especially now, when the rest of the Uchiha clan was working against him?
 
Shifting himself again, he leaned himself into his bent leg, and managed to place his chin onto his propped arm. His frustration was rising quickly, while his brain processed through anything and everything that might help him, but none of the possibilities seemed good enough. None of them were completely and utterly full proof—and considering his current track record, that was what he needed and wanted—which meant they were not good enough. They would never be good enough, so his brain moved onto the next possibility.
 
Why did the foolish Higurashi girl have to be so attractive and different? Why did she, the most oblivious girl he had ever come across, have to be so mentally strong and willing to strive forward in order to be better? Why did she have to be everything that he had ever wanted in a wife, when it was clear that she might never see how much he needed her?
 
No. She would see. She would see quite clearly, as soon as he managed to find the perfect strategy. He was just looking at the situation wrong, that was all. He needed to approach her differently, strike her where she least expected it, and then she would be his for the taking.
 
But, the problem still remained: where was that striking point? What amazing thing could he do, either for her or around her, that she would finally open those deep, beautiful blue eyes and see that he wanted to give her the world? What was there that he could do?
 
Sasuke did not know, and at the moment it felt like he would never know. His family had effectively destroyed his perfect moment—the first time that he had been alone with the Higurashi girl away from the Academy—and would no doubt try to ruin every other moment in the future. There was, truly, nowhere that he could hide from the Uchiha clan. So, how would he be able to hide the knowledge—actually, it really should not be all that hard, considering he had been hiding the fact that he liked Higurashi Kagome for so long already.
 
Huffing into the cooling air, Sasuke realized that he should be able to come up with an answer fairly easily. He had watched the girl more than once—almost to the verge of stalking, though he would never say that he, Uchiha Sasuke, had stalked a girl—and knew most of her habits. But, then again, those habits were mostly in the Academy. They were things that could not help him, though piecing them together could give him the big picture on what he should do to capture her attention completely.
 
Really, though, how hard—?
 
Skin brushed against his ear, causing the Uchiha boy to stiffen. He had not sensed the other person, and he cursed, because he should not have gotten so caught up in his thinking that—
 
“Hello, Sasuke-kun.”
 
Oh.
 
The voice breathlessly continued, “What are you doing up here?”
 
Ohhhh.
 
Glancing from the corner of his onyx colored eye, Uchiha Sasuke caught sight of Higurashi Kagome plopping down onto the ledge of the building next to him. She smiled just for him, reaching up to twirl a strand of hair between her fingers, and he gulped at the innocent action. Oh, how could she not realize how drawn his eyes were to that action, despite how much he knew she meant nothing seductive by it? How could she not realize how much he wanted to just look at her, kiss her, and someday touch her the way a husband touches a wife? How?
 
“Are you alright?” she asked, frowning lightly.
 
Sasuke forced down the urge to blush when her hand brushed along his forehead, searching for a fever, while he choked on his tongue. Oh, he had known Kagome was smart—much more than the other kunoichi in their Academy class—but why had she sought him out? Why had she taken it upon herself to come up onto a rooftop just to ask him what he was doing? Especially when the true question should be what she was doing?
 
“You're a little warm,” she muttered, “are you sure you shouldn't be at home, in bed?”
 
Bed? Oh, he would like to be in bed. Just, he would like a few other things to be in that bed with him, even if he could not completely claim what would one day belong to him at the moment. Mainly her. Only her, because no other kunoichi would ever manage to snag his attention the way she had.
 
Suddenly, she huffed, “Are you going to answer me?”
 
“I—” damn his tongue, “I'm fine.”
 
“Well, if you say so,” she smiled back.
 
Watching her, Sasuke was once again bombarded with why the kunoichi-in-training had sought him out. She did not look like she had any true reason to have come to him—and considering how oblivious she was, that was not surprising—and only turned her head toward the suddenly blood red sky. Her smile was bright, so lovely, and the rapidly changing sky only enhanced the internal beauty that she radiated.
 
