Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Asylum ❯ ARC1: Day2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

ARC 1: Day 2
 
AN: I made Naruto's Frog Pouch orange.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto and Characters.
Thanks: To my wonderful beta-er, Susan.
 

 
When I woke up in the institution for the very first time, I felt great. There was no annoying cousin who would rudely awake me; there was no irritating uncle who ruined my entire day.
 
There was only a color-blind roommate, who had been staring at me ever since I woke up.
 
His eerie big baby-blue eyes stared intensely at me, blinking only once in a while. He was holding something disgustingly orange in his hands, which almost blended in with his orange attire.
 
When I got up, the eyes followed me. When I made my bed 7 times, the stare intensified. When I got dressed, the stare followed me to the bathroom. When I combed my hair with 7 times 7 efficient strokes, his stare never faltered. When I brushed my teeth with 7 times 7 strokes, his stare followed every move. When I swallowed my medicine with 7 gulps of water, his stare bore in my back. And when I tied my shoes a total of 7 times, his stare caught every move I made.
 
But that's okay; let him stare! He probably never saw such a genius like me before.
 
“Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey.. do you like frogs?” And he actually went as far as to show me his awfully disgusting.. frog pouch.
 
Perhaps he really is plain retarded.
 
I sighed heavily, before making my way to the exit. I did not need to waste my time trying to understand what was going on in that idiot's mind.
 
After I ate my usual 7-pieces breakfast, I made my way over to another wing of the building.
 
You see, apparently I had a group session right about now. The one responsible for my tardiness was this staff member who accidentally forgot to give me my schedule last night.
 
After I got lost thrice, I finally found the right wing. And after searching a little bit, also the right door. I looked up to the sign next to the door. Room 1.7A.
 
Well.. there was one `7' on the sign.
 
I knocked one time, before visibly hesitating and knocking another 6 times, before opening the door and stepping inside.
 
29 eyes looked up, (29 because there was one girl who had this bang in front of her eyes, so I couldn't really see what was behind it) and a few smiled hesitantly at me. My stupid blonde roommate (How did he get here before me anyway?) was one of those people, though his smile was more of an idiotic grin. 7 people on one side of the room, 7 people on the other side. In the middle there was a significantly older man. Probably the doctor.
 
“Including me there will be 15 patients,” was the first thing I said.
 
“You must be the new kid. Please sit down next to Sasuke.” On cue, a dark-haired boy scowled at me. I scowled back just as nasty as he did, not in the least taken back by his behavior.
 
“Are you aware that there might be someone killed, and that it would be my fault?” I asked the older man suspiciously, immediately receiving a snicker from One-Eye girl.
 
“You can't kill someone; you look too petite, un!” She- erm, HE said. He/She.. eh, whatever.
 
“Hn.” Sasuke agreed. Wow. Man of so many words.
 
“Is this everyone in the group?” I ignored the `Hn', and directed my attention to the older man again.
 
“Yes. Now please sit down, so we can begin.”
 
“Are you aware this group consists of 15 patients? Fifteen. Not fourteen?” I produced an almost nagging sound. I was pretty bored, after all.
 
“What's up with fourteen? Is that your lucky number or something?” My blond roommate asked me. Imagine my shock. Was he really THAT stupid? Wasn't he the one who stared non-stop at me this morning?
 
Didn't he already get this part? Hadn't he already seen me make my bed seven times, brush my teeth seven times, among a gazillion things I multiplied by seven?
 
“Seven is.” I stated, my eyes challenging him to ask me more.
 
“Oh. My lucky number is 9.” My roommate stated, and for a moment I thought he was absolutely crazy. Who in this world actually believed in lucky numbers in the first place?!
 
Oh.. right. I did.
 
I snorted, before making my way over to the Sas-kid or whatever his name was. Look, it wasn't like I was here to make friends, so I didn't really bother remembering names.
 
I sat down, and put my bag down. I checked my watch.
 
Of course I hesitated after the first time, and multiplied my task by seven.
 
“Dude, are you aware you're checking your watch an awful lot of times?” A boy asked me. Ah, it looked like one ran into my trap.
 
Now, please watch closely, because I am to perform a rather perfect piece of acting once more.
 
“Are you suggesting I should stop checking my watch?”
 
I waited until he was about to open his mouth again, before continuing, “Don't you understand what could happen if I didn't check it!? Can you imagine what would happen if I didn't check my watch just one time perfectly, and I wouldn't know the time! I.. Oh fuck, I don't even want to think about what could happen! You just.. Fuck you! Don't tell me what to do, okay?! I-.. I just.. these things I do, they are necessary! Okay?” I was breathing harshly when I was done speaking, so it really looked like these kind of things were a big deal to me.
 
And everyone was silent.
 
“Please calm down, boy.” The older man was the first one to reply. Eh, was this the only reaction I could get out of the old man? Did he deal with so much lunatic behavior every day that he was simply immune to outbursts like mine?
 
“Now, would you be so kind to as introduce yourself to your new group?” The older man asked me.
 
Oh, how I wished to simply say `no, I won't be so kind'.
 
But because I had already been labeled `crazy', I didn't really need even more attention than I was already receiving.
 
“My name is Hyuuga Neji.”
 
That had to be enough, didn't it?
 
(Clearly the group didn't agree with me. As soon as I gave no further indication of elaboration, the bomb burst.)
 
“Don't forget your lucky number! It's seven!” My roommate yelled.
 
