Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ Beginnings and Changes ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Don’t own. Original characters are mine.

Twice in two days? Must be a new record. The story has a ways to go before being complete but it’s getting there. Sasuke and Sakura are finally making their appearance. Basically, I’m just letting the chapters come out as they will. Works better that way then to micro plan every single detail.

Please take the time to review.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --

<I>Roughly five months later</I>

“You should do it.”

Placing a plate heaped with toast, sausages and eggs on the table, Haya regards the man sitting across from where she’s standing.

“Why?”

“You’re need a break. Training a genin team will give you one.”

“I’m fine.”

“If you are so ‘fine’ then why did you almost send a half dozen kunai at Naruto and Suma when they burst into the house last night?”

“Maaa, you’re just overacting, Haya.”

“Alright how about this one: I don’t trust anyone else to be Naruto’s jounin-sensei. Hokage-sama has been commenting that he wants you to teach a team. You’ve been on several dangerous missions over the last year. He thinks you need a break.”

“I would make a terrible sensei.”

“Nonsense, Kakashi. You just don’t want to. But Naruto isn’t the only reason I would like you to take a genin team. Sandaime wants you also to teach Uchiha Sasuke. There’s no one else who can.” Without looking at him, she piles food onto four plates, setting them in their spots. She turns and moves towards the counter, lifting the pot of tea and three mugs, placing them down before she goes back for a carton of milk.

“Are you two arguing again?” A new voice interrupts them as Iruka enters the kitchen, stopping at the table to pour three mug full of tea.

“No loud voices, Iruka.”

“Maaaa, Haya is just trying to talk me into being a sensei to a team of brats.”

“I think it’s a good idea.”

“……..”

“Despite the facts you’re lazy, always late and are a porn-reading pervert, you would make a good teacher. You have the patience to deal with them.”

“…….”

“Don’t forget to mention that he takes pleasure in tormenting others.” A purring voice comes from below them as Suma gracefully leaps onto a chair and sniffs at the food on the table.

“Thanks, cat.”

“My pleasure, Kakashi.”

“No eating off the table, Suma.” Haya stalks over, grabbing her summon by the back of her neck and drops her onto the floor. “Your breakfast is in your bowl. Or if you don’t want it then I suggest you go hunt.”

“Hmph.” She moves towards her bowl and sniffs delicately then begins eating.

Holding back a grin, Iruka covers his mouth with a hand as he takes his place at the small table. “At least think about it, Kakashi. It wouldn’t hurt.”

Kakashi opens his mouth to argue that it would hurt, thank you very much when footsteps pound from upstairs and a blond blur charges into the kitchen. He flinches and his hand darts to the holster located on his upper thigh.

“See! You aren’t fine. Don’t pretend that you are, idiot. I swear, I should haul your lazy ass right back to the hospital and make them keep you there for another two weeks so they can give you another mental evaluation!”

“Kakashi, she’s right. It’s clear that you aren’t fine. You’re showing all the signs of mental distress.“ Iruka pauses then adds in a light tone of voice. “I can always call Akiko-sensei to come and give you a checkup.”

“No! You keep that sadist away from me.” His eye widens then clamps down on his shock and levels a glare at his friend.

“Aww, the big bad Copy Nin is scared of a little old medic?”

“When it comes to Akiko, yes.”

Muffled laughter comes from Haya and Iruka as both grin at the irritated silver haired man glowering back at them.

“You’re so cute when you get that look on your face.”

“Haya.” The word is grounded out from between gritted teeth as Sharingan Kakashi fixes his single visible eye on her. Instead of making the laughter decrease, it only gets louder as both chuunin and jounin lean heavily on each other.

Naruto sweat drops as he watches the adults then leaps to his feet as his eyes go the clock hanging on the wall. “Iruka-sensei, we’re going to be late!”

Brown eyes flicker to the clock and widen before the man jerks away and hurries scoops up some eggs and sausage onto two pieces of toast, mashing it together. Barely waving goodbye, he bolts for the entranceway with Naruto fast on his heels. The two taking off for the Academy.

