Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Me ❯ Revelation of Feelings... at the wrong time? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: Revelation of Feelings… at the wrong time?!
 
If the heartbreak Ino experienced after talking to Neji wasn't enough, she expected another one this time. Ino really wanted to finish all the troubles she has caused. Neji and she were okay now, but of course she wouldn't forget to explain everything to Sasuke. And of course, it felt like it was another heartbreak and her eyes were now feeling so exhausted of crying.
 
Sasuke was sitting on the porch outside the First house, observing around the island and probably thinking seriously about a lot of things. Ino spotted him there and she breathed deeply before approaching him. She walked to him once she assured herself of a bit of courage. “Sasuke-kun…” She mumbled softly. Sasuke glanced at her.
 
“Oh, Ino… You're here…” Sasuke said, being somewhat bothered about Ino's presence. “Can we talk for awhile, Sasuke-kun? I know we need to… But that is if it's okay with you…” Ino said hopefully. Sasuke smiled a bit, and looked back across the oceans surrounding the island.
 
“Yeah, we really need to talk about so many things. That's fine with me. You go first?” Sasuke said. Ino nodded. She took a deep breath again. She felt like tears were forming in her eyes again and it was really hard to choke them back. It feels so shameful to cry in front of the greatest Uchiha.
 
“Sasuke-kun… I want to say sorry for everything wrong I have done to you. I know `sorry' can't make up for all I did and I admit that it was my fault and I'm the reason why Neji hurt you… It's because of me, Sasuke-kun and you have nothing to do with that. I'm sorry if you had to be involved in this incident… I just got so carried away because I loved you even before, Sasuke and I had always hoped for you to come back and here you are now…”
 
“My feelings came back and I had been so blind about Neji feeling so hurt and jealous whenever I go with you… It's my entire fault, Sasuke-kun… I-I didn't mean to… to be in loved with you… I'm really sorry… I hope you understand…” Ino was crying once again. It took Sasuke to react about what Ino had just said. He thought about what her words meant.
 
Gently, Sasuke held Ino's hands. “You know, Ino? I understand. I know how you feel. And it's not your fault. Let's forget about everything that happened. But you know what? I admire your affection for me, and you don't have to be sorry for that. Because of that, we became even good friends and I'm very blessed and thankful to be your friend. But I'm sorry if I simply look at you just as a friend, and you know not more than that… I'm sorry, Ino…” Sasuke explained sadly.
 
“It's okay, Sasuke-kun. I never really expected you to love me… But I'm thankful that for once we've been really close and that's all enough for me. That was my greatest dream - to be close to you and allow me to walk beside you even for a few moments. Sasuke… I'm blessed to have you as a friend…” Ino hugged Sasuke and he hugged her back.
 
When they've recovered, they started talking about things again. “But Ino, have you talked to Neji? You know, you should. He's the most hurt here.” Sasuke said. It made Ino remember again about her most painful heartbreak that happened just a few minutes ago. “Oh, uh Neji…? I've talked to him and… we're gone now.” Ino replied sadly. “What happened? How come?” Sasuke exclaimed with a look of surprise on his face.
 
Ino explained everything that recently happened and she was crying so hard. Sasuke seem to understand everything. “Is that it? I'm sorry about it, Ino. But I guess it was a right decision Neji made, something that is good for both of you. Yeah, he's right when he said that someday you'd find someone who you'll love like he does for you. And I hope you find that right person…” Sasuke said, comforting Ino.
 
“But Sasuke? When might I find that `right person'? You know, I feel like I am the unluckiest girl in the world. No boy seems to like me at all. Tell me, Sasuke. What is wrong with me? Am I ugly? Am I too vain about myself? Am I fat? Answer me, please!” Ino whined desperately. Sasuke gave her a look of understanding.
 
“Nothing's wrong with you, Ino. You're pretty, you're always cheerful, you're kind and you're a really good friend. But you have to wait for a little while to find that right person. Someday, you'll find him too.” Sasuke assured.
 
