Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ Reunion of Family ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
All of the usual crap applies: Don't own the Naruto universe, can only lay claim to the Tamanazi Clan, Haya, Mitsu Akiko and future non-canon/filler characters. All of whom will be listed as they appear.

Eventually, this story will be yaoi. (I call every male/male manga or anime pairing yaoi even if it's really shounen ai.) The pairing will be Sasuke/Naruto/Sasuke. (Don't subscribe to the whole seme/uke way of thinking. Equality is much more fun.) However, there be NO sex scenes at all in my story. I don't believe that a story has to result to sex scenes in order to tell a good story. And while I am a firm Iruka/Kakashi/Iruka fan, they will not be more then friends in this fic. So beware of the future male/male action. Not there will be more then handholding and kissing.

Other characters from the Narutoverse will be making their appearances now that the stage is set. Yes, I know that Naruto is ten and already graduated. That was an error made accidentally. But running with it now. Sakura and Sasuke WILL still be Naruto's teammates. From this point, canon ceases to exist for me. Mostly.

I also know that the chapters might feel rushed and everything but the whole point of this story is not only to tell a story but to show snapshots of Naruto's life. Of the people who touched him and who he touched. Of how one grows up. How things change and evolve as time goes by. The time jumps will be deceasing, for now at least. This chapter takes place roughly two years after the last one. The ending for this is already planned. Not written out but planned.

Enjoy the story and reviews are always nice.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

"DAD!!"

A terror filled scream echos as a blond blur leaps from the second story window, alerting the other two inhabitants of the house that something is very wrong. A door slings open with a bang and a tall brown haired man races outside into the street with a large bobcat on his heels. Both freeze as the overwhelming scent of blood washes over them. In the middle of the street is a man collapsed onto himself, nothing more then a pile of unmoving flesh.

"Dad!"

Another shriek of pure anguish filled terror as the boy throws himself down by his father's body and tries to wake him. "Dad dad....wake up..please...." Whimpering, Naruto shakes hard as he slowly lifts his father's head, resting it on his lap and with shaking hands, runs his fingers through the blood-soaked silver strands. "Dad.....daddy...." The child wails as he stares down in horror at his blood covered hands.

"Naruto!"

The scarred man quickly moves to the boy's side, reaching out to feel for a pulse. Relief spreads across his face as he feels a weak thready pulse in the man's throat.

"Dad....?"

"Hush brat. Let Iruka-sensei work." The commanding yet sympathetic voice cuts through the blond's whimpers as the bobcat halts by his knee and green eyes regard the fallen man. "Iruka-sensei, do you need me to go find some medic-nins?"

"No, that'll take too long. It'll be faster if I transport him there myself."

"Aa. I'm going to go locate Genma-san. He was suppose to be have been on the mission with Kakashi. Take Naruto with you." Suma turns and bunches her muscles before leaping off, landing on a nearby roof and races away, leaving the teacher to try and teleport not only himself but two others.

Ignoring the rudeness, knowing it's just how Suma is, he turns his full attention to the injuried man before him, hands running over his body lightly. Ticking off the wounds mentally. 'Broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, shattered hip, broken leg, twisted ankle. Numerous cuts and bruises. And that's just what I can see with my limited medicial training. What did you get yourself into, Kakashi? This was to be a B-class mission. A simple drop-off and pickup. Where is Genma-san? He wouldn't just leave you like this, would he? And how did you get yourself here in this condition without anyone noticing?'

"Naruto, hold onto my back. I need to hold onto your father while leaving my hands free." Carefully he lifts the jounin to rest against his front and stretches his arms around the body. Once he feels shaking arms loop around his shoulders, he forms the handseals to send them to the hospital. 'Thank you, Tamanazi-sama, for deciding to build your district near the hospital.' As the jutsu takes hold, he sends a brief prayer to the long-deceased head of this clan for her foresight.

The moment they appear, chaos erupts around them and Kakashi's limp body is extracted and carried off. Shouts and orders flying around as people in white coats race back and forth. Rising to his feet, Iruka carefully turns and scoops up the small form shuddering behind him and half carries him over to a nearby row of chairs. Settling down, he pulls the boy into his lap and just holds him, mumbling what he hopes his soothing words.

"Umino-san?"

A male voice causes him to look up and there before him, leaning heavily on a crutch is none other then Genma. The older man looking worse for wear but much better off then Kakashi.

"Genma-san? ...How...?"