Haya’s lingering laughter dies away as her eyes land on her friend and moves around the table to cup the side of his masked face. “Look, I just want you to consider it, alright? I might have been gone for the last nine years but rumors about you, the infamous Copy Nin, Sharingan Kakashi reached even where I was. When I said that I better hear good things about you, I didn’t mean for you to take me literally. You’ve done so much and deserve a break. I have to go meet with Sandaime. Send Suma if you need anything.” Stepping away, she vanishes with a faint puff of smoke.

He stares at the spot she just inhabited then turns his attention to the food on the table, only then noticing that Haya’s plate is empty. Grinning under his mask, he rises to clear off the table, putting the leftover food in the fridge. Thinking back over the last few months since Haya reentered their lives. <I>‘Has been a change. Having her around again. Iruka had no idea about his place in the house anymore. To actually believe he thought he wasn’t wanted here.’ </I>

-Flashback-

<I>“What?”

“Do I need to find a new apartment?”

“I heard you the first time.”

“Answer the question.”

“No.”

“No?”

“No, I will not answer the question and no, you are not moving out.”

“I’m not needed here anymore.”

“I wouldn’t say that if I was you, Iruka-sensei.”

“Stay out of this, Suma.”

“I’m sorry, Kakashi, but I will not. Iruka-sensei needs to have his common sense knocked back in. And here I had believed that he was intelligent.”

“For once, I’m agreeing with you, cat.”

“Would you both just shut up? I am moving out and that’s final. Haya-san is back and I’m not needed. I’m just a third wheel….”

“Finish that sentence and I will claw your eyes out, <b>sensei.</b>”

“What’s going on here?”

Three pairs of eyes flash instantly to the doorway, a curious Haya standing there.

“Umm….”

“Maaa, nothing.”

“Iruka-sensei is being an even bigger idiot then Kakashi and Naruto combine. May I be allowed to claw his eyes out?”

“…Okay…how about we sit down and discuss this like the adults we are?”

Silence as the men look at one another while an increasingly irate bobcat waits to be acknowledged by her mistress.

“Eh…”

“That’s fine.”

“I want to claw his eyes out, Haya.”

“Cat, go away.”

Bristling fur as the cat prepares to launch herself at the smirking jounin. Only to vanish in a cloud of smoke that ripples away.

“Now sit.”

Three chairs drag backwards as bodies settle in them. A pair of brown eyes look between Kakashi and Iruka, fingers tapping the tabletop lightly. Silence reigning in the kitchen before Haya speaks.

“Is either of you going to elaborate on what I walked in on?” A pause as she waits then sighs. “No takers? Right then, I’ll guess. Iruka, you believe that you have no role in this family anymore, do you? That you are excess baggage and need to be tossed out.”

“I wouldn’t say it like that but yes. I’m not needed here anymore.”

“Fool.” Warm affection removes the string of the word as she reaches across the table to grasp his hand. “Blood is not what creates a family. It’s tears, laughter, happiness and love that forges a bond between people. Helping each other, being there for them when they need it. All that is more important then what flows in our veins. Some people are lucky. Their biological family are always there for them. Others aren’t so lucky. They instead go and make themselves a new family. From those around them that care.” Her eyes stay on his face intently as she squeezes on his hand, refusing to let go as she tries to make him understand. “Family bleeds for each other. Not only physically but emotionally. You’re part of this family, Iruka. Part of us. As we are part of you. Don’t belittle our feelings for you. We’re a mismatched bunch but we care for each other.” She trails off as she gives his hand one last squeeze then lets go, sitting back in her chair.

“Tell me you understand.”

“I….”

“Iruka.”

Tear-filled brown eyes raise to look up at Kakashi’s one and he sniffs, rubbing at his face.

“We need you. Here. Otherwise we aren’t complete. Naruto needs you here. Even Suma would be upset if you left and that mangy cat doesn’t like anyone.”

Feeling overwhelmed, Iruka can only scrub at his eyes with his fingers until his hands are brushed to the side and a soft towel is rubbed across his tear-streaked face.

“Shhh. You don’t have to decide right now but think about it. Don’t jump into the decision without thinking it through. You have all the time in the world.” Lightly, Haya presses a kiss to his forehead as she pushes a kleenex into his hands.

Blowing his nose, he bunches up the tissue in his fist and lifts his head to stare at the two older shinobi standing before him. Slowly, he nods as his mouth stays pressed tightly closed. Jerking when a gentle hand lands on top of his head.

