Naruto Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Clan of the Moon ❯ Rebirth ( Chapter 53 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This chapter is a bit different from my others in that it takes everything that's going on into another person's point of view. I wanted to play around with this chapter, just to see how everything would look in a normal person's eyes, so I chose Konohamaru. This chapter was really hard to do, so I hope it turned out well. Tell me what you think! Oh yeah, TWO MORE CHAPTERS TO GO!!!!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the Naruto or Sailor Moon series but all original characters belong to ME!
 
Rebirth
 
Konohamaru had been lucky. He was of the survivors of Konoha and was at the moment living within the safe walls of Suna in a bunker where all the other survivors stayed. Konohamaru hated the bunkers, not because of the cramped quarters, but because of the people living there. He could hear them all the time, blaming the attack on Naruto, day and night. Many wanted the boy dead while others wanted him to just suffer greatly. The young boy couldn't blame his once friend and rival for an attack he didn't really cause.
 
It was weird to him, walking the streets of Suna. These streets were so much different than his once home. The people here could handle the harsh sun over head while Konohamaru had to stop every once in a while for water. Here these people recognized Sakura Haruno as a queen, many calling her the Crystal Queen. Konohamaru had no idea where that came from but the villagers couldn't stop talking about it. He would see storytellers all over telling the story of how Sakura faced the Tanuki head on, alone without fear and saved Suna from destruction. They used the story to help recruit ninja, saying those who followed the queen were following the bravest and strongest of people in the world. The young ninja had no idea if this was a good idea or a bad idea to begin with but at least the stories were interesting to hear.
 
It had been nearly four days since Naruto and the rest left to find the other beasts and stop them from destroying other villages in other lands. There was really nothing Konohamaru could do to help them, after all the Hokage had said it was their mission and theirs alone. So, he took it upon himself to learn whatever he could to find out just what was really going on.
 
He smelt something big, something secret, something that would change the very fabric of the world. It all started when he heard the Suna people and its ninja speak about Sakura as though she were the ruler of the world. That seemed stupid to him, who would want to follow Sakura the hot head anyway?
 
He didn't express his views outwardly because he knew it would cause a stir. These people really respected Sakura and Konohamaru couldn't blame them, after all she supposedly saved their village from utter destruction. Who wouldn't be respected for that?
 
Another day made five in which the `court of the moon' as the people now called them went with the `crystal queen' and more rumors began to spread. Many believed that when Sakura returned she would stay within Suna. These rumors brought more people to believing that they had been chosen to be the new people of the moon. People of Suna began to walk proud and scoff at those who bore the leaf symbol. There were others who were preaching to those of leaf, saying they should become Suna ninja; that they had been spared for the specific purpose of walking with the new queen.
 
These rumors and more were nothing compared to the big one, the largest rumor ever: Sakura was betrothed to the Kazekage. The rumor was that she had chosen Gaara as her future king and not a leaf ninja because those of leaf were not suitable to walk beside her.
 
Konohamaru quite literary laughed at that rumor. Like Sakura was going to marry Gaara of sand! She had the hots for Sasuke! Everyone knew that!
 
On the sixth day, some of the group had returned carrying with them containers which held strange balls of light. They looked beaten and bruised but continued on until they reached the Kaze tower where the containers were kept under lock and key. No one would venture towards them unless they wanted to die. Konohamaru had a good idea what those balls of light were…beasts…
 
Konohamaru had asked the others if they had seen Naruto or anyone else from the Kakashi group and they replied they hadn't. They didn't seem worried though as they exited the hospital while some had to stay overnight.
 
It was on the seventh day…with the moon shining above…that the sky lit with a golden light. People ran out of their houses, confused. Was it the sun? Couldn't be for it was the middle of the night. What had made that strange glow?
 
The Hokage had gone to the Kazekage tower about an hour after the strange aurora happened and hadn't left in a while. When she did come out, a smile was on her face. She addressed the survivors of Konoha and what she said made no sense.
 
“We're going home.”
 
Home? Home!? Had she lost her mind!? Konoha was a crater! Still though they left the safety of Suna, heading for their once beautiful lands. It took a while to get there but as they trudged over that last hill, the most amazing sight befell their eyes.
 
Konoha…
 
It looked as if the destruction had never happened. Buildings were restored, looking shiny and new…the only difference was the large golden tower that had taken the spot of the Hokage tower.
 
Venturing in, the survivors discovered the city to not be the only thing restored. People lined the streets…Konohamaru recognized many…
 
These people had been dead not but a week ago!
 
