Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Beautiful Occurrence ❯ I Want to Know, I Want to Learn - Pregnancy 101 ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Edited by Obscure Omen (Thank you, thank you!!)
Disclaimer: Naruto is © to Kishimoto, a Japanese mangaka.
A SasuNaru story. A slow kind.
There are some warnings in this chapter: spoilers and spoilers!
Chapter 4: I Want to Know, I Want to Learn - Pregnancy 101!
Morning in Konoha was truly a sight to behold. As a village that was situated in a tropical country like Fire country, the weather was always warm and wet throughout the year. It was sunny year-round, which really helped the flowers and plants grow beautifully.
The flowers and plants were always at their best in the morning when they began to bloom as if they were starting to wake up—just like human beings. Even morning dew did nothing to hinder their beauty; in truth, it only helped them look more gorgeous by making them sparkle. If only Konoha was not a hidden village—then she surely could attract more visitors and probably bring in a major income for the village, too.
However, the boy in the bed of one small apartment in this particular village failed to appreciate the beauty today's morning. It wasn't because he didn't appreciate it at all. In fact, he usually felt quite thankful for being able to wake up to a new day and enjoy the lovely scenery—it was a great achievement for fellow shinobi to do that, seeing that their line of work could easily get them killed. Furthermore, he was a nature-lover at heart, which was proved by the many pots of flowers lining his windowsill.
The boy—namely called Naruto—loved to grow plants, nourishing them, watching them grow and bloom. For him—apart from ramen—plants, trees, flowers, forests, wild fruits, and everything with leaves, sticks, twigs, and spores made him happy. Partly because those things were not just “things”—they were his friends: he talked to them, confessed to them, and sometimes even cried to them, too. He grew up alone, and the plants were the only things that had always been there for him.
Another reason might be because the Kyuubi. Everybody knew that the Demon Fox was a wild animal of nature and his habitat used to be the forest before it was caught by human and manipulated. So it was natural for it to want to be near the forest. Indeed, when Naruto was small—before he went to Konoha Academy—and Kyuubi had had a little control over Naruto's young mind, he always wandered, under the Kyuubi's influence, around the forest surrounding the Konoha village.
At that time, Naruto was probably more familiar with the forest than anybody else—he knew what could be eaten and what was dangerous and learned how to survived by instinct. Luckily for the boy, that was one of the few things that let him survive his childhood without somebody watching over his well-being.
 
Yet, today those feeling were totally lost on Naruto. Although he was lying on his bed, seemingly asleep, in actuality, he had already been awake for awhile now—he normally woke up at this time of day to train anyway. He just didn't want to wake up. Period.
Because today, for obvious reasons, he was not feeling very grateful to be awake.
Today, he just wanted to play dead and bury himself in his blankets. If it was possible, he never wanted to wake up again.
For today was a dreadful day during which he had to do a dreadful thing that made him dreadfully low in spirit.
And stay in bed he did, because two hours later, he was still in bed, moping. The only difference now was that the day was getting brighter, and he felt a tad bit nauseous. He had been like this for a few days now and was already familiar with the pattern. Almost every morning after his breakfast, he would feel queasy and end up throwing up his breakfast. For Naruto, that was just a waste of his precious ramen and thought nothing more of it. It never crossed his mind that it might have something to do with his pregnancy.
Well, it was not his fault for being so clueless. For a shinobi like him who had just been discharged from the hospital, being nauseous for a day or two was a common condition. The chakra transfers, medicines used, and loss of blood during treatments could do that to people. That was why Naruto really didn't have any concern for the matter. And nobody could blame him for not realizing that the nausea attack had been going on longer than normal, either. He had too much on his mind these last few days to notice this abnormality. Then again, he didn't even realize the other, more obvious abnormalities: He ate a lot more, became tired easily, and had those anger attacks.
Understandably, he might not realize he ate a lot than usual just because he ate a lot normally. Though he did notice that he was easily tired, he was not complaining about it and easily put the blame on his distressed state. On the other hand, he was kinda grateful for being tired. Tiredness was a welcome state for getting a good night's sleep, which was what he needed to stop thinking for a while. However, he was somewhat aware of his anger outbursts that seemed to happen for no reason whatsoever, especially the incident with Kiba at Ichiraku's. Still, that mutt-face deserved it. Oh yes, he deserved it, and somehow that made the eruptions of anger worthwhile.