“I don’t want you to leave.”

His head flies up to lock gazes with Kakashi and flushes on seeing so many emotions in that eye. Forcing himself to look away, he can only whisper. “I need time to think.”

“Of course. This is a huge decision and can’t be made quickly.” Urging Kakashi away from Iruka, she places her hands on his shoulders and leans forward to whisper in his ear. “Why don’t you go to bed and rest? I’ll keep Naruto and Kakashi away from you tonight.” A bare pause then she continues on, her words picking up speed. “Please, just don’t be rash. We need you. You provide us a balance we wouldn’t otherwise have.” Once those words pass her lips, she steps away from him and pushes Kakashi into the living room to give him privacy. </I>

-End flashback-

<I>‘Maaa, that was a tough three weeks. I don’t know what Suma said to him but whatever it was got through to him in a way nothing else did. Hmm should I get her a tuna steak? ….Naw.’</I>

His thoughts now turn to teaching and rolls the idea around his brain then shrugs a shoulder. “Why not?”

“The first sign of insanity is speaking to yourself.”

Cheerfully, without looking at her. “Go choke on a fish bone, cat.”

“I believe that I rather cough up a hairball on your Icha Icha Paradise book.”

“Do it and die.”

“If you can catch me.”

“Hm. I wonder what roasted cat tastes like.”

“Just try it, dog-boy, and you’ll be screaming soprano.”

“Maaa, that’s not nice.”

“Who said I was suppose to be nice? If you want nice have Haya summon Kaori.”

Sparing a look around the kitchen, his hands flash through the seals and leaves leap up around him. Suma’s indignant squawking fading fast and he appears behind several of his comrades in the Hokage’s office.

Several people look up, all startled and the Hokage levels him a look from under his hat. “Nice to see you decided to come, Kakashi.”

“Maa, sorry I’m late, Hokage-sama, I had a fight to the death with a mangy cat.”

“Yea, a green eyed cat.” A voice mutters somewhere behind Kakashi and he beams over at Genma who just smirks right back.

“Amen.”

They all instantly come to attention and face the man sitting behind the desk, a crystal ball resting on a cushion in front of him. “As you all know, two years ago we had a student graduate the Academy but I withheld the title of genin from him. Starting today, he is officially a genin. He will be placed on a team with two others. Kakashi. You will be in charge of that team.”

Shouts of outrage fill the air as most of the jounins express just how they feel over such a decision.

“Enough!” Staring down everyone, Sandaime regains control of the meeting and clears his throat. “There are several reasons for my placing Kakashi as team seven’s jounin-sensei. First, Uchiha Sasuke will be on that team. As the only other Sharingan user in the village, Kakashi is the only one who will be able to teach him. Second, very few of you have shown any tolerance towards Naruto. Outside of Genma, Raidou and Iruka-sensei, none of you have even made an effect to get to know the boy. I can not spare neither Genma nor Raidou from their duties at this time. Haya is likewise engaged in other duties. I will not place Naruto under any jounin who might wish him harm. This will never be discussed again.”

Mumbled agreement comes from everyone there.

Kakashi ignores the looks thrown his way as he keeps his complete attention on the globe before him.

“Now, I called you all here to see the this year’s graduating class.”

<I>At the Academy</I>

Naruto settles down in his seat and looks around excitedly then meets Iruka’s amused gaze. Flushing, he looks away only to see Sakura and Ino dart into the classroom. Turning even redder, he stares at the girl he has a crush on. Only to be pushed to the side so she can get to Sasuke, sitting silently on his other side. Leaping to his feet, he climbs over the desks to crouch in front of the dark-haired boy.

The sounds of the girls fighting in the background barely crossing his mind as he scowls at the other boy. Their gazes locked as they just stare at one another then Naruto’s eyes go wide as he flies forward, locking lips with Sasuke.

Dead silence fills the classroom as another boy yelps out a quick, ‘I’m sorry!’ before he dives under the bench. Slowly Naruto turns to look over his shoulder, hands to his mouth. Sasuke coughing on the floor and muttering curses at the blond.

“Eh……whoops?!”

“YOU’RE SO DEAD!”

Like a stampede, all but one of the girls in the class attack Naruto, beating him into a pulp before Iruka can rush to his rescue.


