Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Me ❯ The New Student ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: The New Student
 
Sakura's POV
 
The sun is shining brightly and the birds are chirping outside my window. It is such a good view from my window, matching the very happy day I am going to face. What is so special about this day? Oh yeah, today is my first day in Konoha Ninja High School. I already graduated from Ninja Academy, the one for ninja beginners. Now I'm a freshman.
 
I can't believe how I'm still reminiscing about my past memories when I know I'm supposed to be hurrying up right now. It just feels so… sad to remember that this same day was the day two years ago when I met Uchiha Sasuke, the boy I had always loved all my life.
 
It was in Ninja Academy when I first met him. He was the same serious, cold and mysterious guy I met and the first time I saw him, I knew he was the one for me. Whenever I look into his eyes, I feel like my heart is melting. His voice was what I longed to hear every minute. I still remember how I used to daydream about him and he always filled my thoughts day and night. Even now, I still do even if he is gone…
 
Sasuke was cold towards me whenever I try to talk to him when we were in the Academy until we became teammates. I think being teammates with him is the best thing that ever happened to me. I got to know him more, and loved him more. I shared a lot of memories with him - some happy, but more are painful. As painful as he left me…
 
Yeah, my Sasuke-kun left me two years ago. I have always known that he wanted to seek revenge against his brother Itachi that was why he left me to seek more power from Orochimaru. I know it's been hard for him and I told him that I understood, but still he left me. Doesn't Sasuke-kun understand my feelings? That without him I'd not be complete? That I'd never be happy again? That my heart wouldn't learn to love truly? After he left me, I started forgetting about him. My heart was covered with hatred and grief, even though in the inside I'm still keeping a love for him. But I knew I had to overcome my feelings of love for him for it won't get nowhere. He's gone now. Maybe he's happy because he has so much power now. He's happy because I'm out of his sight. And here I am now, standing alone…
 
Here I am, Haruno Sakura, a freshman who is moving on with her life. And I know I suppose I must go to school now. It's not worth crying over something useless. I miss him, but I have to move on with my life and go to school and be happy with whatever I have now with me…
 
Oh wait, I hear something. Maybe Naruto's already there to fetch me! He promised he'd go with me to school and I'm really happy for his company. I hurried downstairs, grabbed my schoolbag and went outside.
 
“Hello, Naruto-kun!!! You look so happy today!” I greeted cheerfully. Oh yeah, Naruto looked really happy and excited. He had always looked that way ever since… ever since I agreed to be his girlfriend. “Of course I am! Who wouldn't be excited to go to school once again after all those battles and missions we engaged in?! I'm happy we'll be seeing the others again.” Naruto replied with a bright smile on his face.
 
I know I must feel guilty that even if I agreed to be Naruto's girlfriend, there is another boy I love in my heart. Naruto had always knew that and it took him a year to succeed in asking me to be his girlfriend. He knew I still loved Sasuke but he said he would do everything to help me forget about him. Little by little, I am thankful that Naruto is here by my side and I'm able to move on with my life and forget a love I once had. It's time I forget about Sasuke.
 
Naruto held my hand as we walked along the streets of Konoha. It is the same old Konoha streets with different stores and houses all along. I can still clearly remember when Naruto, Sasuke and I used to stroll around sometimes to look for Kakashi-sensei. Oh gosh, I'm reminiscing once again…
 
“Sakura?” Naruto mumbled. I turned to him. “Yeah?”
 
“Do you still remember Sasuke…?” he asked. I smiled at Naruto with understanding. “Of course, I still remember him sometime… But Naruto, I told you many times that I am forgetting about him. I am trying my best so please don't worry. I'm glad you're really there for me. Well… I don't want to talk about him…” I replied sadly.
 
“Oh, I just wanted to know. But if you'd really don't want to talk about it, I respect it.” That's the good thing about Naruto. He can respect whatever decision I have and accept me for who I am. I just hoped he was just the one I loved.
 
“Anyway, Sakura. Have you heard that there will be a new student who will be introduced today? I'm not really sure but rumors has it that this new student used to be a citizen of Konoha. I think he came back, or something. You know, Konoha is a nice place. You would always want to return to it.” Naruto explained.
 
“I haven't heard of it. Who can that new student be? I feel sort of excited about it. Who knows, he can be a new part of our group or maybe he has some special techniques we can learn about.” I suggested. I hope whoever that new student is could be my friend. I have good vibes about whoever that is.
 
