Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Better Start ❯ A Better Plan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I have been a fan of Naruto Fan fiction for a while now and decided to try my hand at making one myself.
 
I have the story pretty much planned out already so I don't think that there is going to be much of a voting system going on in this story. But, since I'm new at this I will take any and all criticism and try to make this story more enjoyable for you, the viewer. I may however, have a vote on how the characters progress or what adventures the gang goes through in life.
 
-Disclaimer- I own nothing. Really, I don't. I'm only saying…typing this once so that it doesn't get repetitive.
 
The character descriptions that I have changed are on my profile. With pictures since I feel that it makes it easier to visualize a character if there is a picture, even if my characters will be slightly different than the photos, it still should help.
 
 
-Author comment-
“Speech”
`Thought/ Inner Persona (I.E.: Inner Sakura)'
(Number)= Jutsu or story detail that I will clarify at the bottom of every chapter if I need to.
“Demon/ Summon talking”
`Demon/ Summon thinking'
If I need to use something more down the line of the story then I will state it there.
 
 
Well, on with the show!
 
Today had not been a normal day for one Uzumaki Naruto. He was used to the normal glares of hatred, and the occasional case of being ignored. These two things had been the general reactions that he got from the villagers of Kohoha. With the exception of his precious people like old man Hokage, old man Ichiraku and his daughter Ayame, and last but not least was Iruka-sensei.
But no, today was much different. Starting with an early meeting with the Hokage.
-Flashback-
The wizened Sarutobi sat behind his desk smoking his pipe after finishing this hour's mountain of paperwork. He had been contemplating what to do about the information he has been steadily receiving from the Academy since he came back into office after the Yondaime passed away.
`Damn you Arashi! Why the hell wouldn't you let me do the sealing? I could have done it, then you would be taking care of this village. I'm too damn old for this. I haven't gotten to spend any quality time with my books lately either.'
Sarutobi was broken from his train of thought when the door was loudly opened and a teenager, about 12 years of age, walked into his office. This teenager was wearing the Konoha Academy uniform on, which he noticed was also including the black over shirt that most boys decide not to wear. This was his adopted grandson so he wouldn't punish him for entering without his permission. Naruto Uzumaki was not one for customs or anything of the sort, in fact, he was amazed that Iruka could get Naruto to wear the uniform at all.
`Must have bribed him with ramen.' He concluded with a small chuckle.
“What'd ya want to talk to me about old man? You know your making me miss school right?” Naruto asks after he sat in one of the chairs in the Hokage's plush office.
“Don't try to fool me with that nonsense Naruto. I know all about you, Kiba and Kimiko -first OC- ditching class all too often.” Replied the Hokage while he was re-stuffing his pipe with more flavored tobacco.
Naruto sheepishly scratches the back of his head and laughs nervously at being caught.
“Haha I guess ya' got me there old man, but seriously, what do ya need from lil old me?” asked the blond ninja in training.
Sarutobi lit his pipe while still keeping his eyes on Naruto.
“I would like your opinion on some matters that have recently come to my attention. One of which concerns the Academy.”
Naruto's eyes widen slightly before schooling his features into a serious expression. He had practiced how to keep his emotions and expressions in check at his apartment for the past month. By watching the comedy channel and forcing himself not to laugh, or cutting onions and trying not to cry were some of the ways that he has tried, but has yet to fully succeed in either.
“Sure, I'll help ya I guess. I don't see how my opinion will help you out much but go ahead. Shoot.”
Sarutobi pulls out a large file from the cabinet to the left of his desk and opens it on his desk.
“Do you believe that it would be better to have the students, including yourself, stay in the academy longer than is required now? My point being that the students could practice more, get a better start and be stronger than the average genin from the other countries. We are at peace now so Konoha could possibly use this time to give our ranks an….upgrade if you will.”
Naruto's jaw drops slightly at the prospect of being able to help decide the future of the Academy, and by proxy, the village. After getting into a comfortable position on his chair again, Naruto stays silent while his mind is racing with all of the possible outcomes that he could imagine coming from this decision.
If he agrees that the required years should increase then he would be stuck in school for even longer than before. But, if he used the new time at school to get serious then he could be even closer to his dream of being the Hokage with the help of Iruka-sensei.
But, if he disagrees he would get out of the boring Academy and into the world of a shinobi. He could still train and get stronger, but he would be burdened with missions and the like.
After finally making a decision Naruto looks back up to the Hokage, who has been silently awaiting Naruto's answer.
“I say that you increase the number of years for students in the Academy. I, we, could get stronger and be better prepared for missions and stuff. I mean, we didn't even choose a weapon of choice or be able to decide on a more specified field and work more on teamwork, since we would be spending more time with each other. You could also get the teachers to teach us jutsu and some training techniques. While were at it I think the taijutsu style that we get taught should be improved or let us choose another form. Maybe you could even get some jounin to come in for some more advanced training, like what we would get if we were genin. That way we could get used to the work load and get some training out of it all.”
