Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Endless ❯ Extra: Kakashi ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kakashi followed the same routine every day.
 
All habits are bad habits for an elite ninja. Get too attached to anything and it will be used against you. A favorite food is an open invitation to be poisoned. A phobia can freeze you when speed is of the essence. A schedule is like asking to be ambushed.
 
Yet Kakashi didn't even try to change. Every day, he started off by spending hours in front of the memorial. Then strolled in late to pick up whatever assignments no one else wanted. Another challenge by Gai (they were up to what number now?) and then off to buy food and see if the latest Icha Icha was out. Some assignments might take longer, sometimes Gai would think of something interesting, but essentially his life was the same, day in and day out.
 
Today would be no different. True, this time he was teaching instead of on a mission, but the only variation is that his work would end even earlier than usual. Even the knowledge that his team included the last Uchiha and the container didn't stir him. They'd just fail his exam anyway.
 
But there was someone else at the memorial today.
 
The bushy red hair proclaimed that he wasn't from Konoha, the unusual clothes stated he might not have been from anywhere in the Ninja Nations. "Ah, excuse me?" asked Kakashi politely. The man brushed off his pants and stood up. He was tall, big-boned and muscular. He didn't look surprised to see Kakashi, which automatically made the jounin suspicious.
 
"Sorry, don't mind me. Didn't mean to intrude." He stuck out his hand towards Kakashi. Kakashi stared back at the hand.
 
"No, no problem. Er, what's your name?"
 
"Olethros"
 
"That's a very weird name." It was a clumsy gambit, but in Kakashi's defense, it was pretty early. The sun wasn't even out yet.
 
"No, actually I'm from pretty far away." The red-head withdrew his hand. "I just came by to pay my respects to some people."
 
"Oh, you have relatives or friends on the memorial?"
 
"Not exactly." Kakashi waited, but the man didn't elaborate.
 
"Staying long then?"
 
"I'm just a traveler. I never stay anywhere long." For a moment, the two were silent, just listening to their ghosts. "By the way, in some places, it's rude to ask for someone's name without giving your own."
 
"Ah, I'm sorry. My name is Hatake Kakashi."
 
Another period of silence. "Do you ever think that they would be mad at you?"
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"My older sister has a saying. That we only get a life. No matter how long or short it is, that's all we get. And that no one can guarantee what's beyond that."
 
"Ahh . . . "
 
"So I shouldn't concern myself with the dead. I deal with the living and that's what I should stick to. Leave the dead to Death."
 
"That's very-” The taller man laughed.
 
"Of course, I haven't seen Teleute for a very long time. And I think she's a bit upset. She hasn't even tried to contact me, even though she always knows where I am."
 
"Why would your sister be mad at you?"
 
"Well, I did just leave without saying goodbye. And I abandoned all my responsibilities. My older siblings take that very seriously. And of course, Del was devastated."
 
"Del?"
 
"My youngest sister. Very sweet, I think you'd like her." He took a closer look at Kakashi. "Or maybe not. You seem more Aponia's sort instead." The stranger hefted a strange pack. "I'll probably stay in town for a while. Look me up if you have the time. I'll try and cook you a meal."
 
Kakashi nodded. He would look up Olethros again, though not for a meal. The other man seemed a little too knowledgeable about Kakashi and that made the jounin even more suspicious. Still, he thought, noticing that the sun had come up during their conversation, it wouldn't hurt to give those brats today a second chance.