Another bout of nausea hit him. He knew he needed to get out of bed, run like hell to the toilet in ten seconds flat or risk throwing up in his bed, which was not a real option.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6...
Uwekkk. That was the disgusting sound of Naruto throwing up in the sink. He looked at the contents of the sink—a clear, liquid substance—and turned on the tap to let the water wash it all away. Scooping some water into his hands, he splashed it on his face. The cold water managed to make him feel more awake.
Che, so much for staying in bed forever. I hadn't even had my breakfast this time.
Naruto unknowingly cracked a little smile. He was a bit glad that he had to dash to the toilet, because only God knew how long he was going to mope around if he wasn't forced out of bed. Now that he finally awake, Naruto felt that finishing his daily routine was the right thing to do: shower, breakfast, watering plants, and some light exercises.
After finished grooming himself, Naruto didn't know what else to do. Yes, he knew he had to do what he promised he would do last night, but goddamnit, he didn't know where to start. Honestly, nobody expected a young boy like Naruto to know anything about abortion.
Do I have to stab my stomach with kunai?
Or—or do I have to drink poison?
And the most important question was:
Is it gonna hurt?
Naruto sighed. Making the hard decision was bad enough. Now that he had the solution, he had no idea what to do about it.
Maybe I should start with the drug store.
Which sounded like a brilliant plan—surprising, since Naruto rarely came up with brilliant plans like that. This showed exactly how distressed and desperate he was; only desperate people could produce extraordinary ideas (sometimes), or, in Naruto's case, a brilliant plan.
Making up his mind with that, he began to make his way to the nearest drug store, albeit very slowly. If he absolutely had to do this thing which he truly detested, he might as well take his own sweet time. No need to rush for evil things.
Naruto sighed again and suddenly laughed. Laughed? That did not sound right.
Eh, what is tickling me?
He laughed again, this time quite loudly, making passerby look at him strangely.
“What—hahaha—the hell? Hahahahha…” Naruto tried to be angry despite his laughing and searched fervently under his shirt for the source of the tickling.
Ah ha. Found it!
It was one of Tsunade's slugs! Or maybe it was someone else's; he couldn't really tell. The thing might just be a random caterpillar or—or a worm. Eww. Heck, he didn't know. Who could tell the difference anyway? He sure couldn't!
With a manly cry of “Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”, he threw the slug lookalike to the ground, feeling slightly disgusted at the idea of it really being a worm. Crouching down to the thing, he took a closer look. To his relief, it was a slug, and, judging by the colour and the way that thing seemed to glare at him, he knew it must be one of Tsunade's.
He picked the slug back up and put it on his palm, considering for a minute whether he should talk to this slug in the middle of a busy street.
To hell with everything! Baa-chan must have something important if she had to use this thing to get me.
“So, what are you doing in my shirt, huh? Don't tell me it was something perverted!”
“Stupid. Boy.” The slug slurred through each word with a high-pitched voice.
“Hey, you really can talk!”
Ignoring Naruto's stupid exclamation, the slug continued, “Hokage. Meet. Now.”
“Really? Now? Oh, man! Sorry, but I have somewhere to go now.” Naruto started to move to his original destination when he heard a loud, high-pitched voice from his palm.
“Hokage. Meet. Now!”
“Look, I'll go there after I'm finished with my thing, okay?”
“Hokage. Meet. Now!!” The slug was screeching now.
“Okay, okay, I'll go. Stop screeching; my ears hurt.”
They both “poofed” to the Hokage tower.
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
Upon reaching the Hokage tower, Naruto was shocked to see Kakashi-sensei and Sakura already there. He almost didn't notice Tsunade sitting behind her desk, working on some paperwork and progressed to greet both of his teammates loudly.
“Sakura-chan!! Kakashi-sensei!! What are you guys doing here? Are you okay already? When were you discharged? Why didn't I know about this? Eh, where is Sai?” Naruto questioned, all the while trying to hug Sakura only to be pushed away by her violently. Disappointed, he turned to Kakashi-sensei to do that in return and received a fatherly hug from the man.
“Sai has something to do right now. And if you try that again, I'll crack your skull. Got it?” Sakura answered at the same time, threatening him if ever dared to try that kind of act again.