"An hour. He's still in surgery. The medics are trying to stabilize his condition. Internal bleeding. Here." A wet towel is pushed at him and the man nods at Naruto. "Thought it might be best if he was cleaned up of Kakashi's blood."

"Aa..thank you."

A shrug is his answer as he shifts and the sudden realization of the lack of a senbon hanging from his mouth causes Iruka to do a double take. "Genma-san, how....?"

"Not here." The question gets cut off before he can even really start it and the bandana-clad man gives a pointed look at the boy still curled up in Iruka's lap. "I'm not about to traumatize my friend's son anymore then he already has been." Genma limps forward and settles himself down in a chair next to Iruka's and stretchs his heavily casted leg out and places the crutch on another chair. "It was bad. That's all I'm saying about that for now." He reaches out and lightly messes up the blond strands covering Naruto's head. "Kakashi's strong. He'll pull through."

Iruka nods as he wipes fiercely at Naruto's hands and arms, trying to remove as much of Kakashi's blood as possible then gives up. "Excuse me, Genma-san, I need to take him to the bathroom to get this off." Clutching Naruto to him, he rises and nods at the other man before shuffling off towards the bathroom. Ignoring the looks shot their way with the ease of long practice. Has it only been two years since I was dragged into this small mismatched family? Naruto might have already graduated but the Hokage isn't ready to officially call him a genin. Says that soon he'll be a genin. It's been almost two years! What is he waiting for? Both Kakashi and I are teaching him other skills. He is better off than most genin. Even Genma-san and Raidou-san show up now and then to show him new ways to use weapons. Naruto is developing a love affair with senbons because of Genma-san. Shaking his head, he turns a faucet on and grabbing a bunch of paper towels, wets them before scrubbing at Naruto's face, arms and hands. Knowing there is nothing he can do for the blood covered clothing beyond finding them both sets of scrubs.

I have so many questions. Why was Kakashi in such bad shape yet Genma is clearly nowhere nearly as badly hurt? His leg is broken but there seems to be no other injuries. Where they ambushed? How did they manage to get back to the village in such conditions? What will happen to Naruto if Kakashi dies? His other legal guardian is Haya-san but she still hasn't returned from her mission. Will I be able to take over caring for Naruto by myself? Did Kakashi make any changes to his will? I know that Genma-san is Naruto's godfather. He would have the automatic right to take in Naruto until Haya-san returned. What would that mean for me? My apartment was sold months ago and I enjoy living with Kakashi and Naruto. No! I can't think bad thoughts. Kakashi will be fine. Genma-san is right, he's tough and has always recovered before. Naruto is my first concern right now. Focus on him, Iruka.

"Naruto?"

Glassy blue eyes slowly meet his own brown and the man flinches as he suddenly realizes that the boy has went into shock and scoops him up. Hurrying out of the bathroom, he starts to shout for a doctor, clutching his burden to his chest. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Genma start and begin to rise to his feet without the aid of the crutch only to collapse back into the chair with a grunt and hiss. "I need a doctor!" The woman behind the desk glances his way then turns away, ignoring the chuunin pointedly. Before he can scream at her, a very familiar voice cuts through.

"I believe that Iruka-sensei requested a doctor, nurse."

Standing before the desk is the Hokage with Raidou standing just behind him. The taller man's eyes flicker in the direction of his partner but stays in his place by the Hokage's side. The nurse leaps to her feet and immediately stutters out a reply before racing off to find a doctor. Sandaime turns to face Iruka and a slight softening of his face as he gazes at Naruto shows how much he cares about the child. "Don't worry, Iruka-sensei, he'll be taken care of."

At that moment, the doctor and harried nurse appear, the nurse shooting Iruka a dirty look even as the doctor looks horrified that she wasn't summoned earlier. "Why wasn't I called immediately?" The question is shot in the nurse's direction as she lightly runs her hands over Naruto's face, peeling back an eyelid and frowns heavily. "No. Think about your reply, nurse. You will go on report for this." Without a look back, the doctor latchs onto Iruka's arm and hauls him down the hallway into an empty room. "Strip him. I'm going to grab some blankets and equipment, shinobi-san." She doesn't give the teacher a chance to say a word, rushing off to find what she needs.

Blinking rapidly, he slowly does what he was told. "Looks like you have a friend of sorts, Naruto. I wonder, is she the doctor your parents always bring you to? She seems to know you very well." Efficiently, he removes the bloodsoaked clothing and drops it on the floor then gently wipes away a tear that slides down the whiskered cheek. "Shhhhh, it'll be alright."

