Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Clippings and Snippets ❯ Treble and Bass ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Treble and Bass
By: emeraldoni
Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto, not me.
Keyword: Betrayal
 
 
That's how life went, how the earth turned, how the world spun. That's how it would have to be, inevitable, like her death, bound to happen by the gleaming chains called fate. It was a dark void in her mind, a screaming betrayal that caused the utmost depravity for her self to act so...undignified.
 
Deep in her heart, as her fingers bled from digging, digging, digging—she knew it wasn't his fault. But the pain… oh, the pain. It caught at her and clutched like a jagged fishing hook and every attempt at un-lodging it just caused another wave of sharp bleeding to appear before her eyes—in her chest.
 
How could this have happened? Orochimaru-sama had said it would be easy. He had said the Leaf shinobi were weak and spineless, that this mission would be one of the easiest of them all.
 
And yet… they were all gone.
 
Her comrades, gone, un-breathing, lifeless eyes glassed over, the musical rhythms of their hearts stilled, the melody of their life's done.
 
But that couldn't be for him. He was strong. He was the elder. He was special.
 
So that couldn't have happened to him.
 
But the sand shouted otherwise, biting under her nails and creeping into her wounds. Kami forbid that he should be lying under there, breathless, blank…dead.
 
She cried out, a sob racking her thin chest, tears melding with the blood that dripped from her once bright hair. He was supposed to be the leader! The one with the power! With a flick of his pale wrist he could throw them all to the ground.
 
So why wasn't he doing just that? Why wasn't he up and awake and being cool and aloof and rude like usual?
 
And—and…
 
Wait…
 
There!
 
She began digging again, strained exuberance in every movement, every sweep of her arms as the sand that held his body in a lover-like embrace was slowly pressed to the side.
 
And finally she could see his face, pale and sallow, bones sharp over hollow cheeks and deep bruises under his eyes.
 
His breathing was shallow.
 
He was breathing.
 
He was alive.
 
“Kimimaro…” She whispered brokenly under her breath as she pulled the rest of his body from the ground. His skin was cold to her touch. Yet as she rested his head in her lap, trying not to stain his beautiful hair with her blood, she felt content, a little cold, but comfortable. After all, she finally had him close enough to embrace, finally had him leaning on her, instead of the other way around.
 
And their breathing fell in sync with each other, shallow, short, but calm.
 
She smiled as she gazed down at his face, his wonderful, amazing face. Tears streamed from her eyes, but she didn't really mind now. It was okay.
 
And that was how Kimimaro died.
 
And unlike before, unlike the hate they had once felt for each other, she did something for him.
 
Tayuya followed.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
A/N: I know that was kind of an odd use of the keyword, but it's a drabble, so it doesn't have to be exact. If you have any keywords or whatever you'd like me to use, just leave it in a review or contact me and I'll try to use it.
 
Please review.
 
Until next time…
 
emeraldoni
 
Next Keyword up: KakaSaku (I know it's not the traditional keyword, but I want to try it out anyway. Hopefully I won't completely bomb it.)