“Oh well. I hope so. I hope he'll be someone I can challenge in battles. You know, who is equal to my power.” Naruto said, laughing. His boastful attitude still isn't gone but now, he knows when to use it in the right place, in the most joking manner.
 
After talking and walking hand in hand together, Naruto and I finally reached school. Everyone was cluttered along the school grounds, chatting in groups. We searched for our fellow friends and found Neji, Ino and Tenten instead.
“Hello guys!” Naruto greeted as we joined them. I smiled at the three. “Oh Sakura! It's glad to see you again. I missed you during our vacation.” Tenten said. “I missed you too, Tenten! How was your vacation?” I asked. Tenten went on a vacation with her sensei on some country so that she could improve more on her techniques.
 
“Everything is so great! I learned a lot of new things and I can say I've improved a lot!” Tenten exclaimed. She sures feel really great about herself. I don't know if I can feel that way. I still feel lack of confidence even if in just a few years, I will become a fully-pledged and well-known medical ninja. Master Tsunade promised me that I will become her apprentice when I've already graduated. I can wait for that time, anyway.
 
“That's my best friend!” Neji cheered after Tenten narrated all the things that happened in her vacation, including all her achievements. Neji and Tenten have been really close best friends ever since they were teammates. Neji used to be like Sasuke - cold and secretive but Tenten brought out the best in him and she was the girl he learned to confide in. Up to now, I think they look good together if only Neji wasn't taken.
 
Okay, Neji is taken - by Ino. My best friend, Ino, used to love Sasuke like I do which caused us both to be enemies before but now, she found a new love - Neji. I never had a single clue how they got together. All I know is that Neji had always loved Ino from the start and he admitted his feelings when Sasuke left. Because Ino is a bit desperate (like me!), she agreed to be Neji's girlfriend (just like me?!). But now I think she loved him too so much. They are so in loved.
 
We talk a lot more until the other genins - Temari, Hinata, Gaara, Kiba, Shino, Kankorou, Shikamaru and Chouji arrived. This is the group where I belong - the top genins in the batch. The so-called `geniuses', even if I'm so puzzled why I was included here. Lee was the last to arrive and always the one. “My love, Sakura!” He greeted me.
 
I've always known that Lee-kun likes me and even if I am already Naruto's girlfriend he still calls me `my love'. It makes me smile so much. “Hello, Lee-kun! What's up? You seem hurried but you look so excited.” I commented. He smiled his sparkling smile at me.
 
“You want to know why? You really do? It's just the most exciting thing on earth. The new student of Konoha Ninja High will be presented right now over there in the platform! Let's go! I'm so excited!” Lee exclaimed excitedly.
 
We all hurried to the platform. The `platform' is sort of like a stage where performances or presentations take place. The new student seems so special that he is presented that way. Who could it be? We finally reached the platform. My heart is starting to beat fast.
 
The platform was already crowded with many people - ninjas, bystanders, teachers, feudal lords, everyone. They seem to be crowding around the new student and their eyes seem like popping out of unbelief. The crowd feels so surprised and at the same time amazed. I cannot see the `new student' since the people is really crowding around.
 
All I can hear was Master Tsunade's voice saying, “Silence please! We are going to introduce the ninja of Konoha who was once lost but now found, who strayed away but now come back to his beloved hometown together with his brother…” I neared and went through the crowd. I pushed away some of the people to make my way through the front. My heartbeat was racing so fast. I had the greatest feeling…
 
And then I saw the new student. My senses failed and I lost track of what's happening around me. I cannot believe it. I cannot believe my own eyes!!! Is it him? Is it really him? The boy with the dark onyx eyes that made me feel like melting, the boy with the built that saveth me from all danger, it is Sasuke. Uchiha Sasuke. The never-ending love of my life. Is it him? I rubbed my eyes hard and pinched my face. Is this one of my dreams? Please, my senses, don't trick me. I don't want this dream! But this felt like reality… No dream at all…. I feel like tears are trickling down from my eyes uncontrollably…
 
Master Tsunade spotted me and nodded at me. She shifted her look back to the crowd and continued speaking. “Please make our fellow citizen welcome and forget about what crime to the state he had done for Konoha has already forgiven him. We welcome our new student, Uchiha Sasuke.” My knees felt weak. I felt numb. Tears didn't stop running from my eyes. My knees fell to the ground. My senses are lost.