"I've been his doctor since before he was born." A faint laugh fills the room as Iruka jumps and nearly trips over the clothing behind him and turns quickly towards the door. "After the deaths of Yondaime and Miharu-san, Haya-san decided that it would be best to keep coming to me if Naruto-kun was sick or got hurt. She didn't trust anyone else to actually treat him instead of killing him. Kakashi-san agreed and only brought him to me for treatment." As she speaks, she carefully and quickly wraps blankets and heating pads around the shivering body, cocooning him then hooks up a heartbeat monitor. "Just in case." Catchs the puzzled look shot her way. "He should be fine when he warms up but I never take chances with my patients. Now if you'll excuse me, shinobi-san? I have to go round up Shiranui-san. He was not to leave his bed." Bows to the man, the doctor turns to leave the room.

"Wait! May I know your name, sensei?"

"I'm Mitsu Akiko, shinobi-san."

"Please call me Iruka-sensei or Iruka-san, Mitsu-sensei."

"As you wish, Iruka-san." A brief smile and the woman is gone, leaving him alone with a still oddly quiet Naruto. Glancing over his shoulder to check on the condition of the blond, he's relieved to find that he's no longer shaking and now his thoughts turn to the jounin. I should go ask if he's out of surgery yet but I can't just leave Naruto alone...

"Iruka-sensei."

For the second time in as many minutes, the poor teacher is spooked by a voice that shouldn't have been able to sneak up on him. Whipping around, a kunai clutched in on hand, his eyes land on Suma sprawled across what can only be Naruto's legs. "S...suma!"

Ignoring the stutter, the summon cocks her head to the side. "You do realize that you speak outloud. Oh and Iruka-sensei? I would sit down if I was you. Before you fall down." She makes it a statement, not a question and she idly licks at a paw, claws spread wide. "I'll stay with Naruto. You go find out what you can about Kakashi. How is Genma-san? I tracked his scent to the hospital."

"His leg is broken. That's all."

"Hm. Odd. Kakashi seriously injuried and Genma-san with only a broken leg." Those green eyes lock onto a spot on the wall as she rolls the information around in her mind. Iruka having learnt that this particular summon was highly intelligent and used for scouting, relying and spying. "Hm. I must speak with Genma-san." Just as she begins to rise, her ears twitch and she pauses, listening intently to something then settles herself right back down.

Staring in confusion at the cat, he suddenly hears what she obviously heard and his head turns towards the door as a loud, protesting voice mingles with two firm voices. Akiko-sensei appears, inching sideways with an arm belonging to a protesting Genma slung over her shoulders; the man arguing the entire time that he rather go home and rest. Raidou appears next, having Genma's other arm hanging over his shoulders, the two of them guiding him forward towards the empty bed across from Naruto's.

"Shut up, Shiranui-san or I will kick your ass, broken leg or no broken leg." Akiko grounds out as she literally dumps him half on the bed, moving to the other side to haul him the rest of the way as Raidou helps. "The pout doesn't work. After two kids of my own and half a dozen nieces and nephews and the countless kids I treated over the years, I've become immune. Now will will settle down or I will drug you into a coma until your leg heals. Do I make myself clear?" Her eyes land on Raidou. "And you! Do NOT encourage him. If I find out that he is not resting, your visitation rights will be terminated. Immediately. Jounin you might be, but I am the one in charge here."

"Anou..."

Three pairs of eyes all land on the chuunin trying to get their attention and said teacher turns red when all of them look at him like that.

Sparing a glance at Naruto who by now is sleeping, he turns back to the others and rubs a hand over the bridge of his nose. "How is Kakashi? What happened? Why was he so badly hurt when Genma-san didn't have any serious injuries?"

Silence fills the air as the only one who can answer those questions stays quiet. Raidou looks down at the other man and lightly touches his shoulder. "He deserves to know, Genma. What DID happen out there? The mission was to be a simple drop-off and pickup."

