Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Girl in the Akatsuki ❯ Waking Up, Falling Under ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"We've got to do something, damnit!" Sasuke said loudly, pounding the table with his fist.
 
"I'm sorry Sasuke, but we can't." Leader replied, shaking his head. "Tobi is gone on his mission, and he won't be back for a few hours. Hidan went too far with one of his Kami-damned-" He was cut off.
 
"Jashin-damned, thank you very much!" Hidan shouted from the only bench at the table. He was looking very pale and had a cold compress on his forehead and his entire torso was wrapped in bandages.
 
"Jashin-damned, then-rituals and lost too much blood. And Kakuzu can't find his foot. We are in no position to go after Orochimaru! Sasuke, we'll just have to wait. In a few hours, we can try to go after Amaya, but until then, you're just going to have to be patient. Can you handle that?" Leader asked, struggling to remain calm.
 
Sasuke, by now to furious to say most anything, just glared at Leader and disappeared upstairs to his room.
 
He just lay on his bed, imagining ways of apologizing to her. Angry, friendly, upset, the possibilities all seemed wrong. Suddenly, something flickered. Sasuke looked over to see that Amaya's drawing light had flickered on. It was illuminating hers and Tobi's portion of the room. And, more importantly, her trash can. It was overflowing with pieces of paper.
 
Sasuke got up, grabbing one off the top. It was a picture of him. It was very good, aside from the way the lines were shaky. Upon closer inspection, he saw that it has several wet splotches all over it. He picked up another.
 
This one was similar, only from a different angle. Another. And another. Every single picture was of him, all of them tear splotched and messy. Had Amaya been crying when she drew these? Sasuke wondered.
 
He realized something then. What he'd thought he'd heard when he was half-unconscious out in the hallway that night. He'd thought he'd heard Amaya confirm that she'd had feelings for him, but he's passed it off as his imagination. Besides, after the fight they'd had, he couldn't have imagined she'd felt anything but hate towards him. But maybe he was wrong.
 
Sasuke's decided then. He was going after her. He was gonna get her back. Without a second thought, he disappeared, heading strait for the lair of his enemy.
 
~
 
"Sasuke..." Amaya muttered, tentatively feeling her way to consciousness. She opened her eyes, but they slid closed. She tried again, managing to keep them open this time. She looked around, dazed and surprised. She was on a hard cot in a bright room. And her ankle hurt a lot. She tried to sit up, but was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.
 
"I wouldn't move just yet, if I were you." Suggested a voice.
 
"And why is that?" Amaya asked weakly, propping herself up on one elbow. Now she got a good look at the person who spoke. It was a boy, maybe her age, with grey hair. His face was hidden by the glint off his glasses. He moved his head a little, understanding that she couldn't see. His young, almost handsome face was smiling back.
 
"Because I'm working on your ankle, and it's much easier if you're not pumping any more blood than necessary." He explained, gently moving her arm and easing her back to the cot. "I'll only be a minute or two more, if you'll just wait."
 
Amaya just closed her eyes, trying to block out the pain. After a little over a minute, though, her efforts were unnecessary.
 
"There, all done. Feeling bet-?" The boy started to ask before cutting himself off. "Are you awake?" He asked instead, leaning in a bit.
 
Amaya didn't open here eyes, but nodded. "Yeah, it's better. Can I sit up now?" She asked, opening here eyes a few seconds later.
 
The boy nodded. "Okay..." He started, grabbing a clipboard. "Are you feeling all right? No dizziness, aches, or anything?" He asked.
 
In answer, Amaya tentatively slipped off the cot, finding that her ankle felt fine, along with the rest of her. "No...I don't think so."
 
"Good. Now, do you know where you are?" He asked. Amaya shook her head. The boy sighed. "Do you know who you are?" He asked.
 
"Amaya Kaera. And who are you?" She replied.
 
"Not that it has any relevancy whatsoever, my name is Kabuto Yakushi" Kabuto replied. "And you're at the infirmary of the Sound Village."
 
"Sound Village? How did I get-Oh..." Amaya sighed as the memories returned. Orochimaru had kidnapped her. Sasuke hadn't done anything, hadn't even tried...Amaya fell back on the cot, curling up and hiding her face in her knees. She felt weak, tired too. But most of all, disappointed.
 
"Are you all right?" Kabuto asked, worried.
 
Amaya, not trusting her voice, just shook her head. Maybe this whole thing was just a bad dream. Maybe if she pinched herself, she would wake up in her room at the Akatsuki hideout, and see that everything would be okay. Sasuke wouldn't have told her anything, and they would be friends again...
 
Closing her eyes tight, she pinched the inside of her arm, so Kabuto wouldn't notice. Pain, but nothing else. When she opened her eyes again, she was still on the cot, wrapped up tight, staring through the crack between her knees at Kabuto. "Damn." She muttered.
 
Amaya uncurled, still sitting on the cot. "Hey, Kabuto?" She asked. "Is there a place where I can lie down? I'm feeling kind of tired..."
 
