Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Clippings and Snippets ❯ One of a Kind ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One of a Kind
By emeraldoni
Disclaimer: Naruto is owned by Masashi Kishimoto, not me.
Keyword/Pairing: KakaSaku
 
She had never been all that close to Kakashi, now that she thought back on things. In fact, she hadn't been really close to any of them. Each of them had a bond, unbendable, unbreakable, no matter what betrayal came about somehow that link was still there.
 
But that's not how it was with Sakura. With every step she took away from them, the distance grew. With every exchanged word, her knowledge lessened. Naruto and Sasuke had always been best friends, and Kakashi had always been Sasuke's teacher. Yet there was no place for her there. Sakura was the weak link, the outcast, the annoyance that was tolerated, but just that. She was Team 7's growth, a fungus, if you will.
 
And that was why she was so surprised when Kakashi had stopped for her as she sat crying under the barren tree. It wasn't that anything horrible had happened. No life changing tragedy took place, or some breaking of her soul. She only shed tears from the sudden overwhelming of life that had taken a hold of her. She had just been practicing a jutsu, unable to get it right, when all her shortcomings, everything wrong and bad, washed over her, drowning her out and leaking through her now red eyes. It was about a few minutes after that her ex-sensei had shown up.
 
Sakura didn't think he noticed at first, for he waved at her with his normal lackadaisical exuberance, eliciting a lazy “Yo,” that comforted her just a tad. But as he came closer his step became wary and his eye latched onto her blotchy face that struggled so hard to staunch the obvious tears, lips twisting in a grimace like smile.
 
“Kakashi-sensei! Hey!”
 
He stopped a few feet away from her, dark eye foreign with concern, “Sakura…”
 
She just ignored it, covering it with a light tone that wouldn't stop breaking, “Where have you been? I haven't seen you in forever. I think it's been months.”
 
With a little sigh, Kakashi settled himself next to her, leaning against the tree as Sakura tried to conspicuously wipe her cheeks free from anymore teary signs. She tried not to scowl at the fact that his face was hidden (for she sat on his left side) and that he had gotten his book out.
 
Finally after a few moments, Kakashi spoke, “I've been fine. You?”
 
Sakura released a sigh. It was already uncomfortable enough with Kakashi; the silence was just outright awkward though.
 
“Good, I guess, just working, you know, the usual.”
 
“Hm.”
 
Sakura relaxed against the tree, trying to feign aloofness. For some reason she had the feeling that Kakashi wouldn't be tricked, but it didn't hurt to try anyway, right? Her burning eyes trailed across the devastated clearing (where her frustrations had spilled over) and then back to Kakashi's covered face. Even after eight years, she still hadn't seen his face bare—as a whole, at least. She had seen pieces; the chin, the nose, the mouth, but never altogether. It was more that Naruto could say he had seen—there were some plusses to being a medic-nin after all—but it just wasn't the same thing.
 
Sakura was jolted out of her reverie by Kakashi's low voice, “I saw Sasuke the other day. He's doing well.”
 
“That's good for him, I guess.”
 
Kakashi answered with another, “Hm.”
 
There was another silence where Sakura contemplated over his words. Was he trying to make conversation with her? Did Kakashi think Sasuke was the only way to make conversation with her? Well. She would just have to prove that wrong, wouldn't she?
 
“Hey, Kakashi?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Do you have a girlfriend?”
 
“What?”
 
He wasn't looking at his book anymore. In fact, he had put Icha Icha Paradise down in his lap, one gray eye facing her in clear shock and confusion.
 
“I said; do you have a girlfriend, Kakashi-sensei?”
 
“Uhm. I don't think that's a very appropriate question, Sakura.”
 
Sakura started up at him innocently, faux naivety in her eyes, “How come? Did I say something wrong?”
 
Kakashi was silent for a moment, and she swore she saw incredulity in his one eye, “Are you alright, Sakura?”
 
Sakura smile up at him slightly, trying to ignore her cheeks which seemed to be quivering with her forced smile. She hoped she didn't look like too much of an idiot.
 
“Mmhm. Why?”
 
“No reason.”
 
Both of them sat back simultaneously. Kakashi's face hidden to her once again, though she had a feeling he couldn't see her. That didn't really matter when it concerned Kakashi, thought Sakura, considering that he must be aware of things with some other sense since his head was always buried in his pervy book.
 
Sakura drew her legs up slightly and leaned forward, draping her elbows over her knees.
 
“I don't have a girlfriend.”
 
For a second Sakura had no idea what he was talking about—too shocked that he had answered her question, but then her brain kicked in.
 
“Aa. You know, I don't really see you as the type to have a girlfriend.” Sakura pondered for a moment, mouthing her thoughts, “But then again, I'm not the type to have a boyfriend either, huh?”
 
“Hmm. Maybe.”
 
“Maybe we're one of a kind, eh, sensei?” Sakura slightly elbowed him in the side, forgetting the awkwardness that had settled over them like ice, now thawing out in the face of her teasing.
 
“Maybe, Sakura.” Kakashi was silent for another moment, “You should have boys all over you. I'm shocked you don't.”
 
Sakura wished she could see the other side of his face, to see his expression, but it was no use, his hitai-ate and mask were in the way. She could hear what was on the other side, but not confirm it with her eyes.
 
“Well, same goes for you, sensei. I have a temper, so boys are too scared, but you're not that old.” She grinned at him, “Maybe if you got your head out of those dirty books of yours you could snatch a girl.”
 
“Sorry, Sakura. The girl would have to understand the way of Icha Icha.”
 
“I guess that's the same with boys and my temper then.”
 
Kakashi raised his novel to his face, body tense, “Your temper isn't that bad, Sakura.”
 
Sakura was silent for a moment, trying to not pay attention to the fact that a slight blush had crossed her features.
 
“Well, your books aren't that bad either. I think my favorite is the fifth volume.”
 
Kakashi lowered the book again, turning to face her, “Sakura…”
 
“Well,” she said defensively, “I had to see what all the fuss was about.”
 
“You're not old enough.”
 
“I'm twenty.”
 
“…”
 
Sakura smiled, glancing at her watch.
 
“Oh crap! I'm late! I was supposed to be at the hospital a half an hour ago!”
 
Scrambling about, Sakura started to rush off.
 
“Sakura.” She paused at the sound of her name, pausing to face Kakashi, “Don't cry anymore.”
 
She smiled softly, striding back over to him. Slowly she hunched down, looking him in the eye, before quickly pressing a quick peck to his masked lips.
 
“Thanks, Kakashi.”
 
And with that, she walked away, ignorant of Kakashi's eyes latched to her retreating form.
 
They would talk again, he decided.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
A/N: I know, that was really long for a drabble, but the story ran away with itself. Kakashi is a hard character to write. I think I may have to work with him some. It's similar to when I first started writing with Gaara. Maybe I'll do a short story sometime or something. This was fun though.
 
Again, I'm open to any other keywords, themes, pairing, etc… until someone suggests something I'll just write whatever.
 
Please review.
 
Until next time…
 
~emeraldoni