Eyes flickering to the slumbering twelve year old, he sighs heavily and motions them closer. "Hokage-sama didn't say I couldn't tell but the details are a bit sketchy for me. We were on our way back. The exchange went off without a hitch. That's when we were ambushed. Twenty of them. At least half were jounin level and the rest chuunin. We didn't stand a chance yet they weren't after the scrolls. I don't know what they wanted. All they did was toy with us. After they broke my leg, they pretty much ignored me and focused on Kakashi. That's why he is in such bad shape and I'm not." He looks at Suma who just leapt up on his sheet covered legs. "It was like they were less out to kill us and more wanting to see how far they could push us, him. Some time later they got bored and left. Kakashi was barely conscious. I dragged myself up, found a branch strong enough to use as a crutch and somehow managed to get us both back here." He stops speaking and a frown spreads across his face. "I don't remember how we got back. The last thing I remember is collapsing, Kakashi dragging me down and then hitting the ground."

"That's it?"

"Yea."

"Strange."

"No, not really."

Everyone looks down at the cat, her eyes on the window as if she is seeing something only she can. Genma frowns at her. "What do you mean?"

"At first, I thought I was imaging it but the scent was there. That should have alerted me instantly. After nine years, I thought it was wishful thinking. That my mistress was back. But I discarded the thought, even though I knew that only the Tamanazi clan had a contract with the larger cats. Yayoi and Miyai's scents were all over both you and Kakashi. As was my mistress'."

"Haya's back?"

"So it would seem."

"Are you sure?"

"No. I'm not. Miyai's and Yayoi's scents vanished within sight of the gates. Haya knows how to mask her's and has probably been doing so since she left on her mission. The most likely explanation is that she came across the two of you and brought you the rest of the way here then left you within sight of the gate guards. Before going to complete her mission. If she is in the village, I will not know until she makes her presence known."

Iruka, feeling slightly ill, moves back to Naruto's side of the room and drops down on the bed, reaching out to smooth back the messy blond hair. What does this mean for me...? Now that she is probably back, that means I'll be an interloper. Will she think that I've stolen her place in their family? I wonder if I can get my old apartment back. If not, I should start looking for another place as soon as I can. Alone in his thoughts he doesn't see the worried glances thrown in his direction then a pair of narrowing green eyes. The sudden surge of pain along his leg makes him howl in shock as he whips out a kunai to attack whatever just attacked him only to get a faceful of brown fur and snarling green eyes.

"You fool! How dare you think that you will be thrown to the side now that she's back. Do you honestly believe that Kakashi or Naruto will so easily discard you? They both care for you in more ways then you realize, idiot! Don't you ever trivialize their feelings. Haya would never ask them to." Suma growls at the man, having knocked him flat and stands on his chest as she bares her teeth at him, ears flat to her skull. "You are part of this family and believing yourself as unimportant is an insult on not just you but all of us."

"That's enough, Suma." Raidou pries the enraged animal from Iruka and quickly deposits her by Naruto's head who is still dead asleep. Grumbling, she curls up by his shoulder and glares banefully at Iruka, muttering under her breathe.

Akiko makes a noise in the back of her throat as she approaches, dropping into a crouch to examine his bleeding leg. "Hold still." She pulls a kunai from a pocket and slices open his pants' leg and places her glowing hand to his skin. "This will be a bit painful but don't move." The deep gash and teeth marks knit themselves close as the muscle throbs painfully then just as quickly, the pain is gone. "The muscle and skin will be tender for few days. Don't put to much weight on it for the rest of the day. Light activity for two days."

"Hai."


Meanwhile

A silent figure partially hidden in shadows stares down at the heavily bandaged man on the bed, hooked up on a half dozen machines that work on monitoring his condition or keeping him breathing. Moving forward, the figure lightly touches the unconscious one's cheek then the hand drops and then leaves the room without being seen. Haya emerges around a corner and has to stop in order to fight down her emotions. Seeing her best friend in such a condition still hurting. Swallowing down the bile that wants to rise up, she quickly puts as much distance between Kakashi's room and her location in the hallway. Needing to find Naruto and see him. She passes by a room when a familiar voice catchs her attention and she hesitates. Genma. That's right he was hurt too. I should visit him but...Naruto... She wars with herself for a moment. Five minutes. He is my friend too. Her feet carry her into the room and then she freezes. There more people in the room then she expected. Her eyes dance across the room, mentally ticking off those she knows. Genma. Raidou. Of course he would be here. Akiko. Unknown male. Suma. A bund.......wait. Suma?! What is she doing here?

"Suma?"

Heads swirl in her direction as five pairs of eyes land on her and instantly the room is overflowing with three different voices.

"........."

"Haya."

Her attention is drawn downwards to her summon. "Do I want to know what's going on here?"

"No."

"You're angry."