“Hahaha… Sorry, Sakura-chan. I was, er… excited. You might not believe me, but I missed you guys.” Naruto grinned stupidly, but everybody could see that he was genuine about it. What he didn't know was that the others probably felt the same. They were just thankful that they got out from the encounter with Itachi alive.
“Hmm hmm.” Tsunade cleared her throat, catching the others' attention.
“Eh…Baa-chan, you are here. Ahaha, I didn't notice you for a second there.” The blonde replied while scratching the back of his neck, feeling a bit embarrassed about not noticing the Hokage in his excitement.
“Well, if you came here properly and knocked the door, you probably would have.” Tsunade straightened her back, trying to look intimidating in front of the rude boy.
“Yeah, whatever, old hag. Why did you call me here? And what the hell was with the slug?! Her voice is just plain irritating.”
Tsunade glared at Naruto. This boy was always trying her patience, but she needed to be calm. It would not do to lose her cool in front her subordinates.
“Well, I have a mission for you all. As for the slug, I don't have any available assistant right now. We are all up to our necks in work from the Chunin exam.”
There was three seconds of silence before Naruto shouted, “What mission? Sakura-chan and Kakashi-sensei just recovered. We can't be on a mission right now. And—and, like you said, we need people for the exam.”
All the people in the room looked at him strangely. Naruto was the last person they would expect to reject a potential mission
“Are you rejecting a mission?”
“Huh? No, I just…. No, never mind. Just tell me what the mission is.”
With a defeated sigh, Naruto plopped himself onto a nearby couch, readying himself for the mission briefing. It looked like he had no choice but to take the job, which meant that he had to wait for another day to pay a visit to a drug store. Moreover, Kakashi-sensei and Sakura had just recovered from their injuries, which made Naruto a little wary at the prospect of accepting the mission.
“Well, the mission is for you three is to go to the Field village in Grass country and catch that thieves that have been bothering the villagers there.”
“What the...”
“Let me finish, brat. The Grass country villagers are civilians, and they don't have the confidence or skills to catch the thieves themselves. And they really do need our help right now, because the thieves have started to become more aggressive.”
A pregnant silence filled the room. Everybody was contemplating the seriousness of the mission.
“Wait, can't you give this mission to any Genin team? This mission is not that hard. Those two have…….. Ohhhhh, wait. I know. You don't want me here during Chunin exam, right?”
“Naruto.” Tsunade sighed pitifully.
Naruto knew it was true, when she said Naruto's name that way that never meant good news.
“Don't you `Naruto' me!” the boy said, suddenly feeling emotional—if he listened to himself right now, he would realize that he sounded just like an angry wife.
“I didn't even do anything this time!” he continued, still feeling a bit betrayed by Tsunade's intention.
“I know. This has nothing to do with that. I just want you to be away for awhile until the Chunin exam ended.”
“Why? I—“
“There's a lot of commotion about…hmm… How should I put this…safety precautions, and, as Hokage, I need to make this Chunin exam run smoothly. It will only take a few days, after all. But most importantly, I want you to be safe, Naruto.”
Looking straight at Naruto, Tsunade concluded her explanation, unaware that she failed to keep her worry from showing from her eyes. She knew this couldn't be easy for Naruto, but she really hoped he would wise up this time and understand her reasoning. This mission was her way to keep Naruto safe from the negative receptions from outsiders that would come to the Chunin exam. Even though it looked like she was playing favourites by doing this, she didn't want to lose another precious person. Naruto was the only one she had after Jiraiya di…No, no. She still has not confirmed the news yet and that would have to wait. Now, she needed to persuade Naruto to leave first.
“I—,” Tsunade tried to continue when Naruto cut her off.
“Alright, Baa-chan. I understand. Thanks for your concern, but you really didn't have to, you know. I can take care of myself. I'm the great Uzumaki Naruto-tebbayo!” the blonde boy said, trying to decrease the tension radiating from Tsunade. He was also a bit touched by Tsunade's concern for him and would've started to cry for no reason if not for Kakashi-sensei's question.
“When do we have to go?”
Drawing in a deep breath, Tsunade steadied herself before replying, “I need you to go this afternoon. All the details about the mission are in this scroll. Remember to destroy it afterward. Now, leave. I have a lot to do. Go!”