His mind easily slipped away from the simple question, as Kagome turned toward him once more. He forced himself to look away, knowing that the bright smile on her smile just might cause his tongue to travel down his throat once more.
 
“It's odd, though,” she giggled. “I spoke with Neji-kun earlier and he looked like he could use some rest, too. Though, I suppose that's because he just came back from a mission.”
 
Damn that Hyuuga. Sasuke's eyes narrowed just thinking about the Hyuuga genin that was seeking after Kagome's heart. The fact that he was already making a name for himself in the shinobi world could pose a problem for him, especially with the continuously breathless voice that Kagome had spoken in. The very fact caused a part of him to growl deeply in anger, since it could not be good for him if Higurashi Kagome, most oblivious girl he had ever known, suddenly decided to notice the attention the Hyuuga constantly gave her.
 
Though, then again, she was too nice for her own good.
 
“I wonder if there's something going around,” she sighed. Then, after a pause, she continued, “I sure hope not. Souta will catch it and then that little brat will give it to me. And I really do not need to get sick with the graduation test so close.”
 
Sasuke nodded, the growling beast inside of him making him notice something a little odd himself. He had never known Kagome to speak like she was. She always spoke before she thought, never allowing herself a moment to think about it, yet she seemed to be contemplating every word that came out of her mouth at the moment. And Sasuke, after the realization, wanted to know why.
 
“Oh!” Kagome's face brightened. “Neji-kun said the sweetest thing to me when I saw him earlier!”
 
Onyx eyes narrowing, Sasuke's suspicion rose another notch. The Higurashi Kagome he knew always, always, blushed and tried to skirt around a compliment, believing that there was someone more deserving. She never brought it back up again and only spoke about it if someone else did. So, why in the world would she want to tell him about what Hyuuga Neji said about her?
 
Blushing, the girl raised a hand to touch her face lightly, while she said, “He told me that I have eyes like the midnight sky—so beautiful that he could sink into them and never wish to escape. It was so romantic. I've never known him to say such poetic things.”
 
Staring at her from the corner of his eye, Sasuke was not quite sure if what he was seeing was real or not. He doubted that Kagome would flaunt the fact that he wanted her, needed her, and planned to marry her no matter how many poetic words he spouted in her direction. She might call him sweet and hit him in the arm, but she would not purposely seek out anyone else just to talk about it and throw the fact around. So, if she would not do it when he, Uchiha Sasuke, held her heart, why would she do it when a mere Hyuuga told her some pretty words meant only to seduce her?
 
“That was why I came up here when I noticed you,” she muttered softly, catching his attention completely. “I wanted to know, what do you think of my eyes, Sasuke-kun?”
 
W-what?! Uchiha Sasuke, for the first time in his life, froze completely as Higurashi Kagome's hand lightly touched his arm.
 
She leaned into him, brushing her lips along his ear again. She said, “Are they like Neji-kun said? Like the midnight sky? So beautiful that you could sink into them and never wish to leave?” Pausing, she then said, “Tell me, please. Please, Sasuke-kun!”
 
His suspicion and anger disappeared in seconds, as Sasuke realized this could be his moment. Why did it matter that she was acting a little odd? Maybe she did have a cold? Who knew, as long as he was the one that one day held her love in the palm of his hand! Who cared, as long as he was the one that one day got to touch her daily, create passion between them, and show her how much he needed her!
 
Please!
 
Whipping his head in her direction, Sasuke allowed himself a single moment to gaze into those beautiful, dark blue eyes that he so admired. And he paused in that instant. Wait a minute!?! Those were not Higurashi Kagome's dark blue eyes that he did indeed want to swim in with the knowledge that only he would ever be able to do so! Those—those—oh, his hand clenched just thinking about it, while a smirk slowly formed on his face.
 
The Higurashi Kagome-impersonator tilted `her' head cutely, asking, “Is something the matter, Sasuke-kun?”
 