<I>Back at the Hokage’s office</I>


Silent disbelief filters through the room as everyone just stares down at the sight of a bloody and bruised Naruto being tended to by Iruka.

“Haya, settle down. You too, Kakashi.” Two seconds pass before he sighs. “No, Genma. You nor Raidou may go kill Sasuke. Or the girls.”

A loud protest starts to form before being brutally cut off as Raidou wraps an arm around his partner’s head, blocking all sound from escaping. “My apologizes, Hokage-sama. He didn’t mean it.”

Muffled words sounding suspiciously like, ‘of course I did!’ manage to make it pass the barrier of flesh and cloth. They’re swiftly followed by a yelp and then another one.

Placing his hand to his forehead, Sandaime sighs once more, eyes closing as his supposedly elite jounin start scrabbling among themselves like children.

“Hokage-sama?”

A female voice coming from his elbow startles him and he opens his eyes to look up at the redhead standing there. He summons a smile for her and rises to his feet. “Come with me, Haya.” He doesn’t miss the look she shoots her over shoulder but follows him out into his private balcony.

“I had Kakashi in mind ever since Naruto took the scroll two years ago. He’s one of only five people who can control Naruto. Raidou nor Genma teach. Iruka is chuunin and that removes him from the list. That left two. Kakashi or yourself. While I know that you would like to be a jounin-sensei, I need your help with the upcoming Chuunin Exam. I could switch Genma and Kakashi but we all know what happens when paperwork and Kakashi meets.”

The old man removes his pipe from his mouth, gazing down at the vast village before them. “Placing Naruto on the team his father is in charge of is the only option. Not only has Kakashi been training him in his free time, Genma, Raidou and Iruka have all been doing the same. He’s ahead of his classmates, in terms of skills.”

Staying quiet for a moment, she considers what she was just told and nods, leaning on the railing to stare down at her home. “Why allow them to do that? If it only is pushing him ahead of everyone else in his age group?”

“He needs to learn as much as he can, Haya, or he will never survive. There is still much he can learn from the four of you. Raidou has been showing him how to use a katana. After the Exam, would you both consider allowing him to leave to go train outside of Konoha? He has great potential and as strong as both you and Kakashi are, there are things neither of you will be able to train him in.”

“…We’ll have to think it over, Hokage-sama. If we agree to that, it really depends on who will be his sensei.” Her eyes never stray from the sight stretching out in all directions below them. “He’s grown so much as it is. So many years I missed out on. The only thing I can pass onto him is my clan’s specialty.”

“Hm.” Contently he inhales on the end of his pipe and finally turns to face the woman, knowing she needs reassurance. “Naruto was very well taken care of while you were gone. You laid the foundation. Kakashi built on it. Your influence lingered despite you not being there. One just had to look to see it.” He turns away from her, moving towards the half opened door. “I believe they have calmed down by now.”

Keeping her head turned away, she wrestles her emotions back under control then quickly follows the elderly man back into the room. Meeting Raidou’s eyes, they share a look before she takes her place by Genma.

“Speak to Iruka-sensei today to get each of your team assignments. Dismissed unless anyone has questions.” All the jounin instantly leave except for Raidou. Amusement lodges on his face as he chuckles to himself and nods to the man. “You may go as well, I have some paperwork to do and that will be boring.”

Puzzlement spreads across his face as he stares down at the leader of Konoha. “I shouldn’t, Sandaime.”

“Raidou, I am perfectly safe within my own office.”

“Of course, Hokage-sama.” Bowing, he vanishes in a cloud of smoke, leaving the other man alone for nearly the first time that day.

<I>Back at the Academy</I>

Iruka finishes correcting homework and glances up at the three still waiting for their sensei. He fights back a smile, knowing exactly who their sensei is and glances over at Naruto then allows his gaze to move to Sasuke and Sakura, the latter trying to get the former’s attention. With a shake of his head, he stacks up the completed homework, placing it in a drawer then rises to his feet.

“Alright, I’m leaving. You three better wait for your sensei.”

“Nani?! Already, Iruka-sensei?”

