Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Me ❯ Apology Accepted ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Apology Accepted
 
Everyone gathered at the restaurant during lunch time at exactly twelve o'clock. Master Tsunade was a bit strict and disciplined about time and besides, she wants to talk about violence among ninjas, which was the hottest topic of the moment. They all knew about the incident that happened instances ago.
 
“Please sit down now.” Master Tsunade instructed when everyone was complete. She was sitting with all the fifteen genins around a long table. The jounins and other ninjas were in separate tables. They were still waiting for the food.
 
“How'd you like my ship?” Tsunade asked the question to no one in particular. She was very proud that she owns a ship herself. One of the benefits of being a Hokage, she thought. “The ship is so amazing, Master! It's so huge!” Lee commented excitedly.
 
“It is so nice and cozy here, Master Hokage.” Hinata mumbled. They all nodded at her answer. She barely answered during discussions and it was sort of a miracle. “Yeah, I agree with Hinata! The ship is so nice. Thanks for having us here.” Kiba agreed, who was being a supporter of Hinata again. Everyone knew that he had a huge crush on Hinata.
 
“I'm glad you all liked my ship. Yeah, it's comfy and relaxing in here. But anyway, I just want to specify a rule I keep in this ship on the case of violence…” Tsunade paused and eyed Neji, Sasuke and all the others involved. Neji looked down and studied his palms. Sasuke tried not to show any reaction. Everyone took a glance at both of them.
 
“I don't allow any kind of violence, brutality or war here in my ship. We're the ninjas of Konoha and we must not fight. We must be in peace always and I mean it. And if ever you're involved with some of that case, you owe apologies. Please do, to whoever is involved with the incident awhile ago.” Tsunade finished. Everyone fell silent as the food arrived. Neji couldn't do anything but continued staring at his palms. Sakura and Ino just stared at Neji and Sasuke back and forth.
 
They all soon started eating. “Uh anyway, Sakura. You still have special sessions with me tomorrow morning. I will teach new techniques.” Tsunade announced. They all looked at Sakura. She sighed. Oh here comes our never-ending sessions once again. I thought it was all a vacation, she thought. They all sighed with her.
 
-after lunch finished-
 
Neji spent his time alone at the top floor, pondering about things. He was starting to blame himself for the trouble he was into. He hoped he just hadn't done that. He sighed so many times.
 
After some time, Sasuke followed and went to the top floor. His wound hasn't healed completely but it doesn't hurt anymore. He was determined to ask forgiveness from Neji, since he knew he was part of the reason why the trouble started.
“Neji… May I speak with you for a moment?” Sasuke asked courteously but still in his usual serious tone. Neji glanced at him for a moment, and nodded. The two geniuses were now face-to-face, the two men in Ino's life. Neji looked down at the waters and Sasuke did the same.
 
“Neji… I apologize for the trouble I caused you. I'm sorry about all the things I did wrong that affected your relationship with Ino. I know it's my fault and you have a reason to do that to me.” Sasuke apologized shortly. Sasuke asking an apology? Again, it was not likely of him.
 
Neji studied Sasuke for awhile and smiled at the waters. “It's none of your fault, Sasuke. I don't blame Ino if she still loves you up to now. When she agreed to be my girlfriend, she told me the truth that she still hadn't forgotten you and I wanted to help her badly to forget all about you. Sasuke, I love her and I hope you understand that.” Neji explained sadly.
 
“Of course, I understand that. I admire your faithful affection for her. But Neji, I hope it would be clear to you that I do not have any feelings for Ino as you do. She is nice and really a good friend, but that's just it. If I had known earlier about your relationship, I wouldn't have spent that much time with her. My fault again, Neji.” Sasuke said.
 
Neji looked a bit surprised. “Y-you do not have any feelings for her? Then how come you always joined her?” Neji asked, puzzled. “I guess I simply needed a friend. Ino was the one who helped me remember about my past. You're blessed to have her, Neji. I won't take her away from you and that I assure you.” Sasuke guaranteed. Neji simply smiled.
 
“You should talk to her.” Sasuke finally advised. Neji glared at him stunningly. “Do you think I really should? I don't know if she will listen to me after what I did to you.” Neji replied uncertainly. “Yes, she would. Everything will be fine.” Sasuke assured once again. Silence fell over them again.
 
“Sasuke? I'm sorry about the incident awhile ago. I ask forgiveness for what I did. I didn't mean it. I just couldn't control my feelings anymore.” Neji made clear about everything. He felt really sorry about it and regretted it so much. “It's okay, Neji. I understand. Friends?” “Friends.” The two shook hands.
 
After Neji and Sasuke made up, Sasuke decided to visit Ino to say sorry to her about everything and explain what needed to be explained. He knocked on the Sakura and Ino's room. He heard a lot of voices in the room; perhaps all the girls were staying there.
 
