Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Endless ❯ Moratorium ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Obito turned away from the cave and toward the battle between the Konoha and Iwa ninjas. Perhaps he was a coward, but standing around staring at the place where he'd . . . it made him feel a bit queasy. He didn't want to think about what had just happened and focused on his teammates instead.

Kakashi wasn't doing well. Even if he was prodigy and had just been made jounin there was no way he could win. Tired, out-numbered and having to protect Rin as well, Obito didn't need the Sharingan to see how this was going to turn out. He wondered if he could help Kakashi, but when he raised his hand to pull away the goggles, he realized they weren't there. In fact, looking down, he wasn't all there. He could see the crushed ribs through his torn shirt. He raised his left hand to feel his face then dropped it. He didn't think he wanted to know what he looked like right now. For the same reason he kept his right hand in his pocket, rather then taking it out and looking at it.

Obito felt relief when he saw his teacher save his teammates. Even if Sensei hadn't made it in time for himself, he didn't want Rin and Kakashi joining him any time soon.

If they joined him at all. Obito wasn't sure what he had expected, but hanging around like this wasn't it. Actually, if he had been expecting anything, he had been expecting nothing at all. Being a ninja, in Obito's opinion wasn't conducive towards believing in an afterlife. Frankly, he suspected most ninja were atheists, like himself.

"Actually, the ratio of believers to non-believers is higher among ninjas, soldiers and other people in high-risk populations than it is among civilians and people who live relatively peaceful lives." He whirled around. Behind him was a woman, black hair and pale, dead skin, wearing a weird symbol on a thong around her neck. She smiled at him. "Hi there!"

"A-what-uh-you can see me?" He had just died hadn't he? So why was this woman talking to him?

"Sure can."

"But, I'm dead, right?"

"Yup. Surprised?"

"No, not really." Obito suddenly sat down. The shock was wearing off and his mind was starting to spin. "I mean, as a ninja, and the war and all, it was bound to happen sooner or later."

"That's true." She sat down next to him, pulled a handkerchief from god-knows-where and gave it to him. He stared at it for a second. "You look like you need this."

He realized he was crying and took it, wiping his eyes (eye? Did he have either anymore?) then blowing his nose. "Thank you. I just . . . "

"Take your time. I'm listening."

"It just hit me: there's nothing left. I mean, I haven't done anything. I haven't made jounin, I haven't gotten my first kiss, I haven't told Rin I love her. Is this all I get?"

"You got a life, kid. Whether it's three-hundred years or just a few days, that's all anybody gets."

"I'm not a kid, I'm a chuunin." he answered absently. He sniffed then wiped his eyes again. "So I guess you're . . . "

"Got it in one, kid."

"I . . . " he swallowed. "Do you know what happens . . . I mean, what happens after?"

"Varies. It depends partially on what you want and partially on what world you're in." She patted him lightly. "Is there something you have in mind?"

Obito hesitated. "Could I wait for them?"

She looked at him with fathomless eyes. "You know, that's no guarantee. They might not appreciate it."

"That's okay."

"Well, I don't usually make exceptions, but it can't hurt once in a while." She patted him on the back. "Just don't be asking for any more favors. And don't try and bargain for my time when they're all-"

"I won't. Thank you, ah . . . "

"Call me whatever you like."

"Can I call you neesan then?"

She laughed at that. "You remind me of one of my younger brothers. Yes, you can call me neesan." She stood then helped him up. "Now if you excuse me, I have some other business to do."

He watched her go to one of the Iwa nins. As she embraced the man, Obito turned away, to follow his teammates back to Konoha.

Behind him, he heard the flutter of vast wings.