Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Me ❯ Remember that I'll Always Love You ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Remember that I'll Always Love You
 
The next day soon came, which was the last day of their stay in the ship. It has been a very good and enjoyable stay - a memory everyone would surely treasure and remember, especially for those involved at the incident. But now, they had to make the most out of the day to fully enjoy their stay in the ship.
 
“Oooh… I would surely miss this ship. I'm not sure if we might still be getting to ride this when we return.” Sakura said. She and Naruto were having their last morning walk in the ship. “Yeah, I would surely long for another journey on this ship. It's very fun in here with the exception of that incident.” Naruto said, chuckling.
 
“I wouldn't forget that incident too. But I'm glad almost everything's okay. Maybe except for Ino.” Sakura said, remembering her best friend once again. “I think they'll fix everything there at Peach Island.” Naruto said. They continued walking around until a ninja announced breakfast.
 
Almost everyone was waiting when they reached the restaurant for their last breakfast. Tenten was there and when Neji arrived they both flushed. She still felt so ashamed about what Neji has just learned about her. Master Tsunade sat at her usual spot, the head of the table. They started eating as soon as food was served, only it was a bit more slowly.
 
Everyone was munching on their foods with thoughts, thinking that it was the last time they could eat there. They would surely miss their daily breakfasts there when Master Tsunade would shout out some announcements. But they were also excited about reaching Peach Island. And after some moments, they reached their destination.
 
-at the shore of Peach Island-
 
Everyone began descending down from the ship. They were all in a line, carrying their baggage and luggage. “Wow! Peach Island is so beautiful!” Ino exclaimed once she saw it.
 
Peach Island was a lovely place where there are small houses and coconut trees everyone. It was a quiet area where only crabs and other sea creatures crawl on the shore. It seem that no one was residing in that island - and sort of a `deserted island'.
 
“How do we live here for almost a week? It seems that we will go hungry and die here! It is so… so boring here!” Temari exclaimed, who didn't like quiet places at all. “That's what we want you to learn - to survive no matter what the situation is.” Master Tsunade announced. Most of the genins sighed heavily. What a training, Shino thought.
 
They finally arrived in front of two big houses, after following Tsunade along. The houses weren't exactly mansions but they were the types rich families live in. “We are going to stay here, in these two houses.” Tsunade announced loudly. Everyone observed at the place.
 
Neji used his Byakugan to see any danger. Shino used his bugs while Gaara used his sands. “I don't see any danger here. It's almost safe.” Neji said. Gaara and Shino agreed. “But why `almost'? Why, aren't you sure?” Lee asked curiously. “Enemies might attack anytime.” Shino answered for him. Everyone entered the first house.
 
The first house was very spacious and a few number of furniture were arranged there. There was a big long table and a small kitchen. There were four big rooms with mattresses arranged for each. “All the boys are going to stay here, whether genins, jounins, or other ninjas.” Tsunade announced. What an organized leader.
 
The boys settled their things in each room. They decided among themselves who are going to stay with whom. After settling, they went to the next house. It was almost the same with the first one, only it had three rooms. The girls settled there of course, including Master Tsunade.
 
It was lunch time when they finally finished settling and organizing their things in their rooms. They all gathered at the long table in the Boys' house and ate there. Everyone was still new to the place and they kept on observing about things. “Anko? Will you please take charge for me? I am tired of announcing.” Tsunade said while they were eating. Anko nodded respectfully. Finally she became tired. I am so irritated with her voice, Naruto thought with annoyance.
 
“I will announce our schedule for this day. After lunch, we'll rest for a while. But at about four o'clock or something, the genins will have a lecture from Kakashi. After that lecture, we will have a bonfire out there. It will be a nice night.” Anko announced. Her voice was much younger and pleasant to hear. Everyone continued eating, after paying attention to Anko's announcements.
 
After eating, everyone went back to their rooms to rest and chat about how they would miss the ship and how excited they were about Peach Island. The girls stayed together separate from the boys, except for Ino who was wandering off around the house. But the truth is, she wanted badly to talk to Neji and that is if he isn't with all of the boys who remained at the long table in the First house talking about everything.
 
Ino thought that the time they had allowed for each other was enough so that both of them could fix everything up now and try to settle the bad feelings. She thought of this as she looked through every room, looking for Neji. And after a while, she finally found him looking out the window from his room (which he actually shared with some of the boys). Ino stared at him for a while and all of a sudden, she felt like she missed him so much.
 
Neji felt that someone was watching from the door and he felt compelled to look behind. And when he just glanced, he saw the girl he loved all his life - the same girl who caused the pain in his heart so recently. For a while, their eyes met. But Neji took the urge to look away.
 
“Ino…” he muttered almost to himself in a soft manner. “Neji… may we talk?” Ino asked kindly in a very polite way. Neji looked away and thought for a while. Maybe it's time that we settle all about that happened to us. But am I ready? Neji questioned himself.
 