The Sandaime just sat there with his mouth open, staring at Naruto as if he had just grown a second head.
`Is he unlocking it already? It's too soon for to tell but I think the seal is finally starting to work. I can't believe it took 12 years for the Yondaime's seals to come into effect in his body.'
After getting his bearing straight again, the Sandaime reviewed the points that Naruto had pointed out. It was true that the Academy had some flaws in it. But now that he knew of them and had a plausible way to fix it, the Academy could train the most advanced students in all of the Elemental Countries. Konoha would be recognized as the top village, with Fire country being given the title it deserved to keep: The best.
“I see, Naruto. You do point out some very interesting ideas, and I agree that the outcome would far out weigh the drawback of waiting a few more years for new genin. I have to wonder why it is that you haven't shown this intelligence that you obviously have in the Academy yet. You could be at the top of your class if you just worked for it. And we both know that you have the determination to do what it takes to be the best: the Hokage.”
Naruto looks down at the ground and stays silent for a while until he decides what he wants the Sandaime to know.
“Well, it's just that before I had Iruka-sensei all the teachers would ignore me or ask me questions that they haven't discussed to the class yet and I would fail the tests since it was all on uncovered material. But even though Iruka-sensei tries to help me, I wasn't taught a lot of the stuff that I need to know since I would get sent out for no reason and would miss a session. I try to make it up by studying at home all the time but it hasn't been working too well.”
Sarutobi at this point had quickly risen from his chair and crossed his desk to grab onto Naruto's shoulders. Naruto looked up into Sarutobi's eyes questioningly, having not expected this sort of reaction from the old Hokage.
“Naruto, why didn't you ever tell me about any of this? I could have done something, and you wouldn't be this far back in your studies because of it.”
Naruto looked down at the ground again, not wanting to look at the Hokage's face at the moment.
“I just thought that it would have caused you trouble and all. I mean, you are always helping me. You got me an apartment when I was kicked out of the Orphanage and you take me out to Ichiraku's all the time. I figured that you were busy enough without having to deal with all of my troubles, having to take care of an entire village and all.”
Sarutobi continued to look down at Naruto as he listened to his soft reply.
“But Naruto, you're a part of that village that I take care of. It's my job, no, it is my wish to be able to help you and all of the others with their problems and to protect them.”
The Sandaime looked over at the picture of the other Hokages hanging on the wall, eventually settling his gaze upon the visage of the Yondaime. He looked from the picture to Naruto, and back again as if he was trying to decide on something.
Sarutobi gets up and walks up to the Yondaime's picture and moves it to the side to reveal a safe, which he unlocks with a drop of blood from his freshly bitten finger. Inside the safe Naruto can see that there are 3 scrolls inside, 2 of which are taken out by the aging Hokage and placed into his lap.
The bigger of the two scrolls is red in color with a seal on it to protect it's contents from unwanted eyes. The second, smaller scroll was blue with only simple chakra seal being used to lock the information from others.
Naruto looks up again to the Hokage, who had gone back to his leather seat behind his desk and was in the process of lighting his pipe again.
“What are these for old man?”
Sarutobi takes a deep breath of smoke from his pipe before setting it down on his desk.
“Those scrolls are for you. The large red scroll is something that the Yondaime helped put together with me and a few other high ranking shinobi of Konoha. It is the edited version of the Forbidden Scroll, which I'm sure you haven't heard of, since it is forbidden. In that scroll are techniques that were chosen for you to receive when I felt the time was right. This was decided by your father to help you along in the shinobi world and to give you an extra edge over the others. You see, your father …”
At this point Naruto had vaulted over the desk and grabbed a hold of Sarutobi's collar, shaking the old man back and forth yelling at him for only now telling him about his family.
“What the hell old man! You knew of them all along! I have been asking about my family for as long as I can remember but not once until now have I heard anything about them! Why would you keep this a secret from me?!”
“All of this should be explained in the second scroll. Which I was getting to, if you hadn't stopped me.”
Naruto slowly released the Sandaime and walked back over to his seat, then nodded for the Hokage to continue.
“Ahem, as I was saying. The second scroll was written to you from both your father and your mother. I don't know exactly what is inside there but I know that it will be very personal. So I would like for you to have the day off and look over the blue scroll. After you do you can come and talk to me if you need to. But first I would like for you to run an errand for me.”
Naruto was still in a slight daze so he could only five a small nod of affirmation. Seeing this, the Hokage began to write in a blank scroll that he then gave to Naruto.
“In this scroll are my changes that I am going to ask of the Academy. I would like for you to deliver to Iruka personally. For all of this to turn out well we need to make all of the amendments as soon as possible. Dismissed.”
And with that Naruto bolted out of the tower through the window and into the streets. Since it was still early but not time for business breaks the streets were almost empty. But there were still people about, who noticed him running by and stopped to glare at him. But upon seeing the scroll in his hand with the Hokage's official seal they quickly got back to their own business.
