Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Behind The Masks ❯ Illusions of Happiness ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
“…..” speaking
`Itachi' thoughts
I love you're eyes `Tachi flash back/dream
 
 
Behind the Masks
 
 
Chapter 1
(Illusions of happiness)
 
 
Kisame is bored. Bored out of his wits.
“That damn brat! He'd normally be back by now. ”
Since late yesterday afternoon, he'd done ALL he could possibly try to do. The first couple of hours were acceptably entertaining enough. He'd gone hunting for their dinner; he managed to get his hands on a young bear perfectly enjoying his little revenge on the fish eating omnivore. They'll be having meat for a couple of days. On his way back a couple of hunter-nins tried to- `What did they say they'll do? Ah- that they'd cut me up like sardines and feed me to a bear.' Of course that caused him to laugh maniacally… He could still remember they're reaction when he walked up to them carrying an actual bear. How could they compare him to tuna?! `Can't they SEE the teeth?! I'm more of a shark! If they're going to degrade me, a barracuda would be acceptable enough.'
He sighed exasperatedly. Those were the only interesting things that happened after that, he returned to the cave they managed to find. After cooking, eating, there came reminiscing and then to just plain staring at the moldy rocks.
It's not like Itachi is a great companion cause he's almost not there. Heck- he seldom speaks. However, he listens. He may not be one to talk but he actually listens and if pestered enough can give sound and reasonable advice and opinion.
As an S-class missing nin compassion is never gonna give good results but the darn Uchiha is such a head ache. Too mature and too withdrawn. He makes others worry, if not for the fact that the man was way too powerful and ruthless he'd already be looking for him. The other akatsuki especially Deidara would always look at him questioningly every time he called the Uchiha Itachi a brat. He'd either get a glance or a glare but he'd always laugh it off. They had always thought he was suicidal. He'd think that as well if not for that rather weird feeling he gets whenever he tries to discern the Uchiha's responses.
He sighed at the thought. That boy makes him feel old. It's almost like being a brother to a seemingly heartless S-class missing nin.
 
….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX… ;
 
“…Hmn…”
As the gentle breeze caressed his cheeks and the early sun warmed him, he scrunched his face in irritation. It's not like he's low blooded or anything, he's actually a morning person but he can't even remember ever sleeping that… comfortably. Well, the times he slept due to medication are an exemption. Sleeping in the hospital is no where near comfortable. It's just that. Sleeping with the absence of dreams, for someone like him even nightmares can be welcomed, anything just not the darkness and solitude. The pain can be welcomed.
“Wake up, Naruto.”
A gentle nudge on his shoulders made him turn to his side and bundle up. He'll keep the moments peace for a little while more.
“…Naruto…” A small crease appeared between his brows at the persistent person. He buried himself on the sheets. `Hmm…? Something smells nice…'
“Little one… wake up…”
Little one… wake up. I'll be going soon, won't you at least bid me goodbye?”
“WAIT!!!” Disoriented, he tried to make sense of what happened. `A dream? Hmn… what's that scent?' He looked down at his knees and saw a midnight blue sheet. Pulling it up to his nose his eyes widened in recognition. With a huge smile he turned to the person next to him and…
 
….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX… ;.…..
 