“You—” Sasuke growled. He would not be fooled like this and allow the other person to get away with it. Especially when the other person was him! “You—”
 
The `girl' backed away, bringing her hand up to her mouth. She asked quietly, “Sasuke-kun?”
 
Swinging his hand back suddenly, Sasuke easily shifted and flung his body weight forward as he punched the `girl' in the face. Then he watched in satisfaction as the `girl' flew away from him, hitting the rooftop hard, and rolling straight into the ledge not far away. Though, his onyx colored eyes turned ice cold as the sound of the transformation ceasing echoed in his ears and the `girl's true form came into view.
 
“Ow! Sasuke-kun, why did you hit me?”
 
Scoffing at the sight of the tears, Sasuke snarled, “You can cut the crap now, dobe.”
 
Naruto stiffened at the word, taking a quick glance down to find that he had indeed transformed back into himself. However, knowing that he would need to make a quick escape, he yelled in a girly voice, “I don't know what you're talking about, Sasuke-kun! I'm—”
 
Shut up,” Sasuke hissed darkly.
 
Frowning, Naruto scowled, saying, “You're no fun.”
 
Fun?” Sasuke so wanted to burn Uzumaki Naruto to a crisp. “Fun?! You think transforming into Higurashi Kagome and parading around the village, doing who knows what, is fun?!?”
 
“Uh, yeah,” Naruto grinned. “Especially when the widdle Uchiha wuves her!”
 
Sasuke's eyebrow twitched in irritation, as his brain slowly registered what Naruto had said. Shit. The idiot knew! How did the idiot know? When had he figured it out and who the hell had told him? Because whoever they were, they were on Sasuke's list of people to torture. However, he spoke quickly to save himself, hoping the blonde was stupid enough to believe him. “Where'd you get that ridiculous thought from? Huh? Tell me, so I can kill them and then you!”
 
Grinning slyly, Naruto muttered, “You might want to tell your brother not to go around stalking the person you want to be your girlfriend.”
 
Itachi? Itachi had been stalking Higurashi Kagome?!? No, no, no!
 
“But, honestly,” Naruto chuckled, “it was rather obvious after I thought about it. I mean, you can't possibly think of hiding something this big from the master of diversion!” Naruto made sure to point at himself, just to jab the point further into the Uchiha's mind. There was no way he was going to trick him into thinking he was wrong.
 
“You're fucking stupid,” Sasuke finally growled. Oh, he could only hope that Naruto did not decide to work against him, since Kagome often times went along with the boy like a puppy dog. “I'm leaving.”
 
The Uchiha only halted when the blonde somehow managed to snag onto his sleeve. Though, he shrugged the hand away as the blonde spoke. “Hey, this isn't funny and you're not going to just walk away from me. I want to know: what do you think of Kagome's eyes?
 
“Why would you want to know something so—?”
 
Don't,” Naruto growled. “Just answer the question truthfully and I'll decide your fate.”
 
Fate?” Sasuke laughed humorlessly.
 
Scowling, Naruto snapped, “Just answer the question!”
 
Sasuke remained silent.
 
“What's the matter?” Naruto growled. “You'd tell Kagome what you think of her eyes, but you won't tell me? The person that could screw up your little plan to try and win Kagome's heart. `Cause it wouldn't be that hard for me to steer her attention in Neji's directi—”
 
“They're beautiful, alright,” Sasuke finally snapped. “There's nothing else to say about them.”
 
Naruto finally paused, staring the Uchiha down, before he dropped his sleeve. “Hm,” he muttered, shifting his head to see the boy from another angle.
 
Sasuke glared back.
 
A long moment went by between the two shinobi-in-training, before Naruto nodded, stating, “Alright, I believe you.”
 
Sasuke blinked, wondering what the blonde's game was.
 
“And,” Naruto patted the Uchiha's shoulder, “I was just kidding about steering Kagome's attention in Neji's direction. He's strong and dashing and husband material, but he's… um, a little too blunt for Kagome. You should have seen all those—” he paused briefly, “—well, anyway, he's definitely not Kagome's type. So, there'd be no reason for me to destroy my friend's life like that.”
 