“He must have amnesia! I bet it's amnesia, because he has to recheck things so much!” A pink-haired girl suddenly threw her fist in the air, chirping she was betting-..
 
Wait. What was she doing in the first place?!
 
“Yeah, I bet it's drugs! He must be a druggie, un!”
 
The fuck? I am NOT a druggie, thank you very much! Look at yourself, he/she-whatever-you-are, you look like you are stoned right now as well! Besides, what kinds of idiots end their lines with `un'?!
 
“Na-ah. Na-ah, na-ah, na-ah.. I bet he has the I'm-a-big-jerk syndrome!”
 
“Naruto, that's not a disorder!” The girl who started this stupid thing hit my roommate on his head. (Served him right)
 
“But Sakura-chan! He's my roomie, and he hasn't talked to me so far!” Came the wail, before he pulled his knees up and started rocking himself on his chair, groaning softly. Ugh, my roommate was so incredibly stupid.
 
“Agoraphobia.” What the..?! Even the Sas-kid next to me went along with this ridiculous.. thing.
 
“No, no, no! He must have OCD!” Came the very exuberant yell from a man somewhere in the corner.
 
“Gai, not everyone here has OCD.” Came the very dry reply from the man next to him.
 
“Then what do you, my Eternal Rival, think is his problem?” One of his eyebrows (both were very HUGE, if I may add) furrowed as he scrutinized the other man. Well, as far as you could see him. I mean, he practically had his whole face covered up with this scarf.
 
“I'll say.. bipolar.”
 
“Alcohol! Just look at his eyes. It must be alcohol!”
 
“Schizophrenia.”
 
Ugh. Most of them were throwing random disorders in the group, all betting on a different one. A few stayed awfully silent, probably because they had an anti-social disorder, or something along that line.
 
.. the scariest part? Probably that this Thick-Brows had guessed my disorder right. Ugh, how was I supposed to live this down?
 
“Cutting! Look at his long sleeves. I bet it's to hide millions and gazillions of scars!” This was getting rather annoying.
 
“I bet he has the brain of a five-year old!” Erase my last thought. This was getting very annoying. Extremely annoying.
 
“Anti-social.” Okay. That was it.
 
“OCD,” I said.
 
“No, you can't pick that one, Gai already picked it, and-.. wait, you have OCD?” God, was everyone around here this dense?
 
“I just said so. I have OCD.”
 
Silence.
 
Then the creepiest thing happened.
 
“It is 3-3, Eternal Rival! Thanks to this wonderful new young boy, I have once more defeated you! The score is even now!” And suddenly Thick-Brows bounced up from his chair, and posed for everyone to see. It was a really scary pose, because even his teeth went `Bling!'.
 
What the hell was wrong with him?
 
“You, OCD-kid! You should hang out with my group from now on! We'd be a great team! We could do all kind of cool and hip things after group session, because you see, I'm in my Springtime of Youth! Even though I'm already 26! YEAH! It'd be so great! You'd love it! You'd love me: I'm such a great guy to hang out with!”
 
“Sit down, Gai,” came the doctor's very calm reply. Was he used to this ... very much exuberant ... behavior?
 
“Now that we all know what Neji has got, we can begin our session.” Doctor continued talking, before looking at me, “Neji, your new group likes to play their so-called `guessing game'. They don't mean any harm whatsoever: in fact, nine out of ten times it even lightens the mood, and gets new people to talk about themselves.”
 
I felt like I was the exception on the case.
 
“I hate the game.” I bluntly replied, before watching the ground with a sour look. I heard a few angry whispers, but I didn't care enough to feel guilty. I was here to hide from my fate; not to make friends.
 
“That's just too bad, because we love this game, un,” The woman/man/whatever-he/she-was was the first one to speak up, “You know, you looked really cool when you just entered, and I might have liked you a lot, but now you ruined everything, un. The two of us won't ever be friends! You're so annoying, I hate you, un!”
 
WHAT?
 
“Deidara.”
 
“Oh, come-on doc.. Sorry! I'm really sorry I upset you again; I didn't want to upset you, un. I don't want to have a hiss fit with you again! But that OCD-kid is just trouble, I'm sure of it, un!”
 
Deidara.” And the Doctor gave the man/woman a look which made him/her shut up. Perhaps the look was a `You are in SO much trouble now'-look, or a `We don't care who you hate: just hate them in silence'-look.
 
But since I didn't care, I just turned my attention to the floor, and studied the pattern, while thinking about my oh-so-great plan of ditching the Head Family.
 
“Well, let's continue the introductions.” Doctor said, and apparently, it was now everyone else's turn to introduce themselves to me. He let everyone tell me their name and hobbies. They weren't obliged to tell me what they were here for, so I guess most of them didn't tell this at all. Some people had a lot to tell, while others just told me their name. It took about fifteen minutes for everyone to speak.
 
But I hadn't listened to all of it, for I wasn't interested.
 
The rest of the hour we were given a few assignments, like `What would you do in this and this situation?', and one had to answer it and the rest of us had to comment on the answer.
 
All in all, it was an utterly stupid and boring hour, and I was happy I only had group therapy 3 times a week for an hour.
 
I was also happy I could enjoy some private spare-time the rest of the day, for I really didn't like all these crazy people.
 
And NO: I still didn't think my plan completely sucked, even when this random boy walked up to me and asked me out on a date (“So I can make Sasuke jealous!”), or when this other girl suddenly started shouting all kind of obscenities in my face.
 
Because I am Hyuuga Neji, Boy Genius, and my ideas have always been the best.