Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Better Start ❯ A Better Explanation ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hooray! I actually got some constructive criticism!
ShyTan'ith: Thank you for pointing that out to me. I probably wouldn't have spotted it.
Last time on A Better Start
Naruto nodded and bit his thumb and let a few drops of his blood fall onto the paper. Sarutobi took the blood stained paper and placed it onto the tablet. After pulling out a small vile of blue liquid from another drawer and adding a drop to the mix he went through five hand signs and placed his hand over the tablet. A small stream of smoke rose up from underneath the Hokage's hand, signaling for him to remove it. When the smoke cleared it showed that the paper had changed to a greenish color.
“Congratulations Naruto, it looks like you do carry a bloodline limit of some kind.” As soon as he said that the doors burst open, followed by Kimiko and Mikoto rushing into the room “NO WAY!!”
At that exact moment Jiraya also showed up, poking his head through the window. “So, what'd I miss?”
---
At the same time that all this was taking place a tall busty, unbelievably so, blonde followed by a shorter brunet carrying a pig in her arms. The blonde was obviously upset with something, if her angry mumbling was anything to go by.
“Tsunade-sama, what exactly is the reason for us to be headed back to Konoha? I was under the impression that you refused to go back.” The pig carrying woman asked lightly, fearing the other woman's temper.
More mumbling ensued, followed by a glance and a sigh “Sensei wouldn't tell me the specifics, only that it was extremely urgent and of the utmost importance.”
The two stayed quiet for a short while after, the only sound being made was that of the pig in their group. “Do you have any idea to what Hokage-sama might want?”
“Probably something stupid,” Tsunade snorted “like asking me to be Hokage or something.” They continued on their way through the dirt roads and thick forests that made up the Land of Fire.
----
“Ah, glad to see that you are here Jiraya. Saves my messengers the trouble of finding you.”
Jiraya stepped completely out from the window, facing the Hokage and his back to the teens. “But it was your messengers that found me, he wasn't looking all that great the last time I saw him. Ya might wanna send someone after him. What did you need that could be so important as to disturb my `research', anyway ?“
“Ah yes, of course, just a moment Jiraya. CAT!” There was a poof of smoke, signaling the use of a Shunshin(sp?) technique. Out of the smoke stepped a female ANBU with purple hair and a porcelain mask resembling a cat. The ANBU saluted but did not speak. “Cat, there is a chunin-” Jiraya interrupted “At the hot springs. Girls side, just outside the fence.” He said this with a completely straight face, as if nothing was wrong with it.
The ANBU glanced at the sage before nodding to the Hokage and disappearing in another plume of smoke.
“I SO NEED TO LEARN THAT!!” Naruto shouted once the ANBU left. “ALL THE POSSIBILITIES!”
Both of the older men chuckled, remembering their first thought of the Shunshin technique. The two girls however had similar thought to Naruto's, but didn't voice them.
As soon as Sarutobi stopped chuckling his face turned deadly serious “She has made first contact with him. And these girls seem to have been listening in on our conversation.”
Jiraya looked behind him, staring at the pair who seemed to shrink to half their size. Looking back to Sarutobi Jiraya shrugged “What else would you expect in a ninja village? I'm sure they know now that this information won't leave this room, and is an S-ranked secret.”
The Third Hokage nodded “Yes, and if I find that this information was leaked the leak will be found and killed. But since you already know a part of it I would like for you to stay throughout this meeting, is that alright ladies?”
Kimiko nodded. “Yeah, we just came here to kill time anyway.”
Mikoto looked at Naruto. “Yeah, and this seems interesting enough. Who was Naruto talking about? And a bloodline?”
“Sigh, well first tell me what `Natural Disasters' have effected Konoha within the past 15 years?” Sarutobi asked ambiguously.
Mikoto, always one to pay attention in class, answered. “There were 3 occurrences. The rain storm 7 years ago that flooded the village. A 5.7 earthquake 14 years ago that resulted in the loss of 10 buildings. Then there is also the attack of the Kyuubi no Kitsune, which decimated close to half of our ninja forces before the Yondaime was able to deliver a killing blow.”
Jiraya gave a small clap “Very good. Even I didn't pay attention to the Academy lectures that much when I was your age.”
Sarutobi nodded. “Yes, very good.” Mikoto nodded, accepting the praise and trying not to show her joy. “However, the last part was not true. The Kyuubi cannot be killed, it is immortal. Kyuubi and others like it, the Bijuu, are extensions of the elements and life. You can't kill an element. You can however alter an element. Like with an elemental jutsu, fire for example, is…NARUTO! Wake up!”
CLONK- a paper weight smacked into his head-“OW! Who the hell…?!”
