Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Endless ❯ Through Someone Else's Eyes ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fugaku stared at the mirror and wondered what had gone wrong.

He had a beautiful wife and two talented children. He was the head of a powerful clan. They were poised to gain control over Konoha. Everything was going according to plan. So why was he feeling as if everything was slipping out of control?

He lowered his gaze from the mirror to the sink.

Something was missing behind Mikoto's eyes. Her focus, her attention, perhaps. It was if she was still there, but trapped in her own world. And something else had been born in Itachi's. It had disturbed the calmness that had always marked his eldest son. It hid his thoughts and made Fugaku wonder if Itachi was really prepared to be the clan's link to ANBU. And in Sasuke's eyes there was an anxiety that should never appear in an eight year old boy's face.

Should he halt the coup d'etat?

No, he couldn't. For so many years Konoha had supressed the Uchiha. And now he had proof that the elders were conspiring to massacre them. Fugaku would not allow this. It was far better to strike first and to gain control over the village.

And yet was it worth the cost to his family?

It must be. He was doing this so that Itachi and Sasuke and their future generations would have a better future. He was doing this for his family, for his clan. Even if it was hard for them now, it would eventually pay off.

Wouldn't it? Could he ever be sure?

Fugaku looked up. It took him precious seconds to realize that he could no longer see his own reflection in the mirror.

A pale, black-haired, grey-eyed woman looked out at him before vanishing into roiling mists.