Sakura was the one who answered it and blushed so deeply when she saw that it was Sasuke. “Uh hi, Sasuke-kun…” Sakura mumbled shyly. Everyone in the room became quiet and focused their looks at the door. “Hi, Sakura. May I talk to Ino?” He asked politely. Sakura glanced at Ino for an answer. They all heard what Sasuke asked.
 
Ino shook her head at Sakura, who turned to Sasuke. “She isn't ready yet to talk to you. Maybe tomorrow or some other time, I guess? She needs time to think, Sasuke-kun.” Sakura answered. Disappointment ran across Sasuke's face but soon after it vanished away.
 
“Okay, I understand. Tell her to talk to me whenever she's ready. I will wait. Uh… Sakura?” Sasuke said. Sakura looked up and paid attention to him. Whenever she looks at him, she felt like his eyes would burn her and melt her down. His dark eyes seem so powerful that they always seem to convey a message. That was Sasuke's feature that she loved staring at.
 
“Is it okay if we meet at the top floor tonight before we go to sleep? I'd just like to say something, if that's okay with you.” Sasuke asked. Sasuke would like to see me? I can't believe it. But Sakura wouldn't want to show that she feels so excited about it.
 
“That's fine with me, but why can't you say it now? I mean, if it's something quick to say.” Sakura said, pretending that she wasn't interested to be alone with him. “It's something important, I guess. I really need some help, you know. Can I count on you?” Sasuke asked expectantly.
 
“Alright, I'll see you later, Sasuke-kun.” Sakura said. Sasuke nodded and went away back to his room. Sakura returned to sit on her bed. All the girls were there - Sakura, Ino, Tenten, Hinata and Temari.
 
“Sasuke asked to see you tonight? Oh my gosh! It's a date, isn't it?” Tenten exclaimed. Sakura frowned at her. “Of course, it isn't a date. He just needs a friend, that's all. Besides, I wouldn't want a date with him. Don't think that way, Tenten.” Sakura said a bit seriously.
 
Tenten chuckled. “Okay, I apologize for my way of thinking. But what if you're really the one Sasuke likes? Would you leave Naruto alone?” She asked. Sakura frowned again, but glanced at Ino to see her reaction. Ino, surprisingly, did not have any violent or yet excited reaction. She looked like she's expecting a reasonable answer from Sakura.
 
“Sakura wouldn't do such a thing like that. I know her well and I trust her. She won't leave Naruto and I think they made a promise to each other. Right, Sakura?” Temari said. Sakura thought for a while.
 
“In the first place, Sasuke wouldn't like me. He would only like me… once it snows in Konoha!” Sakura answered excitedly. Everyone stared at her like she was crazy about her answer. “Are you silly, Sakura? It's like a hundred years ago when it last snowed in Konoha! It's impossible to snow again, you know.” Tenten reasoned out.
 
“Yeah, it snowed in Konoha when the Second Hokage was still ruling. My grandfather says that was the loveliest moment in the history of Konoha. He says that it was when couples got married, everyone was in peace and Konoha had no enemies. He longs for snow too but he says snow wouldn't come again… unless…” Hinata's voice vanished away.
 
“Unless what? Why did it stop snowing in Konoha? What is the truth behind it? I long for snow too, you know.” Ino said curiously.
 
“It stopped snowing in Konoha when one of the most respected ninjas in the country killed himself because the girl he loved most died of a sickness. It was told that the couple was about to get married on that day when the girl did not wake up during the morning because of her sickness. The ninja wasn't able to bear it that he killed himself.” Hinata explained sadly.
 
“Everyone was burdened about what happened to the ninja,” Hinata continued. “that they were not able to accept it also. The ninja was a very good ninja loyal to his country and to his people. The people grieved about it so much including the Hokage, and enemies took advantage of that time. They attacked Konoha and that was when the snow melted slowly and slowly…” She paused for a while. (this story is made by the author and not in the series itself)
 
“Oh, that is so sad… I did not know that such a story in the history of Konoha existed. Do you really believe your grandfather?” Tenten asked. “Yeah, I guess so. He longs for snow up to now…” Hinata answered unhappily.
 
“But wait… you said that snow would come back unless… Unless what?” Ino asked again, not forgetting what Hinata has said a while ago. Ino herself, secretly longed for snow. Her teachers in Ninja Academy have told stories about snow and someday, she wanted to see and feel how cold it is.
 
Hinata brightened up a bit. “There has been a prophecy, my grandfather said. Snow in Konoha would fall again once `the stone-hearted learns to love, and fights for that love till the bitter end'.” They all pondered about what Hinata had just said. Sakura was the one who was most listening intently.
 
“When can the prophecy be fulfilled? I wish for snow…” Tenten said hopefully. “But hey, do you guys really believe in that prophecy? Or even in that story? Come to think of it. How can a stone-hearted person learn to love? Oh well… I still won't believe that.” Temari said strongly.
 