Just then the doors opened, and a Chuunin ran up to the Hokage. “Sir, there is a fire on the east side of town, in the residential area! There seems to be at least 3 buildings that are lit, one is an apartment complex!” he managed to gasp out, from all the running he did when he sprinted from one side of the village to the other.
Instantly, Naruto's face turned ghostly pale. “MY apartment is on the east side!” he yelled as he vaulted completely over the Hokage, his desk, and out the window onto an adjacent building.
The Sandaime sighed. “Of all the times for this to happen… Jiraya, go with him please. Do whatever needs to be done to put out the fire. The Leaf Stream runs through the east, that can be a water source.”
Jiraya nodded and Shunshin-ed out of the building. Kimiko and Mikoto were about to head out as well when the Hokage called them back. “Whatever happens, Jiraya can handle it. Now would be a good time to continue with our conversation.” The two girls did as they were told and sat back down in their chairs. “Now as I was saying, you can alter an element in two ways. One is through manipulating it, like a jutsu. The second method is to seal it.”
-----
Naruto was running across the village, hopping from one roof to the next. In the distance he could already see the black smoke rising high into the evening sky. As he drew closer he could see ninja using different Water Techniques to douse the ongoing flames. But so far their efforts haven't shown to have an effect, judging by the fact that the flames are still growing higher and are spreading to other buildings.
“Oh man. What the hell am I gonna do? I gotta get to my room, my safe. The scrolls are the only valuables I have. I need to get in there.” Following this irrational line of thought Naruto leapt onto the fire escape and ran up it until he was on the fifth floor. He broke the nearest window and jumped inside. As soon as he did his eyes began to water from the smoke in the area.
“This isn't my apartment. I must be on the wrong side of the complex. Man it's hot in here, I need to hurry up.”
---
Meanwhile, Jiraya landed beside a panting Jounin. “Is everyone out of the buildings yet?”
The tired Jounin looked up to him. “We sent in a small group in a few minutes ago, but we haven't heard word from any of them yet. The fire just seems to keep growing no matter what we throw at it.”
Jiraya nodded and looked back to the raging fire and the surrounding area. “If this goes on for too much longer the buildings structures will give way. I'll go in to see if I can find anyone. If I don't come out in 10 minutes I want you to get everyone you can and douse the place with as much water as you possibly can. Don't worry about the buildings collapsing. Better to stop the fire than saving a couple buildings.” The jounin nodded and watched as the Sannin ran towards the nearest building.
-----
“So…Naruto has…the Kyuubi sealed inside of him. And she can talk to him?” Kimiko seemed hesitant to come to that conclusion. Naruto had been her running buddy throughout their childhood. She had known him forever.
The Sandaime nodded and blew a ring of smoke before continuing. “Yes, the sealing is ultimately binding their souls together. The Kyuubi cannot get free, but she does have a bit of leeway inside of Naruto. Kyuubi is the ruler of the Bijuu, the embodiment of the elements throughout the world. That isn't the type of power that can be altered. It has been proven that she doesn't affect him mentally, but she is still there.”
“I see now. That's why he's an orphan?” Mikoto asked after hearing the explanation.
“Hhmm, not quite. Both of his parents are dead, and he has no living relatives that I know of. They were both dead by the end of the sealing I believe. But I can't tell you who they are, that is an S-class secret too I'm afraid.”
-----
Naruto had finally reached his own room and was trying to get to his safe, but since it was metal it was extremely hot. He couldn't touch it for 3 seconds without having to let go. Thinking quickly he took off his jacket and wrapping it around the small safe and started for the window when the floor under him collapsed.
“Owwwwwww..pain, yup I'm gonna be sore tomorrow. When he rolled over and got back to his feet and grabbed his jacket wrapped safe he heard a small scream. He looked back at the door that should lead to the hallway and heard the scream again. It sounded young and high pitched.
“Hello!? Is anyone here?!” he yelled out as he struggled with the doorknob that was just as hot as his safe.
“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!” the voice yelled again.
Bracing himself Naruto tackled through the door and into the hallway. There were 5 doors, including the one he just came from, one to his direct left that looked to be the exit to the apartment into the main complex hallway. There was a burning ceiling rafter that lay slanted in the hallway, blocking his path to the others. “Damn it! How the hell am I supposed to get over that? Think, think, think! Substitution! That's it! But I need something to substitute with.” Naruto looked around him and on the other side of the rafter for anything he could use.
`What the hell did I just teach you not even two hoursago?' Kyuubi's voice reprimanded. Seemingly annoyed with how fast he seems to forget things. `You can place a Shadow Clone anywhere around youthat you are familiar with,within reason. Tenfeet is within reason, so get to it!'
“MOMMY!!!WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!” the voice wailed again.
“I'm coming to help you! Don't worry! Ok, focus on the placement then: ram, snake, tiger, and the cross seal and…” poof “Boo ya! I am so awesome.”