90000000000000000000000900000000000000000000000900000000000000009
 
The journey to Grass country took them almost three days of walking, which was longer than normal for such a trek. On the first day, Sakura and Kakashi-sensei still had nausea from their treatments, so they had to stop once in a while for that—well, Naruto had nausea, too, but that went unnoticed since he only felt sick in the morning when everybody else was still asleep. They also had to stop frequently to rest because Sakura and Kakashi-sensei still were not in their top condition.
By the second day of the journey, they just had to stop to rest—Sakura and Kakashi-sensei had stop vomiting, which ironically made Naruto worried because he didn't. Not wanting to make his teammates worry, he just kept quiet about it. The third day, Sakura and Kakashi-sensei were back to their top condition. They reached Field village near sunset and decided to stay at a nearby motel.
The very next day found them at the outskirts of the village. From the scouting that Kakashi-sensei did alone last night (“You kids go to sleep. It's adult time right now”), it was obvious that these thieves were not ordinary thieves. They moved in groups and had their own leader to conduct their activities, which dubiously sounded like bandits. And bandits almost always stayed inside a forest or near a hill for their headquarters. Not surprisingly, the Field village was a really strategic place for that: The village was surrounded by a hilly forest, for God's sakes!
After much sneaking around and movement-reading, Naruto reported to his teammates that they were about 20 something bandits and if they wanted to take all of them down, they better do it at night with the help of sleeping gas or something of that nature. Kakashi, being the leader of the mission's team, agreed with Naruto's observations and ordered them back to the village to get prepared. They would get back to work in two days; more investigation was needed to determine the bandits' strength, and acquiring the sleeping gas required time, too.
On the night of the operation, Kakashi carefully crept near the headquarters's opening to throw the sleeping gas bomb. The bandits, being the brash bunch that they were, never expected this kind of attack. They might have been very skilled in handling weapons such as daggers, swords, and knives, but they didn't know anything about strategy-based attack. So, not expecting such an ambush attack, they didn't have time to defend themselves and slept like logs after a few seconds of breathing in the gas.
Well, the mission sure was easy; all the bandits in the cave were down, and the shinobi began to tie them up only to find out there were five bandits missing. It was too late to hide when these five arrived and saw them tying up their mates. With a war cry, the bandits lunged to attack, and they quickly engaged the ninja in battle.
The fight was easy enough, simply because they were shinobi and the bandits were not. They could use cool jutsu, but the bandits only had steel weapons. Yet, Naruto, in his over-emotional state of excitement, managed to get slashed. On his stomach. Frozen for a moment, he looked at his bloodied shirt and, all of a sudden, started to freak out. Staring angrily at his attacker, he killed him with a single swipe at the neck.
Kneeling down on the ground, he desperately tried to wipe away the blood, hoping it would make his stomach somehow heal. After wiping for some time, he began to whisper hysterically to himself.
I can't get it off. I can't get off. Get off, stupid blood. Get off!
Noticing Naruto's weird reaction over a small cut, Sakura went to him.
“What's wrong, Naruto?”
“Sakura? Help me! The blood won't come off. My stomach. They hurt my stomach.”
“Let me see.” Sakura tried to be professional despite being a bit agitated by Naruto's over-reaction. She lifted his shirt to find a long cut across his stomach, but it was not deep enough to be fatal.
“It's just a small wound. Don't—”
“You don't understand! They hurt my stomach. It's bleeding!”
“Naruto, calm down. If you move so much, I can't heal you.”
“No, no. I can't calm down. It's bleeding! I—I… Zzzz.”
“Did you have to do that?”
“Kakashi-sensei! This idiot won't stay still; I had to put sleeping jutsu on him.”
“Is he really hurt?” Concern laced his voice.
“No, not really. The wound is already healing, too. He doesn't need to freak out like that.”
“Now, now. Don't be so mad. He's probably just tired. Hmm… Who is going to carry him back to Konoha, then?”
“Oops, I forgot about that. But you don't expect me to carry him, do you, Kakashi-sensei? I'm a girl! I can't carry him. It's not appropriate!”
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
Naruto woke up to a rhythmic beat of a tap-tap sound.
Huh, where am I?
When he opened his eyes, all he could see was silver hair.
“Kakashi-sensei?” he asked groggily. How long had he been asleep?
“Ah, Naruto. You awake. Can you walk now?”