“Really? Well, I hope so. I will wait and I will believe what you've said. But Sasuke… have you find the `right person' for you?” Ino asked, now with a small smile on her face. This made Sasuke think for awhile. “I-I don't know… I guess not… B-but…” Sasuke stopped abruptly.
 
“But what? Who's the `right person'? I want to know, Sasuke-kun! We're friends, right?” Ino said, growing more excited. Sasuke chuckled. “It's no one, okay! Forget it.” Sasuke said, wanting badly to change the topic.
 
“Please, Sasuke-kun… we're friends and you've got to tell me!” Ino exclaimed. She was in a complete smile now. “I don't know if she's the right person for me because she is already in loved with another one.” Sasuke replied shortly. This made Ino think.
 
“Then who is she? And do you love her? The Sasuke I knew before you came back doesn't know how to love girls!” Ino teased. “I-I love her… secretly… and I have no thoughts of revealing it to her… Well, didn't I know how to love girls? That was before, Ino…” Sasuke said.
 
“Please tell me, Sasuke-kun! I won't tell anybody, I promise!” Ino exclaimed once again. “I'll tell you when it snows in Konoha again.” Sasuke replied in somewhat a teasing manner. Ino's eyes grew bigger in disbelief. Sasuke and Sakura were thinking the same thing! And how did he know that it never snow in Konoha? But Ino didn't get a chance to ask these questions. Sasuke stood up quickly and went away. Ino was left there, puzzled and smiling at the same time.
 
-at the training grounds-
 
The training grounds were the large space outside the houses. It was actually the whole island since there were no other houses built or people alive except for the Konoha ninjas. Everyone met there after the rest time ended. They were all present, and of course eager to start training.
 
“Please choose your partners now. It will be the person you want to train with. Choose now.” Anko instructed by Tsunade's orders. All the genins started choosing their partners. Unfortunately, Ino ended up with no partner and she also explained to Master Tsunade that she wasn't ready yet to train after the big heartbreaks she experienced. Tsunade said it was okay and she can simply watch with her (Tsunade).
 
Naruto and Sakura became partners, so did Neji and Sasuke. The truth is, Neji wanted Tenten to be his partner and she did too, only they were still reluctant about asking each other after Tenten's revelation. Besides, they have always trained together and Tenten was a big help to Neji when he was preparing for the final matches. But Tenten could work with Temari well.
 
Taijutsu was what they all practiced. Sasuke and Neji caught the jounins' attention since they were both skillful in their moves. It looks like their abilities were equal and this impressed the spectators. Sasuke still hasn't lost his potential after everything, Kakashi thought being amazed at his former student and trainee.
 
“You've improved a lot, Sakura!” Naruto exclaimed along as they continued combating each other. “You're so great too, Naruto-kun! You've got better in taijutsu! Great job!” Sakura praised back. Oh how lovely it is to watch lovers have a match of taijutsu, Tsunade thought.
 
After awhile, some of the pairs took their break. Naruto and Sakura continued training since they wanted to finish early. For the genins, it was a requirement for them to finish at least two hours of training for that day. Naruto and Sakura wanted to finish early so they could spend sometime alone together to talk and think about things. It was for both of them to enjoy the island for themselves.
 
While having the break, Shikamaru approached Ino who was observing the ninjas having their break. “Hello, Ino.” Shikamaru greeted awkwardly, as he sat beside Ino. “Oh, hi. What are you doing here?” Ino asked back awkwardly the same way. Shikamaru shrugged. “I just want to talk with you, you know. We've been barely talking these days. You're spending too much time with Sasuke and Neji.” Shikamaru said, showing a bit of jealousy.
 
Ino frowned at him. “Like we need to talk, Shikamaru! When did we learn to talk seriously? Whenever we talk, we always throw insults or mock each other. `Has been a tradition, you know. Talking with you is so troublesome.” Ino said, chuckling because of using his favorite line.
 
Shikamaru frowned too, but with puppy dog eyes pretending that he was hurt about what Ino said. “Oh… it is not so troublesome… I enjoy talking with you, you know.” He said. Ino laughed even more.
 
“Or do you mean insulting me?” Ino said, still giggling.
 
“I am not insulting you always. We're friends, right?”
 