`Don't forget the Substitution.' Kyuubi reminded from inside her seal.
Naruto nodded. “Right.” A quick replacement later and now Naruto was the one on the other side of the downed pillar.
Not wasting any time Naruto charged and broke through the nearest door to reveal a bathroom. A bathroom without a child in it. “Next one!”
-----------
“Then what can you tell us old man? What isn't an S-class secret?”
Sarutobi `Hhmm'-ed for a few seconds. “Well, now that you know that he is a Jinchuriki(sp?) you should also know what a Bijuu is, and which one he contains.”
“But you already told us.” Kimiko reminded “Bijuu are manifestations of the elements.”
Mikoto nodded. “And he holds the Nine Tails, the Kyuubi.”
“Yes, that is both correct. But there is more to it than that. Each Bijuu is tasked with governing a specific region. For instance the One Tail, the Ichibi that governs the deserts of wind country. The others all govern an area, but the Kyuubi is different. Her area is the forests of Fire Country, but she is also the overseer of the other lands as well. Checking up on them from time to time, making sure that her subordinates are doing their job.”
Kimiko looked like she didn't completely understand. Sitting with her arms crossed and her head tilted to the side.
“Think of it this way, the Bijuu are like the Daimyo's, they watch over their own respective lands. But in addition to her land the Kyuubi is like a second Daimyo to every other land.”
A look of realization swept over Kimiko's face. “So she acts like a Queen that visits the rest of her lands from time to time, but normally stays in her own palace?”
The Sandaime nodded. “Precisely, she has several titles, all of them are true. Kyuubi no Yoko, Kyuubi no Kitsune, Guardian of the Land, Queen of the Demons.”
----------
“WWWWAAAAAA!!!!!” the voice screamed, this time clearer than before. Naruto was able to tell which room it was coming from, it was the room at the back of the hallway on the left. He could clearly see the light of the fire on the other side of the door.
To be cautious Naruto opted to kick the door down instead of plowing through it. The walls, desk and dresser were all on fire, but the bed was relatively okay. On top of the bed was a small girl crying her eyes out with the flames dancing around her. He rushed up to her and grabbed her by the waist and ran out of the room.
Once he got into the hallway he sat her down in a corner, as far away from the fire as he could find, and tried to calm her down.
“It's ok now, can you tell me your name? Where are your parents?” Naruto asked as calmly as he could in this situation.
The girl sniffled and cried shortly but managed to answer. “I'm Akiko, and my-sniff- mommy hasn't gotten back from shopping-sniffle- and my daddy isn't back in the village yet.”
“It's okay. I'ma get the two of us out of here, safe and sound.” Naruto turned around and pointed to his back. “I'll carry you, you need to be touching me for us to get on the other side of that pillar over there.” He tilted his head, indicating the flaming rafter.
The little girl nodded and reached her arms around his neck and Naruto stood up and molded his chakra for the needed technique.
Once they were on the other side the girl suddenly started giggling, causing Naruto to chuckle. “Oh, you like that, huh? If you grow up to be a ninja you can do that too. Now let's get out of here.”
After securing his wrapped safe he started for the door to the main apartment complex hallway. As soon as he took his first step the building started shaking. “What NOW?!”
--Just a minute before---
Outside the apartment the gathered shinobi had begun to hit the apartment with as much water as was physically possible. In the front was the Jounin that Jiraya had talked to leading the group.
“It's been 10 minutes already! Fire at Will!” And the onslaught of water began.
------
While the building was shaking, the wall in front of Naruto that lead to the door had utterly collapsed forcing him to jump back to avoid it.
“Well SHIT! What the hell am I supposed to do now?”
`You are going to have to blast your way through, we have no other option.'
`Well that's a great strategy and all, except for one thing. I don't have any blasting techniques, not even any explosive tags. They won't let us buy them until we are official ninja.' Naruto thought back in frustration.
`I can help with that. I was going to teach you this later anyway. I am going to send out a portion of my youki, or chakra to you. I want you to push as much of it into a ball in your hand as you can. Ready?' Kyuubi didn't wait for his reply and pushed a really small amount of her youki into Naruto's body.
Naruto set his safe and Akiko down and told her to take a few steps behind him. He placed his right hand out in front of him and braced it with his left. He concentrated on the energy he could feel that was rushing through him and forced it to his hand. This took him a good bit of concentration and was starting to sweat profusely from the heat of the fire and the mental strain.
`Now form it into a ball in front of your hand…. Focus, Naruto. A ball, not a triangle… good, a little more. Now try and make that ball as small as possible while keeping it stable, this part is very crucial since it could literally blow up in your face.'