“Are you going somewhere with this?” Sasuke asked.
 
“I like your approach!” Naruto stated, nodding. “You're actually trying to find something that will make Kagome happy in order to win her heart—”
 
Sasuke could not find a reason to correct him.
 
“—or at least something that will catch her attention,” Naruto continued. “All the other guys out there are just throwing themselves at her, not realizing that Kagome needs someone that will cater to her needs and find out what's wrong when she needs them to! It's horrible! Simply horrible!”
 
Sasuke could only blink, as Naruto jumped up onto the ledge and turned to point at him. He stiffened just slightly, though he was quite confident in his ability to evade and destroy the idiot if he chose to attack. However, he was not expecting what he yelled after a protective gleam rushed through his light blue eyes.
 
“That's why, though I really can't believe I'm saying this,” Naruto declared, “I choose you, Uchiha Sasuke, to be the one that will receive my assistance in winning Higurashi Kagome's heart!”
 
- - - - -
 
KibaSin: Due to the weather around my area of the United States, I was unable to update the last two days, and I'm really sorry about that. But it's flippin' five degrees outside and I had to find my heavy winter jacket before I was even going to THINK about braving that kind of weather. So, I wrote this little (tiny) piece for the end of this:
 
- - - - -
 
Sasuke twitched visibly, gritting his teeth. “You choose me? What am I; some kind of Pokémon?”
 
“NO!” Naruto shouted. “It's a figure of speech, damn it!”
 
“Yeah, sure it is,” Sasuke muttered. Really, choosing him? He could do so much better than some idiot blonde—who could not even perform the shadow clone technique correctly—choosing him as if he was some type of fictional creature from television.
 
BESIDES,” Naruto huffed in outrage, “if I was gonna choose you like that, you'd be named like Sasukemon—oh, wait, that's Digimon. I meant something like Sasuray or Ukeferno or Charsuke or—”
 
The Uchiha boy twitched again.
 
Stomping his foot at the Uchiha's obvious disrespect for the most awesome television show ever created in the history of shinobi everywhere, Naruto thrust his nose into the air. “Besides, out of the entire series, I liked Pikachu the best!”
 
“You would,” Sasuke muttered.
 
“What was that, Sasuke-teme?” Naruto growled.
 
“I said, you would,” Sasuke snapped.
 
“Oh, yeah!” Naruto roared. “You think some other Pokémon is better than Pikachu! Huh? Huh? Bring it, Uchiha twit!”
 
“Actually, I do,” Sasuke challenged him. “I rather like the Luxray from the Pokémon Diamond, and in my honest opinion, it would kick your precious Pikachu's ass!”
 
“Only if you could level it fast enough!” Naruto chuckled like a madman. “Otherwise you'd so be screwed, you—you Luxray lovin' creep!”
 
Suddenly, without warning, Higurashi Kagome popped onto the rooftop. A brilliant grin spread across her face, as she threw her arms around Uchiha Sasuke's neck, stating, “No! You're both wrong! Umbreon and Charizard are the greatest Pokémon in the world!”
 
“Nuh uh!” Naruto shouted.
 
Pouting, Kagome flicked her finger across Sasuke's ear, asking, “You agree with me, don't you, Sasuke?”
 
Blushing lightly, the very happy Uchiha could only nod and say, “Yeah.”
 
“Traitor!” Naruto shouted. “Choosing a girl over your Pokémon!”
 
Sasuke shrugged. He did, after all, have the girl at that moment. Agreeing with her would keep her there, and he was more than happy to do so if that were the case.
 
“Ugh!” Naruto threw his hands into the air, shouting, “You both suck! SUCK!
 
Kagome just stuck her tongue out at him, petting the good little Uchiha's head while he obediently nodded at whatever she said. Oh, yes, she did rule!