"Huh? Oh, of course. Can you walk?" Kabuto asked. Amaya shook her head. Kabuto gently snaked his arms under her, carefully picking her up.
 
"You have your own house here, you know." He informed her a few minutes later, as he walked out of the building, quickly walking down the wide dirt road. Ninja's were everywhere. Most of them were wearing the same camouflage pattern on their clothes. "Why are there so many people around here? I thought Orochimaru didn't have that many followers." Amaya asked quietly.
 
"There's more of us than we let on. Way more. I think we're pushing 1,000." Kabuto replied. A few minutes later, they reached a house that was on the outskirts of the village. Kabuto helped her inside and upstairs to a large bedroom.
 
"Are you okay on your own?" Kabuto asked after setting her on the bed. Amaya nodded, already crawling toward the pillows at the head.
 
"Okay, I'll have Tayuya check in on you every so often. Or would you rather she just stay here?" Kabuto asked.
 
Amaya replied, "She can stay here if she wants. I'd be nice to hang out with a girl again."
 
"Alright. She'll be here in an hour or so, then. And she'll stay in the guest room. Now, get some rest." With that, Kabuto disappeared.
 
The second he was gone, Amaya dove to a pillow, letting the feelings that had been building up out. In minutes, the pillow was sopping wet. After that, Amaya resolved to find some paper. Drawing would be better therapy than crying, anyways.
 
She found a desk only a few feet away from the bed, against the wall with a large window in front of it. On it were a couple of new sketch books, some really good quality notebooks and pencils, pens, colored pencils, the works. Amaya sat down on the feather soft spinning chair and picked a sketchbook at random. It was pure black, except the paper itself. But each page, on both sides, had a few lines in the top right corner, left on the other side. Also, there was a watermark of her signature logo on each page.
 
"Wow..." She muttered, running a hand over the first page. "This is..."
 
"Incredible, huh?" A voice asked behind Amaya. She jumped , spinning around quickly.
 
A girl with long red hair and deep brown eyes was smiling at Amaya. "I'm Tayuya. You're...Amaya, right?" She asked.
 
"Yeah. Nice to meet you, Tayuya. Kabuto told me about you. I'm sorry if I inconvenience you. What with you staying here." Amaya apologized.
 
Tayuya laughed. "Are you kidding? I've been wanting to stay with a girl for years now. There are almost all guys around here. Finally, I can have an actual conversation!" She said happily.
 
"So, what's it like here?" Amaya asked a few minutes later as Tayuya messed with her hair. It was all full of knots and charred from her little trick with the lightning. Truthfully, Tayuya was much nicer when she was on her own turf and was talking to a teammate.
 
"Well, it's damn hard work, but it's worth it. I'm a lot stronger now than I was." Tayuya explained, managing to get rid of the last knot. "And you were in the Akatsuki. How'd you manage that?" She asked.
 
Amaya shrugged. "I didn't even try to. A couple of them found me injured in the woods somewhere and brought me back. Then the Leader gave me a choice. Die or join. We fought and I won. That's all there is to it." She explained. For the first time since she woke up, she noted what time it was. It was dark outside, and the clock on her wall said that it was nearly midnight. Tayuya looked too.
 
"You'd better get to bed." She said. Amaya agreed and they said their "goodnight"s. She turned off the light and stared out her window at the slowly moving moon, wishing desperately that the huge, dark clouds on the horizon would come her way, so she'd have some rain.
 
~
 
"Sasuke!" Someone shouted.
 
"Is he alright?" Someone else asked.
 
"No, but he's alive. He's sliced to bits, though..." Another person said.
 
The voices all came together around a certain half-dead boy laying on the ground. One of them kneeled down, picked Sasuke up.
 
"We'd better get him back. If he looses too much blood, he's done for." The one said.
 
They all agreed, disappearing into the night.
 
~
 
Sasuke hurt all over. He was freezing too, even though he was covered with multiple blankets. He groaned as a wave of pain splashed over him.
 
"Sasuke, you awake?" Asked a familiar voice.
 
"Tobi?" Sasuke asked, opening his eyes.
 
Tobi was grinning back at Sasuke from his place next to Sasuke's bed. "Yeah. How're you feeling, kid?" He asked.
 
"Sore." Sasuke replied, sitting up.
 
"Don't worry, that'll pass. What happened to you? Leader only said you got a reprieve this time, but not what for." Tobi said.
 
"I went after...Amaya...She was...kidnapped..." Sasuke said slowly, realizing how much it hurt him to say it. "I tried to fight...But they were too strong. She's being held at the Sound Village."
 
"I thought something was up...Who took her?" Tobi replied, struggling to stay calm.
 
"Orochimaru," Sasuke replied, feeling anger combine with the pain that was slowly decreasing.
 
Tobi didn't ask him anything else after that, simply saying that Sasuke needed to get some rest. Sasuke didn't have the energy to argue, so he fell into a fitful, restless, sleep.