`Oh yeah, GREAT! You couldn't have warned me earlier?' Naruto asked as he tried to keep the glowing silver ball of apparent death from blowing him up.
`Don't talk to me and concentrate! It almost blew! Now make it smaller…smaller. Okay now I need you to make an outer shell with some more chakra that I am sending, this step will keep it from blowing up when we don't want it to.' Kyuubi was trying to be as calm as she could while Naruto handled her youki.
“Augh, so much concentration!” A full minute had passed and Naruto had finally made the outer shell out of the extra youki around the grapefruit sized sphere. Akiko still stood behind Naruto, but she was starting to get dizzy from all of the smoke in the area.
`Keep it up, we are done with the set up, now when I count to three I want you to brace yourself as much as you can, on the count of five I need you to collapse the front let go of the control you have on the inner chakra, on the count of 7 take away the front half of the outer shell. By that time the ball will have grown, so don't panic. This will create one of my strongest blasts, which will blow away the wall and enable us to get out. Here we go…1…….2…….3' Naruto re-adjusted himself so that he was firmly planted on the ground. `….4…..5..'The ball instantly doubled in size, then seemed to struggle against the shell. `…6..'
There was a loud crash as the wall was destroyed from the other side. There standing on the rubble was Jiraya. “Hello there. I heard you could use some savin' “
“Can't..hold it… Augh!” Naruto pointed his hand straight up into the air and let go of the front of the shell. BOOOOOOOOOM! There was a bright flash and a severe shake from the building as a blast of chakra exploded from his hand. (Think of it as a downgraded version of the blast Kyuubified Naruto uses against Orochimaru.)
“HOLLY SHIT!!!!!” “WWWAAAA!!!” The other two screamed in surprise.
------
While the ninja outside were still trying to drench the now slightly dying flames the ground shook violently. Then all of a sudden a section of the roof exploded as a beam of silver light shot out from it, heading up into the sky.
“Dude!”
“What the..?”
“DAMN!”
-------
As soon as the dust had finally settled Naruto fell to one knee, panting from the strain of using the technique.
Akiko raised her head and looked around, noticing something different. “No more fire!”
Jiraya looked around too, and noticed the same thing. “The wind that technique kicked up must have put out the flames in this area. Naruto, you okay? What the hell was that?”
Naruto panted a couple more times before grunting as he got back up to his feet. “Yeah I'm fine. We were stuck so she was helping me get us out.”
Jiraya's eyes widened. `So that was her technique? The ball looked disturbingly familiar to the Rasengan.' “We can talk about it later, let's get you two out of here. The building is going to collapse any minute. Naruto, can you jump that?” Jiraya asked, pointing to the hole he made in the ceiling that was easily 2 meters in diameter and 3 floors up to the roof.
Naruto looked up into the hole and nodded. Jiraya walked over to the bundle and picked it up. “I am assuming that this is valuable?”
Naruto nodded as he placed Akiko onto his back. “That was the reason I came back in the first place.”
Jiraya nodded and leapt through the hole and onto the roof with the safe under one arm. Naruto soon joined him on the roof, then to the closest building that wasn't on fire, then the ground.
------------
“There is also another sad truth. Because of all the deaths that the Kyuubi caused on the night that she attacked, she is hated for it by the majority of the village.”
Mikoto caught on to what he was implying. “But since they cannot get to her, they let their anger out on him.”
Kimiko looked over to her friend, then back to Sarutobi and watched as he nodded. “Yes. I have tried many things, I have even made it illegal to speak of Naruto's status as a Jinchuriki to Naruto or anyone who wasn't 10 years old or older at the time of the attack. But there was a loop hole in my plan, the parents told their children to generally hate Naruto without giving a reason. The rest of the adult population, save a few, despised him and refused him service in their shops. He has even had multiple attacks on his life, luckily without success.”
Both the girls faces lost a bit of color at hearing this.
-----------
As soon as they landed Naruto heard a yell of “MY BABY!!!” and was assaulted by a middle aged woman with long dark blond hair swinging her purse and hitting him in the face. “LET GO OF MY BABY YOU MONSTER!!” she yelled as she swung again.
Naruto closed his eyes and waited for the purse to hit him again, only it never came. He opened his eyes to see that Akiko had reached around him from his pack and pushed the purse away. “Mommy! He saved me, don't hurt him!”
The woman stammered for a moment, before Naruto set the child down. She reached out and grabbed her child's arm and dragged her away and began to hug her.
Jiraya walked over and placed the safe into his arms. “Can't win them all, kid. Come on, let's get back to the tower.” With his left hand still on the blond he made a one handed seal with his right and they Shunshin-ed away.
--------
Really sorry about how long this took. I got swarmed with papers to write for college and couldn't find the time to write this.
Anyway, leave me a review and tell me what you think the technique should be called.
Later!