“Sakura... will you still wait for the time when it snows? And then you'll believe that Sasuke really likes you?” Hinata asked. “Yes, the snow will assure me. It's impossible to snow, right? That's how impossible Sasuke would have feelings for me.” Sakura replied, trying not to show the sadness in her voice.
 
“Come on, Sakura. Don't think that way. I feel that he loves you, you know. But honestly Sakura, do you still have feelings for Sasuke-kun?” Ino asked straightforwardly. She was really curious how Sakura felt for Sasuke now that he's back. She knew Sakura was hurt but was the pain still there?
 
Sakura thought for a moment. This was one question in her mind that she was ignoring to answer. But she knew and assured herself that she has forgotten all about Sasuke. But has she really gotten over him?
 
“I-i… I guess not… It's been a long time… and I have Naruto now.” Sakura told them, but she was really assuring herself that she no longer have feelings for Sasuke, even if she knew in the inside that she wasn't really sure.
 
“I'm glad to know that, Sakura. But if ever you have problems about your feelings, we're always here for you. We're glad to help you.” Temari assured. They all nodded in agreement with her.
 
“Thanks. You guys are really my true friends!” Sakura answered. She was so touched. They joined in for a group hug.
 
-at night at the top floor-
 
Sakura walked slowly towards Sasuke who was waiting at that time against the railing. He was gazing at the waters and he looked like he was thinking deeply. When Sakura saw him, a small tint of pain came back to her. This was the guy I loved all my life, she thought.
 
“Sasuke-kun…” she mumbled softly. The winds were strong and brushing against their faces. The stars lightened up the night sky and shone upon the two. Sasuke glanced at Sakura and smiled at her. Then he looked back upon the waters.
 
“Glad you came. Thought you wouldn't come at all.” Sasuke said. Sakura leaned against the railing and started fixing her eyes on the waters, like Sasuke is doing. “Were you waiting for so long? I had to finish fixing up some things in our room. Sorry to keep you waiting, Sasuke-kun.” Sakura apologized.
 
“It's okay, but I'm really glad you're here. I really need someone to talk to right now. I'm feeling so confused.” Sasuke explained worriedly. Sakura studied him for a while and thought that something seems to be bothering him.
 
“You can tell me, Sasuke-kun… I'm here to listen.” Sakura comforted.
 
“I want to remember everything.” Sasuke said straightforwardly. He had to say it right then and there. Sakura was surprised.
 
“Y-you want to? But it will take some time for you to remember everything. You have to wait, Sasuke-kun.” Sakura replied. “But I think I needed to. I need to remember my past right now. I want to know if enemies are still awaiting me or someone is plotting against me. Please, Sakura, help me. I want to remember all the techniques right away. I don't know what to do.” Sasuke said worriedly. Sakura felt so sorry for him. Yeah, she also wanted him to remember everything - the times and memories they shared together. But if he does, then things won't be the same as it was now. Sasuke would be irritated of Sakura again and he wouldn't notice her.
 
Sasuke would remember the times when she annoyed him and tried her best to make him notice. He would be rejecting her again, if he remembered that she has no special talent and all she knew was chakra control. She didn't want him to remember about those bad times.
 
“W-why? Why, Sasuke? Why do you want to remember everything?” Sakura asked, in a half-worried tone. “I want to know how people regard me from way back. Did they look at me as a wicked person? I want to know, Sakura-chan…” Sasuke said.
 
“You're not a wicked person, Sasuke. You're nice…” Sakura replied, although she knew it wasn't entirely true. Everyone knew Sasuke's cold and serious attitude and how he doesn't care about what is happening around him. His heart used to be full of revenge and hatred, and Sakura wasn't sure whether it is still the same as now. But to Sakura, no matter how vengeful he is, she still loves him the same as ever and accepts all his attitudes.
 
“Am I really nice, Sakura? Even in your eyes? I feel like I used to be an evil and dreadful person.” Sasuke asked, a bit doubting about what Sakura had just said. “I think you're nice, Sasuke-kun… And I can accept you as you are…” Sakura replied sweetly.
 
“Thanks, Sakura. You're really a nice friend.” Sasuke replied. A friend, that's what I am and no more than that, Sakura thought painfully. Even if he has amnesia, he still wouldn't learn to love me. What must I do? I know I must not think of these things since Naruto might be hurt. Naruto! Naruto might see us and I don't want to cause another wound on Sasuke's face! These filled Sakura's thoughts.
 
“Sasuke-kun… I'd have to leave now… The night is getting deeper… You know, I have to get some sleep too after all that happened today…” Sakura said, forming a really good excuse. Sasuke studied her for a while.
 
“Hn.” Sasuke murmured coldly, without bothering to look at her. Sakura's heart skipped a beat. Hn? That was Sasuke's usual reaction. How come he remembers? But was he angry at Sakura for wanting to leave?
 
“Good night, Sasuke-kun…” Sakura mumbled sadly and sweetly, as she walked away. “Night.” Sasuke whispered back.