Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Endless ❯ Denial ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mikoto had the perfect family.

Oh, not that they were perfect. Fugaku could have been less wrapped up in his duties as clan head and Itachi could have been more of a child, and God knows she had her own share of bad days and unfulfilled wishes. However, they were perfectly imperfect, Fugaku was caring and had fewer faults than other shinobi and Itachi was genius and of course Sasuke was just perfect, bright and sweet and his older brother adored him. The point being that her family was happy and that's all that Mikoto ever wished for.

Mikoto had the perfect family. That wasn't the case anymore.

She doesn't know when it started, when Itachi joined the ANBU or the day that Shishui died or perhaps the day Sasuke came home with burns around his mouth and on his hands and looked away when she began dabbing salve on them. Somehow, her perfect, close-knit family started falling apart at the seams and she didn't know how to stop it. It seemed every day the lines on Fugaku's face grew deeper, Itachi grew more distant and even little Sasuke seemed to be abandoning her. Nothing she said, nothing she did would bring the most important men in her life back to her. At night, alone while Fugaku and Itachi were out on ANBU missions and Sasuke was asleep she cried herself to sleep at night.




She looked down. Once, on a mission down to the very tip of Tea Country she had seen water this clear, clear enough to enough to see all the individual, sparkling white grains of sand. She had never seen water so clear, so blue before. She had brought home a string of beads from Tea, blue turquoise the same shade as the sea. She wondered what had happened to them.

This water was blue, but not the sunlit blue of her memories, darker and duller. And it was clear, but it felt like the cleanliness that came from the lack of anything living in it. No bright colorful fish or coral here, just dead, empty water over dull sand.

When she looked up she saw an island. Like the water, it was dark and lifeless, no birdcalls or breezes disturbed the silence. Even the rich foliage looked leaden and dying. A scarecrow, with some strange huge orange thing for a head passed by, shoveling grey sand and complaining.

Wait, a scarecrow?

Mevyn Pumpkinhead

"I'm sorry," she said turning around to stare at the young man accosting her. "I didn't see you there."

He didn't look at her. Instead his eyes (were those stars she saw in those depthless hollows?) turned towards the decaying island. It's dying.

"Yes"

Now those stars (eyes?) turned to her. It's yours.

"Mine?" she was astounded. This had to be a dream. Otherwise she would be threatening this man with a kunai or escaping under a genjutsu. Except . . . where were her kunai? Or senbon? She always carried at least a shuriken and now she didn't even have that!

Yes. This is one of the skerries of Dreaming. This one . . . this is the one you created.

"I . . . I did?" She turned back to look at the island. "I'm sorry. It appears to be dying."

It is. And I can't figure out why. Was there frustration in his . . . it wasn't a voice, at least not exactly. She more felt his words than heard them. That's why I've brought you here. It's your dream, perhaps you can tell me what's wrong.

Her dream? Her dream was fading before her eyes in the real world. If this was dependent on that no wonder it was starting to fall apart.

I see. Had she said anything? She didn't remember. One bone white arm reached out and waved. There, Uchiha Mikoto. There is your dream. It will always be here waiting for you.

She turned. There along the beach were her two sons. Itach was kneeling by Sasuke's side, carefully pointing out the different types of creatures in a beach pool. The sun highlighted the Uchiha fans, the ones she had carefully stitched onto their clothing.

"Oh, Sasuke-chan, be careful. There are crabs in that pool and we all remember what happened last time."




Mikoto smiled at Itachi. She had already heard the commotion from outside. She knew it was only a matter of minutes before Fugaku showed up. She was glad for the few moments Itachi was giving her before the inevitable.

"Itachi-kun, take care of your little brother, please?"

"Yes, kaasan."

She closed her eyes and fell into the dream.




She opened her eyes to a hot summer's day.

"Kaasan! Kaasan!" She scooped up Sasuke, her little baby boy. "Now Itachi-kun, what have I told you about teasing your little brother?"

"Yes, kaasan." Itachi carefully placed the crustacean back down on the sand.

"And Sasuke-chan, you're getting to be a big boy now. Big boys aren't scared of crabs, are they?"

Her little one rubbed his eyes. "No, kaasan."

She cuddled him. "It's okay. Now, I hear your father calling. He must be back with the watermelon. Let's not keep him waiting boys."

"Yay! Watermelon!" Sasuke clapped chibi hands and smiled. She shifted him into one arm then held out her hand for Itachi to take.

Mikoto has the perfect family.