“I don't know with you. What is with you today? You seem a bit weird, you know... acting so strangely at the same time friendly to me. Are you sick, Shikamaru?”
 
“Don't speak like that, Ino. N-nothing's wrong with me… Anyway, let's talk about you.”
 
“Me? What about me? You're going to tease again about my weight? FYI, I already lost like about three pounds!”
 
“No, it's not that. I'm serious, okay? I've heard that you talked to Sasuke and Neji today. How's everything?”
 
Ino gulped at the question. How did Shikamaru know? And why does he need to care? “You don't need to know. It's none of your business, you troublesome guy.” She said. But Shikamaru doesn't seem to accept the answer. This time, he wants Ino to know that he really cares about what she feels and that he wants to comfort and help her out.
 
“I want to know how you feel, Ino. Please… will you tell me?” Shikamaru pleaded. Ino glared at him surprisingly. “How did you become so concerned about me, Shikamaru? Why do you need to know? It's hard to explain.” Ino said, feeling a bit impatient about him.
 
“Because I care about you, Ino. I want to help you out because I know in the inside you're in pain.” Shikamaru tried comforting.
 
“Oh come on, Shikamaru. Since when did you become my friend? Since when did you learn to help me out? When we were teammates, you never cared about me. What is with you today??? If that is some syndrome, we can call Master Tsunade.” Ino said, being annoyed with Shikamaru and at the same time puzzled about what's going on.
 
“I'm not sick, Ino. I'm plain fine. I had always cared for you all along but I haven't showed it. Ino, you can tell me everything. I will listen.” Shikamaru said. Ino looked at him in disbelief but finally realized that he wanted her to be his friend.
 
“It would be no use to tell you at all, Shikamaru. You will never understand. I doubt if you even know what love means.” Ino said, looking away.
 
“I do, Ino. I really do. And I understand how you feel.” Shikamaru assured. I know what love means because I love you, he said in his mind.
 
“You really do? I hope so because I'm heartbroken right now. And if you really understand, you'll know why.”
 
“I know why, and I'm here to help you, Ino. I understand everything and you tell me everything and cry on me.”
 
Ino finally gave her trust to Shikamaru all of a sudden. She did not know why or how, but she felt like he was the only one who would understand at the moment. He had offered to listen to her and she knew she needed his comfort even if when they were teammates, they were really like cats and dogs.
 
Ino explained everything that happened. And again, she was crying all along. The two heartbreaks were very fresh to her heart and mind, and she knew she needed to let out all the bad feelings. “I am so unfortunate, Shikamaru! What am I going to do now? I feel so helpless.” Ino whined. She hugged him all of a sudden, and that was all that Shikamaru wanted all his life.
 
“I'm still here, Ino.” Shikamaru mumbled when they both recovered from the embrace. Ino glared at him in bewilderment. “W-what do you mean by that?” Ino asked him, puzzled.
 
“I'm still here for you, Ino. And I want you to know that I'm always here waiting for you. I love you, Ino and it's true.” Shikamaru finally said the words. Again, it was already late when it came to him that it was not time to reveal his feelings to Ino since she had just finished being heartbroken. Shikamaru was shocked about what he said. He wanted to sink right then and there, but all he could do was freeze at the moment
 
Ino was even more surprised than he is. Her eyes filled with tears, but she did not know why. What was Shikamaru saying? Is he out of his mind? “Shikamaru, what are you saying? I don't understand. Probably you really have a syndrome or something like that.” Ino said.
 
But to Shikamaru, it was not denial again. He would never keep his feelings again, even if he let it out at the very wrong time. “No, it's true. I'm not out of my mind. I just… love you… that's all… I'm sorry if I had to say it right now… I know it's the wrong time…” Shikamaru said with disappointment and sadness in his voice. Ino looked at him in terror and stood up to look for Sakura. She had to tell her best friend!
 
But Sakura could be seen nowhere. Probably she had finished training with Naruto. Ino ran fast to the Second house to look for Sakura. Shikamaru was left all alone, still frozen in his spot. “Shikamaru… how troublesome…!” He mumbled to himself.