He was on Kakashi-sensei's back! Apparently, Kakashi-sensei had carried him on his back while he was fast asleep.
“Yeah, I guess so. I would want you to put me down even if I couldn't.”
“Maa maa. Don't be embarrassed. You have nothing to be embarrassed about with me. I've seen it all.” If it wasn't dark, one would see Kakashi's eyes lighted up with glee.
“Ewwww. Don't say something weird, you perverted old man! Someone might misunderstand.”
Kakashi just grinned. He loved teasing his student; nowadays, that was his motivation of life. It was a privilege that came from being a teacher.
“Where's Sakura-chan?”
Naruto asked when he discovered that she was not with them, all the while feeling his stomach for the previous injury. He heaved a huge sigh of relief when he realized that his stomach had stopped bleeding.
“She's going back to the Field village to inform their leader about the bandits. She will catch up to us soon,” Kakashi answered Naruto, his tone now serious.
“Are we heading back to Konoha?”
“Yeah, we are. We can't afford to wait any longer. This mission has taken longer than it should have, and the Chunin exam has ended, too. We should hurry back, or the Hokage will blow a lid.”
Naruto chuckled.
“Yeah. Let's.”
I have something to do in Konoha, too.
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
The debriefing of the mission was a breeze, and now Naruto was back in his apartment. After cleaning himself, he lay on his bed—only in his boxers—staring at the ceiling. If he was still uncertain about his decision concerning the pregnancy before, now he didn't have any speck of doubt about it—he definitely, definitely sure he COULDN'T kill the baby. Now that he decided to keep it, he had started to call it “baby”—not just as a nameless creature like before.
The panic attack he felt when the bandit slashed his stomach was a sure indication that he couldn't bear to lose this new life inside of him. He felt like he might die along with the baby if it did die at that time.
But the decision to keep the baby was not what made him unable to sleep now. The dilemma was about how to have a baby and how to raise it. Where should he start? He didn't know anything about raising a baby. Heck, he didn't know anything about pregnancy, either.
Naruto could feel a headache coming on. This baby was not even born, and yet he already had a headache about it.
I need to know about pregnancy; I need to learn on how to raise a baby. Shit, I just can't ask anyone It would be too suspicious. Hmm, maybe I can learn to be a mother by learning more about women?
Naruto scoffed at the idea of learning about women, but he knew he had to do it.
Then, maybe I should go to the city's center and watch them. Hopefully I can learn something from there.
That was probably not the best of ideas, but hey, a guy's got to start somewhere, right?
90000000000000000000000009000000000000000000000000009000000000
 
He was early, was in a good spot, and had the best view of the busiest street of Konoha—all the rules for a good spy, or, in Naruto's case, educational observation. Since 9:00 AM he had been there, watching the women on the street talking, socializing, buying stuff, and some of them even taking care of kids that they brought with them. And, of all those women, his eyes were focused on a particular pregnant woman in a green dress with two children. She was holding the hand of one child and carrying another one in her arms so easily.
What made Naruto so interested in watching her was her way of handling her kids. At one point, the toddler that was holding the lady's hand threw a temper-tantrum because she wasn't allowed to buy the toy in a nearby display. This, in turn, made the younger child in the lady's arms cry, too—just like a chain reaction.
For Naruto, who had never handled a kid before, this kind of situation was like a horrible disaster, especially since it was in the middle of the street like this. But the woman—like she had done this her entire life—bent down to the toddler's level and calmed her down smoothly with just words! The baby in her arms calmed down soon afterward. After that, like nothing had happened, they continued strolling around the town.
Deciding that this woman was a perfect mother for a model, he followed her around, watching her every step—Naruto even thought of following her home just to watch what she did daily as a mother. He was cut off from his thinking process when the mother in question turned and stared suspiciously at him.
“What are you trying to do, young man, following me around like this? I'm not comfortable with it. If you have anything to say, say it now.”
“Well, I just was, er… watching, I guess. Nothing more.” Feeling a little bit awkward that he was caught watching, Naruto just grinned foolishly.
“As you can see, I already have two kids and am married.” She showed him her ring. “So I would appreciate it if you stopped trying to flirt with me.”
“What? No, no. I—I just—” Naruto tried to explain.
“Go find someone else. Goodbye, and if you follow me again, I will report this to your superior,” she said with an indignant huff.