“Yeah, and I guess we need to.” Neji replied finally. Ino came in to the room that they were now face-to-face. They both didn't sit down, since they felt like tension was rising between them.
 
“Neji-san… may I go first?” Ino asked courteously. Neji looked at her with tenderness and nodded. Ino collected her thoughts for awhile before starting to speak. She felt nervous about what she was going to say and most, about how Neji would react. She opened her mouth but nothing came out. She tried again and this time, she started speaking in a soft voice.
 
“Neji… I just want to say sorry about everything that happened between us. I'm sorry that I had been so unfaithful to you, that I forgot all about you when Sasuke came back. I got so carried away and you know that I had always loved him. I admit that it's my entire fault why that incident at the ship happened. Neji, I'm the reason why our relationship has been this way. But you don't know that I realized so many things after that happened…” Ino swallowed hard to force back tears.
 
“You know what I realize, Neji? I realized how much you love me, that you care for me even if I love another one. I realized how much you value me and how you will fight for your love for me till the end. But Neji, I had been so blind about it. All this time Sasuke was the only one I thought of - how much I treasure the moments we were close to each other… But I know I had been wrong about it. I just got carried away and I hope you understand, Neji. And now it is clear to me, Neji-san… that you are the one I truly love…” Ino paused for she finally said the words she had been wanting to tell Neji.
 
“I love you, Neji and what I'm feeling is real and true just the same… I really do and I hope you can still forgive me and let's forget about all that happened… I know my feelings for you, Neji and I promise I will always love you and will never repeat my mistake again…” Ino was now in tears. Neji smiled with understanding.
 
Neji took a deep breath before he started speaking. What he was going to stay seemed more serious at the same time more emotional. It was something painful and he knew both of them needed to learn how to take it and live with it.
 
“Ino… I understand how you feel and I've forgiven you for everything that went between us. I have always known that you love Sasuke and I already lose my hope that you'll still love me like I do for you… until now. You know Ino? I am very blessed that you have finally loved me back and realized your true feelings for me. You just don't know how much my heart feels so glad. And I want you to know how much I love you too…” Neji said, his smile so wide. But now he was going to drop the bombshell - the words that would cut through both their hearts. He breathed deeply…
 
“But Ino… it can't be this way forever. We both know how we love each other so much but Ino, our relationship has both caused us so much pain. The truth is, when we were together I had always known that you will always love Sasuke and it hurts, you know. Sometimes, I had to pretend to myself that you really love me. But it couldn't be that way always. Our relationship has left blotches of pain in our hearts and if we continued this, it would be more painful…”
 
“It won't be easy to forget all about that pain. It's still fresh in our memories, and still felt by our hearts. Ino, I'm really sorry if I had to do this… I don't know if it's a right decision, but I know it will be good for both of us. We need to allow a long time for each other to move on after all the heartbreaks. And maybe at that time, we will both be able to find the right person for us - one who wouldn't cause us pain and would return the love we have given them. But Ino, I will never forget that we once loved each other…” Neji's voice vanished away. As he was speaking those words, he too felt the sharp pain cutting through his heart.
 
Ino was crying really hard. She can't believe what Neji had just said. “But Neji-san… You don't have to do this… We can forget everything and start a new life only both of us will share. We will be happy now that we are certain about our love for each other… Please, Neji. Don't do this to me… I know I hurt you so much, but please don't return this to me…”
 
Neji tried to force a smile. “No, Ino. I am not doing this because of everything that happened. I just don't want to get hurt anymore and I hope you understand that. And who knows, maybe someday we'll be together again. Someday, when the time is right, we'll find our love for each other and live happily and forget all about our past… But we need some time, Ino… I know it would be hard for both of us but I know we'll be able to move on… Please understand, Ino…” Ino hugged Neji tightly and he hugged her back.
 
After moments of crying, Ino recovered from their tight embrace. “I understand, Neji… But I will be waiting for that time, for that someday you are speaking of… For I really love you, Neji… Remember that always…”
 
This time Neji really smiled. “Yes, I will remember that. Do not forget that I love you too, Ino. I really do and remember that I'm always here for you, even as a friend. I'll be glad to help you in your problems and nothing will change. We'll always remain friends, okay? And thank you very much for giving me a chance to love you… I will never forget all the memories we've shared…”
 
Neji's words made Ino cry and smile at the same time. “Thank you so much also for loving me… I appreciate all your efforts to make me impress of you… Yes, I will always keep our memories in my heart and I hope you do the same too.” Neji kissed Ino on the cheek and they hugged so tightly for a long time, feeling the warmth of their love for it was probably the last time they could be in a tight comforting embrace.
 
But unknowingly from somewhere in the room, a soul was hurting as she watched Neji and Ino embrace each other. From a small slit in the door of the room, Tenten watched how Neji and Ino really loved each other, though she didn't hear the complete conversation between them and hadn't known the truth. Tears swelled from her eyes and pain was beginning to slash her heart, as she decided to walk away slowly and slowly…