Naruto Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Clan of the Moon ❯ A Clan's Duty ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Let me just say that Neiji is one of the HARDEST characters I have EVER had to write. He is a major supporting character (at least in my view of the show/manga) and he is barely seen. I had to literary THINK like him in order to get his character right. I do not like out of character characters, it makes the story non-believable and I like stories that make you think they could possibly happen. I really hope you like this chapter because it took me a LONG time to get it right. I might even change it later.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the Naruto or Sailor Moon series, but the original characters Amera and Gala are MINE!
 
 
 
A Clan's Duty
 
The Hyuga compound stretched as far as the eye could see. A village in its own right, it contained all of Neiji's cousins, aunts, uncles, and all others related to him. It was here that he traveled after the strange meeting with Naruto's mother.
 
It all was illogical. Naruto Uzamaki and Sakura Haruno related? Weren't family members not allowed on the same team? And this story of moon maidens and earth princes…It was all illogical to Neiji Hyuga's strategic mind. Nothing more than a bedtime story told to little kids, that was what it all sounded like.
 
There was one of those…ancestors…that told him to come here. She looked no older than he did but her black eyes showed much age.
 
“Why don't you go to your leader?” She had suggested. “If all of this is just a fairy tale…wouldn't he not know of it?”
 
Hotaru, that was what the others had called her, had spoken truth. Lord Hyuga would have to know of this strange story of theirs and if the Hyuga clan was connected to it. That was how Neiji ended up at the main house hold, asking for his uncle.
 
The leader of the Hyugas came out dressed in his clan robes. The man sat down upon the porch, waiting for Neiji to speak.
 
“Lord Hyuga…” Neiji said. “What do you know of the moon clan?”
 
The leader paused for a brief moment as his eyes widened a bit. He had recognized the name…damn.
 
“What do you know of that name, Neiji?” Lord Hyuga asked carefully.
 
“Hino-san had spoken about it…” Neiji frowned. “She stated it is the clan in which Naruto Uzamaki and Sakura Haruno belong to.”
 
The man frowned. “What else had she told you of it? Tell me everything.”
 
Neiji nodded, reciting the story as it was told to him. It seemed stupid telling such a ridiculous story to his leader; however the man was listening intently. Did this mean he was interested? That all of this was real?
 
Once Neiji had concluded the story, Lord Hyuga closed his eyes.
 
“I have wondered when this day would come.” He stood. “Walk with me Neiji…we need to talk.”
 
Following his uncle, Neiji pondered his uncle's reaction…Was it possible he already knew all of this before hand? Thinking this, Neiji stopped.
 
“You knew Naruto and Sakura were related…” Lord Hyuga nodded at Neiji's statement.
 
“Of course.” He replied. “After all, they are the remains of the clan we have sworn to protect.”
 
That threw Neiji for a loop. His clan swore to protect another clan? For that matter, the clan was Naruto's clan? What did all this mean?
 
“Neiji, have you ever been told of our ancestor?” Neiji shook his head. “She was a great warrior, the carrier of the Byakugon…She was so powerful and frightening, that a mere glance of her ageless eyes would cause the bravest of warriors to beg for mercy. Though she was a teenager, she spoke and moved with great maturity. She was called Hotaru.”
 
Neiji's eyes widened. His ancestor was named Hotaru…Could that very well be the same dark haired girl he had seen at Hino-san's house? It wasn't possible!
“She told us stories of the moon kingdom…of the moon clan…” Lord Hyuga continued. “She said that the moon clan would return someday. And that it would be our clan's duty to protect them.” He frowned. “I was uncertain of the stories myself, Neiji…Until I saw Sakura's mother. The pink hair certainly gave it away.” He guided Neiji to a small house. “Follow me.” The two entered the house which ended up being the clan shrine. Silently, Lord Hyuga guided Neiji to the far wall where a picture was covered by a dark cloth.
 
“Only members of the main household have ever seen this before…Now that I believe you will be a part of it, it is only fair that you see the proof of it all.” He pulled the cloth away and Neiji was met with a picture. “Hotaru painted this picture telling us that this is who we should protect.”
 
The picture was of a blonde haired woman sitting upon a crystal throne, a staff in her hand. On her right was a man with dark hair, on the woman's left…
 
Was a young girl with pink hair and a young boy with blonde hair.
 
“This is the royal family…” Lord Hyuga explained. “The Haruno family is the only family to ever have pink hair…I was not sure of Naruto until I discovered he was related to said family.” Lord Hyuga turned to his nephew, stared hard at the boy. “This is why we exist, Neiji…To protect them, the family of the moon. Do you understand now?”
 
