Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Assassin ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
After being formally introduced to everyone and being temporarily assigned to Itachi and Kisame’s group, the meeting is unofficially drawn to a close. I knew the meeting was over when all the projections disappeared seemingly at the same time and all that was left was me, Itachi, Kisame, Tobi, and Deidara. Staying a few minutes to chat, I learn that Tobi and Deidara were only there because they were in the area. They were also happy to have me in the group, and looked forward to getting to know me at another time, as they had to leave soon on an unknown mission.

Eventually, Kisame escorted me to my room. Upon reaching the door, he states that his room is down the hall, and Itachi’s is right next to mine, should I need anything. Grateful, I step into my room and close the door behind me. Worn out because of the day, I flop facedown onto the bed. Despite my exhaustion, I am unable to sleep. I’m just too excited at the prospect of actually being a part of something. Eventually I turn to my side and see a candle on the table next to the bed. Using my control of flame, I light the candle, sit up, and take a look around. It is a very simple room. All it contains the bed I lay on, the small table, a chair, and a simple wardrobe. There are no windows but there is another door, which I assume leads to a restroom. My eye is drawn back to the wardrobe, which I now see is cracked slightly open. Wearily, I stand up and walk over to it. Thinking to shut it, I instead open it and see an Akatsuki cloak, a bamboo hat, and even the purple nail polish that the members are commonly seen wearing. Huh, they must have servants here that I haven’t seen, or else how would they have known to stock my wardrobe? There couldn’t have been any time to do this since the meeting started. Oh well..

Since I am already up, I decide to inspect the restroom. It is a lot nicer than I expect. The walls are black, like everything else seems to be. The toilet, counter, and sink are somewhat simple, with the counter having a perfectly unflawed crystal mirror above it- a nice touch. I look into the mirror and see the circles under my eyes, and the dirt smudges on my face. Seeing this, I look to the tub. It is very grand and I can see that it has options for hot and cold water. We must be near a hot spring, nice. My mind made up that I’m not going to be able to sleep any time soon, I decide to take a bath and wash the grime of travel from my skin. I turn on the hot water and undress as the tub fills up. Just as the water fills up about three quarters of the tub, I step into the steaming water and simply relax, thinking about the events leading up to this moment. I wash my hair and skin and, before I know it, I fall asleep. It is a deep and dreamless sleep, I am woken a couple of hours later by a knock on my bedroom door. I call out, “Just a minute!” and reluctantly get out of the tub. I grab a black towel from the counter and wrap it around me. I then try to comb the tangles out of my hair as I walk over to my door and open it. I see a girl around my age whom I’ve never seen before. “Um, do I know you?”

Shyly, she replies, “No, I’m afraid not. My name is Momo, I work here. I’ve been charged with making you feel as at home as possible.”

“Oh,” I say as I adjust the towel wrapped around me, “My name is Akane, I am glad to meet you. Are you the one who put those things in my wardrobe?”

“Yes, it was me. I would have given them to you in person, but I had no idea if you would be having any free time from the time you joined us, so I decided to play it safe and went ahead and placed it all in your wardrobe. Now, is there anything that you require of me? Are you hungry?”

“Well, if you could bring me some onigri along with udon in and hour, I would much appreciate it. Also, what time is it?”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” She reaches into a pocket in her apron and pulls out a small clock, “I forgot to give you this. Please forgive me. Also, I will have the food ready in an hour, like you requested.”

“Oh, it is no problem, and thank you.” I take the clock from her and see that it is nine at night.

“Well, good bye for now,” says Momo cheerfully as she backs out of the door and turns to walk down the hall.

I place the clock on the table next to my bed and open my pack. I take out my spare clothes and put them on, as the ones I was wearing before are dirty. I should ask Momo about where to wash my clothes when she gets back. After towel-drying my hair, I walk back to the wardrobe and grab the nail polish and then walk over to sit on my bed. I expertly paint my nails and toes and then I lie back and wait for them to dry. Again, my mind wanders over to him. I wonder what he is doing. How is he? I remember that his room is next to mine and for a second I think of going over to visit, but then I remember that he is probably asleep by now. I sigh and then, nails dry, walk back to the wardrobe and grab the cloak and put it on. A perfect fit. I go back into the bathroom and look in the mirror. “Hm, not too bad.” Just as I say this, someone knocks on the door. Ah, Momo is here with the food. Once again I go to the door and open it. Instead of Momo, however, I am standing face to face with Itachi. Itachi! “Oh, hello. Is something wrong?”

“No.. I just wanted to check up on you. How do you like your room?” was his reply.

Woah. I never expected him to say anything like that. “Everything is, fine. I’m glad to be here.”

“That’s good. Also, we are leaving tomorrow. We are going to Konoha to capture the nine-tails.”

“Oh, I see. Okay then. Thank you.” Then he hesitates. “Anything else?”

For a second it seems as if he is going to say something, then changes his mind. “No, it’s nothing.” Then he walks out the door in the direction of his room.

I slowly close the door behind him, and just stand there. What just happened? A few minutes later, I’m still standing there in the same spot in front of my door, when Momo arrives with my food. I take it without speaking and sit down in my chair and eat, trying to figure out what he was about to say.
Converting /tmp/phpjX0o2I to /dev/stdout