After the lady and her two kids walked away, Naruto was left standing there, stupefied. He honestly didn't know how “that” was flirting and quickly fled the scene when he noticed people staring at him—they must have seen what had happened just a few minutes ago.
Maybe watching people like that was not a good idea. I need to do something else.
Ah-hah! One could see a light-bulb turn on in his head.
Speeding down the street like his life depended on it, he sprinted to the hospital—or, more specifically, to the maternity ward. He couldn't believe that he didn't think about this first. What better way to learn about pregnancy and giving birth than to see it yourself?
The first thing he did when he arrived at the maternity ward was make himself as unnoticeable as possible—he walked quietly and hid his face by looking down all the time. Another embarrassing scene like what had just happened in the city's center was the last thing he wanted.
Right, where to go first? Yup, the delivery room-tebbayo!
Naruto wandered the corridors blindly in search for the delivery room. There were a lot of empty chairs along the corridors, only some of them occupied. People who sat on them almost always had a large stomach. Naruto couldn't help but stare at them.
Will I be like that too?
He stopped staring when the pregnant women threw him dirty looks and continued wandering the corridors until he saw a room with a big glass window for display. It was the only room there that had a big window like that—it was the baby room! From outside, one could see that there were a lot of babies inside—all of them were bald and red-faced with very tiny fingers.
Wow! They are so cute, and—and I can't believe I have one in my stomach.
Naruto plastered himself onto the transparent glass, unable to take his eyes off the cute creatures sleeping in the room. His eyes started to water as a surge of warm feelings flowed through his entire body.
Too absorbed in this new emotion, he forgot his plan to be as unnoticeable as possible and attracted people's attention. He didn't even notice a presence lurking near him.
“It's you again! What are you doing here? Do you have some kind of weird fetish? Do you get excited by looking at pregnant women or something? Don't tell me you came here to peep on pregnant women.”
Naruto turned to the voice yelling at him and instantly recognized her. It was the lady in the green dress with two kids—but now she was without her kids.
“No!! You're wrong, lady. I just came to watch! Honest! I swear! I won't do anything like peeping or something sick like that.”
“Watch, you say? Watch what? People giving birth?”
“Err… Yeah, if I can find the right room…” Naruto replied uncertainly, a bit scared when he saw the murderous eyes of the woman.
“Oh my God! You are a sick, sick young man. Nurse! Security! Please keep this boy away from the maternity ward!”
Oh shit!
Naruto ran like hell from the hospital—it looked like he needed to find another method to learn about pregnancy and all that jazz.
90000000000000000000009000000000000000000000000090000000000000000 009
 
The next morning, Naruto was more determined than ever to learn—being accused of being a pervert and being chased down by security guards were just small obstacles in the process. He wouldn't back down that easily—this was his way of ninja-tebbayo!
He started his day by training as usual, showering, eating cups of ramen for breakfast, and talking to his plants, and he was set to go; if only he knew where to go. Although he was determined, he really had no idea where to start today, so he decided to roam the streets aimlessly until he thought of one.
On his aimless walk, he noticed people were looking at him weirdly like he was some kind of sick pervert or something. Oh, wait. Maybe he was. After all, when the security guards were chasing him yesterday, they shouted, “Catch that pervert!” so loudly that Naruto was sure that Gaara could hear it.
He sighed. What a mess. Yet another reason on the list for why people stare at him—he might as well put a paper bag over his head to hide from their eyes. Naruto was seriously contemplating doing just that when he suddenly felt a familiar movement under his shirt.
Tsunade's slug!
“What do you want?” he asked the slug, not bothering to take it out this time. If that thing wanted to stay there, it could stay there. He didn't care anymore.
“Hokage. Meet. Now.”
“What does she want now?”
“Hokage. Meet. Now.”
“Jeez. Don't you know how to say anything else?”
“Hokage. Meet. Now.”
Naruto rolled his eyes at the slug's antics—he knew that damn slug could talk more than that—and teleported to Hokage Tower.
The blond boy busted into the room without knocking as usual, much to Tsunade's dismay.
“So, why do I have to be here today? I know you don't have any missions for me because my team is unavailable as you put it.” Naruto stressed the word “unavailable” by using his two fingers to imitate quotations.