“But…Why me?”
 
“Because only one boy and only one girl of the main household could ever hope to become of the court, Neiji. My daughter, Hinata, knew this…And now you know as well.” The old Hyuga smiled. “It is destiny at work.”
 
Destiny…Destiny was at play here. It was a word Neiji used to understand. Everyone had a destiny before them. It appeared his destiny was linked with Naruto and Sakura's.
 
“Naruto will not need us much…Your duel with him during the exams was proof of that.” Lord Hyuga replaced the black cloth. “However, his cousin will be in great need of us, for only women could ever hope to have the throne.” He stared at his nephew again. “Your duty, Neiji, will be to protect the princess…For someday, the world will change…and she will change it.”
 
Neiji's eyes widened. “Lord Hyuga are you telling me that…”
 
Lord Hyuga slowly nodded his head.
 
“Sakura Haruno, will one day be your ruler.” He walked Neiji out of the shrine house. “People will try and use her to gain power…We must help her choose the right decisions for all. It is our duty.”
 
He meant Sasuke Uchiha and Neiji knew it. Sasuke was part of this as well. Knowing the Uchiha, he will use Sakura's love for him to his advantage. He would also use Naruto as well…this was indeed not good.
 
“You understand the seriousness then…good…Keep Sasuke away from them. Or at least deter him from using them. That is your duty…Can you do this, Neiji?”
 
The young Hyuga paused.
 
“What of Lady Hinata?”
 
Lord Hyuga frowned. “She will not be able to handle this mission, but,” He smiled, “she will prove her worth another way. I know she will be the perfect bride for Naruto.” He stared at Neiji. “The more Hyugas around Naruto and Sakura, the better…That way they, especially Sakura, will be able to choose the correct path. It is up to you, Neiji.”
 
Neiji left the compound moments later, Lord Hyuga's words in his mind. He was very confused as to what to do. He couldn't go against his lord's wishes; that was certain. His mind was working out the details of what he should do, when he had almost collided with the one person his lord told him to protect.
 
“Oh…uh…Sorry Neiji…” Luckily, the pink haired girl had stopped before they could collide. Neiji really hadn't formally met Sakura Haruno before. He had known of her existence when she had battled against Ino in the preliminaries of the Chunin Exams. He deduced from that fight that she was strong, smart, and very determined, so much so that the Hokage had deemed the pink haired girl her apprentice; most impressive.
 
“It is alright.” He raised an eyebrow at her state. She had her hand covering her forehead and held a rather painful look on her face. “Is something wrong?”
 
Sakura shook her head. “No…I'm just late for training.” She sighed. “Look, about that meeting—“
 
“No apologies necessary…All if it though seems other worldly. Wouldn't you agree?”
 
She groaned. “You have no idea…See you later!”
 
He watched her form race away. She was hiding something…what, he wasn't sure.
 
But, he was sure of one thing. It appears she was his charge, at least until she can protect herself from Uchiha's ways.
 
Neiji feared though, that would take quite a long time to accomplish.
 
Meanwhile, Lord Hyuga had witnessed the interaction between Neiji and Sakura with calculating eyes. Yes, he had his nephew's pledge…But…there were some things the boy would learn later on. Going back into the Hyuga shrine, the lord of the clan pushed against the picture of the royal family. The wall moved, revealing another room behind. This room was only known to certain members of the clan…It once held a deep and dark secret.
 
“You did not tell him…Did you?” Lord Hyuga bowed to the voice within the darkness. The ancestor of his clan stepped forward. She was but a mere girl in body, but much older in the mind.
 
“I did not think it was proper for him to know.” Lord Hyuga replied.
 
“Perhaps so…Perhaps not…” Hotaru headed for the exit. “He will understand his and Hinata's duty when it happens. It will happen…Of this I am quite sure…Otherwise I would not have awakened now.” With that she walked out of the darkened room and into the light.
 
Lord Hyuga went to the far wall, where an ancient scroll hung on an old nail over the casket in which Hotaru once rested. This scroll had been written by Hotaru herself long ago…It was a prophecy scroll. The Hyuga lord stared long and hard at the prophecy. Everything made sense now…why he did not have a son, why his eldest daughter and his nephew had the star seeds within them.
 
When the light of the moon is at its dimmest, two shall send the world to hell and back to heaven.
The Knight of Death shall raise his scythe, cleansing the land before him. The Scout of Rebirth shall lower her staff, restoring the land to all its glory. It is only then, only when all is complete, that the clan of the moon shall once again rule with peace and prosperity. This is our destiny, this is our curse and this…is what is to be.
 
 
 
Next chapter: My New Mission