The Hokage reached the tower where the large team seven stood waiting. Naruto was at the center, Sakura standing next to him. Sai, Sasuke, and Ino surrounded them in a half circle while Kakashi stayed back. Naruto looked different to Konohamaru. He looked more…mature, with a gaze that spoke of wisdom and authority.
 
Tsunade reached them, hugged Naruto then ruffled his hair.
 
“You truly are a hero now, Naruto.” She said with a smile.
 
Said blonde gave a small smile.
 
“I know.”
 
Okay, now Konohamaru KNEW something was up. How the hell could Naruto and Sakura restore an entire village AND bring back to life the people within!? It sounded like they were performing forbidden jutsus or something! Curiosity began to seep into his soul and he couldn't resist its cry. Using all that he had learned at the academy, the brave young ninja snuck into the meeting hall as best he could. Okay, so he only got near the door and they had told him to leave but that didn't back Konohmaru down.
 
It was hard but he climbed, right up to the second story window and went straight in. Knowing exactly where meetings took place, he headed toward the towering door, peeked in.
 
They sat around a table with the Hokage and Gaara, the troupe the Suna villagers called the court. Sitting between the Hokage and Gaara was Naruto and Sakura. Being as quiet as a mouse, the young ninja listened into the conversation.
 
“I'm taking Neji and Hinata.” Naruto announced suddenly, causing everyone to look his way. “The final two beasts belong to them.”
 
Sakura nodded. “Alright, when do we leave?”
 
Naruto shook his head. “You're staying here.”
 
Pause.
 
Sakura jumped from her seat in outrage.
 
“But I'm the only one that can—“
 
“These beasts will kill you, Serenity-chan…” Naruto frowned. “They will…taint you.”
 
Serenity? When did Sakura change her name? This didn't make any sense to Konohamaru but he continued to listen on.
 
The Hokage raised an eyebrow.
 
“Just who are these beasts anyway?”
 
Naruto looked at his hands.
 
“Death…and Rebirth…” He gripped his shirt where his heart beat silently. “I…don't know how to explain it but…Something tells me you can't go this time, Serenity-chan…or you're going to die.” He stood, acknowledge Neji and Hinata. “We leave in thirty minutes.” Then headed toward the door…
 
And was met with Konohamaru's confused eyes.
 
Konohmaru looked at Naruto's form, grinned. “Hey, cool outfit!”
 
Naruto grinned back. “Thanks.” He ruffled Konohamaru's hair like adults used to do to him. “Glad you're still at it!”
 
Konohamaru glared at his mentor, his inspiration. “What the hell is going on!?”
 
His mentor paused, placed his hands on his hips.
 
“Don't worry too much about it alright?” He smiled, genuinely at the boy. “Why don't I give you a mission? I am the future Sixth Hokage anyway.”
 
The boy's mouth dropped clear to the floor. “Wh…What!? Oh that's so cool!”
 
Naruto smiled at the boy's enthusiasm. He was just like Naruto, willing and ready to accomplish any mission given to him.
 
“Naruto-kun…what's going on?” Sakura had approached in all her glory. Konohamaru's eyes grew wide as a blush stained his cheeks.
 
Since when did Sakura Haruno look so…pretty?
 
His mentor clamped a hand around his shoulders.
 
“You see I'm going on a very important mission…” Naruto explained to Konohamaru. “And I would feel bad not knowing my cousin here is well protected.” He grinned at the boy. “I want you to be my eyes and ears while I'm gone. Anything happens to Serenity-chan, you send someone after me, you got that? Even if it's something so stupid as a hang nail, I want to know about it.” Beside him, Serenity rolled her eyes, yet a gentle smile formed on her lips.
 
“Okay!” Konohamaru grinned. “You can count on me boss!” He stood in front of Serenity like a guard would. “No one's coming near Serenity-chan unless they go through me first!”
 
Naruto held a thumbs up at the boy. “That's the spirit!” Then he left, Neji and Hinata not far behind.
 
Konohamaru looked up at Sakura, frowned. “When the hell did you change your name?”
 
Serenity smiled the boy. “It's a long story…” Her eyes watched her cousin, Hinata and Neji walk away. “I hope…they come back safely.”
 
Konohamaru huffed. “You know he's gonna come back! Are you dense or something? What the heck happened?”
 
Serenity chuckled at the boy. “Why don't I tell you a story while you guard me? It'll help calm my worried heart…”
 
As she told Konohamaru the story of her and Naruto's ancestors, Serenity couldn't seem to escape the growing fear in her heart. Her cousin and his guards had gone to fight the final battle alone, she was sure of it.
 
And when they returned…She was going to be queen.
 
 
 
 
Next time: Encasement