“How many times do I have to tell you to knock, brat? Where are your manners?” A hint of warning was in her voice.
Leaning back on her chair, Tsunade irritably looked at the boy who dismissed her warning with flaps of his hand. When she got no answer from Naruto, she continued, “Speaking of manners, I heard something `not nice' about you yesterday. Something to do with `harassing' pregnant women? Care to explain?”
Tsunade stressed the words “not nice” and “harassing” to get Naruto's attention, since he had begun to play with his chair.
At first, she didn't believe the complaints she received about Naruto harassing random women on the street—he was such an innocent and naïve boy—but when she thought about who his senseis were, the possibility was there. Poor, poor, innocent Naruto. What did those perverts teach him?
Naruto turned red from embarrassment. Somebody made a complaint to the Hokage about him harassing women?
“What? No!! I was… errr... They were….err…I just—”
“Oh, Naruto-kun, you don't have to explain.” Tsunade grinned slyly. “I know young boys your age have, er… certain `urges.'”
“Hey!!” he said loudly, a bit flustered by the accusation, “You are wro—”
“But you can't do this, Naruto. You have a reputation to hold as the future Hokage candidate.”
“Like I told you, you are wro—”
“So, as a punishment, you have to reorganize the files in the Hokage's archive. Treat it as your training to be a Hokage.” Tsunade finished her speech as if she didn't hear Naruto speaking.
“Don't cut me off like that! Listen to me, I said I just…. Eh, wait, did you say punishment?”
“Indeed. You can start today at 9:00 AM, and you are not allowed to leave until 6:00 PM. Understand?”
“That's not fair. Those damn files are yours. You do it! Don't try to slack off, you hag.”
Tsunade smiled menacingly.
“Do you want to do D-class missions for a month?”
“I'll do it, Hokage-sama. Your order is my command,” was Naruto's immediate response.
“That's a good boy. Now go start your work. I'll send someone to bring you lunch later.”
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
I swear that old hag just wanted to bully me. Hokage training, my ass! What good will these stupid files do for me?
Naruto was still fuming when he reached the archive and still was, even after two hours of organizing. Deeming that he had the right to take a rest after two hours of non-stop working, he sat on a comfy chair facing a book-rack. Immediately, a book title caught his eyes: Pregnancy and Post-Pregnancy; All You Need to Know. Boy, was he a lucky one. This was just the thing he needed in his life right now.
And so, he read the book—completely abandoning the task he was supposed to do. Along with his reading, he started to understand the abnormalities that were happening to him little by little.
No wonder I was angry all the time. And—and the throwing up. And the tiredness. And the crying.
Naruto scratched his head.
But the throwing up should only start about two to three weeks after, er… conceiving. Something is not right here. What else has the demon been hiding from me?
But he decided to worry about that later, because he wanted to finish reading this book. Besides, the vomiting had stopped.
By the time he had his lunch, he had learned the dos and the don'ts of pregnancy, which left him with a list of things to do: He needed to eat more vegetables (he could live with that), couldn't drink any alcoholic beverages (he never had any anyway), needed to avoid strenuous activity (hmm, that might be a problem), needed a new wardrobe, apparently (he would be much bigger than now, and his normal clothes wouldn't fit anymore), and lots more.
Heh! This is not that bad. I can do this.
Naruto was full of confidence until he came to the delivering chapter. First, his face turned blue, soon switching to green. After a while, it turned blue again, and he started foaming in the mouth.
How? That's impossible, right? This is just—just fiction. Yes, fiction. There's no way a baby can come out from a hole four, no, six… No, not six, ten times smaller than the baby itself?! And—and I don't even have that freaking hole to begin with!
Naruto blushed hotly when he realized that he was thinking about a—a very private part of the human body. He couldn't believe himself. Had he become a pervert now like everybody believed?
Naruto absently shook his head.
No, he had not! He was just learning. Yes, learning. This was a process of learning. It was based on noble thoughts, not perverted ones.
Is this for real? Oh shit.
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
At 6:00 PM when Tsunade came to call him off, Naruto had become a walking zombie—he was too shocked about what he read, and, even worse, all of the scary facts and gory truths would be imprinted in his mind for life. He sure he would have nightmares from this.
With a “Thank you for the meal, Hokage-sama,” he absentmindedly walked out of the room and went home.
