Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Me ❯ True Feelings For You ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: True Feelings for You
 
Neji and Tenten started the next morning by having a walk around the ship. It was a sunny day, and good thing there were no signs of storms. “Ah… this is really a good day!” Tenten exclaimed, stretching up her hands. They were both at the first floor and standing before the railings. It has been a usual routine of the day for the ninjas to take time to gaze at the waters surrounding them. Surely, the seas were a relaxing sight.
 
“Yes, I agree with you… even if everything isn't yet fine.” Neji said with a trace of sadness. Tenten frowned at Neji. “Neji-san… forget about that for a while. It's a sunny day and you ought to enjoy it! Besides, traveling through a ship happens barely! Enjoy the moment!” She cheered.
 
Surely, Tenten wanted Neji to be happy as happy as she was at that moment. Being with Neji lights up her day, even if she knew that he still loves Ino. But that was okay. She just want to make the most out of these moments.
 
“Yeah you're right, Tenten. I must put my mind off that first. But why do you seem so happy?” Neji asked curiously, now smiling. Tenten blushed. “Huh? Me? I'm always happy and jolly, Neji-san! Nothing is unusual.” Tenten said, making a believable excuse.
 
“Yeah, I guess so. But something is different about you today. Hey tell me… are you in love?” Neji asked curiously in a teasingly manner. Tenten went a deeper shade of red in the face. “Of course not! Who would I fall in love with, anyway?” Tenten said, laughing it off. But the truth is, her thoughts said `Yes, I am so in love with you! If you only knew…'
 
“You have a point anyway. But if ever you fall in love, tell me first! I told you when I was too!” Neji demanded. They were both laughing. “I don't know. I will never fall in love, Neji-san!” Tenten lied.
 
They both continued walking around the ship. They met others too in their walk, like Lee who teased them. “Hey! Good morning to the two of you. What's up?! Oh… it's only you two… is something going on?” Lee asked nosily.
 
Tenten blushed deeper but Neji wasn't affected. “Of course not! We're just best friends and how many times did we tell you that? You're imagining again, Lee.” Neji said, laughing it off. “Sorry, I really think that you two look good together. Anyway, breakfast's up. We're having it at the restaurant in ten minutes! See you two there!” Lee said, running away.
 
Tenten and Neji decided to go to the restaurant and wait for the others. Naruto and Sakura were there too since of course, Naruto was excited for food as usual. Sasuke was also there, but in a far corner without speaking.
 
“Good morning to you two!” Naruto greeted happily. “Morning to you too!” Tenten greeted back.
 
After waiting for a few more moments, Master Tsunade and the others arrived. She greeted the ninjas a good morning. Food was served and everyone started eating soon.
 
“Anything we need to discuss?” Tsunade asked everyone. The ninjas looked at each other. They all shook their heads. “Anyway Sakura, I've got to remind you that you have special lessons with me today. And also, Naruto, you have training sessions with Kakashi. Is that right, Kakashi?” Tsunade confirmed and reminded. Kakashi nodded.
Naruto cheered excitedly but Sakura sighed. Trainings with Kakashi was surely an honor, but special lessons with Tsunade means boredom at times. Tsunade would be discussing about all sorts of facts. Sometimes in chances, it would be exciting if new techniques would be taught to Sakura.
 
After a while, breakfast finished.
 
-after breakfast-
 
Tenten returned to her room and got her diary. Among the five girls, she was one of the two who kept diaries (one was Sakura). She was going to write an entry about all the things that have happened for the past few days. For her, a diary was important in her life, especially it contained all her feelings for Neji.
 
Neji parted from her, since he said that he'd spend some time training his taijutsu with Lee. It was okay for her, since she wanted to be alone for a while and ponder about things.
 
Tenten settled on the foot of the stairs to the second floor of the ship. It was a good peaceful spot to think clearly about things. It was complete silence since the others were in training. She started to reflect for a while, and then jotted down her emotions and feelings. She was enjoying the moment.
 
After a few moments, Hinata suddenly came. “Tenten! Come! See how Tsunade is training Sakura. She is so great! And so is Naruto! See how everyone is training!” Hinata exclaimed.
 
Tenten looked up from her diary. She brightened up. It felt so exciting. She left her diary down on the footstep and followed Hinata. Together they ran to where the trainings were taking place.
 
Sakura was working with Tsunade. Sasuke was watching Naruto train with Kakashi. The others were training as well, like Gaara who was experimenting with his sands, together with his siblings who were playing with their battle things as well.
 
“Wow! This is so great! Everyone is busy training.” Tenten commented. “Yeah, it's so exciting. What if we train together?” Hinata invited. Tenten thought for a while, but looked around too. “But wait. Where's Neji and Lee? I thought they were training taijutsu too.” Tenten said, continuing to look around.
 
Hinata searched too. “I guess they're training somewhere too, maybe on the top floor or something. Anyway, is it okay if we train too?” She asked. Tenten smiled. “Of course! Let's start!” Tenten exclaimed. They both went in position, and started their moves in action. They were training so well and both have improved much. Some of their fellow genins started watching and cheered sometimes.
 
But soon after Tenten and Hinata finished training, Tenten went back to the foot of the stairs while Hinata stayed there and watched the others. She rushed to that usual place when suddenly, her eyes went huge, unbelieving what she had seen. She wanted to cry right then and there. “Oh-my-gosh.” These were the first words that left her mouth out of shock.
 
Neji was there, holding her diary which he seemed to be reading since it was open. He felt shock too and couldn't speak at the sight of Tenten. Now he knew that Tenten liked him so much. And he least expected it.
 