“AHHHHHHHH!”
“Damn perverted old man! Don't keep you're face so close!” panting, he tried to straighten himself. He moved back so much he almost dropped to the lake. `Oh- thank goodness. Wait!'
“Where's the lady?!” He frantically scanned through the clearing looking for her when-
“Ah. Aaaah… I forgot she isn't a lady…” He nodded to himself in contemplation while his hands scratched his skin. “ Hmn… OUCH!”
“What the heck was that for, Ero- sennin?!” Jiraiya simply moved back while his finger covered his ear-. The action of course triggered…
“DAMN PERVERTED OLD MAN!!!!”
“KID! Shut UP!!! Geez, stop daydreaming would you? Besides, based on what you were muttering about I should say I'm surprised.”
“Hu-h?!What are you on about?” The white-haired sannin simply leaned in closer and said to him in a straight face, “So, you're gay.”
“WHAT?! Where did you get that????? Besides, where's the other person in this camp? I needed to talk to him.” Jiraiya simply shook his head. `brat can easily be distracted. “I didn't see anyone when I came around kid. Who is this guy anyway?”
“Hmn… I don't know. I was out of it yesterday; you know training and all that- ah! I just remembered. Remind me to never train like that again. The one where I train so hard it's as if I was attacked by akatsuki when I'm done, okay?” When the kid looked at him with those matter-of-fact eyes he groaned and muttered to himself, “Ugh so easily distracted.” Then the kid continued his explanation/ rambling as if he never said anything.
“Moving on…I passed out here and then I woke up when this person walked up to me. Well, I couldn't see him since… well… the light was dim and I was, you know… out of it… and…”
“Agh! I understand, brat. Do you even know how much you squint your eyes even if it's noon?! If I didn't know any better I'd think you're blind! Just get on with the damn story.” The kid just `hmph-ed' at him. “Anyway, I mistook him for a lady since well… I just… thought- he -smelled -nice- and -besides-he-had-this-long-soft-hair and…oh! I should've remembered Neji…I really shouldn't jump into conclusions when it comes to gender and hair.” Jiraiya slapped his forehead in irritation, note- to-self, never make the kid tell stories. He was cut off from his inward groaning when the kid said what he thought he said.
“Before I fell asleep again he called me… er… `saiai'?” Jiraiya gaped. The kid just said that a man called him `beloved' with such a straight face you could almost think the kid doesn't know what that meant. And sure enough-
“…wait… why'd a guy call me that?!” The old sannin openly laughed at the changing colors passing the boy's face. From pale to a light blush to full blown flushed and then paled again. “Wah!!! Don't tell me he's a pervert?! Why am I surrounded by perverts?! He might have just saw me and decided to lust over me!” At this Jiraiya didn't know if he'd laugh or get mad. He looked with amazement and irritation at the frantic blond who have just looked at himself checking at his clothing. `What does the idiot expect?'
“Get a hold of yourself, brat. You already said it was dark. Ever considered that that person mistook you for someone and when he realized he was mistaken, he left? Or it could be that he was just playing with you?”
“Do I even look like a freaking girl?! Can't you see my body built and my ruggedly manly face?!”
“No. What I see is a blond idiot with bright blue eyes who pouts like a girl. Not to mention you're short and no matter what you say you're thin. That's because you only eat ramen. If not for the Kyuubi, you'd be a fat girly boy.”
Just as the boy finishes throwing every obscene curse he had on his vocabulary at his supposed sensei the legendary pervert decided to interrupt. “Naruto…” his voice was every bit serious but,“… you damn perverted Ero-sennin who can't fucking recognize a boy from a girl, don't freaking insinuate that…”
…he was ignored…and so…
“NARUTO!!! Shut-up before I slit you're throat!”
The boy stopped. He paled. He glared….
“You're one to TALK?!”
…then he screamed.
 
….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX… ;.
 