“Yes, Naruto. Your new sensei will be here soon.” <I>‘I hope. If not he’s going to hear about it tonight.’</I>

Nodding goodbye to them, he lifts his bag off the back of his chair and leaves the classroom. Slides the door shut behind him, he pauses and looks over at it then chuckles and turns to leave when he collides with someone. Hands grab hold of his shoulders to steady him and he looks up quickly to see Kakashi grinning like a loon down at him.

“Kakashi? You…”

The words get cut off as the taller man leans down and kisses him hard on the mouth. Protests start then fade away as he gives into the kiss. Just as he starts to get into it, the memory of the kids waiting several hours comes back to him and he yanks himself backwards while throwing a punch at the jounin.

“You!”

“Maaaaa, no need for violence, Iruka.”

A smile is beamed at him and that’s when he realizes that the mask is hanging around his neck.

“………..”

“What’s that, Iruka?”

“Nothing. But you should pull your mask up. Someone might see you. Suzume-sensei is a gossip and what your face looks like will be known from one end of the village to the other by nightfall.”

“Hm. Wouldn’t want that, now would we?” He tugs the mask back into place and pats him on the cheek lightly. “Better get in there before they tear the place apart.” He starts to slide the door open when Iruka lets out a shriek that rattles doors up and down the hall.

“KAKASHI! YOU PERVERT!”

Laughing, he darts through the doorway and yanks it shut behind him then leans against it as it rattles twice in rapid succession. Turning his one eye on his new students, he smiles brightly at them.

“First lesson! How to escape an irate chuunin.”

Darting across the door, he leaps out of the window, landing easily, never missing a beat as he races across the yard. Shouts echoing after him then a hoot of laughter. A crash causes him to look over his shoulder and sees Naruto rolling to his feet and shaking glass off him before giving chase. His other two students hesitating before the boy drags the girl along.

<I>‘This is going to be fun.’</I>

Leading them on a merry chase, they finally arrive at the location Kakashi had in mind. He watches cheerfully as they drop heavily onto the stone steps and smirks to himself as he settles down on the railing.

“Dad…..” Cue up the whining as his son struggles upright into a sitting position.

“A ninja must build up their stamina.”

“Wa….WAIT! He’s your father?!” An angry shriek comes from Bubblegum Head sitting next to Emo-boy.

“Hai?”

“That’s favoritism!”

“Yes, it can be seen as that but there are reasons why I am Naruto’s jounin-sensei, and no, I am not telling what they are.” The look he gives her quells the pre-teen before she can start ranting about how unfair that is. Dragging his attention to the subject at hand. “Alright! Time to introduce ourselves. I’ll go first so you’ll get an idea.”

Cupping his chin, he grins. “I’m Hatake Kakashi. I have no desire to talk about my likes and dislikes. Dreams for the future? Hmm..well, I have many hobbies.” Trails off as he looks at the children.

Bubblegum Head is preparing to open her mouth to introduce herself, something Kakashi already knows from reading their school folders, when a bird soars past overhead and he looks up. “Hm.”

Dragging himself to his feet, he nods at them. “Meet me at Training Field Three at five am. Don’t eat breakfast.” Without another word, he vanishes leaving the three other members of team seven to stare at the spot he was just occupying before they turn their gazes on one another.

“I have to get home!” Naruto bounds to his feet before racing off without saying anything else to his new teammates. Racing down the street, he dodges around people, some of whom throw objects at him. He avoids the objects with the sad ease of practice and soon is charging through the gates that divide his home from the rest of Konoha. “Mom! Iruka-sensei! Guess what! Dad is my sensei!”

The house is empty and silent, causing him to halt in the middle of the floor and look around then his shoulders slump as he goes back to shut the door. <I>‘Where did they go?’</I>

“CONGRATULATIONS NARUTO!

Yelping like a girl, he lands on his ass as several people appear in the living room along with two dozen animals, smoke twirling around them as it fades.

“Huh?!”

“Surprise.”

His mother’s hand appears in his face and he slowly grasps it, letting her haul him to his feet and he stares her in the face. Just noticing that she is the exact same height he is. “Mom…you’re short.”

Haya pulls a face as she eyeballs her son. “Yes, thank you so much for pointing that out, Naruto. I never realized just how short I was before.”

Embarrassed, he rubs the back of his head as he laughs weakly. “Ehehehehe…..” Then jumps as an arm drops across his shoulder and he looks up at his godfather.