Tenten was already in tears. She snatched her diary away from Neji's hands who was holding it loosely. “Y-you… you already kn-know?” Tenten asked, tears swelling from her eyes. Neji couldn't say anything. “I-I'm sorry… I didn't mean to read your diary…” Neji tried apologizing. Tenten didn't know what to say at that moment.
 
“Forget it, Neji. Okay? It's nothing. It doesn't matter anyway. Don't mind it, please.” Tenten said, trying to strengthen her voice. She tried running away. “Wait, Tenten!” Neji yelled. Tenten froze right then and there on the spot. She couldn't stop crying. Neji went near her.
 
“Tenten… I-I don't know what to say… I d-didn't expect it…” Neji said, still a bit in shock and astonishment. “You don't have to say anything, Neji. It's not a big deal. I'm sorry you had to know…” Tenten replied, running away. Neji froze on his place.
 
Tenten went straight to the room where Sakura and Ino were staying, hoping to find someone who could listen to her - one she needed at the moment. Fortunately, Sakura and Ino were there. Sakura was resting after the training. Tenten buried her face on Sakura's chest, crying. Sakura hugged her friend tightly.
 
“What's wrong, Tenten? Tell me, please.” Sakura comforted softly, patting Tenten's back. Tenten shook her head and still kept her face buried. “Hey, Tenten! Please let us know what you're going through. We promise we'll do everything whatever your problem is.” Ino comforted as well.
 
Tenten took awhile to recover. She got tissue and wiped her tears, but still she hadn't stopped sobbing. “Sakura… Neji knows… my secret…” Tenten mumbled. Sakura looked at her in disbelief. “What? You mean… your feelings? How did he find out? What did he say?” Questions started pouring from Sakura's mind.
 
“I don't get it! What are you guys talking about? Please let me in and enlighten me. I don't have a single clue about what you are talking about…” Ino pleaded. Tenten and Sakura looked at her, deciding whether they should tell Ino or not. “I guess we should tell her. Ino will understand, I know.” Sakura finally said. Ino waited.
 
“Tenten has feelings for Neji. She loves him so much and she has kept that in secret for a long time.” Sakura explained briefly. Ino looked a bit surprised for a moment, then she seemed to understand everything. “Really? Is that the case? That's… fine with me… I understand, Tenten.” Ino assured.
 
“That's fine with you? But… you and Neji are…” Tenten's voice vanished. “It's really oaky, Tenten. I think… you deserve him more than I do. You never hurted him and you've always been there for him. But how did he know about your feelings?” Ino asked.
 
Tenten's eyes started feeling with tears again. “H-he read my diary…” She explained everything that happened. Ino and Sakura shared their sympathy with her. “I'm sorry about it, Tenten. What did he say when he found out?” Sakura asked.
 
“He said he didn't know what to say. He didn't expect it. What am I going to do now? I said that he must not make it a big deal. I feel so ashamed about myself. I want to disappear right now.” Tenten said, with a little whining. “Please don't think that way, Tenten. I know Neji will understand it. He's your best friend right? And if he really is, he'll understand everything. And even if he doesn't like you, he must understand and not be angry at you if he's really a real friend.” Sakura replied, trying to comfort Tenten.
 
“What if he doesn't understand? What if he stays away from me for the rest of my life? Oh, that is going to be so painful… I can't live without him. He's a big part of my life…” Tenten started sobbing again. Ino looked at her with great understanding. “Oh, Tenten. You surely love him so much. I admire your affection for him. If only I loved him the same as you do, then he wouldn't get hurt. We'll make him understand. We don't want you to get hurt. Right, Sakura?” Ino said. Sakura nodded. This time Ino hugged Tenten.
 
-at the top floor-
 
Neji spent his time at the top floor with Sasuke. The top floor has been a famous spot for reflecting about emotions and feelings. “You seem troubled, Neji.” Sasuke commented. Now, he was more sensitive about people around him and he cared more about their feelings.
 
“You guessed it right. I sure am troubled. Listen, Sasuke… You know that Ino likes you, right?” Neji asked. The question surprised Sasuke. “Yeah, I know. But we agreed not to talk about anything involved in that incident.” Sasuke said, with a small chuckle.
 
“No, it's not anything about the incident. How did you feel when you knew that Ino likes you?” Neji asked. “It's fine with me. I didn't have any violent reactions nor am I too happy about it. It's not a big deal. Don't worry, I have no feelings for her. I assure you about that. Why do you seem so interested?” Sasuke asked.
 
“I just want to know how you are suppose to feel when you find out that a girl likes you.” Neji said seriously.
 
“You want to? Tell me, are you in that state? Have you currently experienced confession or something like that?”
 
“I guess so. Sort of.”
 
“Who's the girl? Is it Tenten?”
 
Neji stayed silent for awhile.
 
“Yes. How did you know?”
 
“It's obvious, Neji although I think that I am the only one who notices it. How do you feel about it?”
 
Neji seemed troubled again.
 
“I don't know. How should I? That is why I am asking you.”
 
Sasuke thought for awhile. Tenten is different since she has been Neji's longtime best friend and it's so different when it's your good best friend who's always been there to support you. The friend you've always trusted.
 
“I don't think it's really a big deal. Don't make her feel bad.” Sasuke advised.
 
Neji glared at Sasuke. “I know I'm not supposed to. But I don't know what to say to her once we see each other again. It's bad to avoid her yet it's not good too to pretend that nothing happened at all.” He was so problematic about it.
 
“Let things be, Neji. She's your best friend and you'd have to understand. It was not her fault that she loves you.”
 
“I know. And I… I understand her…”
 
Sasuke smiled with understanding.