When Naruto reached the Academy he vaulted up the winding stairs and down the empty hallway. When he reached the end of the hall he went to the sliding door on the right and opened it, revealing a classroom. Iruka was at the front of the class with the rest of the students lined up for a practice exercise. When Iruka noticed Naruto come through the open door he was about to yell at Naruto for being late. But Naruto stopped him by holding up the scroll with the Hokage seal on it.
After reading the contents of the scroll Iruka looked at Naruto and sighed, before making a gesture with his hand for the boy to leave. Naruto just grinned and ran back out of the Academy and straight towards his apartment.
After sending Naruto away Iruka faces the class again, holding up the scroll he received from the Hokage.
“Okay class, I've got some really important news for all of you.”
This got the class muttering amongst themselves about what the news could be.
“You think the Hokage wants to give us an award?”
“No you idiot, it's obviously about Mikoto. She's the first girl to get the Rookie of the year title. We're just dragged along for the ride.”
Mikoto Uchiha was sitting in the front of the class staring off into the distance, imagining all of the ways she could kill her brother. She has onyx eyes and long black hair with a blue tint that reaches just past her shoulder blades. Like the others she was wearing the Konoha Academy uniform which consisted of a light blue top and a dark blue skirt that reaches her mid thigh. She also has on a pair of long black socks that reach her knees and a pair of black shoes.
When she looks around the room after being disturbed from her thoughts by the mumbling of the class she looks to the other side of the class room to find her only real friend Kimiko, also sitting in the front row.
Kimiko has blazing red hair that is tied back into a high pony tail reaching her lower back and golden/amber eyes with slited pupils. She wears her red uniform's top button open and has a black skirt and shoes. She also wears long red socks that reach her knees.
All of the girls has a similar set of clothes, with the only difference being their chosen colors.
Mikoto and Kimiko had been friends since the beginning of their first school year. With the both of them fighting for the top spot in the class they both respected each other for their own individual skills. Ever since the Uchiha Massacre Kimiko was the only person that Mikoto found to be enjoyable company.
Iruka noticed that the class was only starting to get louder and louder instead of quieter, so he decided upon the best solution for the situation. He did 3 hand seals behind his back and cupped the side of his mouth with his hands.
`Megaphone jutsu!'
“WILL YOU ALL SHUT UP ALREADY!!!”
The class's murmuring died out immediately after the loud voice of their teacher.
“Alright then. I know that some of you won't like the news but there is nothing I can do to stop it. The Hokage has just informed me that it is now mandatory for every student to stay in the academy until the age of 15.”
The class shouted quickly that the idea was ridiculous but Iruka carried on regardless.
“Now that you have an extra 3 years of training you will be better prepared for your future as a shinobi. With these 3 years the other teachers and I will be teaching you more aggressive jutsu, a higher level taijutsu style, teach you more upon your decision of the field you want to be apart of. For instance, Kiba, you are a shoe in for the tracking unit with your heightened senses, along with Hinata and her Byakugan. You each may choose a weapon that you feel would fit your fighting style. The Hokage has even requested for some special guests to come in to teach you and to give some tips from their experience as a ninja. Any questions?”
Once again the class started murmuring amongst themselves. Mikoto and Kimiko both raised their hands. Iruka nodded towards Kimiko for her to speak.
“How come you didn't make Naruto stay for the explanation?”
Mikoto lowered her hand and nodded, signifying that she had the same question.
“Well apparently the Hokage already had the discussion with Naruto when he gave him the scroll to deliver.”
Mikoto again raised her hand again after a minute of silence.
“Why did you let him leave anyway?”
Iruka opened the scroll and skimmed its contents before reading it aloud.
“ `Please excuse Uzumaki Naruto from class today due to some recent personal events that have happened today. I would like for him to rest and for him to come back to the Academy tomorrow with a fresh mind and body.' “
Iruka then looked towards the clock at the front of the class and sighed before facing his class once again.
“Okay class its time for lunch. Get outa' here.”
The entire class started for the door, their passage to salvation from the boring classroom. Though Mikoto and Kimiko decided not to get trapped in the crowd so they jumped out the window and into the tree just outside.
-End Flashback-
Naruto was once again running through the streets of Konoha to his shabby apartment on the east side of town. He was trying to block out his thoughts of what his parents would say to him. These thoughts seemed to travel to them saying how they were happy to abandon him and calling him a monster like the rest of the village.
When he finally reached his home he quickly went inside and locked the door. Even though he knew that any competent ninja could open the lock without a problem, it was the small sense of security he got from the act that he kept locking his home in the ninja village.
He quickly jumped on his broken mattress and pulled out the two scrolls. After setting the red scroll to his side he broke the seal on the second and started reading. After the first minute He gasped and fell backwards, unconscious.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
Authors Notes.
Okay, so I know there may be some more questions that I haven't answered yet. But that is what suspense is. If you ask me a question in a review I will try to answer it if I feel that it wont give away too much of the story.
 
-Dshadodragon