“Well, brat, even though you graduated two years ago, you are now officially a genin. Able to start your oh-so-wonderful career as a shinobi. Here” A box is pushed into his face, causing his eyes to cross and he reaches up to take it as a hand roughly yanks on his hair making him scowl.

He rips open the package and peers inside then his face lights up on seeing the senbons. “Thanks!”

“No problem, brat.”

Presents get piled up by the wall as Naruto instantly goes to his parents’ summons and start talking excitingly to them.

“I have an announcement to make.” Haya speaks up after placing a cake on the table set up for food and drinks. “I think now would be the best time, while all of you are here so you’ll hear it straight from me and not through the gossip vine.” She watches all eyes turn in her direction, all of them curious as to what she has to say. The summons looking far too amused as does the Hokage.

“I’m pregnant.”

Those words kill all sound as eyes widen then instantly voices overlap as everyone tries to talk at the same time.

“YES! I’M GONNA HAVE A BABY BROTHER!”

Naruto flies across the room to tackle his mother, arms looping around her as he hugs her tightly.

“It might be a baby sister.”

“Nani?! …Whatever! I’m going to be a big brother!”

“Pregnant…..she’s pregnant…” Dizzy, he drops into a chair then decides putting his head between his knees is a better idea and slumps forward, throwing himself out of the chair.

“Hah! Kakashi is going to be a daddy. Again.”

“It might be Iruka’s. She is sleeping with both of them.”

“Congratulations.” Smiling at them, he wishes them luck as he goes to the food table and selects something to eat and drink, ignoring the chaos around him.

“Thank you, Hokage-sama.” Rubbing Naruto’s head as he presses his ear to her flat stomach. “Naruto, it’s much to soon. Try that in a few months and you’ll be able to feel the baby move.”

“But…”

“Growing babies take time.”

“…..Growing? Like a tree grows apples?”

“Close.” She tugs on a strand of his hair before she moves over to Iruka and Kakashi. “Done having a panic attack yet, you two?”

“Tell that to Kakashi.” Crouching next to the curled up man, he tries his best to get him to roll over and sighs. “You could have told us first.”

“This way was more fun.”

“I shouldn’t be surprised. You might claim otherwise but you enjoy pranks as much as he does.”

A grin flashed at him. “Of course. I’m a Tamanazi.”

“….Baby…..pregnant. Oh my god. I’m going to be a father.”

“You’re already one. Or have you forgotten about Naruto?”

“It’s the shock, he never thought that Naruto wouldn’t be the only child in this household.”

She nods as she stands next to the kneeling chuunin and places a hand on his shoulder, squeezing. “Makes sense.” A beat later. “Are you alright?”

“Me?” Brown eyes look up at her as he gets the semi-conscious man to sit up against him and frowns at her. “I’m fine. Oh…about that. Yes. A surprise but a pleasant one. ..Do you know…?”

“Nope. I rather not. With luck the baby will take after me so her or his parentage will be partially not known. This child is going to have two fathers. I don’t care which one of you is the biological parent. Does it matter to you?”

“At one time? It would have. That was before Naruto and becoming part of this family. Now, no. The baby will be loved regardless.”

“Good. Now I don’t know about you but I’m starving.”

She winks at him then snickers at the glazed expression on Kakashi’s face. Moving away, she mingles with the rest of their extended family. As he watches, Genma scoops her up in his arms and plants a kiss on her cheek. A smile spreads across his face as he watches his family. Glances down at the man leaning against him and kisses him on the cheek, just above the spot mask meets bare flesh.

“I’m glad you finally learned what it means to have a family.”

Startled, Iruka looks up to meet the amused eyes of Akiko and Suma, the cat draped across the doctor’s shoulders.

“Yes, I have.”

He smiles up at her as she reaches out to help him to his feet.

“Now how about we get this lug somewhere flat so I can make sure he didn’t shake something important loose?”

“Hai.”

Across the room, reflecting the light, four pictures stare out from their spots on a well-built shine. Two of them seeming to move and smile at the scene in front of them, as a ghostly voice sounding across the years.

<I>‘Thank you, Haya-chan. You have done a better job then I ever hoped for.’</I>