"Not at you. At that fool."

"Eh. Which fool, Suma?"

"Ah, that's right. You don't know Iruka-sensei."

"Who?"

"Him. The fool sitting by Naruto."

"He doesn't look much like an idiot to me. ....Wait!? Naruto is here?"

"I just said that, I do believe."

"...Right. My mistake."

"But to answer your question, yes he is. He found Kakashi."

"What? That's impossible. I left Kakashi and Genma by the gates. I would have dropped them at the hospital but I had to speak with Sandaime immediately. Neither Yayoi nor Miyai picked up any scents beyond Izumo and Kotetsu's."

"That's because Kakashi somehow dragged himself from the gates to your house. Naruto saw him collapse from his window and vaulted to the ground while screaming the whole time. Iruka-sensei brought him here while I went searching for Genma-san. I then tracked his scent from the gates to the hospital. Naruto is currently sleeping off his shock. Akiko-sensei treated him, he'll be fine."

Relief makes her shoulders sag and she nods before crossing the room to sit at her son's bedside, sliding her fingers along his hair gently then presses a soft kiss to the top of his head. Sensing eyes on her, she looks sideways at the man sitting at Naruto's feet. Smiling at him, she straightens to face him fully. "I apologize. We were never properly introduced. I'm Tamanazi Haya. It is a pleasure to met you, Umino-sensei."

Feeling taken back, he nods in reply then speaks faintly. "It's nice to meet you too, Tamanazi-san. I'm Umino Iruka. Please call me Iruka-sensei."

Her mouth quirks in a smile again as she chuckles. "If I'm going to be calling you by your first name, Iruka-sensei then I demand to be called Haya. No suffix needed. Ah! I mean it. Whenever someone says Tamanazi-san, I look around for my mother. I'm just plain Haya." She cuts off his protests without allowing him to get a word in. The look in her eyes silently urging him to not fight her over this.

"Alright, Haya....."

The grin flickered at him causing him to blush as she reaches over to pat him on the shoulder. "Good."

"Hey! You haven't even came and told me hi yet!"

A loud protest fills the air as Genma mockscowls at his friend. "Well?"

Haya slides off the bed and pauses next to Iruka then scoops down to kiss his cheek then whispers. "Thank you."

Slackjawed, he watches her move across the room as hoots erupt from Genma's bed.

"Wait until I tell Kakashi you kissed Iruka-sensei!"

"Pah! Like that's going to make him jealous? You have another thing coming, Genma."

"He....hey! Stop!" Yelps echo around the room as Haya literally dives on top of the other jounin and gets him into a headlock, roughly puffing up his hair. "Raidou!"

More laughter fills the little room as old friends are reunioned after almost ten years apart. Iruka feeling a pang in his chest as he watches a laughing Raidou haul Haya off his lover, tossing her over his shoulder only end up stockstill from her kissing him squarely on the mouth. The noise level causes Naruto to grunt and start to wake up. Iruka, never looking away from the scene before him, reaches out to peel some of the blankets off; Genma now shouting something about defending his Raidou's honor and cutting off that damn braid of Haya's if she doesn't stop groping his man. Her voice counterpointing his as she tells him archly that she was just dusting off some dirt from his backside.

Naruto's eyes grow wide as he sees the woman squawking between Raidou and Genma, the two having pinned her. "Mom!" He leaps from the bed and darts across the room at top speed, crashing into the woman, knocking them both flat. Raidou grins as he drops off the wall, where he jumped to safety upon seeing the blond bullet heading straight for them and lands lightly then moves over to Iruka.

"You're part of the family too, Iruka-sensei. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Blood doesn't make a family. Affection is the key to having a family."

The words wash over him as he regards the people before him, listening to Akiko-sensei snap and argue that they aren't doing her patient any good by roughhousing with him. Affection obvious in her tone as she scolds all three.

"You're right, Raidou-san."

"Of course."

"If only Kakashi was here."

"He's alive. That's what matters."

"Thank you."

"No problem. Just promise that you won't sideline yourself."

"I won't."

"Good. Now let's go get something to eat for this bunch. Haya looks ready to collapse herself. She'll feel better after eating." Nudging the younger man out of the door, they both glance back as the arguing racks up several decibels. Sharing a look, they exit the room before laughing.

A pair of smug green eyes follow them out as Suma makes herself comfortable on the mound of warm blankets Naruto just discarded.

Life is good. Now if only someone would get me a tuna steak.