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
It took Naruto the rest of the evening and a good night's sleep to break the zombie-like state he was in. And today was a fresh start to Naruto. Sure, he was still shaken from reading the book yesterday, but he had learned to accept the shocking truths overnight. It was human nature, after all.
Also, starting today the Hokage was not his ultimate hero anymore. Yes, he had a change of heart. His ultimate heroes now were mothers, and no, it was not stupid at all. Mothers went to hell and back to deliver their babies through a hole ten times too small. And the most amazing thing was that they lived to tell the tale!
So, today he planned to visit one of his heroes—Kurenai-sensei. She just gave birth to a baby boy about a month ago, or at least Naruto was told. Yay, double joy! He got to meet his hero—and her baby—and he could learn something from her, too.
As expected, Kurenai-sensei was at home—she was off-duty for three months. She was not very surprised to see Naruto at her doorstep, even though Naruto was not a close acquaintance of her. She has received a lot of visitors lately who came to see the newborn baby—Naruto was just one of them.
The baby in question was sleeping in his crib when Naruto came, all wrapped up in a blanket with his hands fisted.
“What is his name?” Naruto asked to start a conversation.
“Asuma. Sarutobi Asuma.”
“Oh, it's nice,” he replied, noticing a tint of sadness in the woman's voice when she answered him.
A long silence engulfed them. It was awkward; neither knew what to say to each other.
I have to say something. Anything!
“So, was it painful?” he blurted out.
Shit. Why did I have to say that?
“Excuse me?” Surprised by the question, Kurenai-sensei turned to face Naruto, who was fidgeting badly in his seat.
Fuck it. Just ask her.
“I meant the delivery. I heard it was very painful.”
“Oh, that.” Kurenai chuckled and continued, “It was painful indeed. I felt like I was torn in two… like—like I was dying, only I was still alive. I have never felt such pain like that before, and I surely don't want to experience it again.”
This time she laughed out loud like she was talking about a happy experience instead of a painful one. Naruto swallowed nervously. He was beginning to pale.
“Was it really true? You are not joking, are you? Then—then how come you still wanted to give birth?”
“Naruto-kun, you don't understand.” She tapped Naruto's nose as a way of reprimanding him. “Yes, it was very painful, but, in the end, it was worth it. I have a son to call my own now.”
As if the baby knew they were talking about him, he started to wail. Kurenai-sensei picked him up and started to rock him back and forth to calm him down. The baby gradually stopped crying, but now he was wide awake. With unfocused eyes he stared at the stranger that he was meeting for the first time. Realizing that the baby was looking at him, Naruto froze for a while—that warm feeling was back.
“Do you want to hold him?”
“Huh? I can?” Naruto was caught by surprise. He had never held a baby before, but he was itching to hold the baby.
“Sure you can. Here.” Kurenai-sensei handed the baby to him. “Just make sure you hold the head; Asuma-chan can't hold his head up himself yet. Yes, like that. Careful, okay?”
“He—he is soft, and he smells nice, too,” Naruto said in a small voice. He was in awe and even more so when the baby moved his hands to grab his finger.
“Ano sa, Kurenai-sensei,” Naruto called without lifting up his head from looking at the baby, “Can I come again sometime?”
The new mother just smiled. She didn't know why Naruto was so interested in babies, but hey, she needed all the help she could get. Being a single parent was not easy, and if somebody was willing to come and keep her company, she was grateful.
“Sure. Anytime you'd like.”
So, for almost two weeks, Naruto made it his routine to visit Kurenai-sensei and the baby. Now, he could already handle the baby alone if he wanted to, which made him very proud of himself.
His lack of missions was a blessing as well. He was not really sure why his team was busy. According to Tsunade, Kakashi-sensei was sent to do some scouting mission on a missing person—she couldn't tell him more than that—while Sakura was busy with her training at the hospital. So that left him with nothing to do—sometimes he got D-class missions, and once received a C-class mission during this period. Well, he wouldn't complain about it. Instead he felt relief that he didn't get any high-class missions. It was too risky for his pregnancy.
And talking about risky, he had thought long and hard regarding that. At the conclusion of his thoughts, he decided that he wouldn't have his baby here in Konoha.
90909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090909 0909090
 
Okay, that's it for chapter 4; sorry for the delay.
Next up,
Chapter 5: A Runaway Mum