“Took you long enough…”
“Hn. Anything happened?”
Bluish- black brows rose up, `Did Itachi say something more than a `Hn'?'
“Nah. Here let's eat. I caught a bear yesterday and on the way back I defeated a couple of hunter- nins. Nothing important happened.”
“Hn. You were called a fish?”
“No.”
“Hn.”
“Canned sardines…”
“……”
Kisame stared for a while and then he smirked. “It would seem `Itachi's alone time' turned out to be entertaining. Managed to relax Itachi?... or did you finally get laid?” Kisame babbled on and on through out Itachi's breakfast and the Uchiha simply ate not even acknowledging his partners presence and then… it went quiet.
Kisame let out a long sigh and said in a more serious tone…
“How was you're rest? Feeling better, Itachi?”
He was simply spared a brief crimson glance and a little nod as if that was all he needed to say. Better be sure Itachi, we have a mission at the hidden mist. It won't be a problem now would it?
“You doubt my competence.” It was a calm statement; there were no hint of a threat not even coldness but a chill descended. The man didn't even look at him! Trust Itachi to be scary without even trying, but Kisame is one of the seven swordsmen of the mist, he's used to the chills.
“Yes.”
“I am fit to fight… even against you.”
The shark man simply gave Itachi a jaw filled grin. If he was to translate what Itachi had just said it'll come out like this, `Fight? I can kill you right now.' Why was he still alive? He'd have to thank whatever it might have been that put the Uchiha to a better mood. His grin widened at what he's seeing.
“It would seem you slept well.”
The Sharingan user was currently lounging on the cave floor with his back on the wall. He was gazing on the opening of the cave with his usual blank face. When they say that he was always emotionless they meant it as such. He was always calm, graceful, moved so naturally even when he killed. He never flinched, smiled nor showed any weakness. He's impassive to the point that he couldn't care less if he bleeds. He'll attend to it only because it'll hinder his mission. His eyes are always alert with the sharingan ever present. It is filled with something even he can't account for but it was not blood lust. However, he was sure it is something wearisome. Contrary to belief he doesn't glare. That would equate to emotions and so he doesn't. He's naturally intimidating coupled with his eyes that anyone would be wary. However… today the aura is lighter… it can still make anyone in Akatsuki wary but he can tell it was lighter.
“Hn.”
[oh tachi-kun slept well enough…kukuku]
…XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX…
“Naruto! Hurry it up would you?! What are you doing anyway?”
The boy simply tried to glare back at him while he checked his things. He's currently folding something when the old pervert started shouting again.
“Why are you taking that with you?”
“Why? Is there anything wrong with it?” He asked this innocently that the old pervert just had to scowl. `The kid knows why I ask…' He grit his teeth and tried to humor the child.
“For one thing, that piece of blanket isn't yours, next it belongs to someone you don't know and said person was no longer here when you woke all in all, the guy was suspicious.”
The blond simply rolled his eyes and said, “Come on you old pervert, that person wasn't even a ninja and besides how can a piece of cloth hurt me? I don't sense chakra within it, do you? No, right? Besides it's warm and it's nice. Who cares who the past owner was? He left it, I have it, he wants it back he better find me first.”
The white -haired sannin murmured something close to `that was I was afraid of…' but the kid does have a point. There are no chakra traces on the blanket or the surroundings- other than the kid's that is. The only thing that was bothering him was that the piece of cloth looked expensive. `Who would leave something like that to a stranger?
It was made of a thin light material which is surprisingly warm. It was black all over with an embroidery of a blood red chrysantimum at one side. It was a simple design but no where near cheap. A while back, they noticed a broach at the middle of the embroidery. It was a silver spiral much like the symbol on Naruto's jacket but with a red stone set on the middle. The damn expensive looking thing can be used as a darn cloak with the broach as its clamp. A darn fashionable cloak. If only the kid would wear something nice beneath it.
He turned his back on the kid and started a slow pace forward. The kid will follow later. He sighed after a while, “The kid doesn't even have a clue how expensive and valuable that piece of cloth is. He must only like it cause it's warm. Darn kid and his obsession with warm things…”
He smiled a bit and whispered in an almost bitter voice, “Damn deprived idiot.”
Naruto on the other hand was busy trying to fold the soft light thing to perfection. He cares not why he suddenly felt attached to it. It was lovely, yes but it was warm. Maybe it was because it was given to him. There are only a handful of things he received, Iruka's head protector which he still keeps, the first's necklace he got from Tsunade which is hanging on his neck, and even the ointment Hinata gave him on the chuunin exam. He can't keep the gifts his porn-reading sensei gave him. They'd rot, but at least it provided food other than ramen. Yup. He'll consider the cloth a gift. If the owner would like it back, then he'd just consider that he's taking it for safe keeping.
The blond smiled after a while and buried his face on the piece of cloth.
“Besides, it smells nice.”
TBC...